Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345678910Next
Current Page: 2 of 10
Re: Ron Wood
Posted by: WorriedAboutYou ()
Date: March 3, 2019 16:39

I've always thought he has terrible taste, from his garish clothes, awful paintings, ridiculous hair and his constant mugging for the camera. Not to mention some of the dreck he's played with like Stereophoncs, etc. Some of his playing in Faces was okay, but in the Stones he's just a constant irritation for me.

The polar opposite of Jones and Taylor. Completely lacking substance, taste or style.

Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: March 3, 2019 16:43

I’m worried about you...

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: March 3, 2019 16:52

Kurt
I’m worried about you...

smileys with beerhot smileysmileys with beer
Jeroen

Date: March 3, 2019 18:36

WorriedAboutYou
I've always thought he has terrible taste, from his garish clothes, awful paintings, ridiculous hair and his constant mugging for the camera. Not to mention some of the dreck he's played with like Stereophoncs, etc. Some of his playing in Faces was okay, but in the Stones he's just a constant irritation for me.

The polar opposite of Jones and Taylor. Completely lacking substance, taste or style.

I don't agree with most you write here. I agree though that Ron Wood's playing/musical role made the Stones a less interesting band to listen to.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-03-03 18:42 by TheflyingDutchman.

Date: March 3, 2019 18:44

jahisnotdead
Mick Taylor is a fantastic guitarist and he brought a certain musicality to the Stones that they've never quite recaptured. But I'm always struck by how spiritless he looks whenever I'm watching one of his performances. He looks like he's having no fun at all and that he'd much rather be in a studio or anywhere else in the world but on stage with the Stones. So, I love listening to Taylor and probably prefer him on a musical level, but Ron Wood brings a lot to the table as well.

I think Ron Wood melds better with Keith's style, and I like it when they sound like one big guitar and the leads just kind of flow out of the rhythm riffs and back into them again. I completely agree that Mick & Keith should take advantage of Ron's songwriting talents more often. As a showman, I think Wood blows Taylor out of the water. I believe the contribution of Ron's energy and enthusiasm shouldn't be underestimated. I truly think he helps everyone else in the band get into it more.

Not to set off a Taylor vs Ron debate, but that notion seemed so right at first, and ultimately didn't have staying power. everything in setlists today, on radio and Big Hits seems to be Taylor/ Keith material and school of playing.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: March 3, 2019 19:07

Palace Revolution 2000
jahisnotdead
Mick Taylor is a fantastic guitarist and he brought a certain musicality to the Stones that they've never quite recaptured. But I'm always struck by how spiritless he looks whenever I'm watching one of his performances. He looks like he's having no fun at all and that he'd much rather be in a studio or anywhere else in the world but on stage with the Stones. So, I love listening to Taylor and probably prefer him on a musical level, but Ron Wood brings a lot to the table as well.

I think Ron Wood melds better with Keith's style, and I like it when they sound like one big guitar and the leads just kind of flow out of the rhythm riffs and back into them again. I completely agree that Mick & Keith should take advantage of Ron's songwriting talents more often. As a showman, I think Wood blows Taylor out of the water. I believe the contribution of Ron's energy and enthusiasm shouldn't be underestimated. I truly think he helps everyone else in the band get into it more.

Not to set off a Taylor vs Ron debate, but that notion seemed so right at first, and ultimately didn't have staying power. everything in setlists today, on radio and Big Hits seems to be Taylor/ Keith material and school of playing.

Can't find any praiseworthy quotes about Ronnie's playing from band members (surely some must exist?), but found these from Mick and Charlie about Mick Taylor:

“He was a very fluent, melodic player, which we never had, and we don’t have now… Some people think that’s the best version of the band that existed.” - Mick Jagger

“...the Mick Taylor period was a creative peak for us. A tremendous jump in musical credibility.” - Charlie

Posted by: OpenG ()
Date: March 3, 2019 19:20

[www.youtube.com]

Hey - My favorite Ron Wood studio solo - Blinded By Rainbows When Ron Wood hits that first note at 2.55 for a very brief moment I can hear Mick Taylor(LOL) and soon it fades but a very good solo by Ron Wood

Date: March 3, 2019 19:27

he Defense of Ron Wood
Date: April 21, 2005 13:18

I defended Ron Wood way back

now only kidding to early in the morning to be serious peace

The Defense Of Ron Wood

Opening Statement To The Jury:

I believe RW was a good choice for the RS in that he carried
on in the footsteps of Brian Jones and contributed to the sound
and success of the band post MT.

Attorney:What was your role with the band
RW: My role was to play second fiddle to Keith Richards
Attorney: I did not know Keith played fiddle
Jury(laughs)
RW: Oh sorry let me explain I was referring to the guitar
Attorney: Oh of course would that be lead or rhythm
RW: Just like everyone else there you go making a distinction
between the guitars,Either you are a guitar player or a phony.
Attorney:Besides the guitar what were your other roles.
RW: To clown around on stage and party with Keith all night which
only a few have been able to do with Keith.
Attorney: Oh yes you have done that very well based on your last tour.
RW: just trying to make Keith happy and not rock the boat.
Attorney: What was your best solo we all know about Mick Taylor's
legacy with the band.
RW: My best solo was my bass solo with Jeff Beck many years back
Attorney: No I mean with Keith.
RW: Oh yes how silly of me it was a 90 minute gig me and Keith did
in my New York Apartment for the Dirty Work sessions which was a
nightmare you know the whole Keith I hate you jagger scene.Well
anyway I was able to plug in and out depending on how Keith felt
I was playing.If I played well Keith just turned me off and listened
to himself.
Attorney: Many stones fans think you have not pulled your end over
the years and your playing limits what songs the band now can play
live on stage how do you answer the fans.
RW:You Can,t Always Get What You Want so enjoy the music which
is still alive and well.
Attorney: One last question what is your best imitation of Keith
Richards all these years.
RW: My cropped up hair silly I can,t play a damm lick on the guitar
and I am scared to death to play the solos for All Down The LIne
and Shine A Light.Thats what the clowing around is all about to make
everyone forgot how bad a player I have come to be.
Attorney:Is that why you and Keith have done all that spining
in all those guitar mag's and have explained your guitar sound as
weaving to confuse the fan trying to figure out who is playing what
parts.
RW:have the jury put the headsets on and let them decide
Attorney: are you sure you want to do this.
RW: yeah only if keith can overdub the guitars

peace

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: March 3, 2019 19:32

Hairball
Palace Revolution 2000
jahisnotdead

Can't find any praiseworthy quotes about Ronnie's playing from band members (surely some must exist?), but found these from Mick and Charlie about Mick Taylor:

“He was a very fluent, melodic player, which we never had, and we don’t have now… Some people think that’s the best version of the band that existed.” - Mick Jagger

“...the Mick Taylor period was a creative peak for us. A tremendous jump in musical credibility.” - Charlie

Meh.. Once someone is in the "former" member category, other members then get asked about them and of course they respond politely and positively.
From all accounts, plenty of negative they could throw his way.. both from back in the day and his more recent guest appearances. Glad they keep it professional.

Mick's quote is accurate.. key word "was"..
Charlie's quote also accurate.. key word "us".. nobody argues that this was the bands most creative period.

Posted by: Testify ()
Date: March 3, 2019 19:51

No Wood, No party, No Stones !
I hope this does not become the umpteenth Taylor - Wood juxtaposition. What I believe is that Wood for many years in the Stones has not been recognized as a musician, but it would be enough to see and listen to Wood's career with the Stones, Faces and his solo career. He has done much more than many other revered guitarists ... sorry if it is not enough. Not everyone can write Every Picture Tells to Story or Gasoline Alley.

Posted by: FrogSugar ()
Date: March 3, 2019 20:42

Only pit I ever had was his side, an awesome time. Beyond the playing, I love the character, if I ever had the choice I would get left (Ron) pit every time. Ron Wood rules. He's the guy I'd wanna party with in the Stones.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: March 3, 2019 21:58

Longevity:

Wood: 45 years
Taylor: 5 years

Posted by: keithsman ()
Date: March 3, 2019 22:13

WorriedAboutYou

Although i don't agree with all you say, i definitely agree that he is a constant irritation, and as someone just said without realising, Taylor did more for the band in 5 years than Ronnie has done in 45 years.

Posted by: Testify ()
Date: March 3, 2019 22:34

There are some Ronnie guitar solos that are simply fantastic. Some that come to mind:
Hearts for Sale
Break the Spell (bass)
Respectable
BOB
Miss You
blinded by rainbows
Undercover
The Worst (pedal steel)
I love Ronnie as he plays the songs of the 60s, it is in many ways very similar to Brian, but unfortunately the Stones have never used it to the maximum.
[www.youtube.com]

Talent!

Posted by: KeithNacho ()
Date: March 3, 2019 22:54

Ron wood is in rolling stones camp since 1974-75. How can you follow a Band during almost 50 years bashing the actual line up?? I'd much prefer focus in other things
1978-1983 albums are great ones, much better than other supossed contemporary great bands and albums.
Albums from 68-72 were masterpieces, But i prefer and enjoy the pathe marconi thing

Date: March 3, 2019 23:23

KeithNacho
Ron wood is in rolling stones camp since 1974-75. How can you follow a Band during almost 50 years bashing the actual line up?? I'd much prefer focus in other things
1978-1983 albums are great ones, much better than other supossed contemporary great bands and albums.
Albums from 68-72 were masterpieces, But i prefer and enjoy the pathe marconi thing

That's a bit like saying how can you like Hendrix when you don't love Noel Redding on base.
I love the Stones in spite of Ronnie not because of Ronnie.
I just can't follow how they kept him on through all those years when he was just hanging on and giving nothing to the band.
OK OK he's been great recently but that can't change the fact that he was just Keith's drinking buddy for decades, that's basically how he kept his place in the band, and to say he saved the band it just laughable, imagine Mick Jagger trying to hold it all together on stage when he had not one but two wasted guitarists.
See the thing is Keith could drink and take coke and still play like Keith Richards, Ronnie just couldn't, he was just so disappointing for too many years to hail him as some sort of savior of the band.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: March 3, 2019 23:32

You Cant Always Get What You want - LA 10th July 75

.........Ronnie reaches for the clouds and hits 'em ....

ROCKMAN

Date: March 3, 2019 23:41

MisterDDDD
Hairball
Palace Revolution 2000
jahisnotdead

Meh.. Once someone is in the "former" member category, other members then get asked about them and of course they respond politely and positively.
From all accounts, plenty of negative they could throw his way.. both from back in the day and his more recent guest appearances. Glad they keep it professional.

Mick's quote is accurate.. key word "was"..
Charlie's quote also accurate.. key word "us".. nobody argues that this was the bands most creative period.

Mick's quote is also accurate when he says "and we don't have that now" referring to Ronnie who is not a very fluent, melodic player ala Mick Taylor.
He then goes on to say "some people think that’s the best version of the band that existed" - hard to argue with him on that.

As for Charlies quote, he says they gained credibility with Mick Taylor and actually refers to it as the "Mick Taylor era", but also seems to be insinuating after Mick Taylor left, it was all downhill from there.
After a peak, there's always a decline, and he didn't say they peaked during Steel Wheels (or whatever Ronnie era album) which is telling.

As for being in the "former"member category and having praise heaped on them, evidently you haven't read some of their nasty thoughts on Brian after they kicked him out.
Not very "polite", "positive", or "professional" to use your words.

keithsman
Taylor did more for the band in 5 years than Ronnie has done in 45 years.

That about sums it up, and he's one of the reasons that period is referred to as the Golden Era.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-03-03 23:44 by Hairball.

Date: March 4, 2019 01:02

Hairball
As for being in the "former"member category and having praise heaped on them, evidently you haven't read some of their nasty thoughts on Brian after they kicked him out.
Not very "polite", "positive", or "professional" to use your words.

More meh..
No recent Brian disrespects.. they speak kindly and professionally now, like MT.

Seems to be an issue with some fans.. stuck in their past, with the Taylor era and wanting another Exile.. each his own I suppose.

Date: March 4, 2019 01:13

Hairball it's hopeless, it doesn't matter how hard or well you state facts, or show the bleeding obvious, they will just see it how they want to see it.
Fanboys, it's all good to them, even shit smells good to them.

Date: March 4, 2019 01:22

keithsman
Hairball it's hopeless, it doesn't matter how hard or well you state facts, or show the bleeding obvious, they will just see it how they want to see it.

Gotta capture this gem before it gets deleted/revised as it often does.

Bit of a pattern with km. Disagrees with an opinion, gets panties bunched tight, spews vile response, rethinks and revises it, repeat.

Date: March 4, 2019 01:35

It's not being stuck in the past to appreciate one era over another. Like the Allman Brothers - they were best when Duane was still alive, but they carried on as best they could without him.
Or the Yardbirds - Clapton left, then Jeff Beck left, then Jimmy Page ultimately took over. Or Mayalls Bluesbreakers - Clapton, then Peter Green, then Mick Taylor, and on and on.\
Which version of those bands was best is debatable as all were virtuoso guitar players, but can't imagine how they'd be if someone like Ronnie came in as a replacement.

As for Ronnie, Some Girls and Tattoo You are fantastic and wish they could some day match the qualities of both of those albums. Obviously another Exile will never happen without Mick Taylor.
Finally, there's a big reason why the 50 and Counting Tour was such a success and the last of the great Stones tours according to many, and that would be because of Mick Taylor.

Posted by: shadooby ()
Date: March 4, 2019 01:38

Date: March 4, 2019 02:01

Hairball

Finally, there's a big reason why the 50 and Counting Tour was such a success and the last of the great Stones tours according to many, and that would be because of Mick Taylor.

To be honest, I'm just encouraged to hear you refer to one of their tours as a "success".
Could be a turning point cool smiley

Haven't met or heard from these "many" you refer to that believe it was the "last of their great tours"..
It was great no doubt.. I'll agree, choosing to end on an agreement.

Date: March 4, 2019 02:07

MisterDDDD
Hairball

To be honest, I'm just encouraged to hear you refer to one of their tours as a "success".
Could be a turning point cool smiley

Haven't met or heard from these "many" you refer to that believe it was the "last of their great tours"..
It was great no doubt.. I'll agree, choosing to end on an agreement.

Many tours have been a success - don't be silly, but musically speaking it was the last of the truly great ones, and there are many here amongst us who feel that way.

keithsman

Perhaps for some that's the case, but it makes me wonder if some of them have ever even played a guitar, or are simply basing their opinions on personality and likeability.

Date: March 4, 2019 02:09

MisterDDDD
keithsman

Gotta capture this gem before it gets deleted/revised as it often does.

Bit of a pattern with km. Disagrees with an opinion, gets panties bunched tight, spews vile response, rethinks and revises it, repeat.
'
What are you on about, aren't all my posts gems ? eye rolling smiley
You think it vile to say to Hairball that no matter how hard he tries to explain something, people are fixed in their opinions, you think Ronnie years are better than Taylor years and nothing is going to change that, good for you, i'm pleased you like all that stuff, that's your opinion, and i have a differing opinion, that's life, Taylor brings such pleasure to my ears, Ronnie has his moments, as as i say, he's been great recently ( on and off ) but i'm yet to hear Taylor have an off night with the Stones, even when he's winging it.

Date: March 4, 2019 02:28

slew
To me the Stones were at their best especially live with Taylor BUT Ronnie is very versatile and fit in with Keith at a time when things were very tense. I think Ronnie gets slagged on way too much. He is never going to be as technically gifted as Taylor, very few are.

Well said slew - Ronnie came in at the right time when they needed someone at a time when things were very tense.
He's like a jack of all trades (and master of none?), and that's not meant to be a slag but more of a comment on his versatility. He might not be as versatile as Brian Jones was, but his pedal steel on Faraway Eyes is one of his greatest achievement with the Stones, and I don't think it would have sounded the same with any other player. And while he was and never will be as technically gifted as Taylor, he's been accepted as part of the band long ago, and as fate would have it he pretty much carries them in the guitar department these days. Dare I say it - no Ronnie, no more Stones.

Posted by: Shade ()
Date: March 4, 2019 02:43

Can’t believe some of the stuff I read here....are some of you sure you’re Stones fans?

Brian this, Mick that, what about Ronnie....blah blah blah....Those aren’t “facts” those are opinions or preferences

Put on your favorite album and be glad the boys are still on the road

Posted by: Fernandobsas ()
Date: March 4, 2019 04:21

I think The Stone took a very high risk by hiring Ron Wood as a Mick Taylor replacement becouse they run away from what was the typical rock band at that time wich was a lead guitar and a rhythm guitar. They chose two rhythm guitars instead.

A big risk that produced incredible albuns like Some Girls, Emotional Rescue and Tattoo You.

Ron Wood is not better than Taylor and Taylor is not better than Wood, they are diferents.

Bye
Fernando

Date: March 4, 2019 04:40

keithsman
What are you on about, aren't all my posts gems ? eye rolling smiley
You think it vile to say to Hairball that no matter how hard he tries to explain something, people are fixed in their opinions, you think Ronnie years are better than Taylor years and nothing is going to change that, good for you, i'm pleased you like all that stuff, that's your opinion, and i have a differing opinion, that's life, Taylor brings such pleasure to my ears, Ronnie has his moments, as as i say, he's been great recently ( on and off ) but i'm yet to hear Taylor have an off night with the Stones, even when he's winging it.

Nah son.
"Fanboys, it's all good to them, even shit smells good to them" is the vile portion of the post.

I never said I thought Ronnie years are better than Taylor years.
I'm also more than certain, hairball needs no help defending his views or attacking mine (aren't you the one always whining about people ganging up? lol)

All great years imo, and I wish I would have been able to see Taylor live more than the guest appearances. Talented guitarist who added a ton to the years he was with them. Unfortunately, his own demons led to his departure(s).

Love Ronnie, and for a long long time he has been one of the four Rolling Stones members I go to see. He brings as much musically and personality wise as any member on stage, and like all of the current members, has become in a way for a lot of long time fans, like an old friend.

Goto Page: Previous12345678910Next
Current Page: 2 of 10

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1745
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home