Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 6 of 7
Re: Is "Wandering Spirit" Mick's best Solo album: Inspired by Rockman discussing "Sweet Thing"
Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: February 2, 2019 01:56

Not sure what the credits on the actual full album says, but here's a pic of the 7" single sleeve found via google search:

Re: Is "Wandering Spirit" Mick's best Solo album: Inspired by Rockman discussing "Sweet Thing"
Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: February 2, 2019 02:01

State of Shock, with M Jagger, live, 1985: [www.youtube.com]

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: February 2, 2019 02:04

Make all the distinctions you want, but predatory child sexual abuse is evil.
Period.

I hope this FAILS
What’s next for the Jackson estate?

“Don’t Stop ’Til You Get Enough,” a musical based on the years leading up to Jackson’s 1992 Dangerous tour, is expected to start in late October in Chicago with an aim to hit Broadway in 2020. The show is produced by the Michael Jackson Estate and Columbia Live Stage, and features a book written by the two-time Pulitzer winner Lynn Nottage.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: February 2, 2019 02:07

I agree with you, 35love. Don't worry.

Date: February 2, 2019 02:11

Pretty sure most everybody in their right mind would agree with that.

Date: February 2, 2019 02:14

Stoneage
State of Shock, with M Jagger, live, 1985: [www.youtube.com]

Seemed odd they would choose a Jackson tune to showcase in front of a worldwide audience, and it wasn't even a good renditon.
They also did It's Only Rock and Roll, but again not the best version...Tina was hot though!

Date: February 2, 2019 02:25

Stoneage
I agree with you, 35love. Don't worry.

I’m glad/ I knew that, but this topic can flame me. Sorry.
I will not support that company any further. I turn the radio station. I am that serious. Dead.to.me

Good grief.

Sure, I’ll take more Mick solo. Is that what the subject is? It’s ‘Wandering Spirit’ ? Didn’t we pound on it enough in previous Jagger solo works thread?

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: February 2, 2019 02:26

I don't know, it was a hit single for his new label and was his first hit away from the Stones. It makes sense to do that, "Just Another Night," and "Lonely at the Top." He didn't really do "It's Only Rock'n' Roll" since it's only the chorus and what the Hall & Oates band is playing sounds nothing like the song.

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: February 2, 2019 02:29

Hairball
Never liked much of anything from Michael Jackson after Thriller, and to say I was ever a "fan" would be a stretch (except for that Jackson 5 album I bought when I was 7 ).
After Thriller, he continuously morphed into something very odd - musically, mentally, and physically, and the weirdness reached a creepy point with all the accusations, etc.
That said, there's lots of good music from him and his brothers up to Thriller, and can listen to that stuff without thinking about the freak show he eventually became.
Yeah, same here.

I've actually listened to MJ more over the last six months than I ever have before. His drummer, Jonathan "Sugerfoot" Moffett did a bunch of play-through videos to MJ's songs for Drumeo, and watching them got me in the mood to re-visit those old hits.

He really was something else...everything up to Thriller, and some songs on Bad, are just amazing works of pop art. Everything about him is just plain tragic and sick now.

Date: February 2, 2019 02:32

Rocky Dijon
I don't know, it was a hit single for his new label and was his first hit away from the Stones. It makes sense to do that, "Just Another Night," and "Lonely at the Top." He didn't really do "It's Only Rock'n' Roll" since it's only the chorus and what the Hall & Oates band is playing sounds nothing like the song.

Makes sense then Rocky, just think it's odd since Mick had no hand in the writing of it.
Imagine it might have been better if it was Tina Turner and Michael Jackson singing it, but Jacko was a no-show at Live Aid for some reason.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-02-02 02:33 by Hairball.

Date: February 2, 2019 02:36

I don’t eat Subway sandwiches anymore either. Nope. Dead to me.

Date: February 2, 2019 02:39

keefriff99
Hairball
Never liked much of anything from Michael Jackson after Thriller, and to say I was ever a "fan" would be a stretch (except for that Jackson 5 album I bought when I was 7 ).
After Thriller, he continuously morphed into something very odd - musically, mentally, and physically, and the weirdness reached a creepy point with all the accusations, etc.
That said, there's lots of good music from him and his brothers up to Thriller, and can listen to that stuff without thinking about the freak show he eventually became.
Yeah, same here.

I've actually listened to MJ more over the last six months than I ever have before. His drummer, Jonathan "Sugerfoot" Moffett did a bunch of play-through videos to MJ's songs for Drumeo, and watching them got me in the mood to re-visit those old hits.

He really was something else...everything up to Thriller, and some songs on Bad, are just amazing works of pop art. Everything about him is just plain tragic and sick now.

Yeah forgot about Bad and there were a few decent bits on that, but the most I remember from it is Weird Al Yankovic's Fat which spoofed both the tune and video:

"Weird Al" Yankovic - Fat (Official Music Video)
'

Date: February 2, 2019 02:54

Haha, "Fat" and "Eat It".

Weird Al...what a career that guy has had. Truly a gifted and clever satirist.

Who would have thought he'd still be a huge draw and actually relevant 40 years later? He's doing a tour this summer with a full symphony orchestra.

Date: February 2, 2019 06:52

Weird Al did a tour last year of the sort that a true fan would love any artist to do. It was his (and yes, this is the actual tour title):

"The 2018 North American small venue, back to basics, stripped-down, nothing fancy, theatrics-free, no video, no costumes, no props, no frills whatsoever, non-extravaganza, sorta kinda unplugged-ish, bare bones production, taking it down a notch, super casual, low energy, old guys sitting on stools just hanging out on stage, pulling out none of the stops, trying not to work up a sweat, fun for us - maybe not so much for you, none of the songs you really want to hear, all of the songs you usually skip over, obscure original tunes, deep cuts and b-sides, no hits - all filler, lowered expectations, let's just see what happens, this might really suck, crowd-disappointing, audience-baffling, limited commercial appeal, ridiculously self-indulgent, ill-advised vanity tour"

Here's the T-shirt: [www.dabbapparel.com]

My kids went and loved it.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: February 2, 2019 11:49

Blame it on da Booogie …………………………………

ROCKMAN

Posted by: slew ()
Date: February 2, 2019 15:46

Wandering Spirit is the only album Jagger has done without the Stones that has any value. It must gall him that Keith has three solid solo albums.

Date: February 2, 2019 16:08

The title of this thread is confusing...isn't Wandering Spirit the ONLY right answer here?

Date: February 2, 2019 16:12

keefriff99
The title of this thread is confusing...isn't Wandering Spirit the ONLY right answer here?

I'd lean toward yes or no being the correct answer winking smiley

Date: February 2, 2019 16:18

DandelionPowderman
keefriff99

I'd lean toward yes or no being the correct answer winking smiley
LOL, well what's the alternative? Most of his other solo albums have been slagged pretty hard here. I'd say almost everyone here would agree that WS is his best effort.

Date: February 2, 2019 17:14

slew
Wandering Spirit is the only album Jagger has done without the Stones that has any value. It must gall him that Keith has three solid solo albums.

Yes, I imagine Mick wishes his first solo album could have earned a gold record like Keith's did instead of that lousy platinum record SHE'S THE BOSS earned or that he could have peaked at no. 99 on the charts like MAIN OFFENDER instead of being stuck at no. 12 with WANDERING SPIRIT when they released albums just a few months apart.

Are they competitive? Of course they are. If it galled him, he wouldn't have sung "Almost Hear You Sigh" or "One More Shot" or agreed to work with Sarah Dash on STEEL WHEELS, Don Smith and Ivan Neville on VOODOO LOUNGE, or Waddy on BRIDGES TO BABYLON. Likewise, Keith wouldn't have agreed to work with Bernard or Matt Clifford or taken on Pierre (who was Jimmy Rip's guitar tech on Mick's solo tour) nor would he have shared a stage with Jimmy Rip or recorded with him over the years as Keith has done. I try not to confuse public Keith with reality. Public Keith gives great soundbites. They're often caricatures of reality. He's the snarling rocker who calls the album DOGSHIT IN THE DOORWAY when friends (as in the Winos) who were friendly with Doug Wimbish told him to let Mick know he really liked some of PRIMITIVE COOL and thought it was a good direction.

Ever see the photo that Mick's cook later published of Mick and Keith together for dinner at Mick's place in 1992 when they were both working on separate solo albums? Ever think about Keith bringing the family to Antigua over the holidays in late 1990 because Mick invited him? Ever think about Keith inviting Mick and his family to Turks and Caicos in September 1996 for Labor Day weekend? They actually do socialize. Are there petty jealousies and resentments between them? Sure. They also learned long ago that in show business, you earn the maximum money up front by making each profitable collaboration look precarious because your truce is fragile. That also feeds the media machine and gives people something to read about it in gossip columns, puff pieces in Rolling Stone masquerading as serious journalism, and for nut cases like us who devote hours each day to a message board.

Don't believe the image every time and don't project too much. Public relations is a product. The machine is fed from both ends.

Date: February 2, 2019 18:15

:-)and for nut cases like us who devote hours each day to a message board.^Rocky Dijon

Ya not hours a day, but a lot I am checking my wandering spirit to see what The Rolling Stones are up to, my favorite band since I first heard ‘Emotional Rescue’
woo hoo hoo hoo hoo, woo hoo hoo hoo
TOURING 3 MONTHS >grinning smiley<

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-02-02 18:18 by 35love.

Posted by: JJHMick ()
Date: February 2, 2019 18:15

Slide On, Wandering Offender would have been the Stones album between Steel Wheels and Voodoo Lounge.
If you consider the most featured songs of the time by Mick and Keith (plus the then Ronnie one) the Never Released Stones-Long-Player might have been like this.

999 (5.50)
Wicked As It Seems (4.45)
Eileen (4.26)
Angel In My Heart (3.21)
Wandering Spirit (4.16)
Bodytalks (5.18)
Somebody Else Might (4.54)
Sweet Thing (4.34)
Out Of Focus (4.31)
Don't Tear Me Up (4.10)
Will But You Won’t (5.04)
Mother Of A Man (4.17)

Singles:
Sweet Thing
Don’t Tear Me Up

Add. B-side
Put Me In The Trash
Words of Wonder

Record it and enjoy!

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: February 2, 2019 18:52

JJHMick
Slide On, Wandering Offender would have been the Stones album between Steel Wheels and Voodoo Lounge.
If you consider the most featured songs of the time by Mick and Keith (plus the then Ronnie one) the Never Released Stones-Long-Player might have been like this.

999 (5.50)
Wicked As It Seems (4.45)
Eileen (4.26)
Angel In My Heart (3.21)
Wandering Spirit (4.16)
Bodytalks (5.18)
Somebody Else Might (4.54)
Sweet Thing (4.34)
Out Of Focus (4.31)
Don't Tear Me Up (4.10)
Will But You Won’t (5.04)
Mother Of A Man (4.17)

Singles:
Sweet Thing
Don’t Tear Me Up

Add. B-side
Put Me In The Trash
Words of Wonder

Record it and enjoy!

Well done thumbs up...but i prefer these songs:

1. Wicked as it seems
2. Wired all night
3. Hang on to me tonight
4. Eileen
5. Don't tear me up
6. Will but you don't
7. Knock your teeht out
8. Breathe on me (remake)
9. Wandering Spirit
10. 999

Date: February 2, 2019 18:58

1. Wicked As It Seems
2. Sweet Thing
3. Ragtime Annie (Lilly's Bordello)
4. Hate It When You Leave
5. Evening Gown
6. This Ain't Rock'n'Roll
7. Words Of Wonder
8. Don't Tear Me Up
9. Wired All Night
10. Always Wanted More

Date: February 2, 2019 19:26

I'd rather own SLIDE ON THIS, MAIN OFFENDER, and WANDERING SPIRIT.

Date: February 2, 2019 20:20

Rocky Dijon

Me too, but you gotta admit I made a decent "Best Of"...

Posted by: JJHMick ()
Date: February 2, 2019 20:42

Rocky Dijon

This is, of course, the correct answer, especially as at the time all Stones (Charlie had done Charlie Parker and Warm & Tender and, if you like, count in the just left Bill with "Stuff"...) members were doing solo records. It qould have been a wonderful start for all to establish solo work. That opportunity was missed. Sad.
The criteria for the above is not about (my) taste but rather matter of fact. I made up scores for release as a single (don't forget, a b-side was sold as often as an a-side...), played live on tv, in concert, video done.
I was recentyl writing here a similar mixture of Dirty Work and She'sa The Boss making the mid-80s Stones long player. Though DW means an existing Stones record but it is pretty much a Keith dominated thing.
Something similar is combining Primitive Cool with Talk Is Cheap.
I have done ("burned") CDs and taped cassettes with those combnations - it gives a fresh listening!
P.S. Lilly's Bordello is a fine contribution to me too...

Posted by: Bjorn ()
Date: February 2, 2019 20:59

Bodytalks...not even a B-side...

Date: February 2, 2019 21:54

Rockman

Blame it on da Booogie …………………………………

Blame it on da Booogie ...and the pastel polyester...grinning smiley

Date: February 3, 2019 03:01

Great photo of the Jackson Five. Thanks, Rockman.

Charles Baudelaire
1821-1869

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 6 of 7

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1995
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home