Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
How to prepare for Stones Concert with concerns of setlist
Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: February 3, 2019 22:25

1. Do not listen to the Stones 3 or 4 months prior to concert.
2. Do not think about songs they should play dating back to the Sixties.
3.If you have tix or lucky tix -just be thankful you are seeing the Stones and deem it a great thing and don't think it will be their last concert as it may be yours.

Please add if list is incomplete. no setlists please.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-02-03 22:59 by Chris Fountain.

Re: How to prepare for Sones Concert before Attending
Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: February 3, 2019 22:36

Good advise, Chris.

Last tour I went without following the concerts prior to the first one I went to (Manchester) at all.
Tough to do.. not reading the posts here or elsewhere or following along via live streams etc.,but I am really glad I did. Made the first concert so much more exciting.. found myself in the pit via a lucky dip with no idea what they've been playing or any of the other details re the tour.
Would highly recommend, I'm going to do it again this tour.

Re: How to prepare for Stones Concert with concerns of setlist
Posted by: TeaAtThree ()
Date: February 4, 2019 06:30

I too plan to follow MisterDDDD's plan. Am attending Chicago 1 and hope to keep my prying eyes off of setlists so that I'm in for a surprise. Most tours I know the setlist -- except when it's early -- 1994 DC, for example.

Wish me luck.

T@3

Posted by: josepi ()
Date: February 4, 2019 08:11

I tried similar tactics for the Lip Code tour. It worked. Good advice Chris! DDDD's advice is great too, but I'm not self-disciplined enough. I don't know how you did it.

Posted by: hockenheim95 ()
Date: February 4, 2019 08:40

I did this several times and it turned out really great. Especially at opening nights I recommened not reading IORR for at least one weak. They always rehearse on the big stage a few days before the first show. It was awesome hearing Mr D. and Play With Fire in Hamburg without expecting it.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: February 4, 2019 12:08

Chris,
Your points 2 and 3 are very sensible ...

...but how the f$%^ do we manage number 1 ? grinning smiley

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: February 4, 2019 14:51

So the logic here is to shut down your cognitive abilities in order not to be disappointed?
Like The Three Monkeys?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-02-04 20:41 by Stoneage.

Date: February 4, 2019 15:07

Stoneage
So the logic here is to shut off your cognitive abilities in order not to be disappointed? Like The Three Monkeys?

Nah.
The logic is to maximize the excitement and enjoyment of an already exciting enjoyable live event.
No disappointment avoidance, as there would be no disappointment either way.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-02-04 15:13 by MisterDDDD.

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: February 4, 2019 16:16

I have a feeling they're going to throw in a few surprises this year. I base this on the positive reviews of songs like She's A Rainbow, Play With Fire, Fool To Cry and Dancing With Mr. D. Maybe they'll even dig deeper once or twice. This is my prediction.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: February 4, 2019 19:35

My personal strategy for the upcoming tour:

Accept the fact that the setlist will be at least 75% - 80% warhorses. Not a complaint as they're mostly great songs hence the reason they have become warhorses - love 'em live..
Accept the fact that it is mostly a nostalgia fest of decades old songs, with maybe a couple of tunes from the past three decades thrown in for good measure.
Accept the fact that any "rarity" might not be that rare, and accept the fact that the song vote is probably bogus.
Continuously wonder if they will play a brand new song or two - whether officially released or not
Accept the fact that the stage set up will be the same since No Filter 1 (a great stage), with a minor change Mick had mentioned (looking forward to it).
Accept the fact they may be joined on stage by a "special" guest, and if so hope it's not cringeworthy.
Accept the fact the they are in their mid-late '70's, and will perform to the best of their ability at this late stage of their careers.
Along those same lines, accept the fact that one or more members might not be at 100%, and if so know for a fact it won't be one of their better shows.
Accept the fact that several key musicians are no longer with the band - easier said than done.
Listen to Stones music as often as I always do (which is not as often as I used to) - it's part of life, and life is short, so why be deprived?
Be amazed that Keith, Mick, and Charlie are original members of the band that started just over a year before I was born all those years ago.
And finally, be grateful they are still rocking and rolling after all these years - when the Stones are on tour in the US, I'll be there.

Countdown is on...92 days until the Glendale show on May 7th- the first of four shows I'll be seeing this tour. It's Only Rock'n'Roll (But I Like It)!

A thrilling time to be a Stones fan!thumbs up

Date: February 4, 2019 20:01

Fastest way to turn the experience into a bummer is to continue right up until showtime to read the near non-stop negativity from a few posters about the band, the set-lists, the age of the music, the age of the musicians, the prices of the tickets, the special guests, the openers, the lack of new music, new music if they do play it, the choice of rarity, the band members no longer with them, the warhorses, the conspiracy song vote theories, the parking, the crowd, the sound, the food, the beer prices , the...

In other words, what's known around here for some, as an average Monday. cool smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-02-04 20:03 by MisterDDDD.

Date: February 4, 2019 20:13

Nothing is perfect, and it's simply a reality - not a bummer by any means.
Might not be for the weakhearted, nor the cheerleaders, but I did say it's "my personal strategy".
After seeing them 56 times since 1981, we all have our personal perspectives and expectations.
I could say "hip hip hooray, everything is great, rah, rah, rah, hip hip hooray", but that would be dishonest.

92 days until Glendale! thumbs up

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-02-04 20:13 by Hairball.

Posted by: Woody24 ()
Date: February 4, 2019 20:55

MisterDDDD
Fastest way to turn the experience into a bummer is to continue right up until showtime to read the near non-stop negativity from a few posters about the band, the set-lists, the age of the music, the age of the musicians, the prices of the tickets, the special guests, the openers, the lack of new music, new music if they do play it, the choice of rarity, the band members no longer with them, the warhorses, the conspiracy song vote theories, the parking, the crowd, the sound, the food, the beer prices , the...

In other words, what's known around here for some, as an average Monday. cool smiley

Couldn’t agree more.

"Take all the pain...It's yours anyway"

Date: February 4, 2019 20:59

Easy to drop <poop emoji> in every thread.
Anyone could.

Being called a "cheer leader" doesn't offend a cheer leader/fan (short for fanatic)
Apparently not the same feeling as being called out on the near non-stop negativity however.

Going to xx amount of shows since xx doesn't somehow make mine or anyone's fandom better than another's.

Excellent real time examples of why staying away from the negativity, if you don't want to get dragged down, is advised, as any post in any thread will likely be countered with it eventually, usually sooner rather than later, as it's a real hobby for some.

Date: February 4, 2019 21:07

Not sure why you're intent on shutting down differing opinions and other peoples experiences - seems a bit closed minded, but that seems to be the way you roll.
If it really bothers you, why even read it? And if you are intent on reading it, why try to shut it down?
And if you were a bit more open minded, you'd see the entire post was flowing with positive vibes along with the reality - or what you perceive as "negativity".
Seems to me there's enough room on this forum for all points of view - not just for those who see everything through rose-tinted glasses.

Stoneage
So the logic here is to shut down your cognitive abilities in order not to be disappointed?
Like The Three Monkeys?

Seems that's the case for some...

Posted by: floodonthepage ()
Date: February 4, 2019 21:21

I would love to go into my shows for this tour unaware of what to expect, but it'll be especially hard this time around...since I'm going to the Chicago shows at the end. Traditionally I love to track the tour, watch streams, etc., but I see the value in trying to shut it out. I just don't think I'll be able to. Alas! I certainly experienced some surprise in '97 when they opened in Chicago, but even then I had been following rehearsals. I can't help it!

Date: February 4, 2019 21:30

MisterDDD
Going to xx amount of shows since xx doesn't somehow make mine or anyone's fandom better than another's.

Obviously not, but the point was to give context as to how I've arrived at my personal strategy of "how to prepare for Stones concerts". Works for me, though clearly other's have their own personal strategies.
That said, avoiding following the tour before seeing a Stones show seems pointless to me as so much is already known at this point, but to each his own.

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: February 4, 2019 21:40

Hairball

Accept the fact that the setlist will be at least 75% - 80% warhorses. Not a complaint as they're mostly great songs hence the reason they have become warhorses - love 'em live..
Accept the fact that it is mostly a nostalgia fest of decades old songs, with maybe a couple of tunes from the past three decades thrown in for good measure.
Accept the fact that any "rarity" might not be that rare, and accept the fact that the song vote is probably bogus.
Continuously wonder if they will play a brand new song or two - whether officially released or not
Accept the fact that the stage set up will be the same since No Filter 1 (a great stage), with a minor change Mick had mentioned (looking forward to it).
Accept the fact they may be joined on stage by a "special" guest, and if so hope it's not cringeworthy.
Accept the fact the they are in their mid-late '70's, and will perform to the best of their ability at this late stage of their careers.
Along those same lines, accept the fact that one or more members might not be at 100%, and if so know for a fact it won't be one of their better shows.
Accept the fact that several key musicians are no longer with the band - easier said than done.
Listen to Stones music as often as I always do (which is not as often as I used to) - it's part of life, and life is short, so why be deprived?
Be amazed that Keith, Mick, and Charlie are original members of the band that started just over a year before I was born all those years ago.
And finally, be grateful they are still rocking and rolling after all these years - when the Stones are on tour in the US, I'll be there.

Countdown is on...92 days until the Glendale show on May 7th- the first of four shows I'll be seeing this tour. It's Only Rock'n'Roll (But I Like It)!

Exactly, we are all human and have different things that motivate us!

Date: February 4, 2019 21:47

BluzDude
Hairball

Exactly, we are all human and have different things that motivate us!

From one huge lifelong diehard fan to another bluzdude - cheers.
And if I see you up in Santa Clara after the show at International House of Pancakes, first round of pancakes is on me. winking smiley

103 days to go until Santa Clara!

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: February 4, 2019 21:53

I’m the opposite. Following the tour here, periscope, utube clips, reading the concert reviews,
Is a blast for me.
I’ve been fortunate enough and tough enough
to get 1 live show per No Filter
Each live show I had no idea what song was coming next, LOL.
Except ‘Satisfaction’
I knew what that meant.

Date: February 4, 2019 23:21

Hairball
Not sure why you're intent on shutting down differing opinions and other peoples

Not at all.
Read the room.
The topic was "How to prepare for Stones Concert with concerns of setlist"
A number of people responded with positive suggestions to the poster's concern.

How the hell "accepting that Bill Wyman is gone" or "Charlie Watts is old" (or pick any number of actual neg quotes from your post) fits into the topic is beyond me, much less how one member might get sick (an obvious jab at jagger from your festering *Vegas wounds) and the show will suck.. fits into advise or related opinion on the topic is absurd.

Plenty of threads to spread that kind of negativity (who am I telling) where it could actually be relevant to the topic. If I ever had to have that much "Acceptance" to enjoy a show for anyone, it wouldn't happen.

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: February 4, 2019 23:39

when i went to the warsaw gig i decided not to expect much. i didnt think it would be a great concert, was hoping for it to be good.

i had early night before, got up early, done a lot of sightseeing, no alcohol, till the pre gig meal, down near the vistula, had a pizza and 2 beers.

got in early, had only 2 beers during the concert, to avoid needless toilet break, and the concert was better than i ever expected, its great watching on youtube knowing i was there.

if i was to prepare for another, i would again just be glad for a good gig, and i wouldnt condemn the setlist, its not that important now although if up to me i would leave out some of the warhorses, leave in midnight rambler, street fighting man and paint it black as they were played well on last tour, also keep like a rolling stone, maybe promote foot to cry and shes a rainbow to all the gigs.

i think the key to enjoying the stones in concert now is not to expect much, or listen to them for weeks before the gig. and to respect their age.

Posted by: CamRS ()
Date: February 5, 2019 00:05

I tend to follow tip #1, but usually limit my Stones break to a couple of weeks prior to the show.

A lot of people give the band flack for the setlists, but I’ve seen them three times and all since 2013 - DC during the 50+ tour, Nashville for Zip Code and Desert Trip weekend one. Out of respect for the original poster’s request, I won’t post the setlists for those concerts, but if you were to look them up and put them side-by-side, you would see that those were pretty different setlists even with the war horses.

This will be my first tour where I’ll be seeing multiple shows. I’ll admit that I’m not expecting much variety between these two shows but 1-I’m okay with that and 2-that’s why I got lucky dip tickets for one of those shows.

I haven’t seen the Stones live that much, but they’re my favorite band and I’m going to keep seeing them while I still can.

-Cam

Date: February 5, 2019 00:23

buttons67
when i went to the warsaw gig i decided not to expect much. i didnt think it would be a great concert, was hoping for it to be good.

i had early night before, got up early, done a lot of sightseeing, no alcohol, till the pre gig meal, down near the vistula, had a pizza and 2 beers.

got in early, had only 2 beers during the concert, to avoid needless toilet break, and the concert was better than i ever expected, its great watching on youtube knowing i was there.

if i was to prepare for another, i would again just be glad for a good gig, and i wouldnt condemn the setlist, its not that important now although if up to me i would leave out some of the warhorses, leave in midnight rambler, street fighting man and paint it black as they were played well on last tour, also keep like a rolling stone, maybe promote foot to cry and shes a rainbow to all the gigs.

i think the key to enjoying the stones in concert now is not to expect much, or listen to them for weeks before the gig. and to respect their age.

It's all about acceptance, and acknowledging where they are at this point in their career - including the good, the bad, and the ugly. No use in denying the reality of it all, and/or playing make believe - as least not for me.
With all that taken in to consideration, any expectations are usually met with great satisfaction, and looking forward to seeing the Rolling Stones again - warts and all. And based on what I saw via youtube, boots, etc., and the various reviews I've read, they've stepped it back up a notch on No Filter I and II since the Desert Trip and *Vegas shows - hoping they continue on that same wave, and I see no reason why they can't.

CamRS
I tend to follow tip #1, but usually limit my Stones break to a couple of weeks prior to the show.

A lot of people give the band flack for the setlists, but I’ve seen them three times and all since 2013 - DC during the 50+ tour, Nashville for Zip Code and Desert Trip weekend one. Out of respect for the original poster’s request, I won’t post the setlists for those concerts, but if you were to look them up and put them side-by-side, you would see that those were pretty different setlists even with the war horses.

This will be my first tour where I’ll be seeing multiple shows. I’ll admit that I’m not expecting much variety between these two shows but 1-I’m okay with that and 2-that’s why I got lucky dip tickets for one of those shows.

I haven’t seen the Stones live that much, but they’re my favorite band and I’m going to keep seeing them while I still can.

-Cam

See them while you can! thumbs up

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-02-05 00:25 by Hairball.

Posted by: Natlanta ()
Date: February 5, 2019 02:22

try some drills:

for 60 seconds think about nothing but elephants.

then for 60 seconds think about anything but elephants.

Date: February 5, 2019 02:35

I step into my car and put on Yaya's..and all my sorrow is gone. Forever.

Posted by: Carnaby ()
Date: February 5, 2019 03:34

Date: February 5, 2019 03:49

Fantastic pic Carnaby, and a reminder to not take it all so seriously!thumbs up

Posted by: stickyfingers101 ()
Date: February 5, 2019 16:09

Chris Fountain
1. Do not listen to the Stones 3 or 4 months prior to concert.
2. Do not think about songs they should play dating back to the Sixties.
3.If you have tix or lucky tix -just be thankful you are seeing the Stones and deem it a great thing and don't think it will be their last concert as it may be yours.

Please add if list is incomplete. no setlists please.

4. Listen to as much Stones as humanly possible and be happy you are going to see them live b/c very soon you won't be able to anymore.

5. Listen to "Happy" a lot and see Point #4

6. Deal w/ the fact that you are not in the Stones and the Stones do whatever they want w/ the Set List.

6. Realize that there is gonna be 3-4 songs you could really "do without" but understand that there's zero you can do about that...so, learn to love them.

7. Play Stones songs and practice your white-guy-in-limited-space dance moves....b/c sitting down at any point in the concert is lame (unless it is the Keef slow-song).

Posted by: rara ()
Date: February 5, 2019 16:26

8. Work on your cardio endurance. Rule of thumb is that you've got to make it across the stadium to the bathrooms and back in rougly under 9 minutes before Miss You ends and the next song comes on.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2035
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home