Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: most disappointing stones show
Posted by: stickydion ()
Date: October 8, 2005 05:29

I have never been disappointed, except... Except Knebworth 1976.

As NY Times wrote recently, a "bad" stones concert is a decent concert. A "good" Stones concert is a stellar concert...

Posted by: 2000 LIGHT ()
Date: October 8, 2005 05:44

philadelphia 78
Paris 04/06/76
the first of the 4 parisian show

Date: October 8, 2005 05:48

by the way i completely agree with rockR

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: October 8, 2005 05:53

Hartford last August was a bit disappointing. Nothing particularly wrong with the show but I just wasn't into it. SMU was such a @#$%& pedestrian opener...I almost yawned, and they never really recovered.

Oh well...the magic just wasn't there that time. The other 7 times were all mindblowing.

Posted by: graveyard watch ()
Date: October 8, 2005 07:53

well, for clarificational purpose tat2...i saw them twice in 72' and they were excellent. i heard nearly all the boots and ya'ya's so i knew they could be spotty but i was expecting a lot better in cleveland 75..they were overall not anywhere near what their capable of, though they had their moments. still a great experience, an event-like all their shows are. agreed that i'd rather see them on a bad night than just about everyone else on a good one, but i can tell the difference between, say, 'miss you' on the canadian benefit for the blind boot and the version i heard in pgh. in 89, which was stellar.

Posted by: drake ()
Date: October 8, 2005 08:40

I wasnt concieved until the early 80s, so I missed those years. Thankfully I've seen them 6 times from 97 to 05 and havent been disappointed once. The ONLY moment when I've been genuinely disappointed happend during my first show (St. Louis 97) when they did Waiting on a Friend. A webvote?! Great idea! I'll spend a week infront of my computer every day getting every person I know to vote for Star Star or Respectable or Shes a Rainbow or ANY SONG EXCEPT THAT PIECE OF SHIT. I was incredibly optimistic walking into the dome that night knowing that the last time I looked at the tally Star Star was in the lead by miles. So that was a real letdown. That and not hearing Little Queenie. Thankfully they made up for it by performing a fantastic version of the Last Time which sent chills down my spine. I knew it would be good but had no clue just how amazing it would be. I havent heard a boot to compare with that version ever.

BTW, from the recordings Ive heard 75 seems to be a dud tour all around. The sound (house mix), the performance, the precussion, billy preston, jagger's vocals, it all seems pretty horrible on everything except for LA Friday 75. Thats the only recording I can stand. Love You Live doesnt really do it for me. For the longest time I couldnt figure out what it was, but I kept hearing vocals floating around on that disc that werent actually there. Star Star standing out quite a bit... Mick real vocals in the background with overdubs blaring ontop of them. Yeah I could care less about 75.

Handsome Girls has me convinced that the weave enjoyed its finest hours during the 78 tour.

Posted by: hoodooyouvoodoo ()
Date: October 8, 2005 09:55

the astoria was way too loud. Charlie has said they lose the club feel by playing too loud in theatres and although of course Im one of the lucky ones to have been there...charlie has a point.

Posted by: BornOnTheBayou ()
Date: October 8, 2005 10:20

Wouldn't really call it "disappointing", just my least favorite stones show... probably the No Security tour... it had sort of an "afterthought" quality to it.

"It's just that demon life has got me in it's sway..."

Posted by: redrum ()
Date: October 8, 2005 16:10

Most Dissapionting Stones Show? That's easy!!

Altamont Speedyway, Livermore, California, 6 Dec 1969

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: October 8, 2005 18:16

Hey 2000 LIGHT, I cant believe the first Paris 76 shows was disappointing! I love the audience tapes of this show. I think its really hot! Did you have bad seats or something?

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: October 10, 2005 00:07

twickenham 2003,I never got into it.

Date: October 10, 2005 01:24

I didnot have bad seat that night at all.
mick look really tired and didnt sound that good.

but remimber we were in 1976.no internet, not easy to get vynil boots .
all we had were the clips from 74 and so on.
the bruxelle 73 show on vinyl and leed 71.
so when they were playing songs such as aint too proud to beg ,hot stuff,
even midnight rambler they sound terrible.

Ronnie was the new one.he was very low in the mixing.
but he was not mick taylor.and in june 76 we didnt get used to it yet.
and it seems than in 2005 some people still didnot.

highlight was you gotta move and happy for me.

and for the newcomers,For some of them it was they firt show and already
at that time quite a few of them were going thinking it's their last tour.
most of them recognized only few songs and were very disapointed by the
way they played angie.the same way as we see critics for sway 2005 .

but maybe too many expectations.their first time in france in 6 years;

Ok sweety, next time granny will tell you about paris 1970 palais des sports.
but it s time to sleep.
good night

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: October 10, 2005 01:28

Thanks for the story!

Posted by: georgeV ()
Date: October 10, 2005 02:00

1st Anaheim show in 1978. They made us wait 3 hours in the hot sun following the last opening act and then really sucked. I think they were drunk and were fixing guitar strings betweem songs and the like. Jagger was drinking Heineken on stage.

The LA Times had a picture and the headline was:

SAD DAY FOR ROCK: Stones turn to Dust.

The following day, same place and time was a totally different show and they rocked. This was the shoe throwing show.

Posted by: jhat111 ()
Date: October 10, 2005 02:17

my most recent and 30th show....Columbus,OH,,,this tour...ronnie wood should've just phoned it in...I can handle keith flubbing an intro sometimes,,but ronnie was consistantly off on his leads...i think he's definitely lost something...as much and as long as i've waited for Sway to be played...ronnie kind of overshadowed the show with his playing..charlie and mick were dead on all evening for me and keith's playing was what i expected....i didn't get my 350's worth even though the seats were good

Posted by: Dan ()
Date: October 10, 2005 06:20

San Jose 4/20/99 and 2/4/03 both seemed really rushed.

Posted by: RoddyD ()
Date: October 10, 2005 11:23

Perth Australia during either the Bridges or the Licks tour....OH WAIT....there was no show in Perth when they last hit Australia, or the tour before!!! Now, THAT'S a disappointment! It MUST be a real bummer to only get them every few years or so, not decades or so apart like we have to suffer....

Rod
Perth
Australia

Posted by: Star ()
Date: October 10, 2005 12:00

Well, who said Bercy 2003 was not good? I thought it was a fantastic show! You must have ben at a different concert to me pal.

"Till the next time..."

Posted by: straycatuk ()
Date: October 10, 2005 13:35

Gazza wrote;

Wembley 99 the last night.

Listening to boots,I tend to agree with you,but I was there in the golden circle a couple of rows back, closer than I'd ever been and the night was awesome for me.
Keith was in the pit, right in front of us during Brown Sugar

Like I said earlier,the seat /position makes all the difference .

sc uk

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: October 10, 2005 17:10

maybe it was just me who was knackered, mate...it was my 5th show in 8 days travelling throughout the country and doing a lot of partying in the process!

No doubt had I been down close like that I'd have enjoyed it more,however

The seat/position can indeed make all the difference, although at Anaheim 3 years ago I was so far away from the stage I was almost in Mexico - and it was still one of the best ever

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: October 10, 2005 17:16

Well yeah Roddy the Bridges tour was a bummer for us all down here!!

ROCKMAN

Posted by: virgil ()
Date: October 10, 2005 18:44

Pecman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Virgil,
>
> Didn't they have some dude parachute into the
> stadium that day while they were taking the
> stage?
>
> PECMAN

Pecman,

There was at least one Parachute guy but I cannot remember if he landed in the Stadium itself or in the parking lot. I do remember, Some idiots thought it was the Stones making thier entrance.

Posted by: Harm ()
Date: October 10, 2005 21:52

The concert at the New Wembley. The concert was great but the fact that they didn't open....

Posted by: tat2you ()
Date: October 10, 2005 21:52

no such thing!!!! for real fans!!!!

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: October 10, 2005 22:28

My two most dissappointing were the two shows in Atlanta at The Fox Theatre as I didn't have a ticket to either. All the others have been great, some better than others - but again, all great!

Always heard Philly 78 was a really bad show.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-10-10 22:29 by Elmo Lewis.

Date: October 10, 2005 22:55

tat2you Wrote:
> no such thing!!!! for real fans!!!!

balls

if a band performs badly, anyone is entitled to feel underwhelmed. Even 'real fans' have ears - and expectations

Date: October 10, 2005 22:57

Harm Wrote:
> The concert at the New Wembley. The concert was
> great but the fact that they didn't open....

LOL..true

the fact that they looked and played different and sang "livin on a prayer", "always" and over 20 more similarly awful songs didnt help either!

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1879
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home