Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Keith Richards interview (english) / Spanish El Pais newspaper
Posted by: spain73 ()
Date: March 4, 2019 23:46

[elpais.com]

Google translation
Phone interview.-

Every marital crisis has moments of friction that seem insurmountable, even if the marriage responds to the name of the Rolling Stones . Mick Jagger had decided to take a time that seemed determinant: he released two albums solo ( She's the Boss in 1985 and Primitive Cool in 1987) and refused to go on tour a year later with the band to promote the very poor Dirty Work . Keith Richardsand the rest of the group got upset, but nothing like seeing Jagger reuniting at the beginning of 1988 another band, which included the guitarist Joe Satriani, to give on his own a series of concerts in Japan. It had gone beyond the line: that was already horns. This is how Keith Richards felt, who, jealous and angry, also released in 1988 his first solo album, Talk is Cheap , a title that was a veiled criticism to Jagger, who did not stop promoting himself forgetting the rest of the group .

"Then, I had nothing to do," he confessed last Friday with a laugh on the other side of the phone Keith Richards (Dartford, England, 1943). The guitarist of the Rolling Stones talk about Talk is Cheap, which is reissued on March 29 in a luxury format on the occasion of its 30th anniversary. From the "cold" and "snowy" Connecticut, says that the Stones were "a break" and that he then had "about 20 ideas in the head", but tries to tiptoe through the fight with his partner, who arrived to call "the dancer boy" for his taste for disco and whose new group of then described as "the gang to make Jagger's straws". Only when he insists, Richards answers bluntly and with more laughter. "Right: Talk is CheapIt was a way to touch Mick's nose. I ventilated everything I had to ventilate. But it's over. "

His pirate laugh is unmistakable. Richards is as adept at playing the guitar as he is at telling his own version of events. "Hey, man, it's been a long time how to remember it," he says when it comes to memory. But, when he tries hard, he offers the unblemished cape: "I remember those sessions as something very funny. I wanted that, if I got into a studio, it was a natural thing. So it was". The guitarist ignores the problems that occurred in those sessions with top musicians such as Steve Jordan, Charley Drayton, Ivan Neville, Mick Taylor, Maceo Parker or Waddy Watchel, who ended up removing whiskey from the studio because they drank so much or more than the.

"I was looking forward to the recording and Steve Jordan helped me a lot - Talk is Cheap - who had replaced Charlie Watts in Dirty Work.. Charlie was handling his own demons in those days, "he explains. The addictions to heroin and alcohol were the demons of Watts, the drummer of the Stones who at that time poked a blow to Jagger who knocked him down. Apparently he demanded his presence on the phone to shout "where is my battery" and Watts went down to his room to remind him, behind the dry hook, that it was him, Mick Jagger, "his shitty singer". Those same demons of Watts attended equally hard to Richards and Ron Wood and caused the temporary rupture of Jagger, that had taken charge of the mega company of the Rolling Stones before the narcotic negligence of Richards, the other compositional leader.

"I no longer have breakfast with heroin or alcohol. That's over "
PICTURE ALLIANCE VIA GETTY IMAGES
Talk is Cheap came to be seen as a point of no return for the Stones, but the crisis ended in reconciliation without knowing exactly, as in the most long-lived marriages, if love or another powerful interest, such as money or the lack of better alternatives. "Playing in the Rolling Stones is easier than doing it in many other bands. It is easier to always get together with the same kids that keep changing. We are a group of great musicians who make something bigger called a band. It is a chemistry that only exists when we are together. We are the Stones, "says Richards. "I am with the same illusion that since 1963 ... is that the date we started?", Jokes. Better memory has to remember how rock and rollHe entered his life. "I had a very bad radio in my room and I tried to connect it to a night program that was in England. It left me petrified to listen one night to Jerry Lee Lewis with Great Balls on Fire . Also Elvis Presley with Hound Dog. With them I would go around the room. Another night I heard Little Richard singing and I felt he was saying something to me alone. Something like: 'Get out there and know more about all this'. Damn if I paid attention, "he tells another laugh. Will there be life for rock and rollafter the Stones? "It's not for me to say it. So I'll quote Bob Dylan: 'There will be no band like the Rolling Stones. They do not have substitutes. ' It is one of the greatest compliments we have received. And on top of Bob ... It's not that easy. "

Currently, the relationship of the Stones, who prepare tour the United States for the summer and work on another blues album after Blue & Lonesome, published in 2016, seems to go through a pleasant state. Of understanding. The guitarist recognizes that he has spoken with Jagger two weeks ago to specify the date of the recording. Also today, at 75, his life seems liberated from some of those ancient demons. Richards said a few months ago that he had stopped drinking. "Ah, yes, uncle, often boredom," he confesses, but points out: "Well, let's see, I'm Keith Richards. I do not go around saying, 'I do not drink.' I drink wine glasses or beers at lunch or dinner. It happened to me before with drugs, as with heroin. What I want to say is that I no longer have breakfast with heroin or alcohol. The experiment is over, "he explains. "But in my life I've been unable to leave anything," he laughs. Any learning in all this time? "I left philosophy too," he says with a laugh. "I love my family, to my children, to my grandchildren ... I have learned to be a grandfather. That is all. All my philosophy of life can be summarized in that, after all, I have learned to be a grandfather. "

Re: Keith Richards interview (english) / Spanish El Pais newspaper
Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: March 5, 2019 00:15

spain73
[elpais.com]

Google translation
Phone interview.-

Currently, the relationship of the Stones, who prepare tour the United States for the summer and work on another blues album after Blue & Lonesome, published in 2016, seems to go through a pleasant state.

Nice interview, thank you! thumbs up

"Another blues album"? I guess they're wrong.

Posted by: spain73 ()
Date: March 5, 2019 00:23

Cristiano Radtke
spain73
[elpais.com]

Google translation
Phone interview.-

Currently, the relationship of the Stones, who prepare tour the United States for the summer and work on another blues album after Blue & Lonesome, published in 2016, seems to go through a pleasant state.

Yes. The same words in Spanish , so I guess it is a mistake...

Posted by: keithsman ()
Date: March 5, 2019 00:29

Thanks for posting Spain73.

He doesn't really change much does he, i get the feeling he regrets saying he stopped drinking, as he still is drinking, i know as much as anyone that someone like Keith won't be able to moderate drinking for long.
This bodes badly for the tour, he's too old to hold it together live if he is drinking. A few things got lost in the google translation but i get the gist of what he was saying, i think he gets bored, so drinks, i wouldn't get bored with his money.

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: March 5, 2019 00:37

keithsman

He doesn't really change much does he, i get the feeling he regrets saying he stopped drinking, as he still is drinking, i know as much as anyone that someone like Keith won't be able to moderate drinking for long.
This bodes badly for the tour, he's too old to hold it together live if he is drinking. A few things got lost in the google translation but i get the gist of what he was saying, i think he gets bored, so drinks, i wouldn't get bored with his money.

Bored? Then get back into the studio, man!

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: March 5, 2019 00:45

keithsman

If it was anyone else keithsman, I would tend to agree with you.

But, Keith very well may be able to step away and then enjoy an occasional drink. I would have to know him personally to judge that. Most alcoholics, if he is one, can't (I am one and haven't had a drink since 1981 btw), but this is Keith, and he was made it through fairly well for quite some time drinking and more, where I'd be dead or in jail long ago, so you never know. It was good to see him more clear eyed and playing fantastic the last leg of the tour, sober apparently, and my bet is he will follow a similar pattern this leg.

Date: March 5, 2019 00:51

jlowe
keithsman

This long awaited album is becoming a farce , it's embarrassing to keep saying we are writing year after year, and Don saying it sounds brilliant man blah blah blah, i just wish Keith would make another album with Steve, all this BS surrounding a Stones recording is a wind up, all the secrecy, they can shove it, i'm past caring, Mick and Keith obviously can't write together or wont.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: March 5, 2019 00:59

why is it a farce???....
they've all said they're workin on it ….

maybe you'd be better with King Gizzard
they pumped out like 5 albums one year ….

ROCKMAN

Date: March 5, 2019 01:09

Rockman
why is it a farce???....
they've all said they're workin on it ….

maybe you'd be better with King Gizzard
they pumped out like 5 albums one year ….

Well three years ago Mick goes into the studio with 40 demos, so that's a great start yeah ?? so all these years later with all the rumors last year of a new album to go along with this tour, and now nothing, not even a definite for this year. Then its an EP, then we are going to get a single as a taster, then Mick plays 20 seconds of something on twitter or whatever. Then we here it wasn't good enough , so they are making it again.
It's becoming a farce imho.

Date: March 5, 2019 01:35

okay … each to his own ….

ROCKMAN

Date: March 5, 2019 01:42

…. and and .…from memory we've had … Mick …
keith …Was... Charlie … Ronnie …. errr Steve Jordan...
Theodora maybe all saying that they have been working on it …..

So your thinkin they had a little pow-wow and said
Hey lets make up a fake story that were workin' on a new album

ROCKMAN

Date: March 5, 2019 01:43

Rockman
okay … each to his own ….

It's not as bad as i make it sound, just in a mood tonight lol.
There a tour just about to start so that's something to get excited about winking smiley

Date: March 5, 2019 01:46

…. okay take it eeeeeasy ….
Maybe go shoot some water-rats …. hhhhaaaaaa

Stay calm ole son ….

ROCKMAN

Date: March 5, 2019 01:50

Rockman
…. okay take it eeeeeasy ….
Maybe go shoot some water-rats …. hhhhaaaaaa

Stay calm ole son ….

thumbs up

Posted by: IanBillen ()
Date: March 5, 2019 02:48

keithsman
jlowe
keithsman

This long awaited album is becoming a farce , it's embarrassing to keep saying we are writing year after year, and Don saying it sounds brilliant man blah blah blah, i just wish Keith would make another album with Steve, all this BS surrounding a Stones recording is a wind up, all the secrecy, they can shove it, i'm past caring, Mick and Keith obviously can't write together or wont.

This is basically where I was .. just thinking this whole thing is not coming together and all we ever hear is 'we are working on it' .. or after almost four years ...'early stages' ... or a 'ready to begin'?. Lots of blurbs .. no concrete news. So I feel ya. BELIEVE me I feel ya. However once this tour is finished Im hoping to get official word on when the album is to come . and it better be THIS year.

Who thing has gone on long enough with nothing concrete or evolving over 3-4 years now.

Hang in there (I did). I was thiiiiiiiiis close to just being so over it.

Ian

Date: March 5, 2019 03:57

UNCUT 263 -- April 2019

ROCKMAN

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: March 5, 2019 04:56

However once this tour is finished Im hoping to get official word on when the album is to come . and it better be THIS year.

Keep your expectations low, very low, that's all I can say, or you'll be very disappointed.

Posted by: IanBillen ()
Date: March 5, 2019 05:02

georgelicks
However once this tour is finished Im hoping to get official word on when the album is to come . and it better be THIS year.

Keep your expectations low, very low, that's all I can say, or you'll be very disappointed.

So you are saying don't expect it this year? wtf? ...

How great to hear confused smiley ha. So .. any word on the 'quality' of the stuff?

Date: March 5, 2019 11:26

IanBillen
keithsman
jlowe
keithsman

This is basically where I was .. just thinking this whole thing is not coming together and all we ever hear is 'we are working on it' .. or after almost four years ...'early stages' ... or a 'ready to begin'?. Lots of blurbs .. no concrete news. So I feel ya. BELIEVE me I feel ya. However once this tour is finished Im hoping to get official word on when the album is to come . and it better be THIS year.

Who thing has gone on long enough with nothing concrete or evolving over 3-4 years now.

Hang in there (I did). I was thiiiiiiiiis close to just being so over it.

Ian

There is just one thing that came to me just now Ian, what if the Stones album had so much material left over when it was almost finished that someone suggested making a double album, and so the extended delay might be because the Stones need half a dozen more songs to create a double album.
As this is probably their last album it would make sense to use up all the material this time round.

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: March 5, 2019 12:00

No. Dont think so.just one album in 3 years time.
Jeroen

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: March 5, 2019 15:50

If they are struggling to agree on the quality of what they have done so far it seems highly unlikely that a double album would surface.
If they are 'playing around' with more than 12 tracks, just choose the best and put out a single album.
Remember John Lennon's last album? Double Fantasy was o'kish...but he and Yoko had recorded enough for a double.
Sure enough The Estate felt fit to release the remaining tracks. This was 'Milk and Honey' and it was a very modest affair.
Best to leave some stuff in the Vaults, where they belong.

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: March 5, 2019 16:13

thank you Spain73.
i really liked the way the piece was structured and explained.
sure it was a phoner but that guy did a good job.
I looked at it in Spanish also; tho I'm not near as fluid with it,
I can understand a lot of it and speak only Spanglish but have study aids.
Her name is Maria, don't go there, people. I'll let you know if it works
out. whoa.
kidding. i'm hated in all languages; it's resassuring to have clear consitency
that bypasses the restrictions other humans have with articularing their
language skills; instead of reaching for the blade and that rusty old bucket
we screwed steel cables to; that's my bass motherfuckrker you have a fueckng problem with that. you mess with my...whoa flashback and i wasn't even AT altamont.
i WAS at woodstock; friggin hippies..thankgod it rained the stink was awful..
in a good way tho; if you've ever been with a wet hippie chick who was kinda cute you'll know where i'm going with all this: Nowhere fast.
oh yeh FERNANDO NAVARRO
Twitter
is the guys name. i'm sure he'll be happy of the hoppy assocaition.
i'm here for a short while and expect to be used

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: March 5, 2019 16:39

What I expect is a tour from April to June and nothing else right now.

Any other activity will be a very good surprise.

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: March 5, 2019 17:01

Cristiano Radtke
spain73
[elpais.com]

Google translation
Phone interview.-

No, please...sad smiley

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: March 5, 2019 17:21

"Steve Jordan helped me a lot - Talk is Cheap - who had replaced Charlie Watts in Dirty Work"

Thx Keef for the clarification! From now on nobody will be able to say it's Charlie on "One Hit".

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1596
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home