Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

MY ROLLING STONES BACKSTORY
Posted by: JordyLicks96 ()
Date: February 27, 2019 05:39

Just thought I'd make a post about my deepest appreciation for this band and the history behind why they mean so much to me. My dad has been a HUGE Stones fan since he first heard Satisfaction on the radio in 1965. He really wanted HOT ROCKS for Christmas in 1976. His parents got him, by mistake, MORE HOT ROCKS. He was so dissapointed but when he played the record, he was blown away by all of their deep cuts and has loved them to death ever since. He bought SOME GIRLS the day it came out and always tells me how great the Summer of '78 was because of that album. He even tried getting tickets to see them at the Capitol Theater in Passaic, NJ during the '78 Tour but it was too hard to get tickets. He again tried seeing them in Dallas in '81 when he was in the Air Force, but again wasn't able to go. His dream of seeing them finally came true on October 10th, 1989 when he got to see them at Shea Stadium. He also got to see them on August 14th, 1994 and October 16th, 1997 at Giants Stadium. For the show in '94, my dad got tickets from a scalper for 6th row center in front of the stage. He was REALLY sick that day and my mom thought he shouldn't go but my dad wouldn't EVER miss being so close to the Stones, so my parents went anyway. That's where I come in.

By the time I was 6 years old, my dad was always playing music when we were in the car going somewhere. I loved listening to a lot of older groups but the Stones' music got through to me more than any other band I listened to. The first CD my dad got me from the Stones was FLOWERS and I still have that same CD today. I loved it. I remember FORTY LICKS coming out and hearing Don't Stop all the time in the car. The first Stones album I got brand new for myself with my dad was the live album, LIVE LICKS in 2004. I knew hearing that live album that I would one day get to see them live, in person, with my very own eyes. My dad and I would also go Stones bootleg shopping in the Village in NYC, which was always so much fun for me. When A BIGGER BANG came out in September 2005, I remember going to Tower Records with my dad, buying the CD and blasting it the car while I held the album, trying to make out all of the songs on the back. My dream of seeing them came true on September 27th, 2006, 17 years younger than when my dad first saw them in concert for the first time. 10 year old me was excited beyond words. My dad said there was nothing that made him smile more than seeing my face light up as they came out on stage playing It's Only Rock 'n Roll. It was one of the greatest nights of my life. The Stones became a huge part of my life as I got older. I saw SHINE A LIGHT and LADIES IN GENTLEMEN in theaters, bought the EXILE and SOME GIRLS reissues as I dreamed of seeing them live again.

Sadly, I missed out on seeing them during the 50 & Counting tour but got to watch the Paper-View show live. When they announced the Zip Code Tour, I was disappointed they weren't playing in NYC area. My dad and I decided to take a road trip to Pittsburgh and I got to see them again on June 20th, 2015 at Heinz Field. The 19 year old me was just as excited as the 10 year old me was when they came out onstage playing Jumpin' Jack Flash. The bond I have with my dad over the Stones is something I'd never trade for anything else. We were both in our glory when we heard BLUE & LONESOME for the first time. Plus, the day after the album came out, we went to NYC to see Exhibitionism. Seeing their guitars, clothing, written lyrics was like an out of body experience. The two of us stood in front of Mick's 1969 tour outfit. I was in complete awe. I thought about the film GIMME SHELTER at that moment. Mick Jagger wore that outfit at some of the most famous concerts in music history at Madison Square Garden and Altamont in front of hundreds of thousands of people and in that moment, we were the only two standing right in front of it. It gave me the chills. We could have stayed at Exhibitionism all night. Hell, I would have stayed all week looking at the artifacts.

Now at present day, I'm almost 23 years old, still listening to the Stones just about every day, posting Stones outtakes on YouTube, insanely excited for a new album of originals. I'll be seeing the Stones on June 13th at Metlife Stadium but sadly my dad won't be able to accompany this time but I know he'll be right next to me in spirit. I still can't put my finger on why I love the Stones' music so much. I think it's because they've written amazing, catchy songs over the past 50 (almost 60) years. They're albums are so much fun to listen to, a lot of them utter masterpieces. I think it's also the bond I share with my dad over the Stones. He's given me the greatest gift of loving the greatest rock 'n roll band in the world. I'm so glad we're able to love them together. I'd love to hear all of your Stones backstories too. We all share a bond here, no matter how far away we are from one another in this huge world, our love for this band makes it seem like we're always together, sharing news, stories, pictures and music from the boys, Mick Jagger, Keith Richards, Ron Wood, Charlie Watts, Bill Wyman, Brian Jones and Mick Taylor.......THE ROLLING STONES

Re: MY ROLLING STONES BACKSTORY
Posted by: Toru A ()
Date: February 27, 2019 09:42

Enjoyed your story.
I envy your father who has a son like you.
My son is addicted to Pokemon GO.sad smiley

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: February 27, 2019 09:57

Looking forward to your June 13 report....

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: February 27, 2019 11:27

JordyLicks96
My dream of seeing them came true on September 27th, 2006, 17 years younger than when my dad first saw them in concert for the first time. 10 year old me was excited beyond words.

If Mick J. reads your post he might shed a virtual tear as your message validates the business strategy he set years ago : making the Stones a brand aimed toward young people and making sure every live [show] brings 30-50% of first-timers.

And... welcome to the IORR family Jordy! It's a bit dysfunctional but you'll find lotsa love here.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-02-27 16:06 by dcba.

Posted by: peoplewitheyes ()
Date: February 27, 2019 11:53

3am here in Mexico and I'm about to start work, just reading your lovely post with my coffee made for a great start to the day - thank you.

I have been playing my part, and my young children (9,9 and 6) also love the Stones, and make no boundaries between the eras. Yesterday I heard Satisfaction blaring out of their speaker followed by Doom N Gloom.

We all went to see the Stones at Twickenham last year, and all had a blast!

Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: February 27, 2019 13:05

ROCK ON JordyLicks96 !
thumbs upcool smileythumbs up

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: February 27, 2019 13:47

Jordy , it is fantastic that the rolling stone's music moves you; it is a gift. Welcome to the club, son.
Rockandroll,
Mops

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: February 27, 2019 14:34

Awesome post, JordyLicks96! I was also impressed by your analytical and constructive post in a new album thread. It could be that missing the bloody eighties you never got involved in the stupid Mick vs. Keith war that seems to still keep people occupied - probably since after the decades there is nothing really left to discuss than looking for someone to blame for all the 'disappointments' fans have gone through, and that the band is not like it was in, say, 1965, 1972 or 1981. Thankfully people have lost interested in the Taylor vs. Wood debate, which was a constant theme here for years.

We truely need spirit like yours here!thumbs up

At your age I'd been a Rolling Stones fan for about ten years but never had a chance seeing them live. That dream came true a few years later, in 1995, no doubt the biggest concert experience in my life. My father - bless his heart - loathed (and still does) the Stones and rock music in general. His most supportive comment was that of, while I was listening to my brandnew and first Rolling Stones album, TATTOO YOU and "Worried About You" started to come out of the speakers - 'I didn't know that the Stones have also a female singer'. Still doesn't know was he serious or just making fun...

- Doxa

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: February 27, 2019 14:36

Very nice story !

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: February 27, 2019 15:52

thumbs up

Posted by: angee ()
Date: February 27, 2019 16:06

Jordy, I love the bonding between you and your dad over the band.
Thank you for telling us your story. Your dad will be at the show with you in spirit, no doubt.

In my family, at least my brother shares the love with me.

~"Love is Strong"~

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-02-27 16:07 by angee.

Date: February 27, 2019 16:23

Powerful story that made me smile. As for me, I first saw the Stones in 1975 after discovering them in 1968 when I was 15. Ever since, my mother has seen them as hoodlums, even now. I love that - still a bit of childlike rebellion involved. :-)

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: February 27, 2019 16:42

thanks for sharing your story

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: February 27, 2019 21:49

i became a stones fan in 1987 at 19 years old, none of my friends got into them and my dad was never into them despite being 21 when they formed, so i felt on my own regarding my interest in them, and thought they had finished long before 1987 so whats happened in the 31 years since has been amazing, the songs they have made, the many tours, concerts, outtakes, youtube videos watched, the gigs ive been to, the people ive met and the opinions on this site and the fact the band are still ongoing had made these years much better than if they had quit before i discovered them, wont be seeing them this year due to ongoing hernia problems but hopefully next year they come back to europe and can catch them again.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: February 27, 2019 21:51

Great story, Jordy! Thanks for sharing your passion with us. smileys with beer

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: February 27, 2019 22:00

Great story, Jordi!
Welcome to all the madness...drinking smiley

Date: February 27, 2019 22:59

Thank you everybody! Loved reading all of your Stones stories too! So glad to be apart of this Stones community! If you haven't checked out my YouTube channel yet, I'm posting up outtakes and I'm also doing my own Stones studio album ranking videos, I posted up the first one today!! Thanks again everyone!! smileys with beer

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: February 28, 2019 01:34

Great story Jordy I know what you feel about the Stones.............I had the same feeling when I discovered them back in '67 and saw them live the first in '73 19 years old.....................

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: February 28, 2019 09:19

Hi Jordy,
I'm sure, with all the responses so far, you already feel you are part now of a family that has embrased a fantastic band for as long as almost six decades. I could tell you my story of "how I discovered The Rolling Stones" 55 years ago as 15 years young kid, but I think, with your passion you already can imagine the impact it had on me.
So you have to trust the important advice this "granddad" is giving you now to protect your passion for the Rolling Stones (and some oldies among us know where I'm talking about): you need to take off the logo from your YouTube site !
Replace it by a cartoon or anything creative made by yourself. The logos have a business status and can't be just used by anybody without permission.
I hate the idea to see you get disappointed by surprise from a different angle.
Meanwhile, put on a Stones record and know that's where the real passion lies.
Enjoy the June 13 concert!

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: February 28, 2019 09:58

It's quite amusing that younger fans often get into the Stones initially because the parents like them ....

...when the parents probably first got into the Stones partly because their parents didn't like them

[...and thought them "a bunch of scruffy layabouts making a awful racket !" ] grinning smiley

Date: February 28, 2019 17:24

georgie48
Hi Jordy,
I'm sure, with all the responses so far, you already feel you are part now of a family that has embrased a fantastic band for as long as almost six decades. I could tell you my story of "how I discovered The Rolling Stones" 55 years ago as 15 years young kid, but I think, with your passion you already can imagine the impact it had on me.
So you have to trust the important advice this "granddad" is giving you now to protect your passion for the Rolling Stones (and some oldies among us know where I'm talking about): you need to take off the logo from your YouTube site !
Replace it by a cartoon or anything creative made by yourself. The logos have a business status and can't be just used by anybody without permission.
I hate the idea to see you get disappointed by surprise from a different angle.
Meanwhile, put on a Stones record and know that's where the real passion lies.
Enjoy the June 13 concert!

Loved your story georgie!! I'm not sure exactly about the logo. I've seen other YouTube pages use the logo but I'll change it just incase smiling smiley

Posted by: Quique-stone ()
Date: February 28, 2019 18:59

Wonderful story Jordy!
Welcome to IORR and enjoy the June 13 concert!
Cheers!

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: February 28, 2019 19:31

My dad had LET IT BLEED, GET YER YA-YA'S OUT!, HOT ROCKS and MORE HOT ROCKS.

I used to listen to 2000 Light Years From Home on headphones while studying the inside of MORE HOT ROCKS thinking 'This must be what it's like to be stoned'. I was 10? Something like that.

TATTOO YOU was the first record I ever bought with my own money from mowing lawns (the second was FOR THOSE ABOUT TO ROCK). The next Stones record I bought was SUCKING IN THE SEVENTIES. That was my introduction to Shattered and Beast Of Burden (other than the radio). I loved everything else on it, too.

I hear Heartbreaker on the radio and am floored. The horns killed me. I saw Undercover Of The Night on MTV and heard the doo doo doo doo's in it and thought, well duh, both of those songs must be on that album, so I bought UNDERCOVER. I listened to U and never heard Heartbreaker. I thought maybe I had missed it so I listened to U several times and really dug the album.

I couldn't figure it out. I finally asked an older friend, What is that song that goes doo doo doo doo doo doo doo doo doo? He laughed and said It's the Stones, man! Heartbreaker!

He didn't know what album it was on. I figured it out - it was on 2 albums! I saw MADE IN THE SHADE but I figured out it was a hits album so I held off on getting it. I got GOATS HEAD SOUP for Christmas. So I guess that's partially why I have such love for U and GHS and TY and SITS and BLACK AND BLUE.

Not long after that my older friend was hanging out with his friend and they were playing EMOTIONAL RESCUE and LOVE YOU LIVE really loud. So of course, those were the next two albums I got. REWIND capped it off. I went backwards from there and got everything.

When SHE'S THE BOSS and DIRTY WORK came out I was horrified with the Michael Jackson aspects of them. Because of Harlem Shuffle and the remix EP, I felt scammed when I bought DW. I went back to listening to U a lot more.

A friend got a CD player, the first CD I bought was REWIND. When we played it I heard something in Start Me Up I'd never heard before - a cowbell. That started the obsession with CDs.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: February 28, 2019 19:52

Spud
It's quite amusing that younger fans often get into the Stones initially because the parents like them ....

...when the parents probably first got into the Stones partly because their parents didn't like them

That's normal and logical as it's part of the relentless campaign of "gentrification" of the band's image led by Jagger since 1989.

A campaign negated by media guerilla counter-attacks from Keef ("yeah I snorted my Dad's ashes! So what!?" "Rappers? They should machine-gun each others!") grinning smiley

Posted by: switchblade1975 ()
Date: February 28, 2019 23:11

good to have you here Jordy,I like your post,mine is at the age of 10 my older Sister gave me my first Rolling Stones LP,it was ,live if you want it,I was hooked from then on,that was in 1968,I first saw the Stones in 1975 in Boston,seen almost every tour from then on,and over the pond a few times to see them,in 1994 I took all of nieces to see them,it is a right of passage in our Family.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2187
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home