Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: High quality pictures of Prince opening for The Stones in 1981
Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: February 6, 2019 03:18

35love
“It seems that when Keith is intimidated by someone's talent he says mean things.”
^quote by GLS

Why does your perceived motivation
come from malice?
Have you never had a change of opinion in a person?
1 divorce under my belt says I have.

Did you even read what I said? Clearly not.

Posted by: SKILLS ()
Date: February 6, 2019 04:54

35love
SKILLS
35love
Oh hey SKILLS that was not my personal written description I posted the link to the author/ reviewer I was pasting.

I thought the time line itself was fascinating
‘Controversy’ released 5 days after RS opener
I was in MN @ the Time (who were also big in the Mpls clubs)
Anyway,
sorry but the review of Prince if you open the link was flattering/ just.

I play Rugby Union with any person of any creed, they just have to be prepared to play hard, physical contact sport, committed to the game, color, creed, demoniation does not matter, only heart, care and responsibility. Maybe you should study the greatest game

[www.youtube.com]

Well, if you’re implying I need enlightenment on people of color,
I will >30 years in N CA, and it’s all a blended delight here- a mesh of all hues.
God Bless.
-

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-02-07 09:46 by SKILLS.

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: February 6, 2019 05:01

GasLightStreet
35love
“It seems that when Keith is intimidated by someone's talent he says mean things.”
^quote by GLS

Why does your perceived motivation
come from malice?
Have you never had a change of opinion in a person?
1 divorce under my belt says I have.

Did you even read what I said? Clearly not.

Yes, I did, but we’re starting to bicker.
I do appreciate you not calling out my grammar errors,
As I have the feeling you’re a teacher of sorts, and it drives you mad.
Anyway, cheers, and hope you get to the NO show.

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: February 6, 2019 06:42

Hairball
From Prince himself, speaking to L.A. Times music critic Robert Hilburn in 1982.

I like quite a lot of Prince's music. And he is extraordinary guitar vituoso. But in a fight? He would have been physically harmed or even killed. This is a bit of myth-making I reckon

Rod

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: February 6, 2019 06:43

bitusa2012
Hairball
From Prince himself, speaking to L.A. Times music critic Robert Hilburn in 1982.

I like quite a lot of Prince's music. And he is extraordinary guitar vituoso. But in a fight? He would have been physically harmed or even killed. This is a bit of self-grandiosement and myth-making I reckon

Rod

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: February 6, 2019 06:46

….mmmmmmmm ya never know Rod …
He may have learned a lil' Chop-Chop to protect his royal self …...

ROCKMAN

Posted by: tomk ()
Date: February 6, 2019 06:54

Regarding a link above, Prince never went on a 6:00 or 7:00 at night. More like 2:00 in the afternoon or something. And it had nothing to do with race, or women in his band, or Reagan or anything like that. It was just a rowdy R&R crowd of the time. I do remember the Doors having a big renaissance at the time, though.
I remember, too, that Throrogood peppered his between-song banter mentioning beer and Budweiser all the time. All. The. Time.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-02-06 07:11 by tomk.

Posted by: stickyfingers101 ()
Date: February 6, 2019 21:14

GasLightStreet
Hairball
What Keith had to say after the fact:

“Prince has to find out what it means to be a prince. That’s the trouble with conferring a title on yourself before you’ve proved it.
That was his attitude when he opened for us on the tour, and it was insulting to our audience. You don’t try to knock off the headline like that when you’re playing a Stones [concert].
You’d be much better off just being yourself and protecting that. He’s a prince who thinks he’s a king already. Good luck to him.”

What Keith said in Life:

"An overrated midget."

And a drastic change of tune in his tribute after Prince passed away:

“A unique talent. A true original. So sad, so sudden and, I will add, a great guitar player.We are all going to miss him.”

It seems that when Keith is intimidated by someone's talent he says mean things.

When people talk about the music that the Stones love and then consider their fans, it's a dichotomy: there's no connection between the general fan base of what the Stones love and and have been influenced by.

There's also another factor regarding the treatment of Prince opening for the Stones - rock fans are essentially conservative. Something so different as Prince opening for the Stones was too much for them to handle so they showed themselves.

these are really good points, IMO.

I also think Keith just says whatever he wants/thinks at the time...but, the point about being intimidated is an interesting one

from the many rock concerts I've been to - a lot of the fans are white, drunk and looking for something fairly predictable....I think the fan base of the Stones TODAY appreciates a much wider variety of talent/music than they probably did in 1981. Just a hunch.

Prince was way ahead of his time in so many ways...SO MANY...what a loss....f'n drugs, man....ugh.

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: February 6, 2019 21:40

stickyfingers101

from the many rock concerts I've been to - a lot of the fans are white, drunk and looking for something fairly predictable....I think the fan base of the Stones TODAY appreciates a much wider variety of talent/music than they probably did in 1981. Just a hunch.

Just out of curiosity...were you going to concerts in '81?

I have to wonder if your favorable assessment of "today's" Stones fan base is based on a then/now first-person observation, or as you say, just a hunch.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: February 6, 2019 21:58

Most Stones fans didn't have any problems when Peter Tosh opened for the Stones in '78.

Date: February 7, 2019 00:41

Prince was a gifted genius.

Booze sex and drugs that ‘81.
Unsupervised wild child’s.
Part.y
it’s bound to get ugly now and then.

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: February 7, 2019 01:19

I was there too, at the Coliseum shows.

Where are all the cups & cans that were thrown at the Stage?

Date: February 7, 2019 01:26

35love
On October 9, 1981, just five days before the release of his fourth studio album, Controversy, Prince walked onto the stage of the Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum, faced a crowd of roughly 90,000 predominantly white people (what was then his biggest audience ever) and experienced the kind of vitriolic backlash that would become the stuff of rock legend.

White people? Is that why they threw stuff at him?
My first concert was Jimi Hendrix at the Hollywood Bowl, nobody threw anything at him (that I can recall), although they may have splashed him with water when a number of people jumped in the moat smoking smiley

Date: February 7, 2019 02:14

FOR THE RECORD
that was not my (35love) quote
Holy. Why y’all focusing on that?
The crowd wanted the red hot Glimmers
after waiting their whole life.
Plus,
Booze and pills and powders.

Date: February 7, 2019 02:46

35love
FOR THE RECORD
that was not my (35love) quote
Holy. Why y’all focusing on that?
The crowd wanted the red hot Glimmers
after waiting their whole life.
Plus,
Booze and pills and powders.

I know it wasn't your quote, I wasn't ragging on you (at least with my comments)

Date: February 7, 2019 03:52

BluzDude

I saw that picture and wondered the same thing. I was at both shows.
You people have to remember that the stage trashing wasn't like the pie fight scene in The Great Race or a Three Stooges short. It came in dribs and drabs.
Objects were thrown, yes, but nothing like the Anaheim shoe incident in 1978.

Date: February 7, 2019 03:58

tomk
BluzDude

You people have to remember that the stage trashing wasn't like the pie fight scene in The Great Race or a Three Stooges short. It came in dribs and drabs.

I think the boos outweighed the debris haha, but also those pics look to be from the second show (he was fully dressed) and by all accounts there wasn't as much of a backlash for that one.

Date: February 7, 2019 04:14

Hairball
tomk
BluzDude

I think the boos outweighed the debris haha, but also those pics look to be from the second show (he was fully dressed) and by all accounts there wasn't as much of a backlash for that one.

Probably. I remember Prince at the first show, and remember the reaction. I was at the second, too, but I wasn't paying attention to Prince's set. Maybe I missed it, got there late. I remember Oct 9 better than the Oct 11 show.

Date: February 7, 2019 05:03

tomk
Hairball
tomk
BluzDude

Probably. I remember Prince at the first show, and remember the reaction. I was at the second, too, but I wasn't paying attention to Prince's set. Maybe I missed it, got there late. I remember Oct 9 better than the Oct 11 show.

I remember both shows about equally except for Prince's set for the second show. I might have been busy holding my ground on the field and/or busy maneuvering as close to the stage as possible.
My older brother blazed a trail for us like an NFL running back and dragging me behind him haha - the closest we made it was about 30 people back from the stage - it was chaos. Fun chaos.

Now's a good time as ever to put these pics back up of show #2 showing the sea of madness - courtesy of the L.A. Times.
(Saved them thankfully from an online article that has since been removed)

And a few from Getty Images:

And the tour poster which I had on my wall for quite a while - still have it in storage, a bit tattered around the edges from pinholes and scotch tape.:
(via google search)

And finally the shirt which I wore constantly at high school after the shows like a badge of honor. Still have it also, but completely faded, worn, shrunk and hanging together by a thread.
(both images via google search)

Date: February 7, 2019 06:01

Hairball
tomk
Hairball
tomk
BluzDude

I remember both shows about equally except for Prince's set for the second show. I might have been busy holding my ground on the field and/or busy maneuvering as close to the stage as possible.
My older brother blazed a trail for us like an NFL running back and dragging me behind him haha - the closest we made it was about 30 people back from the stage - it was chaos. Fun chaos.

Now's a good time as ever to put these pics back up of show #2 showing the sea of madness - courtesy of the L.A. Times.
(Saved them thankfully from an online article that has since been removed)

And a few from Getty Images:

And the tour poster which I had on my wall for quite a while - still have it in storage, a bit tattered around the edges from pinholes and scotch tape.:
(via google search)

And finally the shirt which I wore constantly at high school after the shows like a badge of honor. Still have it also, but completely faded, worn, shrunk and hanging together by a thread.
(both images via google search)

A bit OT: My problem with those 1981 LA shows was my idiotic friends that I went with. We had a great seats (first day), 35-40 yard line, about halfway up; we could see all and hear all. Once the Stones came on, my friends went, "Come on, let's get down there." I said, "Why? We have good seats here." They left, I had to follow (no cell phones then). Dumb decision they made. Spent half the concert moving inch by inch. "If we get lost, meet at the 50-yard line." Dumb move.

Date: February 7, 2019 06:15

Spent the first show about 1/3 of the way and back 30 seats up perfectly safe and sound from start to finish - my sister and her friend were us, so probably a wise choice.
The second show though just my bro and I - we arrived earlier than the first day planning our strategy, and went straight for the field to battle it out!
Both of us at 6'2" and able to fend for ourselves, but it was still quite a chore! smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-02-07 06:18 by Hairball.

Date: February 7, 2019 17:50

loog droog
stickyfingers101

Just out of curiosity...were you going to concerts in '81?

I have to wonder if your favorable assessment of "today's" Stones fan base is based on a then/now first-person observation, or as you say, just a hunch.

Just a hunch.

From what I've seen, most Stones fans today are "older"...so, I suppose, they are wiser (and calmer and perhaps less drunk? or at least less aggro-drunk than they might've been in 1981?).

And they are probably exposed to more music b/c of the internet.

and I would hope that, with age, people come to "tolerate" those that might strike them as "odd" or "different"...

so, everything I saw is based on hunches and assumptions.

1981? No...my first concert was, ironically, Prince around 1986-7 or so (whenever the Sign o' the Times tour was).

Point is - just a hunch.

Date: February 7, 2019 20:17

I find it rather ironic if the reason people were throwing things was b/c of Prince's outfits....some say it was, some say it wasn't...i don't pretend to know.

isn't that Mick prancing around in tights, knee pads, a puffy coat & skin-tight tank top???!!??

....and I'm not even sure what the shoes are.

Mick wasn't exactly dripping "masculinity" either - if that was the problem people had w/ Prince in a banana-hammock speedo...

"People are strange"...

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: February 7, 2019 20:23

These pictures (along with the 81-82 clothing thread) bring back great memories. Ya can almost smell the excitement in the air.

Date: February 7, 2019 21:02

stickyfingers101
I find it rather ironic if the reason people were throwing things was b/c of Prince's outfits....some say it was, some say it wasn't...i don't pretend to know.

isn't that Mick prancing around in tights, knee pads, a puffy coat & skin-tight tank top???!!??

....and I'm not even sure what the shoes are.

Mick wasn't exactly dripping "masculinity" either - if that was the problem people had w/ Prince in a banana-hammock speedo...

"People are strange"...

LOL that’s good.
My claustrophobic blood runs cold looking at those ‘81 crowds... my show that tour was suppose to be inside, St Paul MN
November 21
Just looked at the set list for the first time.
[www.setlist.fm]
Life. Life is strange.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-02-07 21:44 by 35love.

Date: February 8, 2019 16:39

Hairball
Most Stones fans didn't have any problems when Peter Tosh opened for the Stones in '78.

Peter Tosh is quite different than Prince.

and, anybody who gets aggro listening to Reggae has serious problems.

Posted by: mnewman505 ()
Date: February 8, 2019 17:39

grzegorz67
35love
punkfloyd
I wonder if this incident left a bad taste about US audiences in Jagger's mouth and led to the band's touring hiatus after 1981. Sort of like Roger Waters after 1977 US Pink Floyd tour. Mick must have been wondering what kind of audience they created...given the band's love for all sorts of music from reggae, funk, country and of course rock.

They Stones are a lot of things, but in 1981 I bet Mick wanted them to be seen as a bit more sophisticated and able to introduce the likes of Prince.

No offense, this made me laugh.
When I see interviews (2 I remember clearly) of Mick being interviewed 1981-1982 tour times, he seems very happy.
Packed! stadiums at the brim with young people, major cash rolling in, he’s settling down with Jerry, fit as the best fiddle, top of the world.

It was without doubt a very successful tour but I've read that it wasn't particularly profitable. Tours weren't back in those days and bands went on tour to promote records, where the big profits lay. Nowadays, with digital downloads and file sharing, it's the other way around with expensive tickets for most of the big acts.
It was profitable for Bill Graham that's for sure and Mick never forgave him either. In his book Bill says he was absolutely devastated that Cohl got Steel Wheels over him later on.

Date: February 8, 2019 18:13

I read somewhere it was Charlie Watts who brought Prince to attention RS.
More curiously what did Mick say when he called Prince?
Did they remain friends thru the years, chat on the phone now and again?

Date: February 8, 2019 19:25

stickyfingers101
Hairball

Peter Tosh is quite different than Prince.

and, anybody who gets aggro listening to Reggae has serious problems.
I agree to both of the above, but you initially said:

"I think the fan base of the Stones TODAY appreciates a much wider variety of talent/music than they probably did in 1981".

Reggae wasn't mainstream in the States at the time (far from it), and Peter Tosh wasn't a household name either - including a majority of the Stones' fanbase.
Yet most fans showed their appreciation for him during the '78 tour, or at least were tolerant of him (ie no garbage being thrown at him).
Perhaps yes the fan base of the Stones TODAY appreciates a much wider variety of talent/music, but they were fairly open minded to something different even way back when - in that case Peter Tosh.
But keep in mind that the Stones fanbase of today is much older, mellower, (and maybe wiser?), and most in attendance don't really care one way or the other who happens to be the opening act.
If an unknown Prince who dressed weird and played oddball music were to open for the Stones today, he might be met with yawns and/or laughs vs. the negativity and hate he received back then.

On the other hand, Justin Timberlake was greeted with heavy amounts of booing and trash when he opened for the Stones at SarsFest in Toronto. Granted that was back in 2003, but much of the crowd showed little mercy.

Justin Timberlake Gets Pelted With Garbage

TORONTO — In perhaps his most memorable cameo since donning a furry dolphin suit at a Flaming Lips performance, Justin Timberlake joined Mick Jagger and the rest of the Rolling Stones onstage during the veteran rock band's set at the concert for Toronto on Wednesday night.

The afternoon kicked off on a low point for Timberlake when a concertgoer's sign questioning the singer's sexuality made it to the jumbotrons for about 15 seconds. Timberlake took to the stage with an obvious awareness of audience cynicism, beginning his set with a small attempt to mitigate the crowd's frustration: "This will be over before you know it."

During his mini-set of "Cry Me a River," "Senorita" and "Rock Your Body," Justin gracefully dodged water bottles flung by anti-pop audience members, and winced slightly at their less than playful jeers. After quietly thanking the city of Toronto for generally being welcoming to him and his tour crew, Timberlake left the stage to make way for more crowd-pleasing acts including the Guess Who, Rush, AC/DC and headliners the Rolling Stones.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-02-08 19:26 by Hairball.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1974
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home