Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Charlie's solo material: what is the best?
Date: October 6, 2005 17:14

Looking to pick up one of Charlie's solo albums.

Any advice which one/two are the best?

Thanks.

Re: Charlie's solo material: what is the best?
Posted by: Georges ()
Date: October 6, 2005 17:46

"Watts at Scotts" is quite good. It is live. It is a double CD. You can hear Charlie introducing the members of his band. There are very few opportunies to hear Charlie's voice.
As you know, Charlie's music is jazz. It does not sound like Stones' music, but if you like jazz, you would enjoy "Watts at Scotts".

Date: October 6, 2005 18:06

Thanks Georges!

Yes, Charlie's tight jazz sound was really apparent on B2B.

Posted by: john r ()
Date: October 6, 2005 19:31

1, Live At Fullham Town Hall ('86) is his 32 piece big band doing mostly bop or pre-bop standards. Nice souvenir; I saw the Orchestra in late '86 or early '87.
2, From One Charlie ('91, box set w/ CW's 1964 Parker book, a cd, & a nice C. Parker print) is Parker-inspired original material by the fine CW Quintet,- jazz critic Scott Yanow (AMG) said he'd give it 5 stars if the cd was not just under 30 minutes.
3, Tribute to C. Parker with Strings ('92) features the Quintet live on material from the preceding cd plus a few covers of Parker classics showing the group in fine form, plus Bernard links the material w/readings from Watts' book, & he sings one song. A nice tribute.
4, Both 'Warm & Tender' ('93) & 'Long Ago & Far Away' ('96) feature the Watts Quintet plus Bernard on vocals performing jazz/pop classics from the pre-rock era - way better, more nuanced & committed, than other recent stars' efforts at doing 'american songbook' type projects - these guys love this stuff, & it shows. (BTW Warm & Tender features tres cool elaborate artwork including a beautiful booklet color shot of CW w/ a baby Seraphina (the cover model) circa '69) On both of these albums Charlie mostly uses brushes btw, the material mostly classic ballads. Great late night listening. Bernard, who was filling in for Mick & Rod on the Ron W tour during this period, & fronting his Zep-meets-Funkadelic band Nickelbag too, is a f*cking chameleon, & sounds just as fine on these timeless songs as on "Hots On For Nowhere" or "Hit It & Quit". Never oversings.
5, "Charlie Watts/Jim Keltner Project" (2000), is different from all other Watts cds, begun during the Bridges 2 Babylon sessions, CW lays down grooves w/ JK adding colorful percussive & Eno-esque effects & (as on B2B, but more so) the pair embracing cut-ups, techno, ambient, etc for a cool, unique synthesis of 'world' type music & modern production techniques. But it is never bland or new-agey. Charlie's drums are mixed front & center, the music defies catagorization - not really jazz, and some of it is beautiful (check out the long "Tony Williams" or "The Elvin Suite" - with otherworldly 'voices' it is exquisite, haunting, w/ a sense of grief & loss. Some of this music picks up where the end of "How Can I Stop" or 'Thief In the Night' leave off. These long tracks all have strong grooves, & lots of inventive goings on. Mick plays keys/synth (think of the droning style of 'Continental Drift' or his score for 'Invocation of My Demon Brother'). Keith is on here too, as well as Blondie Chaplin & other Stone-in-laws. There is a ltd edition w/ a 2nd disc of remixes. I like this album a lot. BY THE WAY, tho most tracks are written by Watts/Keltner, the 12 minute 'Tony Williams' may be a first w/ its credit: "Charlie Watts/Mick Jagger/Jim Kelter"...
6, "Watts At Scott's" (2004), is CW's Tentet live, continuing to evolve out of the fine bop/post-bop homage of the Parker-themed Quintet albums into a more confident musical identity. Strong performances & mix of new material/covers (Ellington, Monk)including a terrific jazz reinterpretion of his other group's biggest hit ever, here called "Faction"...Some pretty well known Jazz critics have praised Charlie's solo stuff ("without the Stones' association...still absolutely deserves his place in any guide to jazz recordings...")

Date: October 6, 2005 19:43

John R, your comprehensive input is very much appreciated!

Thank You!

Posted by: gut ()
Date: October 6, 2005 19:47

"Warm and Tender" would be your best beginning buy. Its very mellow jazz, the kind you'd hear in a dark candle-lit jazz club, while you're romancing a hot blonde woman in a slinky red dress...

The cover pic of Seraphina is hot too.

Post script - Great reviews, John R. I'll use them to build my Watts Jazz colllection as well. Charlie is extremely under-appreciated within the Jazz world. I hope that will change before he grows much older.

#......Go ahead....Bite the Big Apple....Don't mind the Maggots.....Uh Huh...#

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-10-06 19:51 by gut.

Posted by: the juf ()
Date: October 6, 2005 21:15

If you want to have a laugh, listen to 'A Weird Tribute to Charlie Mingus'.
Charlie 'sings' on this : 'Laughing In Rhythm'. The other track, 'Tonight at Noon' is also fab!!!

Posted by: gut ()
Date: October 6, 2005 21:35

====Charlie 'sings' on this =====

Juf, what in the world does he sound like? This is amazing...

#......Go ahead....Bite the Big Apple....Don't mind the Maggots.....Uh Huh...#

Date: October 7, 2005 00:29

I know this thread is about Charlie's solo discs, but just wanted to point out he plays on a track on a recent Chico Hamilton cd called 'Forestorm". really intricate brush playing from Charlie! its an enjoyable disc, by one of the first drummers to inspire Charlie when he was starting to play drums.
DR

Posted by: the juf ()
Date: October 9, 2005 21:47

shame on the juf: it is not on the Mingus Tribute , but on the wonderful tribute to Sidney Bechet: Vol Pour Sidney......

Posted by: Niklas ()
Date: October 10, 2005 02:19

Warm and tender and Long ago and far away are GREAT!

Posted by: chris girard ()
Date: October 10, 2005 03:00

Thanks to John R, his reviews are right on the money. I have Warm & Tender' ('93) & 'Long Ago & Far Away, the Watts/Keltner Project and Watts at Ronnie Scotts, I enjoy them all.

Posted by: letitbleed ()
Date: October 10, 2005 04:20

Saw Charlie play at the Henry Fonda theartre in Hollywood back in 96. Mick sat in the front row. Great show.

Date: October 29, 2005 17:33

Just received Warm and Tender yesterday. Fantastic!

Thank you all for the advice. Certainly plan on buying more of Charlie's CD's as the quality is top notch. As recommended here, will get Long Ago & Far Away next.

Posted by: Bärs ()
Date: October 29, 2005 18:42

Live At Fullham Town Hall is a bit messy but fun. From one Charlie is absolutely great. Long ago sucks. So boring.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1499
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home