Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345678910Next
Current Page: 4 of 10
Re: Ron Wood
Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: March 5, 2019 10:54

Meise
Unlike Mick Taylor, Ronnie is able to play various instruments. Moreover, whereby MT has always stuck to his playing and sound style, RW supports several styles using a multitude of guitars.

But he's far more than a supporting guitarist to Keith on stage. During the Bigger Bang tour concert in Frankfurt, Keith was partly unable to play the guitar at all. There were several moments where he just stood there doing nothing but holding his guitar. In these cases, Ronnie took over Keith's parts which convinced me about his importance to the band.

Of course, Ronnie's personality have been the glue between Keith and Mick particularly in the 1980s[/quote

meise, are you the guy i met in Edinburgh , Golden circle???
jeroen

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: March 5, 2019 12:27

His Majesty

The Rolling Stones, ie Brian, Mick and Keith in a band together, ended on 8th June 1969.

According to Taylor, he felt his 'joining' was effectivley the beginning of a new band. He was right.

Thus, those are not really Rolling Stones albums. grinning smiley

Absolutely true!

C

Date: March 5, 2019 12:56

His Majesty
TheflyingDutchman

Why do you guys always leave Richards and Jones out in such cases ? Peaches and Apples are fruit as well.

Because as people and as musicians they, along with Mick, defined The Rolling Stones.

Comparing replacements, who could essentially be anyone, to the people who defined the thing is all kinds of wonky.

That's a rather conservative point of view.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: March 5, 2019 13:53

TheflyingDutchman

Kind of , but also not really.

It's just acknowledging that The Rolling Stones is about more than just music.

Thousands of guitarists could and do play technically far better than Brian or Keith. Many musicians could supposedly join and kick off creative peaks beyond anything they would ever be able to do before... but, all that is doing is just making it a different band.

It's like comparing other singers to Mick Jagger. In context, it's all meaningless because, along with Brian and Keith, he is The Rolling Stones.

Replace him with a different singer, even if he is obviously 'better', and it ceases to be The Rolling Stones.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-03-05 14:10 by His Majesty.

Date: March 5, 2019 14:37

Meise
Unlike Mick Taylor, Ronnie is able to play various instruments. Moreover, whereby MT has always stuck to his playing and sound style, RW supports several styles using a multitude of guitars.

But he's far more than a supporting guitarist to Keith on stage. During the Bigger Bang tour concert in Frankfurt, Keith was partly unable to play the guitar at all. There were several moments where he just stood there doing nothing but holding his guitar. In these cases, Ronnie took over Keith's parts which convinced me about his importance to the band.

Of course, Ronnie's personality have been the glue between Keith and Mick particularly in the 1980s

The notion of Ron Wood playing a lot of instruments is a bit of fantasy. Superb guitarist, obviously played Bass a lot, esp in early days, but personally I never like him on Bass all that much.
On pedal steel he has mastered staying in key, but it is usually a pastiche of..well staying in key. Drums on 'Sleep"? a disaster. Sax w/ Barbarians? a photo op.
I am a huge Ron fan. By now when it comes to listening to Stones music I think I mainly listen to all his solo albums; so it is not like I dislike him.

Date: March 5, 2019 14:43

His Majesty
TheflyingDutchman

Thousands of guitarists could and do play technically far better than Brian or Keith. Many musicians could supposedly join and kick off creative peaks beyond anything they would ever be able to do before... but, all that is doing is just making it a different band.

It's like comparing other singers to Mick Jagger. In context, it's all meaningless because, along with Brian and Keith, he is The Rolling Stones.

Replace him with a different singer, even if he is obviously 'better', and it ceases to be The Rolling Stones.

I don't understand your opinion that the Rolling Stones are more than just music??

Of course we cannot change the first version of the stones-jagger-Richatds-Wyman Watts. Jones. Compare this to a live version of say "Essen 1970" a completely different sound and band. What is original is not better per se, it'a matter of taste.

I would go as far as saying that in the end, Jagger is the only Rolling Stone that
is irreplaceable, cause he's the Roliing Stones' voice, literally.No instrument is as personal as the human voice. But hey, is it really important? Just enjoy the music.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-03-05 14:47 by TheflyingDutchman.

Date: March 5, 2019 15:05

TheflyingDutchman

I don't understand your opinion that the Rolling Stones are more than just music??

Quite.

TheflyingDutchman

I would go as far as saying that in the end, Jagger is the only Rolling Stone that
is irreplaceable, cause he's the Roliing Stones' voice, literally.No instrument is as personal as the human voice.

This is amazing, but it's not The Rolling Stones.

[www.youtube.com]

Date: March 5, 2019 15:18

His Majesty

Quite.

TheflyingDutchman

is irreplaceable, cause he's the Roliing Stones' voice, literally.No instrument is as personal as the human voice.

[www.youtube.com]

I know. Perfect Example. It isn't the Rolling Stones, it's Mick Jagger & company, actually when I listen to this, I forget about the Stones, or strangely enough, I believe it is the Stones at their Musical best. On this very piece of music the Stones are overruled. I don't mean this out of disrespect or taking sides.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-03-05 15:41 by TheflyingDutchman.

Posted by: MartinB ()
Date: March 5, 2019 15:19

TheflyingDutchman
His Majesty
TheflyingDutchman

Of course we cannot change the first version of the stones-jagger-Richatds-Wyman Watts. Jones. Compare this to a live version of say "Essen 1970" a completely different sound and band. What is original is not better per se, it'a matter of taste.

is irreplaceable, cause he's the Roliing Stones' voice, literally.No instrument is as personal as the human voice. But hey, is it really important? Just enjoy the music.

Yes, soundwise you are right, apart from Jagger all others could be "immitated".

But, as far as I am concerned, I am going to see Stones at least partly because of what they, as a group of people, mean to me. And because of their charisma, which is even less replacable than voice. Of course, Keith is the most charismatic but all of the current 4 members have plenty of it. And having them all together creates the magic.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: March 5, 2019 15:29

Very few bands - ZZ Top come to mind - make it over 10 years with the original line-up. I personally enjoy all the different versions of "The Rolling Stones".

Posted by: ROLLINGSTONE ()
Date: March 5, 2019 15:40

I would go to the extent of saying that Ronnie has 'carried' the band guitar-wise on stage on past tours especially after Keith took his tumble from the tree. Wish they'd give him one solo slot on a Stones show but it's never gonny happen. A Legend and still has that boyish aura. smiling smiley

"I'll be in my basement room with a needle and a spoon."

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: March 5, 2019 15:44

Elmo Lewis
... I personally enjoy all the different versions of "The Rolling Stones".

thumbs up Me too .

They're a band for all seasons...and a band of many seasons

Date: March 5, 2019 15:48

TheflyingDutchman
His Majesty

[www.youtube.com]

I know. Perfect Example. It isn't the Rolling Stones, it's Mick Jagger & company, actually when I listen to this, I forget the about the Stones, or strangely enough, I believe it is the Stones at their Musical best. On this very piece of music the Stones are overruled. I don't mean this out of disrespect or taking sides.

I love it, one of the best things he's ever done. hot smiley

Related via Cooder, Jamming With Edward is cool listening too.

[www.youtube.com]

But, with no Brian and Keith, it's not The Rolling Stones... just as Sticky, Exile, GHS, IORR etc aren't really.

Date: March 5, 2019 16:05

His Majesty

But, with no Brian and Keith, it's not The Rolling Stones... just as Sticky, Exile, GHS, IORR etc aren't really.

M f T is Jagger only and Sticky etc is without Jones. From an ID point of view you're correct.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: March 5, 2019 16:09

TheflyingDutchman
His Majesty

Quite.

TheflyingDutchman

[www.youtube.com]

I know. Perfect Example. It isn't the Rolling Stones, it's Mick Jagger & company, actually when I listen to this, I forget about the Stones, or strangely enough, I believe it is the Stones at their Musical best. On this very piece of music the Stones are overruled. I don't mean this out of disrespect or taking sides. It's my perception.

I first heard "Memo From Turner" in some Rolling Stones Decca rarities collection, was it called COLLECTORS ONLY or something like that, and I was totally knocked by it. I didn't know anything of its origin, so I thought it was The Stones there. And at their very dirty best, pure BEGGARS BANQUET/LET IT BLEED era manner. So it was a huge disappointment later to learn that it's only Jagger of them there... Anyway, to me it belongs to Stones or Jagger/Richards classics from that era, next to all those streetfightingmans, gimmeshelters, synpathyforthedevils, straycatblueses, sistermorphines, etc.

Since this is a Ronnie Wood thread, WIKI claims that he played a version of "Memo From Turner" in some of his 1987/88 club gigs. Any truth in that? Bootleg testimony?

- Doxa

Date: March 5, 2019 16:16

Doxa
TheflyingDutchman
His Majesty

Quite.

TheflyingDutchman

[www.youtube.com]

I know. Perfect Example. It isn't the Rolling Stones, it's Mick Jagger & company, actually when I listen to this, I forget about the Stones, or strangely enough, I believe it is the Stones at their Musical best. On this very piece of music the Stones are overruled. I don't mean this out of disrespect or taking sides. It's my perception.

I first heard "Memo From Turner" in some Rolling Stones Decca rarities collection, was it called COLLECTORS ONLY or something like that, and I was totally knocked by it. I didn't know anything of its origin, so I thought it was The Stones there. And at their very dirty best, pure BEGGARS BANQUET/LET IT BLEED era manner. So it was a huge disappointment later to learn that it's only Jagger of them there... Anyway, to me it belongs to Stones or Jagger/Richards classics from that era, next to all those streetfightingmans, gimmeshelters, synpathyforthedevils, straycatblueses, sistermorphines, etc.

Since this is a Ronnie Wood thread, WIKI claims that he played a version of "Memo From Turner" in some of his 1987/88 club gigs. Any truth in that? Bootleg testimony?

- Doxa

I cannot answer your Ron Wood Question, but why were you disappointed to find out it's not the Stones playing Memo From Turner?

Date: March 5, 2019 16:21

Doxa

- Doxa

He references it on a faces or Rod Stewart release. Can't remember which.

EDIT: Here it is

[youtu.be]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-03-05 16:45 by His Majesty.

Posted by: chrism13 ()
Date: March 5, 2019 16:27

He play's a nice harmonica & saw him play a little reggae piano at Roseland for the beginning of You don't Have to Mean it. Love his guitar playing, in particular his single note leads and slide work. Let It Bleed Hampton '81!

Date: March 5, 2019 17:05

His Majesty
Doxa

- Doxa

He references it on a faces or Rod Stewart release. Can't remember which.

EDIT: Here it is

[youtu.be]

thumbs up

- Doxa

Date: March 5, 2019 17:24

TheflyingDutchman

I cannot answer your Ron Wood Question, but why were you disappointed to find out it's not the Stones playing Memo From Turner?

Well, because it sounded so damn good, and I wanted my favourite band to sound so good... I was thirteen years old... grinning smiley

I was especially moved by the distinctive slide guitar (which I still today think is one of the coolest slide guitar parts ever recorded), so in my mind I was giving credits to some of those great Stones guitarists, mostly Keith. I wasn't yet totally aware of their style, strenghts, limitations, etc. (Anyway, the cacophonic solo part of the song has always reminded me some of what Keith does in "Stray Cat Blues")

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-03-05 17:27 by Doxa.

Posted by: OpenG ()
Date: March 5, 2019 17:57

Rolling Stones - Golden record Sticky Fingers & Jam Session

The Golden Period and Golden Record - Chicago Blues Turns into Stones Blues -

Posted by: OpenG ()
Date: March 5, 2019 17:58

[www.youtube.com]

The Golden Period and Golden Record - Chicago Blues Turns into Stones Blues -

Date: March 5, 2019 18:08

Midnight Toker
The Stomes best records were with MT.

These singles, plus at the very least these 3 albums say otherwise.

I Wanna Be Your Man
[www.youtube.com]

Not Fade Away
[www.youtube.com]

It's All Over Now
[www.youtube.com]

Little Red Rooster
[www.youtube.com]

The Last Time
[www.youtube.com]

(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction
[www.youtube.com]

Get Off Of My Cloud
[www.youtube.com]

19th Nervous Breakdown
[www.youtube.com]

Pain't It Black
[www.youtube.com]

Let's Spend The Night Together
[www.youtube.com]

Ruby Tuesday
[www.youtube.com]

We Love You
[www.youtube.com]

Jumpin' Jack Flash
[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: March 5, 2019 18:20

keithsman
Hairball
keithsman
His Majesty
Midnight Toker

No they weren't.

Sticky Fingers
Exile
GHS
IORR
not the Stones best records confused smiley surely these four in a row were their peak, four of the best in a row in 4 years.

Beggars Banquet (sans Taylor) is arguably better than all of those - definitely far better than the latter two imo.
And while I would currently name Exile as the best, Beggars, Let it Bleed, and Sticky Fingers sometimes get the nod.
As great as MT was, not everything recorded in the studio from his era can be considered "the best".
Live performances are another story though - everything he touched turned into GOLD...winking smiley ... (including the 50 and Counting shows)!

I agree, plus Beggars and Let It Bleed don't have Ronnie on them, and that's the point.

I thought your point was "four of the best in a row in 4 years" were Sticky Fingers, Exile, GHS, and IORR, and that those were "their peak" (failing to mention Beggars) - at least that's how it read to me.
But now that you cleared that up (?), I'd go so far to say that Some Girls is better than both GHS and IORR. Yes there are some great tunes on those two (some of which I prefer over anything on Some Girls),
and some of the solos from Taylor are exquisite and amongst his best, but as a whole album from start to finish as one complete piece - my vote goes to Some Girls, thanks in part to Ronnie's contributions.
Could be a personal attachment and the memories it evokes from when it was released in '78 when I was 15 (the soundtrack to the summer of '78, etc.), and obviously just my opinion, but if put on a desert island and only allowed to bring one of those three - Some Girls it is.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-03-05 18:30 by Hairball.

Date: March 5, 2019 18:21

Hairball

I thought your point was "four of the best in a row in 4 years" were Sticky Fingers, Exile, GHS, and IORR, and that those were "their peak" (failing to mention Beggars) - at least that's how it read to me.

That is what he said.

Date: March 5, 2019 18:30

Just to add to previous post re his musicianship, that one area he doesn't get much credit is his singing.
I think he is a great singer. He's much like Hendrix, where singing isn't their main thing, but they have this innate swagger that many others would die for.
Ron can hang with Bobby Womack just fine; he stays true to who he is, and just happens to run with a lot of soul.
If he only ever sang that one line from "Priceless", he would still be in my HOF.
[youtu.be] at around 0:20 "...loved a lot of women, and you know I ain't lyin', I ain't lyin..." Because you know he is not lying. smiling smiley

This makes me reflect on Keith's singing. You can't spend a lifetime joined to Mick Jagger at the hip, and not have Jagger's powerful spell rub off on you. But Jagger is always in control of his personas, while Keith has slowly developed this bizarre London/deep south drawl/Jamaica hybrid.In theory that looks cool, but sounds labored.

Date: March 5, 2019 19:19

Doxa
TheflyingDutchman

Well, because it sounded so damn good, and I wanted my favourite band to sound so good... I was thirteen years old... grinning smiley

- Doxa

Keep it like that cool smiley

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: March 5, 2019 19:53

His Majesty
Midnight Toker

These singles, plus at the very least these 3 albums say otherwise.

I Wanna Be Your Man
[www.youtube.com]

Not Fade Away
[www.youtube.com]

It's All Over Now
[www.youtube.com]

Little Red Rooster
[www.youtube.com]

The Last Time
[www.youtube.com]

(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction
[www.youtube.com]

Get Off Of My Cloud
[www.youtube.com]

19th Nervous Breakdown
[www.youtube.com]

Pain't It Black
[www.youtube.com]

Let's Spend The Night Together
[www.youtube.com]

Ruby Tuesday
[www.youtube.com]

We Love You
[www.youtube.com]

Jumpin' Jack Flash
[www.youtube.com]

That's a tough one to argue against His Majesty.

If asked today at this very minute, and after contemplating your post, I would probably opt for the Brian era over the MT era if stuck on a desert island. But what would life be without Exile? confused smiley winking smiley
Ask me again tomorrow, and I'd probably go with the MT era (especially if all live recordings are considered), but one thing's almost certain - I don't think I would ever pick the Ronnie era over either of those two.
The fact that I've only seen them live during the Ronnie era is something I would consider, but really has no baring on my vote - just trying to be as objective as possible given the recorded evidence - both studio and live.

Date: March 5, 2019 21:05

Life without Exile is fine and dandy.

Beggars, LIB, Sticky and Exile are all kind of the same thing. A formula was landed upon in 1968 and re used for the next few albums.

Beggars Banquet is the best one though because it's has the freshness of new found inspiration and it's by the actual Rolling Stones.

grinning smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-03-05 21:10 by His Majesty.

Posted by: powerage78 ()
Date: March 5, 2019 21:20

I purely love the Stones with Mick Taylor.
Gold era. Period.

I like them with Ronnie.

I'm just a Bad Boy Boogie

Goto Page: Previous12345678910Next
Current Page: 4 of 10

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1313
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home