Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345678910Next
Current Page: 3 of 10
Re: Ron Wood
Posted by: Spud ()
Date: March 4, 2019 11:39

I've never understood the need to compare Ronnie with MT in a "better or worse" sense.

Different times, different players and different personalities.

Just enjoy the best of what they've each given us...

...and forgive them the worst .

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: March 4, 2019 14:20

Spot on,Spud...

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: March 4, 2019 14:29

Spud
I've never understood the need to compare Ronnie with MT in a "better or worse" sense.

hopefully this rational adult stage of development will be limited to only a core number of deep fans.

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 2019-03-04 15:13 by hopkins.

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: March 4, 2019 15:59

Ronnie Wood, God bless him!

Artist with a capital "A".

From Black and Blue to Blue and Lonesome, RW's brilliance and distinctive guiatrism is all other the place!

Live?

Saw the Stones from "Keith's side" only 3 times since 1990, and always because I couldn't reach Ronnie's side. Every single time, he delivered. Always.

C

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: March 4, 2019 17:11

hopkins
Spud

hopefully this rational adult stage of development will be limited to only a core number of deep fans.

Adult ? Rational ?

I'll have to tell the missus that someone has associated those attributes with me !

...and I'll be using it in my defence from this time forward .

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-03-04 17:12 by Spud.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: March 4, 2019 17:49

In my younger days in the late '70's before I knew any better, I used to praise what I thought was Ronnie's amazing guitar solo on Hand of Fate.
Little did I know, but it all made sense when I found out the truth a couple years later (Wayne Perkins) as there were no such solo's on Some Girls, though it did kind of burst my bubble.
Still one of my favorite guitar solo's by anybody after all these years, and Ronnie gave it his best when I saw them play it live at Stockholm Cirkus and Vredenburg - though no doubt it was a bit ramshackle.
Maybe/hopefully they'll revisit it on the upcoming tour and let Ronnie rip it up on the solo...I'm pretty sure he could do it some justice now vs. the way he played it back then.

Posted by: partnerincrime ()
Date: March 4, 2019 17:56

Hands off Ron Wood!
And please stop the comparaison between him and Mick Taylor: different players, different times, different Stones! I think his sound is distinctive and helped to charachterize the Stones mark III. Not to talk about what he did with the Faces and solo, beautiful!
m.

Posted by: windmelody ()
Date: March 4, 2019 18:07

In my opinion Ron Wood played very wellduring the Steel Wheels/Urban Jungle Tour. Another highlight is his performance on the Stripped recordings which were recorded in 1995. The Faces were nice, but more a fun band.

Posted by: Gaetzi ()
Date: March 4, 2019 18:28

That 1978 JFF posted earlier made my palms sweaty. You can feel the blow pulsing across the stage. It was too much (no knock on Ronny)- Mick's just screaming the lyrics, out of control tempo. I went back and listened to the live '72 version. That's where it's at.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-03-04 18:28 by Gaetzi.

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: March 4, 2019 19:21

Gaetzi
That 1978 JFF posted earlier made my palms sweaty. You can feel the blow pulsing across the stage. It was too much (no knock on Ronny)- Mick's just screaming the lyrics, out of control tempo. I went back and listened to the live '72 version. That's where it's at.

In 1978 JJF was the last number, not so in 1972.

72 versions of Street Fighting Man were just as wild as JJF in 78

C

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: March 4, 2019 23:33

One made the band sound more like everyone else, the other made them sound like one dimension of itself.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-03-04 23:37 by His Majesty.

Date: March 5, 2019 00:06

His Majesty

One made the band sound more like everyone else[, the other made them sound like one dimension of itself.

How dirty.smoking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-03-05 00:07 by TheflyingDutchman.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: March 5, 2019 00:31

Sure, one can argue which is best, Taylor or Wood. Strawberry or banana. Goes on forever. But the one replacement that really was a miss was the replacement of Bill.
Since then it's The Rolling Stones x 0.8.

Date: March 5, 2019 00:44

Stoneage
Sure, one can argue which is best, Taylor or Wood. Strawberry or banana. Goes on forever. But the one replacement that really was a miss was the replacement of Bill.

Why do you guys always leave Richards and Jones out in such cases ? Peaches and Apples are fruit as well.

Posted by: keithsman ()
Date: March 5, 2019 00:56

Stoneage

In the real world i don't think one can argue who is best, Wood or Taylor ?, there is no arguing who is a better player or who brought out the best in the Stones.

To my mind they were never the same after Stew died.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-03-05 01:00 by keithsman.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: March 5, 2019 01:23

Forget Taylor. Forget who is a 'real fan'. I really can't think of someone better to have stepped into the Jones/Taylor guitar slot, visually, aurally, and English-y. He has done his job. And what's this about him not being a lead guitar player? Keith can't play a lead for beans now. The only lead guitarist in the group is Ron Wood. And yet he can blend in with Keith when called upon. Hail, hail, Ron Wood!

Date: March 5, 2019 01:34

TheflyingDutchman

Why do you guys always leave Richards and Jones out in such cases ? Peaches and Apples are fruit as well.

Because as people and as musicians they, along with Mick, defined The Rolling Stones.

Comparing replacements, who could essentially be anyone, to the people who defined the thing is all kinds of wonky.

Date: March 5, 2019 01:47

24FPS
Forget Taylor. Forget who is a 'real fan'. I really can't think of someone better to have stepped into the Jones/Taylor guitar slot, visually, aurally, and English-y. He has done his job. And what's this about him not being a lead guitar player? Keith can't play a lead for beans now. The only lead guitarist in the group is Ron Wood. And yet he can blend in with Keith when called upon. Hail, hail, Ron Wood!

Keith still plays the leads and most of the solos.
Pretty much nothing has changed in that respect, they were weaving well together again last year so it's still a healthy relationship Ronnie has with Keith when it comes to playing.

Posted by: Midnight Toker ()
Date: March 5, 2019 02:07

Ron Wood is versatile and solid, but can you name ONE great Ron Wood solo
since 1975?

Taylor's solos and vibrato gives me goose bumps.The Stomes best records
were with MT.

Date: March 5, 2019 02:10

Midnight Toker
The Stomes best records were with MT.

No they weren't.

Date: March 5, 2019 02:35

His Majesty
Midnight Toker

No they weren't.

Sticky Fingers
Exile
GHS
IORR
not the Stones best records confused smiley surely these four in a row were their peak, four of the best in a row in 4 years.

Date: March 5, 2019 03:15

GHS and IORR are far from great.

Sticky and Exile are obviously full of amazing music.

But...

The Rolling Stones, ie Brian, Mick and Keith in a band together, ended on 8th June 1969.

According to Taylor, he felt his 'joining' was effectivley the beginning of a new band. He was right.

Thus, those are not really Rolling Stones albums. grinning smiley

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: March 5, 2019 05:36

keithsman
His Majesty
Midnight Toker

No they weren't.

Sticky Fingers
Exile
GHS
IORR
not the Stones best records confused smiley surely these four in a row were their peak, four of the best in a row in 4 years.

Beggars Banquet (sans Taylor) is arguably better than all of those - definitely far better than the latter two imo.
And while I would currently name Exile as the best, Beggars, Let it Bleed, and Sticky Fingers sometimes get the nod.
As great as MT was, not everything recorded in the studio from his era can be considered "the best".
Live performances are another story though - everything he touched turned into GOLD...winking smiley ... (including the 50 and Counting shows)!

Posted by: erbissell ()
Date: March 5, 2019 06:00

Mick Taylor is a better guitar player, Ronnie Wood is a better Rolling Stone.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: March 5, 2019 06:22

His Majesty
GHS and IORR are far from great.

Sticky and Exile are obviously full of amazing music.

But...

The Rolling Stones, ie Brian, Mick and Keith in a band together, ended on 8th June 1969.

According to Taylor, he felt his 'joining' was effectivley the beginning of a new band. He was right.

Thus, those are not really Rolling Stones albums. grinning smiley

Sure they are. They are the BEST version of the Rolling Stones. The Real Rolling Stones ended in January, 1993.

Posted by: Meise ()
Date: March 5, 2019 09:33

Unlike Mick Taylor, Ronnie is able to play various instruments. Moreover, whereby MT has always stuck to his playing and sound style, RW supports several styles using a multitude of guitars.

But he's far more than a supporting guitarist to Keith on stage. During the Bigger Bang tour concert in Frankfurt, Keith was partly unable to play the guitar at all. There were several moments where he just stood there doing nothing but holding his guitar. In these cases, Ronnie took over Keith's parts which convinced me about his importance to the band.

Of course, Ronnie's personality have been the glue between Keith and Mick particularly in the 1980s

Date: March 5, 2019 09:53

24FPS

Sure they are. They are the BEST version of the Rolling Stones.

Nope. Taylor was right. That was a new band.

Posted by: powerage78 ()
Date: March 5, 2019 09:59

thumbs up

His Majesty
One made the band sound more like everyone else, the other made them sound like one dimension of itself.

I'm just a Bad Boy Boogie

Date: March 5, 2019 10:40

Hairball
keithsman
His Majesty
Midnight Toker

No they weren't.

Sticky Fingers
Exile
GHS
IORR

Beggars Banquet (sans Taylor) is arguably better than all of those - definitely far better than the latter two imo.
And while I would currently name Exile as the best, Beggars, Let it Bleed, and Sticky Fingers sometimes get the nod.
As great as MT was, not everything recorded in the studio from his era can be considered "the best".
Live performances are another story though - everything he touched turned into GOLD...winking smiley ... (including the 50 and Counting shows)!

I agree, plus Beggars and Let It Bleed don't have Ronnie on them, and that's the point.

Date: March 5, 2019 10:50

Meise
Unlike Mick Taylor, Ronnie is able to play various instruments. Moreover, whereby MT has always stuck to his playing and sound style, RW supports several styles using a multitude of guitars.

But he's far more than a supporting guitarist to Keith on stage. During the Bigger Bang tour concert in Frankfurt, Keith was partly unable to play the guitar at all. There were several moments where he just stood there doing nothing but holding his guitar. In these cases, Ronnie took over Keith's parts which convinced me about his importance to the band.

Of course, Ronnie's personality have been the glue between Keith and Mick particularly in the 1980s

I've noticed time and again that when Keith stops playing for a moment to wave to the crowd or whatever, the music comes to a standstill, there are some tapes that reveal just Keith's guitar live in the mix and it becomes obvious that Keith's guitar carries the music and the band, especially pre head surgery. I've not seen many instances no matter how @#$%& up Keith is where Ronnie plays Keith's parts, ( possibly in 07' ) plus i think Keith might wrap his guitar around someones head if they dare took over his parts winking smiley

Goto Page: Previous12345678910Next
Current Page: 3 of 10

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1537
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home