Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Questions on Stones SACD Issues
Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: March 7, 2019 04:08

Yeah I do have an OPPO machine
but not using at the moment …

Running a Luxman D-06 for SACD these days ……

ROCKMAN

Posted by: donvis ()
Date: March 7, 2019 05:09

I am not an audiophile but on my Pioneer SACD player, I don’t hear much difference between SACD and CD. There is one famous study that stated only around 49% of test subjects could hear a difference which approaches the probability of chance.

Posted by: IanBillen ()
Date: March 7, 2019 05:14

I'll answer. SACD was a format used for DSD encoding / sampling method (versus 44.1 96 KHZ) placed on CD's. Now you can use / download DSD files (though they are pretty limited).

Now in order to play SACD or take advantage of DSD layer on the CD or DSD Sound file you must have a DAC that supports it for DSD audio files and for an SACD you must have a 'SACD disc' player. I have both .. winking smiley (and let me tell you!). Look .. some say the technology is stillborn ..but you won't get anyone to tell you the difference is not 'something!'

Anyway SACD players are not produced much at all anymore. They are still available on ebay.

Is SACD played on an SACD player noticeable - YES

You will hear the separation of instruments extremely well (better than you've ever heard in your life), more detail and even subtle sounds you never heard before and SACD is a room filling, 'lively' sound. However for SACD remasters of older albums the difference you hear often depends on the song or release itself. In certain songs you truly notice it ...and it's amazing .. on other songs it simply sounds like an excellent remaster.

Pick up an SACD player and play the SACD of Let It Bleed (and sample the song 'Let it Bleed' itself).... You will be stunned. SACD / DSD is my fav audio format. Take it from an audiophile .. NOBODY is ever disappointed after getting an SACD player and playing an SACD. It is almost a scientific sound in how everything is so clear and separated (but still is a smooth, very natural sound ...def nothing cold or mechanical ..or harsh). With a decent stereo system SACD (on an SCCD player) presents the the instruments, and vocals in sounding like the artists are right in the room with you. Since 2002 .. I have always sought out SACD, and now DSD bc of the stunning audio they can deliver.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2019-03-07 06:16 by IanBillen.

Posted by: Kennedy ()
Date: March 7, 2019 18:47

donvis
I am not an audiophile but on my Pioneer SACD player, I don’t hear much difference between SACD and CD. There is one famous study that stated only around 49% of test subjects could hear a difference which approaches the probability of chance.

That wouldn't surprise me. The amazing sound of the ABKCO remasters may be more of a product of the exceptional DSD remastering than the format itself.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-03-07 18:47 by Kennedy.

Posted by: filstan ()
Date: March 7, 2019 23:30

Rockman
Yeah I do have an OPPO machine
but not using at the moment …

Running a Luxman D-06 for SACD these days ……

Nice rig Rockman! When in doubt, turn it up...

Date: March 7, 2019 23:37

YEAH …. the Luxman is a beautiful piece of work … made in Japan

ROCKMAN

Posted by: marquess ()
Date: March 7, 2019 23:49

Irix
jsz1002

Most likely a Sony blu ray player. Does any other brand play sacd?

Technics SL-G700 - see above: [iorr.org] or [www.Technics.com] .

The Sony UBP-X800(M2) is a 4K-Universal-Disc-Player which plays also SACD: [www.Sony.com] .

Samsung and Oppo don't make Optical-Disc-Players (even 4K) anymore.

There're are still other Manufacturers of SACD-Players:

From German HiFi-Magazine STEREO (3rd column: Prices in €)

From German HiFi-Magazine AUDIO (3rd column: Prices in €, 4th column: SACD-capability)

I have a Rega Saturn R, wich has a fantastic warm and musical sound; it does not play SACD (I have a OPPO Blu Ray player for that).
Look at the Rega cost compared to all othesr devices that rank above it, it is by far the less expensive.
I think Rega, in all their product range, presents great sound, and exceptional value for the money.

Date: March 8, 2019 00:28

Rockman
YEAH …. the Luxman is a beautiful piece of work … made in Japan

Oppo are / were 'arguably' theeee best of disc players (Krell are a nice option as well). So .... Can I have it? .. ...

I have a NAD SACD T535 with their C375 BEE AMP. My old CD player was the Sony 922 (SACD). To me both have showed 'significant' change and improvement in the songs (with varying degrees ..depending on the release and song itself).

My DAC is the TEAC UD-501 (DSD Able).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-03-08 00:30 by IanBillen.

Date: March 8, 2019 00:40

Oh dear Ian … I'd love to gift
em to ya ..but I can't part with 'em ….

Still have lots of good gear
that i'm not using .. Electrocompaniet
CD player chipped up but it don't play SACD … Meridian ...

ROCKMAN

Date: March 8, 2019 00:45

Rockman
Oh dear Ian … I'd love to gift
em to ya ..but I can't part with 'em ….

Still have lots of good gear
that i'm not using .. Electrocompaniet
CD player chipped up but it don't play SACD … Meridian ...

Damn .. If I could only get your Oppo .. and someone here could donate me a McIntosh MA5300 amp/ dac ... I'd be in DSD / SACD La-la land.

I've been a good member have I not? I mean come on .. spread the luv ya-all. I thought that's what one got after paying his dues here at iorr? .. ...

grinning smiley (bahaha)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-03-08 00:45 by IanBillen.

Date: March 8, 2019 00:58

hhhaaa yeah I try not ta be a greedy man
but I just don't have the heart ta part with
some of that gear …. ya really should look
inta the Technics SL-G700 it plays everything
inc the recent Japanese released Stones MQA discs ….

ROCKMAN

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-03-08 01:04 by Rockman.

Date: March 8, 2019 01:03

ROCKMAN

Date: March 8, 2019 01:16

Rockman
hhhaaa yeah I try not ta be a greedy man
but I just don't have the heart ta part with
some of that gear …. ya really should look
inta the Technics SL-G700 it plays everything
inc the recent Japanese released Stones MQA discs ….

Ha.. I know my guy .. I could never take that from someone. I need to get Goats Head on SACD before winter is out. There is a Japanese release ..

Date: March 8, 2019 01:17

Rockman

Love it!!!

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: March 8, 2019 06:20

DGA35
Go to the Connections page and click on the ABKCO remasters page by Lucpak, which tells you everything you need to know about the 2002 releases.
I bought all the hybrid SACD's when they came out except for Hot Rocks. Ruby Tuesday is noted for missing vocals during the chorus. There are some songs that I still prefer my London CD's which were mastered by Mobile Fidelity, especially Aftermath UK.

OMG, are we the same person? If you tell me that you bought two Satanic's, and still have one sealed, I'm going to check and see if you live in my basement.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: March 8, 2019 08:06

treaclefingers
DGA35
Go to the Connections page and click on the ABKCO remasters page by Lucpak, which tells you everything you need to know about the 2002 releases.
I bought all the hybrid SACD's when they came out except for Hot Rocks. Ruby Tuesday is noted for missing vocals during the chorus. There are some songs that I still prefer my London CD's which were mastered by Mobile Fidelity, especially Aftermath UK.

OMG, are we the same person? If you tell me that you bought two Satanic's, and still have one sealed, I'm going to check and see if you live in my basement.

Even SACD can't save Satanic.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: March 8, 2019 12:19

GasLightStreet
His Majesty
Spud

If you heard things on SACD that you hadn't heard on the original vinyl...you probably didn't have a good enough record player winking smiley

Depends on the condition of the original vinyl too.

Crackles and pops hide musical information.

That is where the vinyl lovers have a flaw as it being the best way to listen to music - I prefer to not have the vinyl noises.

Yep,

Surface noise can be an issue if discs aren't in the best condition or well looked after.

That said...folks often don't realise that the better the turntable, the less intrusive the "pops & crackles".

Good decks have the ability to submerge extraneous noise so that it doesn't bother us so much . You can still hear it [in the same way that you might hear rain on the window outside during quiet passages] ...but it doesn't get in the way of the music.

So if folks are thinking that it's not worth getting a good deck because the records are old...the reverse is actually true ! smiling smiley

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-03-08 12:26 by Spud.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: March 8, 2019 12:49

Spud

...Surface/Surface/Surface/Surface/Surface/Surface/Surface/Surface...

Unfortunately, your post had a scratch in it and repeated this over and over. grinning smiley

Date: March 8, 2019 13:21

Probably because I'm a bit warped grinning smiley

Posted by: ironbelly ()
Date: March 8, 2019 13:30

Back to the topic, guys.
Did anybody mentioned that redbook layer on Got Live If You Want It! is a total screw-up? It is mastered weird , like in fake stereo. I've Been Loving You is the strangest mix you can possibly imagine, although they had true stereo version on More Hot Rocks. At least the EU version from matrix 50486162/UNIVERSAL 882296-2 01 IFPI LB46.
It is not only the very worst 'live' album, but also remaster 2002 sounds terrible comparing to old 'fake live' but true stereo West German London CD [820 137-2].

Date: March 8, 2019 14:35

Not sure there's much that can be dome with Got Live...regardless of the format or whatever you do with it.

As a document to capture the vibe, it works and it's fun ...but it'll never sound good by typical quality standards..

Date: March 8, 2019 17:00

Kennedy
donvis

That wouldn't surprise me. The amazing sound of the ABKCO remasters may be more of a product of the exceptional DSD remastering than the format itself.

This means absolutely nothing without listing the chain of equipment.

Just as you can play a Blu-ray Disc in a way where there is benefit but,also in a way with inappropriate chain of equipment where you rob yourself of the benefit.

Just SACD proper set-up is more involved without detailing it.

Date: March 10, 2019 16:17

24FPS
treaclefingers
DGA35

Even SACD can't save Satanic.

bought the second copy because of the shiny cover

Posted by: Mr.D ()
Date: March 11, 2019 02:15

jsz1002
Most likely a Sony blu ray player. Does any other brand play sacd?

My OPPO-203 plays them. But it will not play .ISO files for some reason, my OPPO-93 that I bought in 2011 plays .ISO but not the one I bought last year.

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: March 11, 2019 07:15

treaclefingers
DGA35

No extra Satanic, but when the 94 Virgin releases came out I bought all of them, I did buy 2 Some Girls discs, one still unopened. In hindsight, I should have picked up an extra Sticky Fingers, too. Bought them all at A&B Sound.

Date: March 11, 2019 15:54

DGA35
treaclefingers
DGA35

No extra Satanic, but when the 94 Virgin releases came out I bought all of them, I did buy 2 Some Girls discs, one still unopened. In hindsight, I should have picked up an extra Sticky Fingers, too. Bought them all at A&B Sound.

and I only bought the Sticky Fingers Virgin release in 94, at A&B Sound on Hastings. Wish I had bought the rest, but argued with myself that I already had all the CBS releases. Just liked the working zipper CD version.

That year I phoned into CFOX I think, to answer DJ question, "which was the first ROLLING STONES album with all Jagger/Richards compositions"...I of course answered Aftermath and won tickets to the Voodoo Lounge release party at A&B Sound. A stoopid party in the garage of A&B Sound, but still have Voodoo Lounge Stones Balloons to this day.

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: March 12, 2019 01:40

Forgot to mention the 2002 ABKCO Sympathy For The Devil hybrid SACD single which contains a 5.1 mix of the song. Sounds amazing.

Posted by: Toru A ()
Date: March 12, 2019 03:42

Singles Collection the london years - 3 sacd disk set is my favorite.

This info might be a bit outdated but Nasty Music on SACD
Mechanically upgraded DSD.smiling smiley

Posted by: nick ()
Date: March 12, 2019 03:52

ironbelly
Back to the topic, guys.
Did anybody mentioned that redbook layer on Got Live If You Want It! is a total screw-up? It is mastered weird , like in fake stereo. I've Been Loving You is the strangest mix you can possibly imagine, although they had true stereo version on More Hot Rocks. At least the EU version from matrix 50486162/UNIVERSAL 882296-2 01 IFPI LB46.
It is not only the very worst 'live' album, but also remaster 2002 sounds terrible comparing to old 'fake live' but true stereo West German London CD [820 137-2].

Time is on my side and Have You Seen your Mother are bad. I thought the disc was defective. I've always been tempted to get another to listen but I listen to the SACD layer. Shame with all the fades on the London CD.

Date: March 13, 2019 22:45

Green Guide -- 14 March 2019

ROCKMAN

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1909
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home