Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: question regarding the end of the rolling stones
Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: January 31, 2019 12:03

DandelionPowderman
Stoneage
I think they should have quit 20 years ago. But they won't since there is still money to collect. It's the law of supply and demand.
They will go on as long as we are still handing in the money. If age and bad health doesn't come in between.

They enjoy it a bit, too, don't you think? smiling smiley

Perhaps. But I honestly think it's more like going to work for Jagger when he sings JJ Flash for the 1151th time.
Makes me think about that statement about being 40 and still doing Satisfaction on stage...[www.setlist.fm]

Date: January 31, 2019 12:08

Stoneage
DandelionPowderman
Stoneage
I think they should have quit 20 years ago. But they won't since there is still money to collect. It's the law of supply and demand.
They will go on as long as we are still handing in the money. If age and bad health doesn't come in between.

They enjoy it a bit, too, don't you think? smiling smiley

Perhaps. But I honestly think it's more like going to work for Jagger when he sings JJ Flash for the 1151th time.
Makes me think about that statement about being 40 and still doing Satisfaction on stage...[www.setlist.fm]

Sure, but as a musician it's more fun to play songs you actually master than constantly being on the edge - not knowing if it will work on stage. So, at this stage in their career I'm pretty sure they enjoy JJF for the 2000th time more than the first ten attemps on, say, Hand Of Fate (a song that's very easy to fvck up, btw).

Re: The future of The Rolling Stones
Posted by: keithsman ()
Date: January 31, 2019 12:41

buttons67
sorry to post doom and gloom regarding when the band finally end for whatever reason but we all know they wont go on forever, none of us will.

personally i would love to see all the bend members live for another 30 odd years but i really dont want the rolling stones to last this long or even into their mid 80,s.

jagger is 75, would be great to have them tour and record for another 4 years at most if possible, i dont want them to continue with jagger at 80, but if they quit at the end of this tour i would respect the decision whoever made it. also i dont want them to continue after someone dies god forbid, with a replacement and i dont want them to continue if performances are not good,

what do others think, how long would you want them to continue for and for what circumstances would you want them to quit.

In a way i wish they stopped in 2003, the last time Keith was still king on stage, but in another way Mick and Ronnie still deliver live to a descent level, Charlie like Keith is well past his best. But to be honest, with the regurgitated set lists and Micks apparent writers block, i'm past really caring if the Stones continue, because i Know Keith will continue to write. Basically Crosseyed Heart was the best thing to come from any of them in 20 + years since Voodoo Lounge, so i'm looking forward to another solo album or 2 from Keith if he lives long enough.
Hey also i'm hoping the new album Rocks when they finish it, but it's taken so long to complete I've lost interest, i think most of the songs will be Mick orientated with Ronnie helping him out, and Keith will give a few of his songs to the new album and obviously play on most of it and keep his best stuff for another solo album because i get the feeling Keith has lost interest in the Stones for obvious reasons.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-01-31 12:51 by keithsman.

Posted by: RaahenTiikeri ()
Date: January 31, 2019 15:31

I think there Will be couple of surprise coming...
They have done it before..
That "age-thing" is just in our heads..
They were "too old" In their 40's,"too old" In their 50's etc... And no "too old"again. Are we that stupid?They are no fading away That easy. There Will be couple of presidents.. And Sun, the moon and the Rolling Stones.
Sorry my bad english. No That god with languages.

I have A bet with my ex-wife. Im gonna have bottle of" koskenkorva"(Finlandian booze) 2025 because They are STILL ROLLING 2025.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: January 31, 2019 15:38

I'm more worried about the future of IORR when the Stones decide to call it quits as a touring band.

- Doxa

Date: January 31, 2019 15:39

RaahenTiikeri
I think there Will be couple of surprise coming...
They have done it before..
That "age-thing" is just in our heads..
They were "too old" In their 40's,"too old" In their 50's etc... And no "too old"again. Are we that stupid?They are no fading away That easy. There Will be couple of presidents.. And Sun, the moon and the Rolling Stones.
Sorry my bad english. No That god with languages.

I have A bet with my ex-wife. Im gonna have bottle of" koskenkorva"(Finlandian booze) 2025 because They are STILL ROLLING 2025.

Charlie will be 84, then smileys with beer

Posted by: doitywoik ()
Date: January 31, 2019 15:55

buttons67
what do others think, how long would you want them to continue for and for what circumstances would you want them to quit.

Depends on what you understand by continuing. Jimi Hendrix is dead for nearly 50 years but releases more albums than many living artists/groups.

Considering the time they are around (and, consequently, their age) the future of the Stones as an operative outfit (live shows, new recordings) is necessarily smaller than their past. Apart from that obvious fact, there's no telling really because hardly any group/artist made it that long (for comparison, the Beach Boys come to mind, and Chuck Berry).

In view of the fact that Chuck Berry released his last album when he was 90 (yet, I guess it was in the making for decades), their recording career may go on for yet quite a while (although I hope they won't wait until they are 90 before releasing their present work-in-progress ...). Considering Chuck's live shows in his late years, I would rather wish they stop (or severely reduce) performing live before it gets all too embarrasing.

Otherwise, we will find out.

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: January 31, 2019 16:08

Honestly speaking, 22 years ago, when the Stones released B2B and did another massive world tour, how many of you thought there was a chance that they'd still be touring in 20-25 years?

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: January 31, 2019 16:18

Doxa
I'm more worried about the future of IORR when the Stones decide to call it quits as a touring band.

- Doxa

I am sure discussions about "Thoughts on Mick Taylor" or "The New Album of The Stones coming soon" will continue long after the Rolling Stones have called it quits. As I am sure somewhere some guys are still hoping the remaining Beatles will make another album and then go on tour.

Date: January 31, 2019 16:24

matxil
Doxa

- Doxa

I am sure discussions about "Thoughts on Mick Taylor" or "The New Album of The Stones coming soon" will continue long after the Rolling Stones have called it quits. As I am sure somewhere some guys are still hoping the remaining Beatles will make another album and then go on tour.

Not to mention the likely «Next Vault-release»-threads...

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: January 31, 2019 16:33

You mean the "Keith's Front Porch sessions 2029 "

[I've just seen those in my crystal ball ]

Posted by: bam ()
Date: January 31, 2019 16:34

I still think they should do a sit-down theater or arena tour, without the spectacle, without the dancing, and just play the music, with feeling and mastery, like an older generation of bluesmen. I don't see Mick ever agreeing to do that, though. He doesn't seem to think that graceful aging fits the Stones.

Date: January 31, 2019 16:59

84 old drummer IS NOT mission impossible.

Posted by: RG ()
Date: January 31, 2019 17:04

rollmops
As long as they can play and as long as they enjoy doing it, I will follow. Personally I don't care about their ages.

Rockandroll,
Mops

Can't agree more!

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: January 31, 2019 18:56

RG
rollmops
As long as they can play and as long as they enjoy doing it, I will follow. Personally I don't care about their ages.

Rockandroll,
Mops

Can't agree more!

Rightsmileys with beerhot smiley
jeroen

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: January 31, 2019 21:58

keefriff99
Honestly speaking, 22 years ago, when the Stones released B2B and did another massive world tour, how many of you thought there was a chance that they'd still be touring in 20-25 years?

I remember well that me and a bunch of Stones-fan friends were joking on the release of the 25x5 DVD. "Well, off we go to the next 25 years", but non of us seriously believed that a 50x5 DVD would see the light, ever. Not even Bill Wyman, quitting after 30 years, could keep the "5" alive, he for sure also couldn't believe the band would survive that long without him.
so no 50x5 DVD, but the Stones themselves (probably didn't believe it either at the time) are closing in on 60x(5-1)! Sometimes I pinch my skin to make sure I'm not dreaming.

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: January 31, 2019 22:35

when the steel wheels tour and album came out it was my first since i became a fan in 1987, so was excited by the prospect of the stones continuing rather than being a defunct band which was what i thought they were when i first discovered them.

i remember keith saying about the tour, its not the last its only the begining of part 2. i remember thinking hes probably correct about it not being the last, whats the point in getting together to do one last tour when another could be done but regarding his comment about being the begining of part 2 i thought hes not serious about that its just a statement. they might continue for maybe another 7 or 8 years, i thought they would stop well before mick hit 55. but then, theyre touring 30 years after steel wheels. its incredible.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: January 31, 2019 23:16

matxil
Doxa

- Doxa

I wasn't actually thinking that - for sure that sort of discussion surely continues in one form or other - but more of our moderator's motivation to run this place...

- Doxa

Date: January 31, 2019 23:22

RaahenTiikeri

thumbs up

Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: January 31, 2019 23:27

The future's so bright...
cool smiley

Date: January 31, 2019 23:27

Doxa
matxil
Doxa

- Doxa

I wasn't actually thinking that - for sure that sort of discussion surely continues in one form or other - but more of our moderator's motivation to run this place...

- Doxa

As long as he keeps it online it's fine with me. This site is the biggest "about the rolling Stones opinions and facts place" in the world, even if people cannot post anymore.

Posted by: mg72 ()
Date: February 1, 2019 00:16

They'll do this year's tour for sure.
Release new album close to when The Who releases theirs.
Tours from 2020-2022 behind the new album.
I'm sure they'll play until someone can't finish a show.

Date: February 1, 2019 00:36

mg72
They'll do this year's tour for sure.
Release new album close to when The Who releases theirs.
Tours from 2020-2022 behind the new album.
I'm sure they'll play until someone can't finish a show.

Amen

Posted by: Paddy ()
Date: February 1, 2019 01:25

The futures uncertain & the end is always is near.

Posted by: mg72 ()
Date: February 1, 2019 02:00

I think the break between the end of the A Bigger Bang tour and the start of 50th anniversary activity seemed to help.
All those breaks they've taken seem to say that they'll be around for a while.
June 1999-April 2002 & August 2007-August 2012 seem to say they'll be here a while.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: February 1, 2019 06:28

Well..........it's not like they've gotten better the last few years. Live you can't tell one tour from another since 2012, except Keith has regained a bit of his dexterity. 'Blue and Lonesome' was the best Stones release since 1989, maybe earlier. It's the never ending Nostalgia Tour, and it's very successful. No one that goes to Stones concert now expects 'art', or 'danger', or 'energy'. They get the hits, and they better not change up the arrangements, either. It's a long running Broadway musical where they've brought back most of the old cast because it sells tickets. Charlie will quit one day. He'll turn 78 near the beginning of the U.S. Tour. The album is probably their farewell to studio recording, at least Jagger/Richards songs. God knows if they'll try something corny like a Duets album.

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: February 1, 2019 09:32

It'll be Keith...

"Charlie's missed a beat back there..." looks around...

"oh he's gone..."

I HOPE not but...

Rod

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: February 1, 2019 11:34

RaahenTiikeri

It kinda is for concerts during 2 hours or more in huge stadiums all over the world. For a small and cozy jazz/blues club it isn't.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: February 1, 2019 17:29

georgie48
keefriff99

I remember well that me and a bunch of Stones-fan friends were joking on the release of the 25x5 DVD. "Well, off we go to the next 25 years", but non of us seriously believed that a 50x5 DVD would see the light, ever. Not even Bill Wyman, quitting after 30 years, could keep the "5" alive, he for sure also couldn't believe the band would survive that long without him.
so no 50x5 DVD, but the Stones themselves (probably didn't believe it either at the time) are closing in on 60x(5-1)! Sometimes I pinch my skin to make sure I'm not dreaming.

Wouldn't it be 50X4?

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: February 1, 2019 18:12

One realistic view of the future of The Rolling Stones:

- Release more From The Vault live shows, ignoring what people really want
- Release more deluxe reissues, ignoring the unreleased tracks people really want
- Release more greatest hits compilations

There may be a mindset that, Oh the fan base is dying out or whatever, how do we get the young and future generations to whatever.

At this point, what's available is it. It's plenty... but it could be better. Perhaps instead of having so many hits comps that aren't available... it seems really simple.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1242
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home