Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
High quality pictures of Prince opening for The Stones in 1981
Posted by: punkfloyd ()
Date: February 5, 2019 03:31

Re: High quality pictures of Prince opening for The Stones in 1981
Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: February 5, 2019 03:41

Thanks. thumbs up

I was at both of those shows (my first two), and have only seen blurry black and white photos of Prince performing there. He looks miserable in that second pic.
I remember the hail storm of debris thrown at the stage. Had no idea who he was, and didn't like anything about his set, but I didn't throw anything.
Eventually came to know him because of Purple Rain and appreciate some of his music throughout the years, and thanks to my wife saw him several times later in his career - he was fantastic live!

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: February 5, 2019 04:18

Hairball
Thanks. thumbs up

I was at both of those shows (my first two), and have only seen blurry black and white photos of Prince performing there. He looks miserable in that second pic.
I remember the hail storm of debris thrown at the stage. Had no idea who he was, and didn't like anything about his set, but I didn't throw anything.
Eventually came to know him because of Purple Rain and appreciate some of his music throughout the years, and thanks to my wife saw him several times later in his career - he was fantastic live!

I did not realize/know your first 2 RS shows were these from 1981! Well, I give you more margin now LOL

Thanks for the pics of my MN friend

Posted by: SKILLS ()
Date: February 5, 2019 04:39

Didn't he come out in a raincoat and a speedo in one of the performances, like on the "Dirty Mind" cover

Date: February 5, 2019 05:02

SKILLS
Didn't he come out in a raincoat and a speedo in one of the performances, like on the "Dirty Mind" cover

I have no recollection of what he actually wore SKILLS, but according to writer Zachary Hoskins:

"Contrary to many reports, recently-released photos by Allen Beaulieu have confirmed that Prince was not still performing in his Dirty Mind-era ensemble of a trenchcoat, thigh-highs, and little else"

(photos posted above by punkfloyd)

Quote taken from this interesting article I just found about it all: Prince opening for the Stones L.A., 1981

And for the record, I wasn't too thrilled with George Thorogood either as I wasn't a big fan of his generic blues rock. Not bad, but.......next!

On the other hand, the J. Geils Band were 110% fantastic - one of the greatest bands I've ever seen open for the Stones.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-02-05 05:09 by Hairball.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: February 5, 2019 06:51

That makes way more sense that he wasn't dressed like Dirty Mind. I know the stories of people throwing shit at him, but I think he literally would have been killed if he came out like that to that kind of crowd.

Date: February 5, 2019 07:54

Hairball
SKILLS

I have no recollection of what he actually wore SKILLS, but according to writer Zachary Hoskins:

"Contrary to many reports, recently-released photos by Allen Beaulieu have confirmed that Prince was not still performing in his Dirty Mind-era ensemble of a trenchcoat, thigh-highs, and little else"

(photos posted above by punkfloyd)

Quote taken from this interesting article I just found about it all: Prince opening for the Stones L.A., 1981

And for the record, I wasn't too thrilled with George Thorogood either as I wasn't a big fan of his generic blues rock. Not bad, but.......next!

On the other hand, the J. Geils Band were 110% fantastic - one of the greatest bands I've ever seen open for the Stones.

Dam, one of my favorite Live albums is "Blow Your Face Out" prior to the 2 mega hit singles (Centerfold, Freezeframe) i'm rather envious of the crowds who witnessed the '81 Tour, it must have been a fantastic experience, the support line ups are unmatched in Rock history, some the most legendary Bands in just a few years...

Those Raglan T-Shirts with the line up on the back are just the coolest ever.

And I do wish that they had included the George Thorogood Set on the Hampton '81 Vault release, just to show how confident The Stones were.

Date: February 5, 2019 08:12

On October 9, 1981, just five days before the release of his fourth studio album, Controversy, Prince walked onto the stage of the Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum, faced a crowd of roughly 90,000 predominantly white people (what was then his biggest audience ever) and experienced the kind of vitriolic backlash that would become the stuff of rock legend.

Date: February 5, 2019 08:13

“We went on when the sun was still up, I think we hit the stage around six or seven at night,” recalled bandmate Matt Fink in Touré’s book I Will Die 4 U. “We get on stage and within two minutes of the first song the audience, which was a hardcore hippie crowd, they took one look at Prince and went what the heck is this? And they started booing, flipping us the bird. […] And they’re throwing whatever they could get their hands on…a crumpled up Coca-Cola can. I saw a fifth of Jack Daniels whiz by Prince’s face….”

Date: February 5, 2019 08:14

The L.A. Coliseum crowd wasn’t having it and neither was Prince, who famously stormed off the stage and hopped a jet back to Minnesota, leaving his band to finish “Why You Wanna Treat Me So Bad” without him. Although Mick Jagger would coax him to return two days later, the ensuing shows were more of the same, and Prince and band dropped off of the tour before his new album hit stores.

Date: February 5, 2019 08:17

All from this lush review
[pitchfork.com]

Date: February 5, 2019 08:20

35love
On October 9, 1981, just five days before the release of his fourth studio album, Controversy, Prince walked onto the stage of the Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum, faced a crowd of roughly 90,000 predominantly white people (what was then his biggest audience ever) and experienced the kind of vitriolic backlash that would become the stuff of rock legend.

What's the "White People" reference, when the population was "Look up the Stats", the Stones have a percentile factor equivalent across racial groups fool, look at the percentages represented, as may % "white people" actually i hate that reference, "people represented across the so called racial strata are almost equally represented circa 1981"... Americans is the reference. "Some Puerto Rican Girls, Just Dying To Meet You", "Sweet Black Angel", "Fool To Cry"....

Mick has how many Children of differing origin's fool.

Prince represented a niche audience of Minneapolis Funk at the time, and represent he did, as Eric Clapton said when asked "What is it like to be the greatest guitarist on the planet?, I don't know ask Prince!"

[www.youtube.com] i'm done

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-02-05 08:43 by SKILLS.

Date: February 5, 2019 09:18

Oh hey SKILLS that was not my personal written description I posted the link to the author/ reviewer I was pasting.

I thought the time line itself was fascinating
‘Controversy’ released 5 days after RS opener
I was in MN @ the Time (who were also big in the Mpls clubs)
Anyway,
sorry but the review of Prince if you open the link was flattering/ just.

Date: February 5, 2019 09:30

From Prince himself, speaking to L.A. Times music critic Robert Hilburn in 1982.

Posted by: tomk ()
Date: February 5, 2019 09:46

I was at both shows. Keep in mind that nobody knew who he was (more later).
I remember the audience throwing trash, but only people in the first 20 rows or so could have done that. This was still a beer-and-bong crowd, and from the first few rows, he looked like Hendrix. Funny, I still remember the thigh-thighs and trench-coat on the first day. Perhaps I'm wrong. Don't recall him on the second day.
However, when the tour was announced, L.A radio station KMET had a live announcement party regarding the tour. They announced the opening acts:
The J. Giles Band (loud applause); George Thorogood (loud applause); Prince (nothing, not even crickets). Hey, I've been playing for years, and I've had a lot of stuff thrown at me; every playing musician has.

Date: February 5, 2019 09:56

35love
Oh hey SKILLS that was not my personal written description I posted the link to the author/ reviewer I was pasting.

Anyway,

I play Rugby Union with any person of any creed, they just have to be prepared to play hard, physical contact sport, committed to the game, color, creed, demoniation does not matter, only heart, care and responsibility. Maybe you should study the greatest game

[www.youtube.com]

Date: February 5, 2019 10:03

tomk
Funny, I still remember the thigh-thighs and trench-coat on the first day. Perhaps I'm wrong. Don't recall him on the second day.

You could be right tomk, and for all we know, those pics above could have been from the second show, and he did wear trench coat and underwear the first day.

From the pitchfork article posted above:

“I’m sure wearing underwear and a trench coat didn’t help matters…” he (Prince) mused to Robert Hilburn in the Los Angeles Times,
“but if you throw trash at anybody, it’s because you weren’t trained right at home.”

Not sure if he was referring to the album cover of Dirty Mind, or what he actually wore at the first show.

I was about a third of the way back from the stage and 30 rows up for the first show, and on the field about 30 people back from the stage for the second show right in the thick of it.
While I remember the boos and seeing tons of crap thrown on stage at Prince the first show, I don't recall if that happened the second show - like you I really don't recall Prince at all that second show.

One thing I also remember from the first show is that trash, beer, and debris being thrown everywhere when the Stones came on - not directed at the stage, just a general momentary celebration of chaos!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-02-05 10:15 by Hairball.

Date: February 5, 2019 10:20

SKILLS
35love

Anyway,

I play Rugby Union with any person of any creed, they just have to be prepared to play hard, physical contact sport, committed to the game, color, creed, demoniation does not matter, only heart, care and responsibility. Maybe you should study the greatest game

[www.youtube.com]

Well, if you’re implying I need enlightenment on people of color,
I will >30 years in N CA, and it’s all a blended delight here- a mesh of all hues.
God Bless.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-02-05 10:21 by 35love.

Posted by: Plink ()
Date: February 5, 2019 14:37

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2022-07-23 08:03 by Plink.

Posted by: punkfloyd ()
Date: February 5, 2019 14:44

I wonder if this incident left a bad taste about US audiences in Jagger's mouth and led to the band's touring hiatus after 1981. Sort of like Roger Waters after 1977 US Pink Floyd tour. Mick must have been wondering what kind of audience they created...given the band's love for all sorts of music from reggae, funk, country and of course rock.

They Stones are a lot of things, but in 1981 I bet Mick wanted them to be seen as a bit more sophisticated and able to introduce the likes of Prince.

Date: February 5, 2019 16:52

punkfloyd
I wonder if this incident left a bad taste about US audiences in Jagger's mouth and led to the band's touring hiatus after 1981. Sort of like Roger Waters after 1977 US Pink Floyd tour. Mick must have been wondering what kind of audience they created...given the band's love for all sorts of music from reggae, funk, country and of course rock.

They Stones are a lot of things, but in 1981 I bet Mick wanted them to be seen as a bit more sophisticated and able to introduce the likes of Prince.

No offense, this made me laugh.
When I see interviews (2 I remember clearly) of Mick being interviewed 1981-1982 tour times, he seems very happy.
Packed! stadiums at the brim with young people, major cash rolling in, he’s settling down with Jerry, fit as the best fiddle, top of the world.

Posted by: Chacho ()
Date: February 5, 2019 18:14

I don't have any experience with seeing The Rolling Stones with Prince as an opening act, but I do know that I have been a Rolling Stones fan since 1969, and a Prince fan since 1978.

After reading this about the "throwing stuff"; all I know is that there must be a lot of jerks amongst Rolling Stones fans in the USA.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-02-05 18:17 by Chacho.

Date: February 5, 2019 19:01

What Keith had to say after the fact:

“Prince has to find out what it means to be a prince. That’s the trouble with conferring a title on yourself before you’ve proved it.
That was his attitude when he opened for us on the tour, and it was insulting to our audience. You don’t try to knock off the headline like that when you’re playing a Stones [concert].
You’d be much better off just being yourself and protecting that. He’s a prince who thinks he’s a king already. Good luck to him.”

What Keith said in Life:

"An overrated midget."

And a drastic change of tune in his tribute after Prince passed away:

“A unique talent. A true original. So sad, so sudden and, I will add, a great guitar player.We are all going to miss him.”

Date: February 5, 2019 19:51

‘1981: Such was Prince's penchant for raising eyebrows, his fourth album was called Controversy and features subtle song titles such as Sexuality, Do Me Baby and Jack U Off’

We were a crazy crew in MN 1981 ;-)

Keith Richards has the right to change his mind. About anything he wants.

Posted by: grzegorz67 ()
Date: February 5, 2019 19:51

35love
punkfloyd

No offense, this made me laugh.
When I see interviews (2 I remember clearly) of Mick being interviewed 1981-1982 tour times, he seems very happy.
Packed! stadiums at the brim with young people, major cash rolling in, he’s settling down with Jerry, fit as the best fiddle, top of the world.

It was without doubt a very successful tour but I've read that it wasn't particularly profitable. Tours weren't back in those days and bands went on tour to promote records, where the big profits lay. Nowadays, with digital downloads and file sharing, it's the other way around with expensive tickets for most of the big acts.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: February 5, 2019 19:57

Hairball
What Keith had to say after the fact:

“Prince has to find out what it means to be a prince. That’s the trouble with conferring a title on yourself before you’ve proved it.
That was his attitude when he opened for us on the tour, and it was insulting to our audience. You don’t try to knock off the headline like that when you’re playing a Stones [concert].
You’d be much better off just being yourself and protecting that. He’s a prince who thinks he’s a king already. Good luck to him.”

What Keith said in Life:

"An overrated midget."

And a drastic change of tune in his tribute after Prince passed away:

“A unique talent. A true original. So sad, so sudden and, I will add, a great guitar player.We are all going to miss him.”

It seems that when Keith is intimidated by someone's talent he says mean things.

When people talk about the music that the Stones love and then consider their fans, it's a dichotomy: there's no connection between the general fan base of what the Stones love and and have been influenced by.

There's also another factor regarding the treatment of Prince opening for the Stones - rock fans are essentially conservative. Something so different as Prince opening for the Stones was too much for them to handle so they showed themselves.

Date: February 5, 2019 20:17

I think your last point is correct gaslight. As tomk mentioned by above, not many people at that show had ever even heard of Prince or his music at the time - I know I hadn't. Whatever it was he was playing was foreign to most which caused a negative reaction. Yes it was an extreme reaction, but as Prince said himself it eventually calmed down except for one or two haters. As for the entire incident, I don't think it had much to do with racism and/or homophobia as that pitchfork writer claims (doubt she was even there, and she seems to be rewriting history). Maybe there were a few random knuckleheads who had issues, but to say the entire backlash was based on that is a lie - the bottom line was his music really wasn't very good at that show. And to come out dressed in a dress and underwear in front of a conservative classic rock crowd c.81 Stones crowd singing "Jack-U-Off" wasn't what most people were expecting to see.

PS- As for me, I had just turned 18 and this was my first massive outdoor stadium concert with multiple bands so was still quite impressionable. I was content on experiencing it all from start to finish, and what an experience it was. Still ranks near the top of the best concert experiences I've ever had (both shows). For months leading up to it listening to Tattoo You and all things Stones, memories for a lifetime and left an indelible impression.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-02-05 20:29 by Hairball.

Date: February 5, 2019 20:26

“It seems that when Keith is intimidated by someone's talent he says mean things.”
^quote by GLS

Why does your perceived motivation
come from malice?
Have you never had a change of opinion in a person?
1 divorce under my belt says I have.

Date: February 5, 2019 20:31

And oh yes, we ‘knew’ ‘heard’ and were quite aware of Prince b4 ‘Controversy’
Minnesota

Posted by: Midnight Toker ()
Date: February 6, 2019 01:09

LA Coliseum 1981- I was there when Price appeared wearing what looked like a jockstrap and overcoat.He was booed and pelted with food.
A bad moment indeed ,however, Purple Rain was released a few years later.He
went from the outhouse to the penthouse and stayed there.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1876
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home