Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345678910Next
Current Page: 9 of 10
Re: Ron Wood
Posted by: Witness ()
Date: March 10, 2019 15:44

A double posting.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-03-10 17:29 by Witness.

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: March 10, 2019 16:04

Mathijs
mpj200
A bit of truth in some of the last comments. I don’t think MT could tour even if asked. He does have issues and has let himself get involved with an unfortunate person. I do not think he even has procession of his own cell phone now, much less his passport.

To add -this person ruined Taylor's chances of getting involved with the Stones ever again. Taylor was offered a permanent slot with the Stones after the 2014 tour, but negotiations with this person went so bad that the Stones management (read: Jagger) basically exiled Taylor from anything to do with the Stones, including any involvement with the Exhibitionism event.

Mathijs

This to me is so remarkable. I never knew and am astonished.

I for one would be very interested to read further details if available.

( I was one of those few(?), who at the time dreamt about the Stones working as a 3-guitar band afterwards, with Taylor included, for instance in the studio, and tended to think that Mick Jagger, somewhat paradoxially, was the one in the band most reluctant to such a possibility. If still correct maybe, then occasioned in such a special way.

Well, a little unclear it is to me what "a permanent slot with the Stones" would have been meant to comprise.)

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: March 10, 2019 17:06

keithsman
retired_dog
OpenG
They proved it in 1981 with the KC show that 3 guitars could exist and MT laid back and added where he thought best and did not step on Ron Wood. I read somewhere way back when the exile bonus sessions cam out that Keith said If he had is way Mick Taylor would be back alluding to the fact that Mick Jagger would never allow that to happen and give MT another shot to outshine Jagger's performance every night on stage.

And that's just plain rubbish. No guitar player in the world is able to "outshine" a world-class lead singer, in particular not this lead singer and performer! Maybe in the strange world of a handful of diehards who truly believe that the vast majority of people who buy Stones concert tickets do so solely for seeing Keith Richards, but not in reality. Who's really in danger of being "outshined" by someone like Mick Taylor is the rusty, stiff-sounding, unimaginative standart Stones guitar section.

And if we're really honest, Taylor did not always shine during "50 ...and counting!". It's definitely not the case that he could bring 1969 to 1973's glory back to the Stones live sound with the snap of his fingertips.

I think had we seen Taylor play on songs like SFM and GS he may well have stole the show, he really is that good. It's not about outshining Jagger, it's about adding to the show and raising everyone's game, Ronnie really raised his game when Taylor was present.

That's exactly the point and that's why I hoped he would stay, wishing one day he would play on songs like SFM and Sympathy or GS in particular (amongst others), maybe even participate in studio work.

But as we know now, he's been offered a permanent slot (whatever that actually means) after 2014 but something went badly wrong.

Posted by: OpenG ()
Date: March 10, 2019 17:26

Many of the fans and reviews of the 50 and counting shows commented that Midnight Rambler or CYHMK were the highlights of the show not to say if MT was not there they would of said the same thing. Taylor on stage brings improvisation to the band and for me that is a key item I love when I go to a live gig. Yes Jagger is a great frontman and was unbelievable during the 69 shows moving like James Brown but those days are gone and the band as a unit playing at a high level is more important to me then( Moves Like Jagger). LOL

Posted by: pt99 ()
Date: March 10, 2019 18:23

Mathijs
mpj200
A bit of truth in some of the last comments. I don’t think MT could tour even if asked. He does have issues and has let himself get involved with an unfortunate person. I do not think he even has procession of his own cell phone now, much less his passport.

To add -this person ruined Taylor's chances of getting involved with the Stones ever again. Taylor was offered a permanent slot with the Stones after the 2014 tour, but negotiations with this person went so bad that the Stones management (read: Jagger) basically exiled Taylor from anything to do with the Stones, including any involvement with the Exhibitionism event.

Mathijs

This is not true

Date: March 10, 2019 18:32

OpenG
Many of the fans and reviews of the 50 and counting shows commented that Midnight Rambler or CYHMK were the highlights of the show not to say if MT was not there they would of said the same thing. Taylor on stage brings improvisation to the band and for me that is a key item I love when I go to a live gig. Yes Jagger is a great frontman and was unbelievable during the 69 shows moving like James Brown but those days are gone and the band as a unit playing at a high level is more important to me then( Moves Like Jagger). LOL

I don't doubt that for a minute, it's just that "fear of being outshined"-nonsense aimed at Jagger I was objecting to.

Date: March 10, 2019 18:50

e: Ron Wood new
Date: March 10, 2019 18:32

OpenG

I don't doubt that for a minute, it's just that "fear of being outshined"-nonsense aimed at Jagger I was objecting to.

Yeah outshine was not the case wrong choice of description

[www.youtube.com]

Rolling Stones ft Mick Taylor - Midnight Rambler (2012 London O2 Arena) MULTICAM

Well this live MR could be one of the greatest moments on stage and it is with
Mick Taylor and the band - Taylor and the band on fire and we also get MOVES LIKE TAYLOR - Taylor following and prowling Jagger on stage(LOL)

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: March 10, 2019 18:57

Why is a thread called "Ron Wood" turned into another Mick Taylor dialog?

Take this conversation elsewhere!

Posted by: keithsman ()
Date: March 10, 2019 19:11

retired_dog
OpenG

Yes i agree with you retired dog, Jagger doesn't think he will be outshone , but maybe Jagger thinks that the show is about him, and gets impatient with extended solo's and guitar work, there is plenty of footage with Jagger doing his upmost to cut Taylor Short on a solo that's just blowing the crowd away.
So i think it's more Jagger doesn't understand the appreciation the audience have of Taylor's solo's as opposed to fear of being outshone.
Maybe Jagger has got so used to Keith's poor soloing that he has grown impatient. I don't know , it was just such a pity those few times Jagger was looking at the band as if to say stop him or something, when in actual fact it made a nice change from hearing Jagger's voice the whole time, variety is the spice of life, we can have too much of a good thing when it comes to Jagger's dominance over a show, it's nice to let the band breath a bit.

Date: March 10, 2019 19:13

Ron Wood played great on the 1981 tour and was a breath of fresh air to the band and my next great impression was Ron Wood on the Sticky Fingers show at the Fonda
Theatre in LA. For me all the other years are foggy and his playing does not stand out as great or improvising and taking the band to another level on stage. Just a good overall musician playing his parts and second fiddle to Keith and Mick.

Date: March 10, 2019 19:16

loog droog

No one stopping you from talking about Ronnie, go ahead , what you got.

Let's face it, the news that Taylor could have been involved with these tours and isn't is tragic as far as i'm concerned, just sorry that news came about on a Ronnie thread, perhaps this topic of discussion can be moved to the Taylor thread if it's upsetting you.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: March 10, 2019 19:16

loog droog

Because the initial post sets things up to make it go exactly like it has done.

stevecardi
I owe that man an apology. For years, I was part of the elite "Ronnie Wood if only he could/unworthy pretender to the throne of Mick Taylor" crowd.
But now, the more I listen Ronnie's playing on the 1975 and 1978 tours, his lead work on Steel Wheels and Urban Jungle tour, his work with the Faces and the Jeff Beck Group, and most of all, his solo albums, the more I realize what a great player he is.

Date: March 10, 2019 19:17

OpenG
Ron Wood played great on the 1981 tour and was a breath of fresh air to the band and my next great impression was Ron Wood on the Sticky Fingers show at the Fonda
Theatre in LA. For me all the other years are foggy and his playing does not stand out as great or improvising and taking the band to another level on stage. Just a good overall musician playing his parts and second fiddle to Keith and Mick.

Spot on, my thoughts exactly.

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: March 10, 2019 19:20

If I was a sassy gal, I’d say:
Ronnie B Goode looking especially when he’s banging his hips against his guitar.
Quintessential English rocker.
Go Ronnie Go.
cool smiley

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: March 10, 2019 19:39

While Taylor was sadly underutilized throughout 50 and Counting, at the second Staples Center L.A. show (May,20), he did play on four songs in total:

Sway
CYHMK
MR
Satisfaction

Aside from Satisfaction (where he only strummed acoustic), the other three tunes were no doubt absolute highlights of the show.
With the opening chords of Sway, jaws were dropping, and the solo itself was as intense as the original studio version - maybe even moreso.
CYHMK was a tour de force, and even Keith and Ronnie were enjoying themselves while witnessing the maestro (while Mick Jagger seemed to get impatient).
Midnight Rambler - the three guitar attack was stunning, and of course Taylor's solo's were exquisite taking the tune to the next level.

Taylor appearance aside, the 22 song setlist kicked off nicely with Get Off My Cloud. Throw in Faraway Eyes (Ronnie shined on pedal steel), as well as some new tunes,
it was a holy grail type show (and experience) that ranks up with the best I've ever seen. The only lowpoint - if you can call it that - was Taylor didn't play on All Down the Line.
Seemed a missed opportunity, and instead we got to see Ronnie butcher the solo as he's known to do with Taylor era tunes, but it wasn't enough to totally drag down the show.

Get Off Of My Cloud
It's Only Rock'n Roll
Paint It Black
Gimme Shelter
All Down The Line
Far Away Eyes
Sway (with Mick Taylor)
Doom And Gloom
One More Shot
Can't You Hear Me Knocking (with Mick Taylor)
Honky Tonk Women

You Got The Silver (Keith)
Before They Make Me Run (Keith)
Midnight Rambler (with Mick Taylor)
Miss You
Start Me Up
Tumbling Dice
Brown Sugar
Sympathy For The Devil

You Can't Always Get What You Want
Jumping Jack Flash
Satisfaction (with Mick Taylor)

Clearly this and all 50 and Counting shows were historical thanks in large part to the inclusion of Taylor imo, and every show since that tour has been a step down and backwards.
Still fun to see them of course, but thankfully we were able to witness those 50 and Counting shows at all - they really were the last of the truly great Stones shows.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-03-10 19:42 by Hairball.

Posted by: fanch ()
Date: March 10, 2019 19:42

Don't forget that without Ronnie in the Stones team in the 80', we would not be able to see the Stones on stage again and again since the steel wheels tour.

So thanks Ronnie and just stay like you are, just try to stay focused on your guitar playing all the show. Which is much the case on the No filter tour

François

Date: March 10, 2019 19:52

keithsman
OpenG

Same here, I just would change the line "on the 1981 tour" to "1975 to 1981 tours".

Date: March 10, 2019 19:54

Another:
I love how Ronnie is connected to the crowd.
He is dialed into everything.
He is into it just like we in the crowd —

Date: March 10, 2019 20:01

My 1st RS show, after 35 years of 2 attempts @ attending that failed and endless hours of recorded tracks replay in my life,
I was 13th row in 2015
in front of Ron Wood.
I will never, ever forget
‘Can’t You Hear Me Knocking’
Ron Wood
Zipcode 2015.

He weaves with Keith like no other as well.

There is no this verses that.

It is X time period, and then X time period.
Period.
xoxo

Date: March 10, 2019 20:02

keithsman
retired_dog
OpenG

Yes i agree with you retired dog, Jagger doesn't think he will be outshone , but maybe Jagger thinks that the show is about him, and gets impatient with extended solo's and guitar work, there is plenty of footage with Jagger doing his upmost to cut Taylor Short on a solo that's just blowing the crowd away.
So i think it's more Jagger doesn't understand the appreciation the audience have of Taylor's solo's as opposed to fear of being outshone.
Maybe Jagger has got so used to Keith's poor soloing that he has grown impatient. I don't know , it was just such a pity those few times Jagger was looking at the band as if to say stop him or something, when in actual fact it made a nice change from hearing Jagger's voice the whole time, variety is the spice of life, we can have too much of a good thing when it comes to Jagger's dominance over a show, it's nice to let the band breath a bit.

Whatever, but my take is that Jagger's probably extremely sensitive that someone like Taylor re-joining the band should not become too important, in particular when this someone is a nice guy, but reportedly "guided by voices" = surrounded by the wrong people.

I seem to recall reports here about a major fallout between Taylor's people and the band just prior to the Hyde Park shows.

Posted by: z ()
Date: March 10, 2019 20:03

Am I the only one who think Taylor wasn't very good on 50 & counting/14 on fire? I guess joining in for a song or two in the middle of a show is not so easy, but most of his solos sounded too technical and uninspired imo. He played with no feel.

Date: March 10, 2019 20:03

retired_dog
keithsman
OpenG

Same here, I just would change the line "on the 1981 tour" to "1975 to 1981 tours".

I would agree with this, though not so sure about the Sticky Fingers show at the Fonda mentioned by OpenG.
Maybe you had to be there which I'm sure was exciting, but listening to it on it's own seems a bit strange...it just doesn't quite hit the mark.

Date: March 10, 2019 21:37

The Rolling Stones with Mick Taylor - Sway - Los Angeles, 2013 May 20

[www.youtube.com]

What was amazing to me was Taylor playing Sway live with the band the first time ever they did not let him take all the solos - especially the first slide solo which Ron Wood plays very average. But I am happy that they let him play on those
4 songs

Date: March 10, 2019 21:48

Thanks for that clip OpenG - forgot about Ronnie taking the opening slide solo - average indeed....sloppy...
But you can see during the Taylor solo how effortlessly he makes it looks, maybe not perfect, but it sounds a thousand times better.
Seems Mick jumps in and steps all over him though abrubtly ending the solo, but could be due to sound quality of video....

Date: March 10, 2019 21:59

[www.youtube.com]

Rolling Stones with Mick Taylor MIDNIGHT RAMBLER Prudential Center, Newark, NJ Dec. 13, 2012

I think this may be better than 02 Arena - Taylor's guitar is up front and center
and if you listen to those guitar licks and guitar phrases that's the big difference between Taylor and Ron and Keith. Ron and Keith can not play blues like that, they play the stones blues which is a good thing, and that's what Taylor brings to the band and enriches the guitar sound.

Date: March 10, 2019 22:02

Rolling Stones ’From the Vault’ live at the Fonda Theatre 2015 – Sister Morphine

[www.youtube.com]

This is why I thought Ron Wood was awesome on Sticky Fingers his slide is perfect and really captures Ry Cooder.

Date: March 10, 2019 22:06

z
Am I the only one who think Taylor wasn't very good on 50 & counting/14 on fire? I guess joining in for a song or two in the middle of a show is not so easy, but most of his solos sounded too technical and uninspired imo. He played with no feel.

He could compete with Keith and Ron on that tour. Everybody should think what he likes, but the early 7-tees are over.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: March 10, 2019 23:39

[www.youtube.com]

thumbs up

Very nice.

Would have been a different kind of ace had Ronnie play the Exhibitionism dulcimer Brian played in 1967.

Date: March 10, 2019 23:55

z

Yeah it's just you winking smiley

We are not worthy, this is good, no ? crowd seem to think so
[www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-03-11 00:17 by keithsman.

Date: March 11, 2019 00:43

OpenG
[www.youtube.com]

Rolling Stones with Mick Taylor MIDNIGHT RAMBLER Prudential Center, Newark, NJ Dec. 13, 2012

I think this may be better than 02 Arena - Taylor's guitar is up front and center
and if you listen to those guitar licks and guitar phrases that's the big difference between Taylor and Ron and Keith. Ron and Keith can not play blues like that, they play the stones blues which is a good thing, and that's what Taylor brings to the band and enriches the guitar sound.

I've never seen this before, thank you OpenG, OMG that just blew me away, incredible Taylor, the band reach new heights again with him, it's like nothing changes when he's up there, the Stones just rock so much more convincingly.
It takes a lot of bottle to come straight out of rehab and play like that with such confidence, he must have exorcised some demons on those 50 and counting shows, just so sad that he allegedly could be playing with them again but someone blew it for him.

Goto Page: Previous12345678910Next
Current Page: 9 of 10

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1751
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home