Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Flashpoint Outtakes
Posted by: CJFP ()
Date: February 26, 2019 20:46

Hey!
I love Highwire and Sex Drive from Flashpoint but I was wondering if there were any studio songs that were not included on the album. If you know anything, do tell!

Re: Flashpoint Outtakes
Posted by: marquess ()
Date: February 26, 2019 20:51

I like these songs a lot!

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: February 26, 2019 21:04

"Highwire" it's a great song!
It would have been perfect on Steel Wheels, as second single after Mixed Emotions.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: February 26, 2019 21:10

Just those two.

Date: February 26, 2019 21:14

Live tracks that didn't make the album:

2000 Light Years From Home
I Just Want To Make Love To You
Play With Fire
Undercover Of The Night
Harlem Shuffle
Tumbling Dice
Street Fighting Man

As ii is the album is a double, although the actual vinyl release is not. With those left off tracks, it could've been a triple live album.

Posted by: Sighunt ()
Date: February 26, 2019 22:38

GasLightStreet

Play With Fire
Undercover Of The Night
Harlem Shuffle
Tumbling Dice
Street Fighting Man

As ii is the album is a double, although the actual vinyl release is not. With those left off tracks, it could've been a triple live album.

Once again, they missed the mark by not releasing a complete concert. IMHO, those live versions of 2000 Light Years, Harlem Shuffle and Undercover should have been included on Flashpoint.

Posted by: ironbelly ()
Date: February 26, 2019 22:43

GasLightStreet

Play With Fire
Undercover Of The Night
Harlem Shuffle
Tumbling Dice
Street Fighting Man

+ Gimme Shelter at [Food - CDORDER DJL 1]

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: February 26, 2019 22:44

flashpoint should have been filled out a bit and the songs left off should have been included, maybe the band didnt know at that point how it would be received so didnt take the risk, as since then they havent held back when releasing live stuff.

also highwire should have replaced mixed emotions as a single release, mixed emotions done nothing to promote the stones as a band who were decent, steel wheels had so much better on it, and i feel mixed emotions is the bands 2nd worse single, saint of me topping that list.

Posted by: JordyLicks96 ()
Date: February 26, 2019 22:47

Those were the only two songs recorded for Flashpoint.

7th - 18th January: London, Hit Factory Studios. Producers: The Glimmer Twins & Chris Kimsey. Sound engineer: Mark Stent. Incl.
- Highwire I (MJ/KR) -Bernard Fowler on backing vocals; Flashpoint-version
- Sex Drive I (MJ/KR) -The Kick Horns on brass, Tessa Niles and Katie Kissoon
on backing vocals; Flashpoint version

RW attended sessions only from 7th - 11th January

Posted by: JordyLicks96 ()
Date: February 26, 2019 22:52

Interestingly, Mick wrote the music for Highwire pre-STEEL WHEELS and wrote the lyrics in December 1990.

According to Jagger, the music for “High Wire” dates back to pre-Steel Wheels days: “It was one of those things that I played for people, but no one seemed to pick up on it.” The tune got a new lease on life when the Stones decided to record a brand-new studio track for the live album. “I didn’t know if it was going to come off,” Jagger admitted, “whether it was anything that anyone would want to hear. But it really just sounds like the Rolling Stones.”

- Rolling Stone, March 1991

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: February 26, 2019 23:14

Sighunt
GasLightStreet

Play With Fire
Undercover Of The Night
Harlem Shuffle
Tumbling Dice
Street Fighting Man

Once again, they missed the mark by not releasing a complete concert. IMHO, those live versions of 2000 Light Years, Harlem Shuffle and Undercover should have been included on Flashpoint.

no need to do so since we have the Atlantic City '89 bootleg

Posted by: boogaloojef ()
Date: February 27, 2019 04:35

GasLightStreet

Play With Fire
Undercover Of The Night
Harlem Shuffle
Tumbling Dice
Street Fighting Man

This live track was left off as well but was not issued until later.

"Gimme Shelter" – 4:47 (26 November 1989; Death Valley Stadium; Clemson, South Carolina) – Charity single released in 1993

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-02-27 04:37 by boogaloojef.

Posted by: timbernardis ()
Date: February 27, 2019 04:54

u know, most of those missing live tracks are to be found on 2 or 3 EP CDs. I'd have to look up the titles. If u put those live tracks together with those on Flashpoint, pretty sure you'd have a complete show.

plexi

Posted by: GJV ()
Date: February 27, 2019 13:37

You're still missing Bitch, Honky Tonk women, Happy and It's only rock'n'roll plus songs like Angie, One hit, Dead flowers, Almost hear you sigh and Before they make me run which were not performed all the time.

Posted by: peoplewitheyes ()
Date: February 27, 2019 14:29

I have that charity single with GS on it, on cassette I think.

I remember getting in when it came out, and the 15 year old me thinking how anaemic GS sounded... (I think it was the first live version I had ever heard of that favourite track).

Date: February 27, 2019 16:31

I've got a Flashpoint version that has a Collectibles disc included. That one features Cook Cook Blues, Harlem Shuffle 6, Mixed Emotions 4, etc. The album is beautifully presented and doesn't look like a knock-off. I found it in a California second hand record shop but have never seen it anywhere else.

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: February 27, 2019 16:35

Richard from Canada
I've got a Flashpoint version that has a Collectibles disc included. That one features Cook Cook Blues, Harlem Shuffle 6, Mixed Emotions 4, etc. The album is beautifully presented and doesn't look like a knock-off. I found it in a California second hand record shop but have never seen it anywhere else.

I saw it when it was released.it was too expensive n did not buy it. It was at debijenkorf inholland

Posted by: deardoctor ()
Date: February 27, 2019 18:28

GJV
You're still missing Bitch, Honky Tonk women, Happy and It's only rock'n'roll plus songs like Angie, One hit, Dead flowers, Almost hear you sigh and Before they make me run which were not performed all the time.

Midnight rambler, Terrifying, Blinded by love...

Date: February 27, 2019 18:29

Richard from Canada

FLASHPOINT + COLLECTIBLES was released by Columbia Records (Sony), just like FLASHPOINT was, in the US only, according to [www.discogs.com], and never reissued.

Date: February 27, 2019 18:32

GasLightStreet
Richard from Canada

FLASHPOINT + COLLECTIBLES was released by Columbia Records (Sony), just like FLASHPOINT was, in the US only, according to [www.discogs.com], and never reissued.

This is not true, Flashpoint and Collectibles was sold at many shops in Holland at the time.
wish i had bought it.
Jeroen

Date: February 27, 2019 19:40

I also bought it in Holland at my local recordstore, it was not realy very limited at the time.

Date: February 27, 2019 19:42

deardoctor
GJV

Midnight rambler, Terrifying, Blinded by love...

You're right, I forgot to mention Midnight Rambler, the other two were only played a couple of times so don't realy count for a complete set.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-02-27 19:44 by GJV.

Posted by: ironbelly ()
Date: February 27, 2019 19:44

Richard from Canada
Actually, Collectibles belongs not to Flashpoint but rather to earlier era, from Some Girls till Steel Wheels. That CD is a copy of a Collector's Edition - a bonus CD that was included in big pink box (see Collection 1971-1989 [www.discogs.com])
This box is little know on the other side of the Pond because it was European limited and numbered edition

Date: February 27, 2019 19:59

Collectibles was added to Flahpoint in Europe as a deluxe edition
I forgot the price about 100 dutch guilders so about 50 euros. It wad a lot of money. For me anyway at the time.
Like i said..i wish i had bought it.
Jeroen

Date: February 27, 2019 20:12

runrudolph
GasLightStreet
Richard from Canada

This is not true, Flashpoint and Collectibles was sold at many shops in Holland at the time.
wish i had bought it.
Jeroen

Was it sold as an import? discogs.com has it listed only as a US edition. JUMP BACK was available in the US in 1993... as an import. It's listed on discogs.com as wherever except the US.

Date: February 27, 2019 20:27

GasLightStreet
runrudolph
GasLightStreet
Richard from Canada

wish i had bought it.
Jeroen

Was it sold as an import? discogs.com has it listed only as a US edition. JUMP BACK was available in the US in 1993... as an import. It's listed on discogs.com as wherever except the US.

I guess it was sold as an import. Cant remember. It was expensive.ciao

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: February 27, 2019 21:30

timbernardis
u know, most of those missing live tracks are to be found on 2 or 3 EP CDs. I'd have to look up the titles. If u put those live tracks together with those on Flashpoint, pretty sure you'd have a complete show.

plexi

...or simply get an officially released complete Tokyo Dome Show from February '90...

Date: February 27, 2019 22:53

GasLightStreet
runrudolph
GasLightStreet
Richard from Canada

wish i had bought it.
Jeroen

When I bought it in The Netherlands I remember that the guy in my local recordshop told me a very strange story, which I didn't took very serious at the time.
It's a long time ago so I don't remember it very well, but he told me that a lot of the Flashpoint and Collectibles were lost, because something happened with it: something about big spiders went into the package and they had to destroy a lot of this special release.
When he told me this story I didn't listen very well, I just wanted to pay and leave the shop, but I remember thinking: Why destroying, everything is sealed, so what can be the damage?
But maybe it was just a strong story so he could explain and justify the high price?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-02-28 00:08 by GJV.

Posted by: TKinOH ()
Date: February 28, 2019 04:54

A co-worker back in '91 had Flashpoint+Collectibles, the 2-disc Red & Black leather-look package, so naturally I had to get one...

I bought one myself, then later sent my Mom down to the mall record store and they went to the back room and grabbed another one for me! I believe I have one I used and one unopened... A nice release.

Date: February 28, 2019 05:54

GJV
GasLightStreet
runrudolph
GasLightStreet
Richard from Canada

wish i had bought it.
Jeroen

When I bought it in The Netherlands I remember that the guy in my local recordshop told me a very strange story, which I didn't took very serious at the time.
It's a long time ago so I don't remember it very well, but he told me that a lot of the Flashpoint and Collectibles were lost, because something happened with it: something about big spiders went into the package and they had to destroy a lot of this special release.
When he told me this story I didn't listen very well, I just wanted to pay and leave the shop, but I remember thinking: Why destroying, everything is sealed, so what can be the damage?
But maybe it was just a strong story so he could explain and justify the high price?

Complete bunk. But an interesting "story", maybe.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1621
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home