Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
OT:Fender shopping Keith's black Tele custom.
Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: March 8, 2019 14:42

I am seriously considering asking Fender shop to build me a Keith Richards Telecaster custom black body with the the humbucker and the single coil microphones. I don't know enough about the specs of the Keith's axe. I need help, very specific so I can get back to Fender shop with the right info and get a price on it. I don't trust Ebay or resellers.
Thank you.
Rockandroll,
Mops

Re: OT:Fender shopping Keith's black Tele custom.
Posted by: CJFP ()
Date: March 8, 2019 14:49

Which one? Micawber (Butterscotch Blonde) or the black and black one? I dont think the black one had a humbucker.

Posted by: Lien ()
Date: March 8, 2019 15:01

Why don't you ask Jerome ?

[www.jeromescustoms.com]

[www.google.com]

Date: March 8, 2019 15:06

Thank you. The black tele with the hambucker in the neck.
Rockandroll,
Mops

Date: March 8, 2019 15:06

Thank you ; I will.
Rockandroll,
Mops

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: March 8, 2019 15:45

Not sure whether anybody will have the finer details

...but Keith's number one '70s Custom is rewired with the pickup selector switch replacing one of the tone controls, with the other then presumably wired as a master tone .

The original pickup switch location in the upper body is just blanked off.

The reason for this is that the selector switch in this position gets in the way of Keith's playing style...especially with his 5 string style.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: March 8, 2019 22:17

rollmops
The black tele with the hambucker in the neck.

Mops

Yeah hambuckers give you a fat greasy tone. Yum!

Date: March 8, 2019 23:53

dcba
rollmops
The black tele with the hambucker in the neck.

Mops

Yeah hambuckers give you a fat greasy tone. Yum!

Hum, alright; you got me. But I am still looking for the specs on that 1975 black custom tele.
Rockandroll,
mops

Posted by: Midnight Toker ()
Date: March 9, 2019 00:41

Why don't you go online and look for a 1972 Fender reissue? I have one
exactly like it and it is made in Japan. You can most
likely find one on EBAY or Fender Japan.

Date: March 9, 2019 01:04

Midnight Toker

Thank you for your advice Toker. I like my guitars to be made in the USA. I am not a xenophobe, it is a choice. I like my Camembert cheese to be made in France. I am a traditionalist although in this global world of us I understand that things can be made anywhere.
Rockandroll,
Mops

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: March 10, 2019 12:18

rollmops
Midnight Toker

Thank you for your advice Toker. I like my guitars to be made in the USA. I am not a xenophobe, it is a choice. I like my Camembert cheese to be made in France. I am a traditionalist although in this global world of us I understand that things can be made anywhere.
Rockandroll,
Mops

The Custom has been released already in various forms: Mexican Classic Series, Japanese VR, American Fender Special Run (FSR), American Custom Shop. And of course, original 70's ones can still be found fairly easily.

Richard's was a 1975 one, and there was nothing special about it apart from the fact that Richards liked it. Buy a 1975 one and you can't get any closer.

Mathijs

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-03-11 09:31 by Mathijs.

Posted by: MonkeyMan2000 ()
Date: March 11, 2019 00:36

I've got a 1974 one. Middle position with a bit more bridge pickup than neck humbucker dialed in is the 1981 tone. Never going to need another guitar. The neck pickup gives you creamy lead and rhythm tones and the bridge cuts through like a knife through butter. But the nicest tones lie in between, imo.

Posted by: gwen ()
Date: March 11, 2019 08:51

I got an original ´75 black Telecaster Custom 5 years ago for around €2400 (thanks Mathijs for your help and advice), in fairly good condition. I wasnt looking for one at that time, I just stumbled across the ad one day. Even a mint original will be cheaper than a special order.

Posted by: guitarbastard ()
Date: March 11, 2019 09:52

check out rocknrollrelics [www.rocknrollrelics.net]
he's a huge keith fan and builds custom teles in the quality of fender customshop just half the price.
i have a lp-junior built by him and its the best guitar i ever had!

Date: March 11, 2019 13:18

gwen
I got an original ´75 black Telecaster Custom 5 years ago for around €2400 (thanks Mathijs for your help and advice), in fairly good condition. I wasnt looking for one at that time, I just stumbled across the ad one day. Even a mint original will be cheaper than a special order.

Thank you Gwen for pointing that out. But when you buy a second hand, how do you know that nothing has been changed on the guitar?
Rockandroll,
Mops

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: March 12, 2019 04:24

I've got a cheap Squire Tele. 5 string open G only. I crank it through any Fender amp ad get the sound I want.

Works just fine, sounds just fine. Done.

Posted by: audun-eg ()
Date: March 12, 2019 13:06

[www.ebay.com]

[www.ebay.ca]

[www.reverbnation.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-03-12 13:11 by audun-eg.

Date: March 12, 2019 13:09

GasLightStreet
I've got a cheap Squire Tele. 5 string open G only. I crank it through any Fender amp ad get the sound I want.

Works just fine, sounds just fine. Done.

I know what you mean; the player makes the guitar sound great. I agree. But there is also a value in the object itself if one wants to believe it.
Rockandroll,
Mops

Posted by: riffcliche69 ()
Date: March 12, 2019 18:29

I’ve seen the guitars made by rocknrollrelics and also recommend them.

Posted by: gwen ()
Date: March 15, 2019 23:48

rollmops
Thank you Gwen for pointing that out. But when you buy a second hand, how do you know that nothing has been changed on the guitar?
Rockandroll,
Mops

Obviously you never know for sure smiling smiley - but i did ask for many photos, including electronics, and did some research. Fender support can provide some help by email too, although they do not specialize in vintage instruments. And Mathijs helped a lot smiling smiley

If the seller is not keen on providing photos and sound samples for €2000+, let it go. The seller was a guitar shop in France, which helped too.

I remember Mathijs writing here that the original neck pickup is not used anymore on reissues, and it does not sound the same as a PAF.

Posted by: Midnight Toker ()
Date: March 16, 2019 00:56

Rollmops- Never be afraid of buying a used MIJ Fender.I have three and they play every bit as good as the nine vintage American made Fenders I own.

Avoid the MIM Fenders. Most of them a junk.

Date: March 18, 2019 12:44

Midnight Toker

I disagree. They're good instruments for the money.

Mathijs

Date: March 18, 2019 16:40

Mathijs
Midnight Toker

Mathijs[/quote
Hi Mathijs; how much importance do you put on the country of origin?When you look or play a Fender "made in USA" vs one "made in Mexico" does "country of origin" enter your mind and if it does ,what are your thoughts?
Thank you
Rockandroll,
Mops

Date: March 18, 2019 16:57

rollmops
Hi Mathijs; how much importance do you put on the country of origin?When you look or play a Fender "made in USA" vs one "made in Mexico" does "country of origin" enter your mind and if it does ,what are your thoughts?
Thank you
Rockandroll,
Mops

These days, with CNC routers, there isn't much difference between Mexico, Japan and USA made instruments. The main difference lies in species and quality of wood, and the hardware used.

I find USA and Japan instruments on par as far as workmanship and quality of woods is concerned. The USA instruments have better hardware (pickups, pots, tuners). Mex instruments are equally well build, but have the lowest quality hardware.

In the end -pop in a Seymour Duncan Broadcaster bridge pickup and nobody will ever notice any difference anymore.

I only find the Custom Shop instruments to be (much) better in every respect. Woods, hardware, lacquer, workmanship, it all is better than anything else. But it comes at a price.

Mathijs

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-03-18 17:52 by Mathijs.

Date: March 18, 2019 17:08

Mathijs
Midnight Toker

Mathijs

I have a black MIM Tele Custom and it is excellent. It does not live a comfortable life; yet is always in tune, intonation too.

And I know this has nothing to do with this thread, but want to mention it: started playing my Firebird recently; a lot. I can't believe I have had this jewel just sitting here idly for all this time.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-03-18 17:14 by Palace Revolution 2000.

Posted by: Phil Good ()
Date: March 18, 2019 19:15

Mathijs
Midnight Toker

Mathijs

I totally agree with Mathijs.
I never was a Fender Strat guy. But some years ago I grabbed a back then new MIM 60iesFender Roadworn model in my local shop. Just for fun and I was blown away and bought it spot on.. Must admit that the owner of the shop was away that day and the next day I got a call from him saying that he needs the guitar back because it was a demo piece that had to go from shop to shop.
Alas smoking smiley I already had put some stickers on it so I gladly had to keep it.
One of the best Strats I ever played.

Date: March 19, 2019 13:38

Mathijs
rollmops
Thank you
Rockandroll,
Mops

These days, with CNC routers, there isn't much difference between Mexico, Japan and USA made instruments. The main difference lies in species and quality of wood, and the hardware used.

I find USA and Japan instruments on par as far as workmanship and quality of woods is concerned. The USA instruments have better hardware (pickups, pots, tuners). Mex instruments are equally well build, but have the lowest quality hardware.

In the end -pop in a Seymour Duncan Broadcaster bridge pickup and nobody will ever notice any difference anymore.

I only find the Custom Shop instruments to be (much) better in every respect. Woods, hardware, lacquer, workmanship, it all is better than anything else. But it comes at a price.

Mathijs
Thank you Mathijs for sharing your knowledge & view points. You have a very pragmatic and rational analysis about the guitars;can you also be emotionally attach to a particular one and if it is the case, can you talk about it? I hope I don't bother you with my questions!
Rockandroll,
Mops

Posted by: JumpinJeppeFlash ()
Date: March 19, 2019 13:46

I would buy a japanese or a real one from the 70s even though they are really heavy.

Date: March 19, 2019 13:58

rollmops
Mathijs
rollmops
Thank you
Rockandroll,
Mops

Mathijs
Thank you Mathijs for sharing your knowledge & view points. You have a very pragmatic and rational analysis about the guitars;can you also be emotionally attach to a particular one and if it is the case, can you talk about it? I hope I don't bother you with my questions!
Rockandroll,
Mops

No I am not emotionally attached to any guitar. In the end they're all just pieces of gear that can be replaced. I own a fantastic 1959 Reissue Les Paul from 2007 that I play every day, but I find basically any '59 Reissue fantastic. There might be some differences in color or weight that one prefers, but these Custom Shop guitars are all equally great in my opinion, and hence they're replaceable.

Also I am not a vintage 'snob', in that vintage guitars are always better. Fact is that some '50 Strats and Tele's and Les Paul's are truly outstanding, but most aren't at all. I think the golden age of guitar making is now, and not in the past.

I personally believe that the main difference between vintage and new instruments are in some case the pickups (PAF's, P90's) and in some cases the bridge (Les Paul, Strat). For whatever reason vintage PAF's and P90's still sound different to modern equivalents, and vintage bridges and stop tails is what gives vintage Les Pauls (any style) their 'air' and 'chime'. Modern equivalents just don't have that quality in my opinion.

Mathijs

Date: March 19, 2019 17:47

Yeah those great PAF's out of 48th St. in NYC are going to be tough to replace.

I think that lots of what we hear nowadays in recorded guitars isn't even based in the PUs and amps anymore. It's the plug ins that are used in recording. How well a vintage sound is reproduced.
Of course this only applies to recorded music, not live.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1806
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home