Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Mick, Keith and Bill talk Grammys - 1985 footage
Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: February 8, 2019 12:46

CaptainCorella

Not at all. I'm being thorough.

eye rolling smiley

It's less dramatic than what he actually did and is known for doing in mid 80's with Mandy Smith.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-02-08 18:31 by His Majesty.

Posted by: CaptainCorella ()
Date: February 8, 2019 23:37

His Majesty
CaptainCorella

eye rolling smiley

It's less dramatic than what he actually did and is known for doing in mid 80's with Mandy Smith.

What you alleged was indeed thus, but unless and until you (or anyone else) can cite a source that others can check, it has to be an unproven allegation.

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Date: February 9, 2019 04:13

No. It's just you being a mong.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: February 9, 2019 11:56

ROCKMAN

Date: February 9, 2019 13:15

grinning smiley

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: February 9, 2019 18:30

Stoneage
mtaylor
Charlie high on something :-) in 1986

You're right. He's completely out of it. A disgrace really. Never seen anything like this. And - why accept awards if you don't want them? I'm sure there are people who would have been grateful for it.

Charlie was often drunk or high during that time. It's part of why Mick didn't want to tour. It also nearly cost him his marriage. Gratefully, he cleaned up. Mick not wanting the award (and saying so) and telling a worldwide audience via satellite, "For those of you who took the piss, the joke's on you" was a two-fingered salute to the Establishment. CBS wanted the Grammy. It was promotion for an album Mick didn't like and had no intention of touring behind. There's one interview from the press junket where Mick answers a question and Keith starts to say, "What I always say is..." and Mick snaps at him, "What is it?" as if he can barely tolerate him. It was a low time for the band. DIRTY WORK was a contractual obligation record. One of Dave Jerden's assistants is a regular on the board, he could tell us far more.

Date: February 9, 2019 18:35

CaptainCorella
What you alleged was indeed thus, but unless and until you (or anyone else) can cite a source that others can check, it has to be an unproven allegation.

While I've never heard of the quote from Bill, I don't find it difficult to imagine. Look at the footage. Their original audience was largely girls that age and Bill and Brian were the main sex addicts in the band at that time. They were also both in their twenties. It may not have been moral or even legal, but it's life on the road for a rock band. Without it, they wouldn't have written "Stray Cat Blues," "Summer Romance," or "So Young." It's nothing new, look at Chuck Berry's lyrics to "Sweet Little Sixteen," "Little Queenie," or "Sweet Little Rock 'n' Roller." Sexual energy of young girls to and from the stage is a huge part of what drives the music.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: February 9, 2019 18:54

You're right, RD. I don't find it difficult to imagine either. We're not exactly talking about a monk here. Rather a sex addict who even brags about it.
But CC has a valid point. If you cite someone you should be able to back it up with a source of sorts.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-02-09 22:15 by Stoneage.

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: February 9, 2019 19:41

Rocky Dijon
Stoneage
mtaylor

You're right. He's completely out of it. A disgrace really. Never seen anything like this. And - why accept awards if you don't want them? I'm sure there are people who would have been grateful for it.

Charlie was often drunk or high during that time. It's part of why Mick didn't want to tour. It also nearly cost him his marriage. Gratefully, he cleaned up. Mick not wanting the award (and saying so) and telling a worldwide audience via satellite, "For those of you who took the piss, the joke's on you" was a two-fingered salute to the Establishment. CBS wanted the Grammy. It was promotion for an album Mick didn't like and had no intention of touring behind. There's one interview from the press junket where Mick answers a question and Keith starts to say, "What I always say is..." and Mick snaps at him, "What is it?" as if he can barely tolerate him. It was a low time for the band. DIRTY WORK was a contractual obligation record. One of Dave Jerden's assistants is a regular on the board, he could tell us far more.

I also believe that Shirley Watts had a drink problem, also. Not sure of the dates though.

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: February 9, 2019 19:56

CaptainCorella
His Majesty
CaptainCorella

Change of story. Previously you wrote - exact quote here from your posting - "It is an actual quote, but I didn't keep the article it was in" and now you attribute it to Facebook.

Fine. Post a link to it.

Jeebus, are you being intentionally stupid?

An article possibly posted in a facebook group dedicated to old stones stuff. You have to be a member to view the posts.

Where it was posted I can't recall with certainty. That an article featured Bill saying such a thing is for sure.

You wrote something, presenting it as an actual quote. Quite a serious alleged remark by Bill Wyman. And I reckon that it's worth finding out its source.

After being pressed you changed your account of it's origin, and now you attempt to pass it off as "possibly" and cite an exclusive group on Facebook. And that you can't recall with certainty.

In the real world it's generally considered to be a rather bad idea to make a potentially egregiously offensive remark about someone, and not be able to substantiate it. You can't. And that's deeply regrettable.

So, until you (or someone else of course) can substantiate what you alleged Bill Wyman said, it has to be considered as unproved.

thumbs upCaptain

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: February 9, 2019 20:14

Bill was a bit creepy regarding Mandy Smith...

"Bill Wyman, the Rolling Stones' former bassist and founder member, has revealed how offered to speak to detectives about his notorious relationship with Mandy Smith when she was a teenager".

From The Telegraph, 2013: Bill and Mandy Smith

“We all have a skeleton in the cupboard, it’s just if you’re taxi driver in Halifax no one ever hears about it. But if you are celebrity every one does.
In my case it was publicised to the world and that wasn’t really fair, I don’t think.”

Date: February 9, 2019 21:24

It's nothing new, look at Chuck Berry's lyrics to "Sweet Little Sixteen," "Little Queenie," or "Sweet Little Rock 'n' Roller."

And lets not forget the old blues standard -- Good Morning Little School Girl

ROCKMAN

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: February 9, 2019 21:41

Hairball
Bill was a bit creepy regarding Mandy Smith...

"Bill Wyman, the Rolling Stones' former bassist and founder member, has revealed how offered to speak to detectives about his notorious relationship with Mandy Smith when she was a teenager".

From The Telegraph, 2013: Bill and Mandy Smith

“We all have a skeleton in the cupboard, it’s just if you’re taxi driver in Halifax no one ever hears about it. But if you are celebrity every one does.
In my case it was publicised to the world and that wasn’t really fair, I don’t think.”

Dear Bill
Just to let you know that if you had been a taxi driver in Halifax (West Yorkshire), you would have faced a trial by Jury and almost certainly have ended up serving time.
On release, it's unlikely that the Local Authority would have granted you a Drivers licence.
Regards

PS

What both Keith and Bill should know, is that there is one rule for the rich and one for the poor. Same wether its underage sex, drugs or tax evasion.
So saying "it's not really fair" doesn't wash.
He may have a different attitude now, as the father of (3) teenage girls.
Let's hope so.

Date: February 9, 2019 22:01

ROCKMAN

Date: February 9, 2019 22:07

ROCKMAN

Date: February 9, 2019 22:11

jlowe
He may have a different attitude now, as the father of (3) teenage girls.
Let's hope so.

"So much water, you've got daughters, I fell out of the boat. Oh no, not you again..."

Date: February 9, 2019 23:13

Stoneage
You're right, RD. I don't find it difficult to imagine either. We're not exactly talking about a monk here. Rather a sex addict who even brags about it.
But CC has a valid point. If you cite someone you should be able to back it up with a source of sorts.

Thanks. That's the core of the matter.

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: February 9, 2019 23:31

Mandy Smith was barely a teenager when Bill started paying an interest, no? As much of a fan as I am, does this not link his behaviours to the likes of Gary Glitter? Certainly, if there were an investigation today, and women were to come forward, many of the pop-stars would - rightly, in my opinion - be in a lot of trouble.

Date: February 10, 2019 00:00

runrudolph
yeah, Mick Taylor n Ian did not get mentioned. disgraceful and respectless indeed.
jeroen

No support has to be paid for quality wines.

Date: February 10, 2019 01:14

---------->>>>>>>>>>>> [www.youtube.com]

ROCKMAN

Date: February 10, 2019 03:06

Big Al
Mandy Smith was barely a teenager when Bill started paying an interest, no? As much of a fan as I am, does this not link his behaviours to the likes of Gary Glitter? Certainly, if there were an investigation today, and women were to come forward, many of the pop-stars would - rightly, in my opinion - be in a lot of trouble.

But it’s NOT TODAY. For chrisake can we please stop slandering from 35 YEARS AGO
we have hashed this subject to death, gimme a break.

Date: February 10, 2019 03:44

Rockman

Them are some high strung chickadees.
Losing their minds @ Mick Jagger, I mean really....grinning smiley

Date: February 10, 2019 03:46

Big Al

Gary Glitter and Jimmy Saville were both mentioned in the article linked up above (along with some other dirty old men), but Bill and his behaviors were not equated with them.

The part of the story I forgot about was that Bill's son married Mandy Smith's mother.

All in the Family
"At age 47, the Rolling Stones’ bassist, Bill Wyman, began a relationship with 13-year old Mandy Smith, with her mother’s blessing.
Six years later, they were married, but the marriage only lasted a year. According to Smith, their relationship was sexually consummated when she was 14 years old.

Not long after, Bill’s 30-year-old son Stephen married Mandy’s mother, age 46. That made Stephen a stepfather to his former stepmother.
If Bill and Mandy had remained married, Stephen would have been his father’s father-in-law and his own grandpa".

Very confusing, but this song and video might help make some sense of it?

Ray Stevens - I'm My Own Grandpa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-02-10 03:47 by Hairball.

Date: February 10, 2019 04:53

Such high reading material Hairball isn’t your wife a Professor? I remember you remarking highly of her education. And yet... opposites attract, LOL
Pass on the gross gossip we’ve seen a million times eye rolling smiley
Ollllld news.

Date: February 10, 2019 04:54

He who has not sinned
please cast the first Stone …..

ROCKMAN

Date: February 10, 2019 05:02

Royal Albert Hall -- 1966……………….

ROCKMAN

Date: February 10, 2019 05:35

35love
Such high reading material Hairball isn’t your wife a Professor? I remember you remarking highly of her education. And yet... opposites attract, LOL
Pass on the gross gossip we’ve seen a million times eye rolling smiley
Ollllld news.

Yes she currently is a professor (Phd), as was I (MFA)- we are equals!

Not sure what the big deal is, as it's all part of Stones history.
You may have seen the story a million times (eye rolling smiley), but can't say the same for myself - completely forgot about his son. And how can it be gossip when there's actual quotes from Bill regarding the situation?
As Stoneage said in a different thread, best to separate the personal lives of an artists with the art itself - otherwise there wouldn't be many to admire. But if it really bothers you, why not skip it.
Bill was one of the greatest bass players in the history of rock and roll, and without him the Stones have suffered - can't praise his musicianship enough, and he will always be missed.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-02-10 05:39 by Hairball.

Date: February 10, 2019 06:30

Hairball
35love

And how can it be gossip when there's actual quotes from Bill regarding the situation?

Whilst all of the stuff about Mandy is true, there has not (yet) been proof of the sentence posted by His Majesty as an actual quote.

(Mind you, although it's often repeated, I have never seen or been told good confirmation that the story about Stephen Wyman marrying Mandy's mum is true.)

And, having a PhD does not automatically make you a Professor. Although my partner does have a PhD and she is genuinely an appointed Professor at a university. Fans of The Big Bang Theory should sympathise with me. In this family we're Dr, Dr, Dr, Mr - I'm the only one of the four of us without a PhD.

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Date: February 10, 2019 07:17

Hairball

And how can it be gossip when there's actual quotes from Bill regarding the situation?

CaptainCorella
Whilst all of the stuff about Mandy is true, there has not (yet) been proof of the sentence posted by His Majesty as an actual quote.

(Mind you, although it's often repeated, I have never seen or been told good confirmation that the story about Stephen Wyman marrying Mandy's mum is true.)

And, having a PhD does not automatically make you a Professor. Although my partner does have a PhD and she is genuinely an appointed Professor at a university. Fans of The Big Bang Theory should sympathise with me. In this family we're Dr, Dr, Dr, Mr - I'm the only one of the four of us without a PhD.

Fixed your quotes CaptianCorella as something went haywire in your last post.

As for His Majesty's quote, true there has been no direct source given.
But as Rocky Dijon stated: "While I've never heard of the quote from Bill, I don't find it difficult to imagine",
followed by what stoneage stated: "I don't find it difficult to imagine either. We're not exactly talking about a monk here. Rather a sex addict who even brags about it",
it's not really a stretch of the imagination to think it could have been said, though I agree there should be a direct source to corroborate it.

And while there is no absolute proof regarding Wymans son, it's been documented by many sources - including this:

Stephen Wyman

"Perhaps not surprisingly, Wyman and Smith are no longer in contact with each other. But just prior to the couple being divorced in 1993, things between the Wyman and Smith families took a bit of a left turn when Wyman's oldest son Stephen announced his engagement to Mandy Smith's mother, Patsy. That couple's marriage reportedly lasted two years, until their divorce in 1995".

Again, not absolute proof, but not sure what kind of evidence you're seeking for confirmation.
Seems to be if it was completely untrue, the magazine along with every other publication who has stated it, would have been setting themselves up for a lawsuit based on slander and defamation of character.

As for having a PhD not automatically making you a Professor - true, it takes alot of hard work and commitment beyond earning the degree itself.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-02-10 07:21 by Hairball.

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: February 10, 2019 08:43

Stoneage
mtaylor

Super uncomfortable to watch...what is Charlie saying? "It's got our wills on it"?

Pretty grim stuff...sad to see Charlie totally out of control.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1755
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home