Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

R.I.P. Gordon Banks of Stoke City F.C.
Posted by: bv ()
Date: February 12, 2019 12:30

When I was a young guy at high school, listening to Sticky Fingers and watching English football, subscribing to the UK magazines SHOOT and GOAL, I did have two big heroes:

Charlie Watts
Gordon Banks

I haven't been able to follow Stoke City F.C. as close as the Stones over the years, but Gordon Banks was always my hero. It with sadness I hear he just passed away.

Greatest Ever Goalkeeper Save - Gordon Banks Saves from Pele

FROM THE FAMILY OF GORDON BANKS

It is with great sadness that we announce that Gordon passed away peacefully overnight.

We are devastated to lose him but we have so many happy memories and could not have been more proud of him.

We would ask that the privacy of the family is respected at this time.

Bjornulf

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2019-02-12 14:20 by bv.

Re: R.I.P. Gordon Banks of Stoke City F.C.
Posted by: MadMax ()
Date: February 12, 2019 12:37

RIP Gordon Banks

That save from Peles header… Now come on Potters, 3 Points agains Latics or else. Play for GB!

Posted by: laertisflash ()
Date: February 12, 2019 13:03

RIP Gordon.

Posted by: Phil Good ()
Date: February 12, 2019 13:20

RIP Gordan Banks.

I was 14 when I watched the 1966 final and I remember him well.
A great sportsman he was.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: February 12, 2019 14:26

Love and light Gordon, one of the greatest goal keepers!

Apologies for 1967.

Posted by: grzegorz67 ()
Date: February 12, 2019 14:34

His Majesty
Love and light Gordon, one of the greatest goal keepers!

Apologies for 1967.

I'm a Scot too. It speaks volumes for him that he was as admired and respected by his opponents as he was his own supporters. 1967 was great but he stopped a lot of certain goals in other games against us.

A real gent and a giant of the game. That save from Pele in 1970 ranks as one of the greatest ever.

RIP big man.

Date: February 12, 2019 14:42

grzegorz67

I'm a Scot too. It speaks volumes for him that he was as admired and respected by his opponents as he was his own supporters.

The whole squad from that era was majestic really and Banks was obviously a stand out player within it.

Posted by: Valeswood ()
Date: February 12, 2019 17:39

MadMax
RIP Gordon Banks

That save from Peles header…

If people do not know about this fantastic save from the 1970 World Cup, check it out here
[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: February 12, 2019 17:40

the save from peles header was brilliant but so was the entire move, from the pass, to the run and cross with the ball bobbling up off the surface, then the header which was powerful, then that save which was unexpected.

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: February 12, 2019 18:20

Gordon Banks was a goalkeeper with magic - Pele

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Posted by: grzegorz67 ()
Date: February 12, 2019 18:36

His Majesty
grzegorz67

I'm a Scot too. It speaks volumes for him that he was as admired and respected by his opponents as he was his own supporters.

The whole squad from that era was majestic really and Banks was obviously a stand out player within it.

It pains me to say it as a jealous Scot but yes, of course you're right. Bobby Moore, another great from that side who sadly only reached 51. He tackling was amazing in that very same game v Brazil as the miraculous save from Pele. Pele went to look for him to swap shirts at the end!

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: February 12, 2019 18:50

His save against Pelé became so legendary that it's always shown here on special TV shows before every World Cup. I saw that many times and I never tire of watching. Thanks to him and to some other goalkeepers, when I was invited to play football with my friends I always chose to be the goalkeeper, although not as efficient as he was, of course. RIP Gordon, you are a true legend.

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: February 12, 2019 19:22

just watched that move again leading up to the banks save, i dont think any modern day player could have made that pass and run and cross for the header by pele.

think it might be carlos alberto for the pass, not sure who crossed it, quality team that brazil 1970 team.

does anyone know

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: February 12, 2019 19:32

buttons67
just watched that move again leading up to the banks save, i dont think any modern day player could have made that pass and run and cross for the header by pele.

think it might be carlos alberto for the pass, not sure who crossed it, quality team that brazil 1970 team.

does anyone know

Jairzinho

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: February 12, 2019 23:50

Sad indeed. One of my childhood heroes too

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: February 13, 2019 00:21

That 1966 final is one of those events where you never forget where you were when you saw it, and Banks was a huge part of it. RIP indeed.

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: February 24, 2019 07:58

buttons67

I've watched it quite a few times and I don't really see what the fuss was all about. When the ball was passed out to Pele for the header, Banks saw it coming and was drifting over towards the post, Pele hits the header with a one hop and Banks dives over for the stop. Seems routine to me. If Pele had hit the header directly towards the top corner without the hop, then it would have been a monster save but that didn't happen. Banks was within a few feet from the post when he lounged over to knock it away. Looks more like good instincts to be in the right position.

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: February 24, 2019 08:32

RIP Gordon. I'll admit I don't know who he is but it sucks when you see your sports heroes pass away. Most of the NHL players I followed as a young kid growing up in the 70s are still alive thankfully.

Posted by: Captain Teague ()
Date: February 24, 2019 17:57

The Sicilian
buttons67

I've watched it quite a few times and I don't really see what the fuss was all about.

Sili, you clearly do not appreciate the power behind Pele's header. The ball was effectively behind GB but he still managed to keep it out. The power of the header resulted in the ball going over the crossbar, it was not GB pushing it upwards. In the YouTube clip above it was described as the greatest save in history. I'm not sure about that but it must be in the top 5 at least.

Date: February 24, 2019 18:54

Captain Teague
The Sicilian
buttons67

I've watched it quite a few times and I don't really see what the fuss was all about.

Sili, you clearly do not appreciate the power behind Pele's header. The ball was effectively behind GB but he still managed to keep it out. The power of the header resulted in the ball going over the crossbar, it was not GB pushing it upwards. In the YouTube clip above it was described as the greatest save in history. I'm not sure about that but it must be in the top 5 at least.

May be my memory puzzle me, because this is many years ago, but I think I have seen pictures wher Pele is celebrating that situation as a goal, because he was 100% sure it was a goal. He simply could not understand why and how Gordon Banks made that save. Even Pele still say this was a world class save. To conclude, don't use youtube to see the whole picture. Same lesson to be learned from those who sit at home and judge The Stones from youtube clips.

Bjornulf

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: February 24, 2019 21:06

bv
Captain Teague
The Sicilian
buttons67

May be my memory puzzle me, because this is many years ago, but I think I have seen pictures wher Pele is celebrating that situation as a goal, because he was 100% sure it was a goal. He simply could not understand why and how Gordon Banks made that save. Even Pele still say this was a world class save. To conclude, don't use youtube to see the whole picture. Same lesson to be learned from those who sit at home and judge The Stones from youtube clips.

"From the moment I headed it, I was sure it had gone in," said Pele, who would go on to lift the Trophy with Brazil at Mexico 1970. "After I headed the ball, I had already began to jump to celebrate the goal. Then I looked back and I couldn't believe it hadn't gone in. I have scored more than a thousand goals in my life and the thing people always talk to me about is the one I didn't score."

On this video Pelé can be seen celebrating for a few seconds until he realized that Banks had done that miraculous save: [www.fifa.com]

Date: February 25, 2019 04:22

Cristiano Radtke
bv
Captain Teague
The Sicilian
buttons67

"From the moment I headed it, I was sure it had gone in," said Pele, who would go on to lift the Trophy with Brazil at Mexico 1970. "After I headed the ball, I had already began to jump to celebrate the goal. Then I looked back and I couldn't believe it hadn't gone in. I have scored more than a thousand goals in my life and the thing people always talk to me about is the one I didn't score."

On this video Pelé can be seen celebrating for a few seconds until he realized that Banks had done that miraculous save: [www.fifa.com]

If you look at the picture above Pele looks like he is standing at the goal line, but in fact when he launched the header shot he was about 30 feet from the goal line and then backing up as he briefly raised his arms. If you watch the video from the FIFA source you can see Banks coming across the goal line and squaring up with Pele and almost stopping for a very brief second before lunging at the deflected header and knocking it over the crossbar, actually off the crossbar. It was a great save but IMO, more of a great play by Banks who knew exactly where the ball was headed.

It is true that different video angles can be deceiving but that's all we have to make that judgement, especially in 1970.

Date: February 25, 2019 08:40

This thread is in memory of the great goalie Gordon Banks. Some of us were lucky to live and see Gordon Banks live or on TV during the 60's and early 70's.

I don't think any youtube clib will be able to show how great Gordon Banks was. Even if it is now 46 years since I saw Gordon Banks in action, about the same number of years I have been a Stones fan, I do still remember all those great moments on the field and all the great games he did. Her was the greatest.

Bjornulf

Date: February 25, 2019 18:36

bv
This thread is in memory of the great goalie Gordon Banks. Some of us were lucky to live and see Gordon Banks live or on TV during the 60's and early 70's.

I don't think any youtube clib will be able to show how great Gordon Banks was. Even if it is now 46 years since I saw Gordon Banks in action, about the same number of years I have been a Stones fan, I do still remember all those great moments on the field and all the great games he did. Her was the greatest.

I agree, no disrespect meant. Sports is so subjective, especially to fans. Fans are extremely passionate about their teams and players. In our city Buffalo, we have more heartbreak in major sports than you can imagine. Most of my favorite players came out of the 70's, and a few after.

Date: February 25, 2019 18:46

Gimme Shelter only has 3 chords, I don't see what all the fuss is about.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2295
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home