Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345678910Next
Current Page: 8 of 10
Re: Ron Wood
Posted by: OpenG ()
Date: March 8, 2019 22:41

n Wood new
Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: March 8, 2019 22:20

keithsman
Hairball
OpenG
[www.kshe95.com]

Keith as you know thought about the idea of bringing back MT - not sure if he was serious or trying to dodge the whole weaving thing again in the interview.

Gotta give credit to Keith for at least hoping and trying!

"I wanted to see if it would blossom into something else, like a three-guitar band. I realized that was just a hope, an idea.
The Stones are a two-guitar band, and I know that, really. But ‘Midnight Rambler’ over the last year or so (with Taylor guesting) has been amazing.
He’s a lot looser than he was the first time around. He’s got a lot more mileage under the belt and a better sense of humor about it all.”

It would have been INCREDIBLE to see and hear how the band might have blossomed...imagine Taylor on Blue and Lonesome...it would have definitely taken it to a superior level IMO.
And there's the possibility the new album of originals would have been finished a long time ago. Mick and Charlie both have claimed the MT years as a peak and something special - a shame they decided not to revisit that.

The upsetting thing is it's not too late, Taylor is at home waiting for the call, just imagine the inspiration it would have given Jagger if Taylor was in the studio with the boys, and if they included him on this tour but on much more of the show it would be fantastic, it would have inspired all concerned.

Enjoyed MT at several shows when he guested.
Fantastic Rambler versions.. best I've witnessed.

They proved it in 1981 with the KC show that 3 guitars could exist and MT laid back and added where he thought best and did not step on Ron Wood. I read somewhere way back when the exile bonus sessions cam out that Keith said If he had is way Mick Taylor would be back alluding to the fact that Mick Jagger would never allow that to happen and give MT another shot to outshine Jagger's performance every night on stage.

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: March 8, 2019 23:25

keithsman
Doxa
keithsman

Definitely the worst album imho, the Stones are better than the blues with it's limitations and it shows. They sang blues covers in the beginning because they couldn't write their own, and then they did it again all those years later with BAL for the same reason.
I literately played the single a dozen times and played the album through a few times, found it too one dimensional, Keith didn't even get to sing a track on it, boring and lonesome indeed.

Yeah, horrible to think that Mick and Keith already in 1962 had a terrible writer's block (probably Mick just trying to follow the trends, digging the latest hit single by Cliff Richard or somebody, while ignoring Keith's great ideas). Hitting the wall already then. It must have been the founder of the band, Ian Stewart, suggesting them to play some blues covers instead.

This is what the post-factual world looks like. Everything is based on subjective opinion, and we all have one of those, like arseholes.

- Doxa

Are you really that thick ?? you must know that i meant that before Mick and Keith even thought about writing their own songs they sang blues covers because they didn't have their own songs.
Nothing to do with writers block you sarcastic so and so.
And yes funny thing is when Don said they hit a wall they resort to old blues covers again.
If you love the blues you will love BAL, great, good for you, i prefer the songs Mick and Keith write, is that alright with you, hope i'm not being too subjective and receive the wrath of Doxa, no wonder DP left this place.

The reason why the Stones played and sang blues covers in the beginning, was not, as you apparently will have it, because they did not have their own songs when they had happened to start a band, and then chose to play blues covers as a practical solution, but, quite opposite, out of love for the blues as music form. The big musical treasure that they had become aware of, and which made them set up a band, despite how limited you may find the blues. You ought to honour blues and the role of feeling that the blues involves.

That love for the blues and for R&B is really their deepest roots as band.

Then you may read Doxa's second paragraph once again.

Posted by: keithsman ()
Date: March 9, 2019 00:11

MisterDDDD
keithsman
Hairball
OpenG
[www.kshe95.com]

Keith as you know thought about the idea of bringing back MT - not sure if he was serious or trying to dodge the whole weaving thing again in the interview.

"I wanted to see if it would blossom into something else, like a three-guitar band. I realized that was just a hope, an idea.
The Stones are a two-guitar band, and I know that, really. But ‘Midnight Rambler’ over the last year or so (with Taylor guesting) has been amazing.
He’s a lot looser than he was the first time around. He’s got a lot more mileage under the belt and a better sense of humor about it all.”

It would have been INCREDIBLE to see and hear how the band might have blossomed...imagine Taylor on Blue and Lonesome...it would have definitely taken it to a superior level IMO.
And there's the possibility the new album of originals would have been finished a long time ago. Mick and Charlie both have claimed the MT years as a peak and something special - a shame they decided not to revisit that.

The upsetting thing is it's not too late, Taylor is at home waiting for the call, just imagine the inspiration it would have given Jagger if Taylor was in the studio with the boys, and if they included him on this tour but on much more of the show it would be fantastic, it would have inspired all concerned.

By all accounts, there are good reasons he's sitting at home waiting for the phone to ring however.
Bit of a head-case may be putting it mildly. Good on the rest of the band for not calling him out on it too much though, and glad he was able to hold it together and sit in with them as long as he did.

Applies to both of his stints with them now that I think about it.

That's the first i heard, can you explain a little more please, are you saying Mick Taylor is a head case ?? Why would you say that ? Do you have a link to that info.

Date: March 9, 2019 00:24

Witness
keithsman
Doxa
keithsman

Definitely the worst album imho, the Stones are better than the blues with it's limitations and it shows. They sang blues covers in the beginning because they couldn't write their own, and then they did it again all those years later with BAL for the same reason.
I literately played the single a dozen times and played the album through a few times, found it too one dimensional, Keith didn't even get to sing a track on it, boring and lonesome indeed.

Yeah, horrible to think that Mick and Keith already in 1962 had a terrible writer's block (probably Mick just trying to follow the trends, digging the latest hit single by Cliff Richard or somebody, while ignoring Keith's great ideas). Hitting the wall already then. It must have been the founder of the band, Ian Stewart, suggesting them to play some blues covers instead.

This is what the post-factual world looks like. Everything is based on subjective opinion, and we all have one of those, like arseholes.

- Doxa

Are you really that thick ?? you must know that i meant that before Mick and Keith even thought about writing their own songs they sang blues covers because they didn't have their own songs.
Nothing to do with writers block you sarcastic so and so.
And yes funny thing is when Don said they hit a wall they resort to old blues covers again.
If you love the blues you will love BAL, great, good for you, i prefer the songs Mick and Keith write, is that alright with you, hope i'm not being too subjective and receive the wrath of Doxa, no wonder DP left this place.

The reason why the Stones played and sang blues covers in the beginning, was not, as you apparently will have it, because they did not have their own songs when they had happened to start a band, and then chose to play blues covers as a practical solution, but, quite opposite, out of love for the blues as music form. The big musical treasure that they had become aware of, and which made them set up a band, despite how limited you may find the blues. You ought to honour blues and the role of feeling that the blues involves.

That love for the blues and for R&B is really their deepest roots as band.

Then you may read Doxa's second paragraph once again.

I wish for once you would take in what i say rather than put what i say in a box that fits into what you think i would say.
The fact that i prefer what Mick and Keith have written over the years, as a result of their love of the blues and R&B, does not mean i dislike the blues.
I just find that what the Stones create from their musical influences to be a more fulfilling form of art, and less one dimensional, i think we would all agree that had every Stones album be a blues album the most ardent blues fan would get bored with it, plus i think that people like Clapton , BB King and Buddy Guy do the blues so much better.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: March 9, 2019 01:41

keithsman
MisterDDDD
keithsman
Hairball
OpenG
[www.kshe95.com]

By all accounts, there are good reasons he's sitting at home waiting for the phone to ring however.
Bit of a head-case may be putting it mildly. Good on the rest of the band for not calling him out on it too much though, and glad he was able to hold it together and sit in with them as long as he did.

That's the first i heard, can you explain a little more please, are you saying Mick Taylor is a head case ?? Why would you say that ? Do you have a link to that info.

He says "By all accounts"....all accounts? I recall reading something from a member here (and on shidoobee) who supposedly had info. as to why Taylor wasn't invited back, but gave no further details.
Other that that, why has nobody else ever heard or read anything regarding this? Maybe it's based on rumours and innuendo from some disgruntled "insider" who has a problem with Mick Taylor.

And then MisterDD says "Good on the rest of the band for not calling him out on it too much though"...wait...have the rest of the band ever called him out on anything even just a little bit?
I don't recall any of them calling him out on anything...only praising him...maybe this is also based on rumours and innuendo from the same disgruntled "insider"?

Whatever the case, it's the Stones' loss which in turn becomes a loss for the fans - most fans anyways. They could have crawled out from the current stagnation and continued with a bang.
Instead they're sort of limping along with the same old song and dance with no new music and the same old show. Even without new music, Mick Taylor would have injected a new level of excitement and musicianship to the shows just as he did with the 50 and Counting Tour. I bet Keith regrets that his hope and idea's regarding MT didn't become a reality to see how it could all blossom...

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: March 9, 2019 02:51

How silly.

BLUE AND LONESOME came out of something they've done for every album - recorded blues tracks - covers and originals. They just happened to focus on it for what became BAL.

A good bit of which Ronnie did the busier guitaring, which doesn't necessarily say a lot on the surface, because Keith has always been the more laidback player regarding blues from my listenings.

Date: March 9, 2019 10:49

Hairball
keithsman
MisterDDDD
keithsman
Hairball
OpenG
[www.kshe95.com]

He says "By all accounts"....all accounts? I recall reading something from a member here (and on shidoobee) who supposedly had info. as to why Taylor wasn't invited back, but gave no further details.
Other that that, why has nobody else ever heard or read anything regarding this? Maybe it's based on rumours and innuendo from some disgruntled "insider" who has a problem with Mick Taylor.

And then MisterDD says "Good on the rest of the band for not calling him out on it too much though"...wait...have the rest of the band ever called him out on anything even just a little bit?
I don't recall any of them calling him out on anything...only praising him...maybe this is also based on rumours and innuendo from the same disgruntled "insider"?

Whatever the case, it's the Stones' loss which in turn becomes a loss for the fans - most fans anyways. They could have crawled out from the current stagnation and continued with a bang.
Instead they're sort of limping along with the same old song and dance with no new music and the same old show. Even without new music, Mick Taylor would have injected a new level of excitement and musicianship to the shows just as he did with the 50 and Counting Tour. I bet Keith regrets that his hope and idea's regarding MT didn't become a reality to see how it could all blossom...

Thanks for the info Hairball, i looked online and there is absolutely nothing, no story's to say anything detrimental about Mick Taylor or that he is a headcase. Sounds like people ( so called insiders ) are jealous of him and his gift and are making things up.
I tell you there are things about Ronnie Wood and his behavior that are disgusting and shameful and i could send links but i won't spoil the illusion.

Posted by: windmelody ()
Date: March 9, 2019 14:17

keithsman
Hairball
keithsman
MisterDDDD
keithsman
Hairball
OpenG
[www.kshe95.com]

Thanks for the info Hairball, i looked online and there is absolutely nothing, no story's to say anything detrimental about Mick Taylor or that he is a headcase. Sounds like people ( so called insiders ) are jealous of him and his gift and are making things up.
I tell you there are things about Ronnie Wood and his behavior that are disgusting and shameful and i could send links but i won't spoil the illusion.
Just a little spoiler please!

Date: March 9, 2019 14:31

windmelody
keithsman
Hairball
keithsman
MisterDDDD
keithsman
Hairball
OpenG
[www.kshe95.com]

Just a little spoiler please!

It's all out there, you don't have to dig deep or anything, money buys silence, so people get paid off and such like, and all charges get dropped, it's the way of the world unfortunately.
The Stones organisation takes care of everything like that as i'm sure you know.
As far as Mick Taylor goes i have never read anything detrimental about him on morel grounds.

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: March 9, 2019 14:50

unhinged.....

balmy, barmy [chiefly British], bats, batty, bedlam, bonkers, brainsick, bughouse [slang], certifiable, crackbrained, cracked, crackers, crackpot, cranky [dialect], crazed, crazy, cuckoo, daffy, daft, demented, deranged, fruity [slang], gaga, haywire, insane, kooky (also kookie), loco [slang], loony (also looney), loony tunes (or looney tunes), lunatic, mad, maniacal (also maniac), mental, meshuga (or meshugge), moonstruck, non compos mentis, nuts, nutty, psycho, psychotic, scatty [chiefly British], screwy, unbalanced, unsound, wacko (also whacko), wacky (also whacky), wud [chiefly Scottish]

that's what this thread and a few others seems to have devolved into...is there a pattern?...and an element that continues to support this? You bet.

Date: March 9, 2019 15:32

Rip This
unhinged.....

balmy, barmy [chiefly British], bats, batty, bedlam, bonkers, brainsick, bughouse [slang], certifiable, crackbrained, cracked, crackers, crackpot, cranky [dialect], crazed, crazy, cuckoo, daffy, daft, demented, deranged, fruity [slang], gaga, haywire, insane, kooky (also kookie), loco [slang], loony (also looney), loony tunes (or looney tunes), lunatic, mad, maniacal (also maniac), mental, meshuga (or meshugge), moonstruck, non compos mentis, nuts, nutty, psycho, psychotic, scatty [chiefly British], screwy, unbalanced, unsound, wacko (also whacko), wacky (also whacky), wud [chiefly Scottish]

that's what this thread and a few others seems to have devolved into...is there a pattern?...and an element that continues to support this? You bet.

So Mick Taylor is nuts and anyone who points out that Ronnie has flaws is nuts.

So you condone Ronnie's behavior.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: March 9, 2019 16:49

Ronnie is a good lad at heart. He made some mistakes in life like a lot us.

Posted by: Testify ()
Date: March 9, 2019 18:30

Taylor was no longer called because he abandoned the band over 40 years ago! Accept it, otherwise you will live badly ... He was called as a guest on the occasion of the 50th anniversary. Here many say that in the Stones Taylor was bored and so why should he come back? For money ? So comfortable ... The Stones are for over 40 years without Taylor they certainly do not need it and I do not understand why some fans continue with this story.

Posted by: mpj200 ()
Date: March 10, 2019 00:21

A bit of truth in some of the last comments. I don’t think MT could tour even if asked. He does have issues and has let himself get involved with an unfortunate person. I do not think he even has procession of his own cell phone now, much less his passport.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: March 10, 2019 00:28

Taylor has an inner sadness
that seeps out in his playing ……..

ROCKMAN

Date: March 10, 2019 00:37

Rockman

Clapton is like that, probably why we love how they make that guitar sing.

Posted by: OpenG ()
Date: March 10, 2019 00:55

Taylor,s final swan song on TWFNO. His haunting asending and descending solo sure is capturing how he feels as a rolling stone fading away and soon gone from the band

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: March 10, 2019 01:00

probably why we love how they make that guitar sing....weep

ROCKMAN

Date: March 10, 2019 01:07

Rockman
probably why we love how they make that guitar sing....weep

Lol , but nothing weepy about Midnight Rambler, Sway & CYHMK

The Stones music is never too sad or depressing, it's mostly uplifting, well i think it is cool smiley

Date: March 10, 2019 01:09

Rockman

Indeed. Waiting for Taylor, 50 years ago.. I hope he's free now.

I'm free.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-03-10 01:11 by TheflyingDutchman.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: March 10, 2019 02:52

mpj200
A bit of truth in some of the last comments. I don’t think MT could tour even if asked. He does have issues and has let himself get involved with an unfortunate person. I do not think he even has procession of his own cell phone now, much less his passport.

Wtf?

Date: March 10, 2019 03:12

mpj200

Sorry but what are you going on about, do you have a link to this story please, i can't find anything about it, sounds like it's one of them tales from a bloke who told a bloke who told a bloke who said blah blah blah.

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: March 10, 2019 08:32

OpenG
They proved it in 1981 with the KC show that 3 guitars could exist and MT laid back and added where he thought best and did not step on Ron Wood. I read somewhere way back when the exile bonus sessions cam out that Keith said If he had is way Mick Taylor would be back alluding to the fact that Mick Jagger would never allow that to happen and give MT another shot to outshine Jagger's performance every night on stage.

And that's just plain rubbish. No guitar player in the world is able to "outshine" a world-class lead singer, in particular not this lead singer and performer! Maybe in the strange world of a handful of diehards who truly believe that the vast majority of people who buy Stones concert tickets do so solely for seeing Keith Richards, but not in reality. Who's really in danger of being "outshined" by someone like Mick Taylor is the rusty, stiff-sounding, unimaginative standart Stones guitar section.

And if we're really honest, Taylor did not always shine during "50 ...and counting!". It's definitely not the case that he could bring 1969 to 1973's glory back to the Stones live sound with the snap of his fingertips.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-03-10 08:36 by retired_dog.

Date: March 10, 2019 11:17

retired_dog
OpenG

And that's just plain rubbish. No guitar player in the world is able to "outshine" a world-class lead singer, in particular not this lead singer and performer! Maybe in the strange world of a handful of diehards who truly believe that the vast majority of people who buy Stones concert tickets do so solely for seeing Keith Richards, but not in reality. Who's really in danger of being "outshined" by someone like Mick Taylor is the rusty, stiff-sounding, unimaginative standart Stones guitar section.

And if we're really honest, Taylor did not always shine during "50 ...and counting!". It's definitely not the case that he could bring 1969 to 1973's glory back to the Stones live sound with the snap of his fingertips.

I think had we seen Taylor play on songs like SFM and GS he may well have stole the show, he really is that good. It's not about outshining Jagger, it's about adding to the show and raising everyone's game, Ronnie really raised his game when Taylor was present.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: March 10, 2019 11:58

mpj200

To add -this person ruined Taylor's chances of getting involved with the Stones ever again. Taylor was offered a permanent slot with the Stones after the 2014 tour, but negotiations with this person went so bad that the Stones management (read: Jagger) basically exiled Taylor from anything to do with the Stones, including any involvement with the Exhibitionism event.

Mathijs

Date: March 10, 2019 12:06

Mathijs
mpj200

To add -this person ruined Taylor's chances of getting involved with the Stones ever again. Taylor was offered a permanent slot with the Stones after the 2014 tour, but negotiations with this person went so bad that the Stones management (read: Jagger) basically exiled Taylor from anything to do with the Stones, including any involvement with the Exhibitionism event.

Mathijs

I thought Mick Jagger invited Taylor to the Exhibitionism event but left it so late Taylor had no way of making it in time. You see everything gets lost in the translation here.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: March 10, 2019 12:11

keithsman
Mathijs
mpj200

Mathijs

I thought Mick Jagger invited Taylor to the Exhibitionism event but left it so late Taylor had no way of making it in time. You see everything gets lost in the translation here.

I don't know. But Taylor has made some angry remarks in the press for the Stones not inviting him for the event. And it takes literally 45 minutes to get from Amsterdam to London....

Mathijs

Date: March 10, 2019 12:50

Mathijs
keithsman
Mathijs
mpj200

Mathijs

I don't know. But Taylor has made some angry remarks in the press for the Stones not inviting him for the event. And it takes literally 45 minutes to get from Amsterdam to London....

Mathijs

Perhaps the Stones offered him a paltry sum of money to tour with them, OK in hindsight he should have accepted it, but he does help sell tickets and maybe wanted a little more money to tour with them, doesn't make him a headcase as some have suggested because he's tired of being ripped off by the Stones ( song writing credits etc )
Is it his manager that has caused all these problems, i don't follow social media and have missed all the gossip lol.

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: March 10, 2019 14:12

[www.kshe95.com]
well it's a puff piece, but it's something i found interesting.
i haven't the slightest indication personally; but to hear he's in personal
bad straits is very harrowing and sad to hear; i hope it's not that terrible.
he's been playing and looking well the last times i've seen him appear anywhere w his guitar. it's really tragic if that's the case; i don't want to climb om the opinion express too much about guessing wattup; tho some of the posters seem very informed and close. man, somebody should be helping him out;
it was both lovely and unfortunate, imo, the reunion stuff.
to see him out there with an acoustic, you know...
and the way Bill got shuffled ....i don't want to go there too much; i really just don't know now they keep it together; or what it takes to keep their delicate interpersonal relationships solid enough to produce work.

"Keith Richards revealed that he was secretly hoping that Mick Taylor would rejoin the Rolling Stones following his appearances on the band's recent 50 & Counting and 14 On Fire tours. Richard explained to Mojo, “I wanted to see if it would blossom into something else, like a three-guitar band. I realized that was just a hope, an idea. The Stones are a two-guitar band, and I know that, really. But ‘Midnight Rambler’ over the last year or so (with Taylor guesting) has been amazing. He’s a lot looser than he was the first time around. He’s got a lot more mileage under the belt and a better sense of humor about it all.”

As the nightly special guest, Mick Taylor was sadly underutilized on the tours, usually only for two tunes — his star turn on "Midnight Rambler" — and was later relegated to the acoustic guitar for the final encore of "(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction." On some nights he was also featured on his signature tune "Can't You Hear Me Knocking."

We asked Mick Taylor if it was difficult in rehearsal to figure out how he, Keith Richards, and Ron Wood would weave three guitar parts into a two-guitar band: "We didn't even think about it. I mean, in a strange way, all three guitars kind of blend seamlessly into each other, y'know? Especially if the sound is really good on stage. It was actually good right from the off, y'know?""

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-03-10 14:18 by hopkins.

Posted by: Testify ()
Date: March 10, 2019 15:12

But here we talk about Wood or Taylor? It is unacceptable that every time a topic is dedicated to Wood you always end up talking about Taylor. Always with the usual speeches that do not add anything to the discussion.
I'm sorry if Taylor has problems today, but she's no longer a Stones for 40 years and it does not seem to me that people have stopped following the Stones for this! W the Stones, W Ronnie Wood!

Goto Page: Previous12345678910Next
Current Page: 8 of 10

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1899
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home