Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: OT: Cassette tapes...they're back
Posted by: Svartmer ()
Date: March 8, 2019 13:04

babyblue
FrogSugar
Tapes were/are crap. I can't count the number of times the tape got eaten up by my various players and I had to rewind the reel back in using a pencil. And then with every subsequent play, the sound would be all @#$%& up in that one spot where the tape had been eaten by my player.

I can understand the resurgence of vinyl, but NOT cassettes!

CDs is the way to go. You can go forward skip a track and sound is clearer than tapes. I still got lots including Stones thinking of giving away to thrift store

I think the CD format will vanish. In the future there will be vinyl and streaming, vinyl for the sound and streaming for the convenience.

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: March 8, 2019 16:13

and you had to have a pencil handy

Sadder about pencils becoming obsolete than cassettes being obsolete.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: March 8, 2019 16:20

CD was/is the most nearly ideal medium, IMHO.

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: March 8, 2019 16:30

Elmo Lewis

CD was/is the most nearly ideal medium, IMHO.

40th Anniversary of the CD today - the prototype was introduced by Philips on 8-Mar-1979: [en.Wikipedia.org] .

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: March 12, 2019 15:02

24FPS
treaclefingers
24FPS
Oh brother. Another Hipster fad. I was at Amoeba in L.A. in the Vinyl section out of curiosity. (And to buy presents for other people. I don't buy Vinyl.) There were these two teen age girls looking at Vinyl albums for $30 dollars, I bought for $5.98 in the 70s. I had some fun with them. I told them, "Vinyl is old hat. I'm into cassettes now." They appeared deflated that they weren't on to the newest thing.

Yeah, I'm sure the middle-aged guy that was schooling them on to the 'next thing' completely deflated them.

And I'm sure the lame attempt at sarcasm deflated the middle-aged guy.

Lame? Well maybe not inspired, but that was harsh!

Posted by: FrogSugar ()
Date: March 12, 2019 23:01

babyblue
FrogSugar
Tapes were/are crap. I can't count the number of times the tape got eaten up by my various players and I had to rewind the reel back in using a pencil. And then with every subsequent play, the sound would be all @#$%& up in that one spot where the tape had been eaten by my player.

CDs is the way to go. You can go forward skip a track and sound is clearer than tapes. I still got lots including Stones thinking of giving away to thrift store

Yup! CDs rock! I was the last kid on the block to buy one - I was a diehard cassette guy before, but now...

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: March 12, 2019 23:36

Try gettin' a chewed tape
outta ya player while ya driving …… Scrreeeech CRASH !!!!!!

ROCKMAN

Posted by: colonial ()
Date: March 14, 2019 11:57

The short beep,beep...sounds at the end of some cassettes I always thought was quite cool.Can anyone tell me whats the reason for that I don't think the early made cassettes had them.
Later years cassettes come out in different colours which was cool I still have a good collection of them I play occasionally

Colonialstone,New Zealand
[facebook.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-03-14 12:00 by colonial.

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: March 14, 2019 12:20

colonial

The short beep,beep...sounds at the end of some cassettes I always thought was quite cool.Can anyone tell me whats the reason for that I don't think the early made cassettes had them.

If those 'beep,beep...sounds' were on a pre-recorded cassette, then it could be from the manufacturing process where the already pre-recorded tape comes from a large reel and will be then inserted into the cassette. The 'beep,beep...sounds' could be the markers where the production-machine has to stop:

Large version of this picture

There're some Videos on YouTube about the manufacturing - just search after "tapematic cassette".

Posted by: colonial ()
Date: March 14, 2019 13:17

Irix...thumbs up

Posted by: diverseharmonics ()
Date: March 14, 2019 20:33

Svartmer
babyblue
FrogSugar

I think the CD format will vanish. In the future there will be vinyl and streaming, vinyl for the sound and streaming for the convenience.
...and wax cylinders for the hipsters...

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 530
Record Number of Users: 184 on May 17, 2018 22:46
Record Number of Guests: 3948 on December 7, 2015 15:07

Previous page Next page First page IORR home