Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
19th nervous breakdown
Posted by: noughties ()
Date: February 5, 2019 21:08

Great! New video, 60s style!

[www.udiscovermusic.com]

Re: 19th nervous breakdown
Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: February 5, 2019 22:24

Geeeeeeeezzzz … thought Elenore had
spiked me drink and dumped me naked at Luna Park .....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Hound Dog ()
Date: February 5, 2019 22:30

Would love them to add this to the set list for the tour. Great song which has not been played much live over the years.

Posted by: Testify ()
Date: February 6, 2019 02:11

Fantastic ! smiling bouncing smiley

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: February 6, 2019 02:34

It sounds different.

Cleaner.

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: February 6, 2019 02:44

Testify
Fantastic ! smiling bouncing smiley

thumbs up

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: February 6, 2019 02:49

His Majesty
It sounds different.

Cleaner.

one hell or a mastering job?
never heard ALL the parts from this era this Loud, but not just 'pinned'
ala 'the volume wars' with something dingy or harsh.
this seems to hang together very well and projects like a sob.
i can really hear, and feel, that SNAP in what those rhythm guitars are
doing with the bass and drums; and it's an unbelievable hot rhythm track.
Sort of unexected as there are some cool compilations with it
as

53 years ago this month, February '66, this single released.
recorded in the end of 64, and hotter than i could hope all things expected.
but i think what's 'out' alreaedy is good if we're careful.
super vieeo that respects the lyrics and i really loved it.
sounds like it's snapping and rocking very vigrouslly and absolutely committed and hot to me.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: February 6, 2019 03:14

Love it!!

“We’re not Bob Dylan, y’know. It’s not supposed to mean anything. It’s just about a neurotic bird, that’s all. I thought of the title first – it just sounded good.”

If not played live, it would be very cool for these lyric videos to be played utilizing the screens during the warm-ups at the concerts..
Would be great mood music before the first act.

Posted by: dmay ()
Date: February 6, 2019 07:41

Wow! Dig the colors, man.... Very cool. Thanks for the post.

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: February 6, 2019 09:05

I too was impressed by the sound. Then I checked the bit rate using Spek and it's 128 kbs. Usually I try to avoid anything less than 192. Anyone have insight to the possibility 128 is actually good these days?

Date: February 6, 2019 11:45

hopkins

one hell or a mastering job?
never heard ALL the parts from this era this Loud, but not just 'pinned'
ala 'the volume wars' with something dingy or harsh.

Hmm, Brian's guitar sounds lower than before. Which was already quite low to begin with.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-02-06 11:49 by His Majesty.

Posted by: AmpegVT22 ()
Date: February 6, 2019 11:51

Just what I thought. A lovely remaster job. That tom sound after the break (around 2:30) !!!! But Brian's guitar still sounds low on the intro, compared to the mono.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: February 6, 2019 12:02

A nice one! Haven't really listened it for years, so it was a joy. Sounds a bit different I recall. Damn those guitars are tasty, played and mixed wonderfully.

A good song indeed. A funny mix of Bo Diddley, Bob Dylan & The Beatles - and sounding nothing but the Rolling Stones!

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-02-06 12:05 by Doxa.

Date: February 6, 2019 12:10

AmpegVT22
Just what I thought. A lovely remaster job. That tom sound after the break (around 2:30) !!!! But Brian's guitar still sounds low on the intro, compared to the mono.

Makes it sound odd. thumbs down

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: February 6, 2019 13:26

That was so cool , and one of my earliest favorites from when I was a kid before I became a fan of the Stones , from listening to it in Dads car and at home . Pretty wild hot smiley

Posted by: Kingbeebuzz ()
Date: February 6, 2019 18:12

Is there any kind soul out there who could extract the audio from this and post it here to share.......please.
I have no software to get it down onto my Mac.
Thank you in advance.

Date: February 6, 2019 22:33

I really don`t know about this, but it`s a try:

<iframe width="360" height="203" src="[www.youtube.com]; frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: February 7, 2019 01:09

19th Nervous Breakdown led to Mother's Little Helper, figuratively speaking.

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: February 7, 2019 01:14

Man, I love how thunderous Charlie's tom fills are on this track. Still sounds amazing.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: February 7, 2019 02:20

They tried to do this song live, at least in rehearsal, fairly recently. They can't pull it off anymore. They're too slow. I remember in 2005 they did Get Off of My Cloud and it sounded like a waltz. Face it, they've aged past many of their numbers.

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: February 7, 2019 02:24

‘You're the kind of person you meet at certain dismal, dull affairs
Center of a crowd, talking much too loud, running up and down the stairs
Well, it seems to me that you have seen too much in too few years
And though you've tried you just can't hide your eyes are edged with tears’

BRILLIANT and ONLY delivered by Jagger.

Date: February 7, 2019 02:48

On our first trip I tried so hard to rearrange your mind
But after a while I realized you were disarranging mine

Hey yeah 35…. love these lines toooooo …..

ROCKMAN

Date: February 7, 2019 13:18

24FPS
They tried to do this song live, at least in rehearsal, fairly recently. They can't pull it off anymore. They're too slow. I remember in 2005 they did Get Off of My Cloud and it sounded like a waltz. Face it, they've aged past many of their numbers.

Too bad. Get Off My Cloud gets played live every now and then. 19th Nervous Breakdown would be more thrilling.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: February 7, 2019 15:38

No wonder one can hardly hear Brian Jonesn this mix, he's not in the band! They should remove Bill Wyman as well. Let Darryl Jones, Bernard Fowler and Blondie do overdubs, brickwall the mix even further and then we're talking

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-02-07 22:34 by Erik_Snow.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: February 7, 2019 15:44

noughties
24FPS

Too bad. Get Off My Cloud gets played live every now and then. 19th Nervous Breakdown would be more thrilling.

It would be great for them to play both Cloud and 19th Nervous Breakdown -- and silly, imo, to think they can't pull it off.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: February 7, 2019 22:29

Now re-listened the track for a few times (a joy!), and compared it to the old 60's one (my old BIG HITS album), I need to admit that Brian's Bo Diddley rhythmn guitar is clearly lowered in contrast to Keith's riff guitar, and I need to take my words back words of guitars being "mixed wonderfully". It was probably because haven't heard the song for ages it just sounded so fresh and great to my ears. It is nice to hear so clearly what Keith does, his timing and all that ('pure' Keef already there), but losing the interplay of those two guitars supporting each other so well (something absolutely magical), some of the charm is surely gone.

The truth is that in the past I haven't really appreciated the song as much as it deserves, most of it doing with its sonically muddy or monotonic sounding 'bad' production, but now I feel like enlightened. One thing I have critizied has been the guitars (both of them) mixed way too low, but now I see that as a clever and tasty choice of production. They are laying a beautiful foundation, but like not hitting straight to your face, but like secuding one teasing-like more sophistically. One lives and learns...

But one thing that I have never understood is why in the original mix of "Get Off of My Cloud" Brian's melodic riff figure is mixed so low (in contrast to their previous signature riff-based hits, "The Last Time" and "Satisfaction"). There is that one odd Russian (Soviet) version from the 80's (?) - if memory serves in a collection called LADY JANE - in which it is loud and clear. Could it be that they really wanted the piece to sound more, say, rough, raw and aggressive (it is almost pre-punk), and Brian's riff would have destroyed the effect if emphasizied more?

Anyway, altogether I think the sequence of singles from "The Last Time" via "Satisfaction" and "Get Off of My Cloud" to "19th Nervous Breakdown" constitutes an incredible musical statement by The Rolling Stones: that of them sounding an original R&B band with an unique style. They were a singles band then, and that winning streak bought them - and Jagger/Richard - credibility and future. Their future adventures in experientalism and otherways of exploring their repertuare, starting in "Paint It Black" and AFTERMATH, was laid on that foundation.

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-02-07 22:30 by Doxa.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: February 7, 2019 22:44

Not judging the new video via youtube while listening on laptop, but the original studio version is easily amongst their best tunes ever.
However, I saw them play it live in 1997 and it came across as a dirge lacking most of it's original energy and oomph.
If they played it today could there be an improvement? Hmmm...highly doubt it, but it might be nice to see them resurrect it again anyhow.

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: February 8, 2019 03:27

stones were so underrated during the mid 60,s period,

songs like

19th nervous breakdown
have you seen your mother baby
the last time
its all over now
not fade away
lets spend the night together

never really got much gig time after brian left, which is understandable, but they did bring paint it black and ruby tuesday back for the vegas years so why not others.

when i listen to those above songs with some others from same period added in it becomes so obvious the stones are the greatest band ever.

then when i think of whats to come in the 60,s alone

we love you
citadel
shes a rainbow
complicated
cool calm and collected
2000 man
jj flash
child of the moon
jigsaw puzzle
street fighting man
gimme shelter
midnight rambler

and a few more, it really hits home the brilliance and diversity the stones had that no one else has come close to attaining.

Date: February 8, 2019 04:14

ooooh yeah buttons
and lets not forget... We Love You

ROCKMAN

Posted by: z ()
Date: February 8, 2019 07:19

See? I told ya they're good. The Rolling Stones.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1990
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home