Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345678910Next
Current Page: 6 of 10
Re: Ron Wood
Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: March 6, 2019 14:30

keithsman
... with songs like Gimme Shelter, i mean that track is all Keith at his peak with layers and layers of guitar work...

Just two.

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: March 6, 2019 15:26

Ronnie nowadays seems to have lost musical inspiration. His last solo album is from 2010. He is only busy with his books n paintings. Okay sometimes he does the gig with other people.

But..i really would like a new solo album while waiting for a new stones albumspinning smiley sticking its tongue out
Jeroen

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: March 6, 2019 15:57

straycatuk
I find it painful to watch San Jose 99. It really does highlight how poor and out of it Ronnie got. He cleaned up just in time to cover for a fading Keith ( due to Arthritis, Accidents and drinking ). Both guitarists appeared sober last year and it was a major improvement .

Ronnie himself admitted that those were not exactly easy years.

No wonder his performances could vary a lot from night to night.

But conceded that there sure were certain bad nights, on average the level was at least good, if not excellent at times (as was the case in Stuttgart, opening of the Euro leg, when both Keith and Ronnie played really well).

Plus, as noted above, even in the worst nights, Ronnie could still show flashes of genius.

C

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: March 6, 2019 16:03

comparisons are silly...Liddas has it right...there is a genius to RW that is his own....maybe not the best ever performance...but damn if this gun slinging RW isn't thrilling I don't know what is....its like he's "made" for the Stones..sends me every time i hear it....

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: March 6, 2019 16:07

Rip This
comparisons are silly...Liddas has it right...there is a genius to RW that is his own....maybe not the best ever performance...but damn if this gun slinging RW isn't thrilling I don't know what is....its like he's "made" for the Stones..sends me every time i hear it....

[www.youtube.com]

God bless Ronnie Wood!

C

Posted by: HonkeyTonkFlash ()
Date: March 6, 2019 16:57

I never really like the arguments about Wood vs Taylor; apples and oranges.

"Gonna find my way to heaven ..."

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: March 6, 2019 19:01

keithsman
Stoneage
His Majesty
I used to love Exile, but in time I just got bored with it and blues rock in general. A too easily boring and overly glorified genre.

Funny, I never got bored with EOMS. And probably never will. But I got bored with blues epigonism.
That's why I never bought "Blue & Lonesome". I was bored with it even before listening to it...

I got bored with it after one play.

I gave it a week or two, but that was all I could handle. The first couple of single/video teasers were promising probably due to the excitement of having anything new from the Stones, but the album as a whole became a chore to get through in a matter of days. If nothing else, it inspired me to dig out the originals and/or previously recorded versions which were all far superior IMO. That said, to see them play a couple of those covers live was great where they truly shined amidst the warhorses - seeing the band let it all hang out - they should have played a full mini set. I did notice some casual fans in attendance at the Desert Trip and *Vegas 16 shows bored with them, but can't please all the people all the time. And while I wouldn't go so far as to call it "Boring and Lonesome" or "Blue and Boring" as some called it here, I wouldn't rate it amongst their best albums by a long shot.

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: March 6, 2019 19:14

Yeah well. For me it ranks among the top 5.
The joy.the commitment.the sound.the respect.
I think its a very great album and one of their finest moments of the Las Vegas period.
Jeroen

Date: March 6, 2019 21:10

His Majesty
I used to love Exile, but in time I just got bored with it and blues rock in general. A too easily boring and overly glorified genre.

Blues and Rock are limited harmonically although there are quite a few musicians and bands that gave it a fruitful extension/direction. As far as exile or other Late 6-tees early 7-tees Stones albums are concerned I only listen twice a year or so two or three songs at most, mostly when I'm a bit drunk. The live boots in my car - an Opel Astra-grinning smiley I mostly skip from Taylor solo to Taylor solo, '69-'73'. Six or seven solos altogether on the shelf, about 3 times a year. Plus the garbage I write here. That's my attitude towards the Stones AD 2019.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-03-06 21:19 by TheflyingDutchman.

Posted by: Sespin ()
Date: March 6, 2019 21:37

I love the work of Ronnie Wood, with the Stones, but especially his impressive solo recordings, collaborations and tributes to Jimmy Reed. I am 38 and for me Ronnie is a true Rock'n Roller and artist...the other Stones appear somewhat tired in comparison...but I adore them all :-)

Posted by: keithsman ()
Date: March 6, 2019 21:40

Rip This

[www.youtube.com]

OMG that was @#$%& brilliant smileys with beer Shivers down my spine.

Posted by: OpenG ()
Date: March 6, 2019 21:45

: TheflyingDutchman ()
Date: March 6, 2019 21:10

His Majesty

Blues and Rock are limited harmonically although there are quite a few musicians and bands that gave it a fruitful extension/direction. As far as exile or other Late 6-tees early 7-tees Stones albums are concerned I only listen twice a year or so two or three songs at most, mostly when I'm a bit drunk. The live boots in my car - an Opel Astra- I mostly skip from Taylor solo to Taylor solo, '69-'73'. Six or seven solos altogether on the shelf, about 3 times a year. Plus the garbage I write here. That's my attitude towards the Stones AD 2019.

I thought I was nuts way back I complied all Taylor's solo on YGAGWYW from 72-73 Tours and put them all on a CD - I would listen to the solos all day long .
The 72 tour started in Vancouver if I remember and by the time the tour hit NYC they were rocking and the solos and the band got better as they hit NYC.

Date: March 6, 2019 21:50

Hairball
keithsman
Stoneage
His Majesty

Funny, I never got bored with EOMS. And probably never will. But I got bored with blues epigonism.
That's why I never bought "Blue & Lonesome". I was bored with it even before listening to it...

I got bored with it after one play.

I gave it a week or two, but that was all I could handle. The first couple of single/video teasers were promising probably due to the excitement of having anything new from the Stones, but the album as a whole became a chore to get through in a matter of days. If nothing else, it inspired me to dig out the originals and/or previously recorded versions which were all far superior IMO. That said, to see them play a couple of those covers live was great where they truly shined amidst the warhorses - seeing the band let it all hang out - they should have played a full mini set. I did notice some casual fans in attendance at the Desert Trip and *Vegas 16 shows bored with them, but can't please all the people all the time. And while I wouldn't go so far as to call it "Boring and Lonesome" or "Blue and Boring" as some called it here, I wouldn't rate it amongst their best albums by a long shot.

Definitely the worst album imho, the Stones are better than the blues with it's limitations and it shows. They sang blues covers in the beginning because they couldn't write their own, and then they did it again all those years later with BAL for the same reason.
I literately played the single a dozen times and played the album through a few times, found it too one dimensional, Keith didn't even get to sing a track on it, boring and lonesome indeed.

Date: March 6, 2019 21:53

His Majesty
keithsman
... with songs like Gimme Shelter, i mean that track is all Keith at his peak with layers and layers of guitar work...

Just two.

Three, possibly four.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: March 6, 2019 22:22

Blue and Lonesome harkened back to the magic of much earlier Stones. Ron Wood's guitar playing was excellent, and Charlie and Mick were inspired. It is their best album Post-Wyman.

Date: March 6, 2019 23:07

Stoneage

But I got bored with blues epigonism.

"Epigonism" That's the word I was looking for. Another disappointment was the lack of a decent guitar solo- well Clapton was ok. Jagger's idea to make money, this album I guess.. smart guy. grinning smiley
One of the occasions were the Stones didn't try to get the dust off a musical genre they have copied a zillion times before, and better.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-03-06 23:13 by TheflyingDutchman.

Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: March 6, 2019 23:29

TheflyingDutchman
Stoneage

But I got bored with blues epigonism.

"Epigonism" That's the word I was looking for. Another disappointment was the lack of a decent guitar solo- well Clapton was ok. Jagger's idea to make money, this album I guess.. smart guy. grinning smiley
One of the occasions were the Stones didn't try to get the dust off a musical genre they have copied a zillion times before, and better.

epigonism...that's a word I have NEVER looked for.
Writer's ego, perhaps?!

I love Blue & Lonesome.

I love Ron Wood.

I despise the hijacking of yet another thread.

God Bless Ron Wood...
without him The Rolling Stones would have ended decades ago.

Date: March 6, 2019 23:33

Kurt

God Bless Ron Wood...
without him The Rolling Stones would have ended decades ago.

I'd rather give Jagger the credits for that.

Date: March 7, 2019 01:48

keithsman

Three, possibly four.

No, just two.

The tremolo rhythm and the lead guitar.

Date: March 7, 2019 01:58

OpenG

I thought I was nuts way back I complied all Taylor's solo on YGAGWYW from 72-73 Tours and put them all on a CD - I would listen to the solos all day long .
The 72 tour started in Vancouver if I remember and by the time the tour hit NYC they were rocking and the solos and the band got better as they hit NYC.

There's a disc of just Robert Fripp's live Schizoid Man solos included on 1971/2 King Crimson live comp. Intense stuff! hot smiley

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: March 7, 2019 02:22

Epigonism (noun): an artistic or literary imitation of an artist by a later generation. A detour from this word is perhaps the phrase "white man's blues".
Or a modern detour: Cultural appropriation. Common among the identity left. Hence the slang term "wigger". Mostly linked to hip hop and reggae though.

Date: March 7, 2019 02:26

His Majesty
keithsman

Three, possibly four.

No, just two.

The tremolo rhythm and the lead guitar.

Sounds like there's more going on in there to me on the original recording, like layers of guitar, you try to make that sound with two guitars, impossible.

Anyway this is a credit to Keith's genius meshing guitars, easy on the eyes too winking smiley
[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: TravelinMan ()
Date: March 7, 2019 02:36

Stoneage
Epigonism (noun): an artistic or literary imitation of an artist by a later generation. A detour from this word is perhaps the phrase "white man's blues".
Or a modern detour: Cultural appropriation. Common among the identity left. Hence the slang term "wigger". Mostly linked to hip hop and reggae though.

My problem with that is it’s like saying only white Europeans can write for symphony and orchestra. Very narrow minded thinking when applied across the board.

Date: March 7, 2019 02:45

keithsman

Sounds like there's more going on in there to me on the original recording, like layers of guitar, you try to make that sound with two guitars, impossible.

Only one rhythm with tremolo. Easy and far from impossible.

The production, ie changing the depth of the reverb on the intro gives the impression there's more going on.

But, there is just the tremolo rhythm and the lead guitar. No other guitars.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: March 7, 2019 03:06

TravelinMan
Stoneage

My problem with that is it’s like saying only white Europeans can write for symphony and orchestra. Very narrow minded thinking when applied across the board.

Agree. But Jagger said, already in the early seventies, that he was fed up with "blues purism". So I was a bit surprised when they came out with a blues tribute album in 2016.
I can only refer to it as a lack of ideas on other projects. And if I listen to the blues I actually prefer the originals. For many reasons.

Posted by: Shawn20 ()
Date: March 7, 2019 03:11

Love both Wood and Taylor - it is not a mutually exclusive situation.

Date: March 7, 2019 03:28

His Majesty
keithsman

Only one rhythm with tremolo. Easy and far from impossible.

The production, ie changing the depth of the reverb on the intro gives the impression there's more going on.

But, there is just the tremolo rhythm and the lead guitar. No other guitars.

You are probably right but to my ears a few separate guitars ( maybe the same guitars ) are woven in on GS, perhaps a bit of trickery, anyway the point was it's all Keith, Keith's guitars at the peak of his powers and if he managed to make that sound from two guitars that's even more amazing. I don't think he needed Taylor or Wood for the Stones to be what they became.
Damn where is Dande when you need him lol, i'm sure he would agree with you.winking smiley

Date: March 7, 2019 13:49

Two guitars only I hear. Keiths intro guitar and onwards, the reverb or whatever effect is bouncing to the other channel. And the lead guitar. Don't get misled by the piano.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-03-07 13:54 by TheflyingDutchman.

Date: March 7, 2019 13:59

TheflyingDutchman
Two guitars only I hear. Keiths intro guitar and onwards, the reverb or whatever effect is bouncing to the other channel. And the lead guitar. Don't get misled by the piano.

Yes and both quite scrappy when heard in isolation. grinning smiley

Date: March 7, 2019 14:08

His Majesty
TheflyingDutchman

Yes and both quite scrappy when heard in isolation. grinning smiley

This version seems to be the holy grail according to most Stones fans.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-03-07 14:16 by TheflyingDutchman.

Goto Page: Previous12345678910Next
Current Page: 6 of 10

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1437
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home