Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Brian Jones born 77 years ago today
Posted by: runaway ()
Date: March 1, 2019 10:16

Rockman

Brian Jones ---- oil on canvas John Klinkenberg

Rockman, thanks for posting my BJ Arrworks

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: March 1, 2019 12:04

video: [youtu.be]

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: March 1, 2019 12:11

Rockman, thanks for posting my BJ Artworks....

Pleasure John …. the one above ^^^^ is my fave …. nice work ….

ROCKMAN

Posted by: runaway ()
Date: March 1, 2019 12:25

Rockman
Rockman, thanks for posting my BJ Artworks....

Pleasure John …. the one above ^^^^ is my fave …. nice work ….

Rockman - Thanks and nice to hear

Re: 77 years ago ....
Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: March 1, 2019 13:57

Deltics

How come "Hopkin" is missing here? Apparently Brian in his mind-conscious days didn't like that name, but for sure couldn't send, or even write, postcards then cool smiley
Nevertheless, an amazing collectors item! Thanks for showing!

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: March 2, 2019 03:00

Although he faded quickly, there's never been a musician like Brian. His playing, on any instrument, was quite ethereal. Sure there were better slide players, but none could approach his emotionalism. The dark eeriness of the band is rooted in his playing, the hypnotic feel. If the Stones had split in '68, and all we had were the Jones era Stones, it would still be an amazing legacy.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-03-02 20:59 by 24FPS.

Date: March 3, 2019 14:28

Carnaby

You're quite somebody, Carnaby!
It's funny, but somehow photos like this unique one (1957-58???), triggers curiosity ... who is that other guy?confused smiley

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: March 3, 2019 14:37

A cousin apparently.

Posted by: paulspendel ()
Date: March 3, 2019 20:30

He is the son of Brian’s mom’s sister Betty. He turned out a great photographer himself. He published his family photos on the internet, some of Brian and his family. Fans started to approach him in an abusive manner and he disappeared.

Posted by: black n blue ()
Date: March 3, 2019 21:49

A lot of respect for him. Yes he gave playing guitar. But he had a lot of influence on them.

Date: March 5, 2019 12:22

Thanks HM, Paulspendel an black n blue! Together with Carnaby you really got me puzzled.
Just for the discussion:
I don't think this person could be a son of Brian's aunt Bettie. Brian's mother Louisa was born in 1918 and gave birth to Brian in 1942. Brian's aunt Betty was born in 1924 (celebrating her 90st birthday in 2014 with Brian's sister). The guy on Carnaby's photo clearly looks older than Brian, which would mean that Bettie would have given birth to him at the age of 15, 16 or 17. Thechnically off course possible, but very unlikely in oldfashioned Cheltenham. Then remains the question who was aunt Bettie's man/husband?
I know Brian himself was a very young and active "rooster", but he was a rare "case" in Cheltenham.
smileys with beer

Posted by: HEILOOBAAS ()
Date: April 17, 2019 20:10

And he will never let us forget it!

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: April 17, 2019 20:23

The Original Elmo Lewis

Date: April 18, 2019 15:34

I "ran into" a site Beatles.ru with a subsite named Brian Jones' Lonely Hearts Club, which contains quite some obscure Brian related photos.

Date: April 20, 2019 23:03

I used to play my guitar as a kid
wishing that I could be like him
But today I changed my mind
I decided that I don't want to die
But it was a normal day for Brian
Rock and Roll's that way
It was a normal day for Brian
A man who died every day

Pete-Townshend.

Posted by: stanlove ()
Date: April 20, 2019 23:45

His Majesty
Rai Tre 1967...

[www.dropbox.com]

"Who is the author of your songs?"

"No one of us in particular, and all of us at the same time. We usually sign Jagger and Richards but Brian is the one that knows music best and, in short, one cannot be distinguished by the other. We are all necessary." - Mick Jagger

You cherry picked the one statement that you like. There are also other quotes by Jagger saying that Jones could not write a song to save his life. All he said here is they all were necessary. You can say the same about Taylor and Woods or anyone else who might have joined the band.

Jones did a decent job of playing on Jagger/Richards songs and that is it. Most would agree that their glory period was after he left the band. he is overrated because people get overrated when they die young. Surprised we haven't seen the No Jones No Stones statement that people love to through around.

Posted by: bleedingman ()
Date: April 21, 2019 01:30

stanlove
His Majesty
Rai Tre 1967...

[www.dropbox.com]

"No one of us in particular, and all of us at the same time. We usually sign Jagger and Richards but Brian is the one that knows music best and, in short, one cannot be distinguished by the other. We are all necessary." - Mick Jagger

You cherry picked the one statement that you like. There are also other quotes by Jagger saying that Jones could not write a song to save his life. All he said here is they all were necessary. You can say the same about Taylor and Woods or anyone else who might have joined the band.

Jones did a decent job of playing on Jagger/Richards songs and that is it. Most would agree that their glory period was after he left the band. he is overrated because people get overrated when they die young. Surprised we haven't seen the No Jones No Stones statement that people love to through around.

Mick might have been referring to the way Brian fleshed out their songs. Recorder on Ruby Tuesday, marimbas on Under My Thumb and Out of Time, Sitar on Paint It Black, Dulcimer on Lady Jane, etc., etc. The same could be said about Bill and Charlie. Not sure how "over" your "overrated" opinion about Brian is but he was very gifted.

Posted by: grzegorz67 ()
Date: April 21, 2019 01:55

If the Stones hadn’t had their purple patch of producing a huge volume of recorded work, hit single sfter hit single and relentless touring in the 1963-67 period which Brian’s musicianship was a huge part of, it is very uncertain that their later successes would have followed.

His contributions were a huge part of what propelled them to Worldwide fame in the 1st place, to say nothing of him getting the band together in the 1st place and naming them.

Yes he was a liability by the time he was fired but that takes nothing away from his place in their history.

Posted by: stanlove ()
Date: April 21, 2019 05:35

bleedingman
stanlove
His Majesty
Rai Tre 1967...

[www.dropbox.com]

Mick might have been referring to the way Brian fleshed out their songs. Recorder on Ruby Tuesday, marimbas on Under My Thumb and Out of Time, Sitar on Paint It Black, Dulcimer on Lady Jane, etc., etc. The same could be said about Bill and Charlie. Not sure how "over" your "overrated" opinion about Brian is but he was very gifted.

Did the Recorder on Ruby Tuesday, the marimbas on under My Thumb, or the Sitar on Paint if Black actually improve the songs? I am not sure of that at all. We are used to them but the songs would have been fine without them

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: April 21, 2019 06:21

georgie48
Carnaby

You're quite somebody, Carnaby!
It's funny, but somehow photos like this unique one (1957-58???), triggers curiosity ... who is that other guy?confused smiley

Obviously, that is Mick Jagger. Duh.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-04-21 07:36 by Koen.

Date: April 21, 2019 15:15

stanlove
bleedingman
stanlove
His Majesty
Rai Tre 1967...

[www.dropbox.com]

Did the Recorder on Ruby Tuesday, the marimbas on under My Thumb, or the Sitar on Paint if Black actually improve the songs? I am not sure of that at all. We are used to them but the songs would have been fine without them

You appear to know little about the history of the Rolling Stones...
Ruby Tuesday: it was Keith who heard Brian play a tune on his recorder and that inspired him to "write" the song. In other words, if Brian would not have experimented on his recorder at the time, Ruby Tuesday would not have seen the light. Mick's quote was not "just a remark". They needed eachother to reach the unique level they did. Brian was "the teacher" to start with and Mick and Keith were the eager and (as turned out) talented "students".
So those who made the quote "no Stones without Jones" hit the bull's eye.
smileys with beer

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: April 21, 2019 15:54

Anytime there is a pic posted (other than selfies) shouldn't the source and dateline be posted? Sometimes we like to perform more research.

Rockman does a great job of citing sources, which leads to inquiry and validity to his posts.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-04-21 15:58 by Chris Fountain.

Date: April 21, 2019 16:30

His Majesty

I feel that these instruments added a lot of musical colour to the songs, the right instruments on the right place. Without them they would have been less colourful, but what never has been there cannot be missed of course.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-04-21 16:37 by TheflyingDutchman.

Date: April 21, 2019 23:25

^ You have @#$%& up the quoting there.

stanlove
His Majesty
Rai Tre 1967...

[www.dropbox.com]

You cherry picked the one statement that you like.

eye rolling smiley

That's what one tends to do when celebrating someone in a birthday thread.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-04-21 23:26 by His Majesty.

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: April 22, 2019 03:59

his contribution to music in the 60's and beyond was so beautiful.
i wish i didn't know so much about the persona life sometimes.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-04-22 04:12 by hopkins.

Date: April 22, 2019 22:41

hopkins
his contribution to music in the 60's and beyond was so beautiful.
i wish i didn't know so much about the persona life sometimes.

Life is constantly messy and so are humans... a case can be made that Brian died for his sins.

Sad that his apparently saintly former band mates and too many so called Rolling Stones fans seek to kill him over and over again and diminish his legacy.

Interesting that these same people promote, play with and celebrate many a person that was as bad, worse or more extreme than Brian.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2019-04-23 00:18 by His Majesty.

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: April 22, 2019 22:57

'More extreme than Brian'.
Anyone(s) in mind?

Date: April 23, 2019 00:35

jlowe
Anyone(s) in mind?

The Killer.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: April 23, 2019 21:58

jlowe
Anyone(s) in mind?

Keith

"No Anchovies, Please"

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: April 23, 2019 22:44

I contend that the sartorial image Brian cultivated for seven years was appropriated by Keith and Mick after Brian's death. And Brian's sense of recklessness and drug voraciousness was taken over by Keith, with Brian's former playmate Anita. Unfortunately no one, except for Bill occasionally, were able to fulfill the sensitivity as a musician that was Brian's alone.

Brian will be forever a part of the concrete base of the Rolling Stones. His musical bent towards the blues showed up in Blue and Lonesome. Most of the magic in the Stones sound comes from Brian. (And has lain mostly dormant since).

In a hundred years people will mostly refer to the original five of Mick, Keith, Bill, Charlie and Brian, when noting the band. That may be unfair to Mick Taylor, but that's more owed to Mick T's reticent personality. And poor Ron Wood will always be seen as the 'new boy', and having little to do with the band's golden years.

Would Brian, if alive, still be the bi-polar jerk he was when he alienated everyone in the band? Some people change, some don't. His legend never will.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1768
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home