Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: Anyone seen Van Morrison in Vegas?
Posted by: Shott ()
Date: January 30, 2019 03:47

How was it? Thanks.

Re: OT: Anyone seen Van Morrison in Vegas?
Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: January 30, 2019 06:29

Anybody seen my baby?

ROCKMAN

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: January 30, 2019 15:28

I saw Van Saturday night. He was outstanding. His voice is still amazing & he has a great band. I talked to people who had seen him before & they were pleased. Said he was into it. In some ways he is rather like Dylan. Has new arrangements of old songs & he doesn't talk much (a little more than Bob) to the crowd. I just got home late last night. It was a nice extended weekend in Vegas. Weather was perfect, better than usual for January. I also saw Cirque du Soleil "KA". Most elaborate of the Cirque shows & was worth the effort to go. I stayed at Mandalay Bay & would recommend. I've always liked the hotel & they have upped their game. Some stigma from the shooting. I wonder how long the Michael Jackson show is going to last with recent revelations. They have a big statue of him in the lobbby. Back to Van. Worth the trip to see him. He had been on my musical bucket list & I'm glad I went. paying the piper today...

Posted by: odean73 ()
Date: January 30, 2019 15:38

crholmstrom
I saw Van Saturday night. He was outstanding. His voice is still amazing & he has a great band. I talked to people who had seen him before & they were pleased. Said he was into it. In some ways he is rather like Dylan. Has new arrangements of old songs & he doesn't talk much (a little more than Bob) to the crowd. I just got home late last night. It was a nice extended weekend in Vegas. Weather was perfect, better than usual for January. I also saw Cirque du Soleil "KA". Most elaborate of the Cirque shows & was worth the effort to go. I stayed at Mandalay Bay & would recommend. I've always liked the hotel & they have upped their game. Some stigma from the shooting. I wonder how long the Michael Jackson show is going to last with recent revelations. They have a big statue of him in the lobbby. Back to Van. Worth the trip to see him. He had been on my musical bucket list & I'm glad I went. paying the piper today...

How long is Van on for?

Thinking of going over to Vegas for Easter, my sister is getting married there and is also staying at the Mandalay Bay hotel, it is my sisters favourite hotel.

My point of view its a bit expensive for a 4 day holiday, so 50/50 at the moment. Plus Vegas has never really appealed to me.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: January 30, 2019 17:56

Going tonight.
Looking forward to it!!
Scored a ticket off StubHub for $60.
A “nosebleed” but in the door.
Haven’t been before but it looks like a not a bad seat in the house type of venue.

Went last night to the Beatles Love show.
My fourth time seeing it but had been several years and it was phenomenal!
Much has changed, really excellent show.

Date: January 30, 2019 20:32

odean73
crholmstrom

How long is Van on for?

Thinking of going over to Vegas for Easter, my sister is getting married there and is also staying at the Mandalay Bay hotel, it is my sisters favourite hotel.

My point of view its a bit expensive for a 4 day holiday, so 50/50 at the moment. Plus Vegas has never really appealed to me.

Van was on for 90 minutes, the band a bit longer at the end. They jammed out on "Gloria" after Van left the stage. From what I read, that is pretty typical for these shows. Not a bad seat in the house. Don't know if Van is playing there then. right now he is in the middle of 7 shows spread over 3 weekends basically. Worth noting, Aerosmith is starting their residency at Park MGM in April. That will be spendy but could be fun.

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: January 30, 2019 21:14

Van Morrison doing Vegas.
Wow. Who would have thought that a likely event?

Date: January 30, 2019 22:14

jlowe
Van Morrison doing Vegas.
Wow. Who would have thought that a likely event?

It has to be a nice payday for Van. As he doesn't do big tours really it gives his fans who live in places he doesn't play a chance to go see him. I needed a few days vacation & Van was the primary reason I went to Vegas last weekend. That & it was my birthday. I'm sure Caesars' treat him like a king. I think this is the third mini-residency (I could be off on that but not by much). That room is excellent. The sound is incredible & there are no bad seats, It was built for Celine Dion & they have to have big names when she's not playing. Hence, Elton & Rod doing extended stints there. There are quite a few bands doing similar at different venues down there, successfully. ZZ Top, John Fogerty, Chicago, Billy Idol & Carlos Santana to name a few. A few country & pop types, too. Van must like it, as he keeps coming back. He seemed to be enjoying himself.

Posted by: keefmick ()
Date: January 30, 2019 23:03

I saw Van in Miami for the first time last year. All I can say is if you are a music fan, go! His voice is still excellent and his band is amazing.

Posted by: PaintitBlue ()
Date: January 30, 2019 23:26

I have tix for him at NOLA Jazz fest. Actually added the extra Sunday to my trip in order to get VAN the MAN in....has been on my bucket list for awhile. Van, Crawfish fest - with anders Osbourne and Alvin YoungblooD! Stones day and whatever else we can fit in....gonna be quite a week.

Posted by: daspyknows ()
Date: January 31, 2019 00:25

He plays the SF Bay Area a lot. I have been to a couple. One was amazing, a few ok and one terrible. At $300 plus a ticket for 90 minutes I have had my fill.

Date: January 31, 2019 00:55

daspyknows
He plays the SF Bay Area a lot. I have been to a couple. One was amazing, a few ok and one terrible. At $300 plus a ticket for 90 minutes I have had my fill.

I paid $100 for a balcony seat in Vegas. Not out of line. The same night, Lady Gaga tickets started at $400.

Posted by: timbernardis ()
Date: January 31, 2019 01:46

I was going to go to Vegas partly on business but mainly just to see him. Decided not to go to save my money for the Stones. But he is also on my bucket list. I HEARD him in Leuven/Brussels opening for the Stones on the summer 2007 Euro leg 2 ABB tour. But I was late and had a bit of a walk to get to the venue park grounds and could hear him, but he was done by the time I got in. Damn!!

plexi

Date: January 31, 2019 16:54

Great show last night!

When checking in with my StubHub mobile ticket, was told I had to go speak to Guest Services, thought there was a problem with my ticket but was told they had closed that row, and upgraded me to a ticket on the main floor, dead center, few rows from the stage (!!) Turned out to be a bit of a lucky dip ticket!

Great, great show.
Van was all business.. on at 8 sharp, and played 90 minutes , with his amazing band playing out for another 20 minutes or so.
Highly recommend catching his show if you can.. he puts on a fantastic show.

Posted by: timbernardis ()
Date: January 31, 2019 23:23

MisterDDDD
Great show last night!

When checking in with my StubHub mobile ticket, was told I had to go speak to Guest Services, thought there was a problem with my ticket but was told they had closed that row, and upgraded me to a ticket on the main floor, dead center, few rows from the stage (!!) Turned out to be a bit of a lucky dip ticket!

U bastard MisterDDDD!!

plexi

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: February 1, 2019 00:07

Van the Man is amazing really.
Similar age to Mick and Keith but unlike them still able to come up with new material at regular intervals...and tour.
Of course he doesnt have to deal with a songwriting 'partner of equal ego. But in effect they have songwriting partners (Clifford and Jordan), so that doesnt really explain the lack of creativity.
Maybe Van lives a more 'normal' life...gets his creativity from not just within himself but from his life around him. And if his albums aren't huge sellers, will it bother him?
Somehow I doubt it.
Musician and songwriter first and foremost.
The Stones? : Entertainers (and very good of course).

Date: February 1, 2019 02:24

timbernardis
MisterDDDD
Great show last night!

U bastard MisterDDDD!!

plexi

Right???
spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Turns out that was the only row they closed..
I had debated with myself with buying the row right in front of that one for an extra $12...
That row didn’t get closed cool smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-02-01 02:28 by MisterDDDD.

Posted by: joshbg2k ()
Date: February 1, 2019 06:26

Did they have any interesting merchandise for sale? I’m going next week.

Date: February 1, 2019 08:10

joshbg2k

They had a pretty good selection of tees and cd's, coffee mug, poster...
I wish I would have snagged one of the shirts, but on my way in I had noticed in the "Celine" store next door they had some Morrison merch in the window as well as some from the other stars who do residencies there (Rod, Mariah etc.)..

So after the concert, instead of battling the crowd, I thought I would just come back tomorrow (today) and grab one. Big mistake as they only had two styles there and the mugs which I didn't care for. Poster was very cool, but hard to travel with, so I passed.

Date: February 1, 2019 09:59

MisterDDDD
joshbg2k

They had a pretty good selection of tees and cd's, coffee mug, poster...
I wish I would have snagged one of the shirts, but on my way in I had noticed in the "Celine" store next door they had some Morrison merch in the window as well as some from the other stars who do residencies there (Rod, Mariah etc.)..

So after the concert, instead of battling the crowd, I thought I would just come back tomorrow (today) and grab one. Big mistake as they only had two styles there and the mugs which I didn't care for. Poster was very cool, but hard to travel with, so I passed.

Glad you enjoyed the show too MR DDD. You sure lucked out on the ticket. I was good though in front row of balcony. Nobody standing in front of me. Vegas is brutal if you have mobility issues. Got home late Tuesday & am still hurting from the trip. 1 more day of work then weekend to recharge. Next up: Dimmer Twins (Patterson & Mike from Drive-by Truckers) about a week before the Stones in a tavern here. Hopefully will be in better shape for that.

Date: February 1, 2019 16:44

crholmstrom
Glad you enjoyed the show too MR DDD. You sure lucked out on the ticket. I was good though in front row of balcony. Nobody standing in front of me. Vegas is brutal if you have mobility issues. Got home late Tuesday & am still hurting from the trip. 1 more day of work then weekend to recharge. Next up: Dimmer Twins (Patterson & Mike from Drive-by Truckers) about a week before the Stones in a tavern here. Hopefully will be in better shape for that.

Thanks..
I did get lucky. Glad you had a good seat without obstruction and enjoyed the show as well. Like you said, not a bad seat in the venue and I would have been just fine with my original ticket. Back home as well.. next up for me Bob Seger in Vancouver next Thursday. That Dimmer Twins show sounds good.. at The Tractor?

Date: February 1, 2019 20:00

crholmstrom
odean73
crholmstrom

How long is Van on for?

Van was on for 90 minutes, the band a bit longer at the end. They jammed out on "Gloria" after Van left the stage. From what I read, that is pretty typical for these shows. Not a bad seat in the house. Don't know if Van is playing there then. right now he is in the middle of 7 shows spread over 3 weekends basically. Worth noting, Aerosmith is starting their residency at Park MGM in April. That will be spendy but could be fun.

Thanks.

My mistake, I meant when does he finish his residency?

Posted by: keefmick ()
Date: February 1, 2019 20:38

It's not a residency, it's just a relatively few number of shows. Vanmorrison.com for the details.

Date: February 2, 2019 05:35

keefmick
It's not a residency, it's just a relatively few number of shows. Vanmorrison.com for the details.

7 shows over 3 weekends. he's done it for the past couple of years.

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: February 3, 2019 00:58

He's still in voice. An amazing talent and consistent inspiration musically
and as a writer almost all my life. I was 12 when the Invasion hit,
and somewhere in the first few years after the mania hit,
an older friend turned me on to Them.
When I found out he was the same guy who had Brown Eyed Girl on the radio,
I was so pissed off that I had missed Them , so to speak.
Got both their albums, still listen! and also to Van's live shows
with THEM, some on Youtube.
Recently he played the Agape Church in los angeles for a two song
courtesy appearance, rare for him...during services...
he did into the mystic and he nailed it; i mean with PRESECENCE
as much as vocal facility and timbre, which was ALL there too.
a gift a precious gift of awesome talent.
in my uppermost toppermost.
i admit having lost touch with his latter years content mostly.
But after DOZENS of bought studio albums, and live ones.
in steady release for DECADES that were Good Buys each worth
much more than a Lot more money. to me anyway.
he's like a Wilson Pickett or Ray Charles (his major influence)
i adore Van the Man Morrison in a personal way; he's among
the rarified air of the things i most cherish musiscally.

Date: February 3, 2019 01:16

hopkins

Hopkins, I'm with you. After seeing him live finally a week ago, feel even more like that. Here's a link from the show I saw last Saturday. It's lovely. Even though I wasn't really in good shape physically for the trip (still hurting), it was worth the effort. Glad I went. Hope you like this.

[www.youtube.com]

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: February 3, 2019 03:58

crholmstrom
hopkins

Hopkins, I'm with you. After seeing him live finally a week ago, feel even more like that. Here's a link from the show I saw last Saturday. It's lovely. Even though I wasn't really in good shape physically for the trip (still hurting), it was worth the effort. Glad I went. Hope you like this.

[www.youtube.com]

[www.youtube.com]

well a little ways into the first link i'd venture:
Brilliant. Gorgeous.
if this is him a little road weary, hurtin' and worn, then
I'd call it an absolute triumph.
listening now, Thank you!
yodeling..."HOLD IT RIGHT THERE DON'T MOVE," he barks, then steps back,
takes his hand off of his guitar and points at the lead guitarist.
just lovely; the 'auto-play' went to a 2017 UK live show
"Live At Porchester Hall, London / 2017" ...
before i could get to the 2nd link, and his latter day chops are Supreme.
an entire huge bouquet...thanks

Date: February 3, 2019 09:07

hopkins
crholmstrom
hopkins

[www.youtube.com]

[www.youtube.com]

well a little ways into the first link i'd venture:
Brilliant. Gorgeous.
if this is him a little road weary, hurtin' and worn, then
I'd call it an absolute triumph.
listening now, Thank you!
yodeling..."HOLD IT RIGHT THERE DON'T MOVE," he barks, then steps back,
takes his hand off of his guitar and points at the lead guitarist.
just lovely; the 'auto-play' went to a 2017 UK live show
"Live At Porchester Hall, London / 2017" ...
before i could get to the 2nd link, and his latter day chops are Supreme.
an entire huge bouquet...thanks

sorry i put same link twice.if you go to the guy who posted on youtube, there are 3 more songs. i really love "vanlose stairway" though.

Date: February 3, 2019 13:36

crholmstrom
keefmick

7 shows over 3 weekends. he's done it for the past couple of years.

Thanks for the info.

I have seen him a couple of times, great voice.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1765
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home