Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 2 of 7
Re: Is "Wandering Spirit" Mick's best Solo album: Inspired by Rockman discussing "Sweet Thing"
Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: January 28, 2019 16:21

When experiencing them Live, it shows how great the songs are !

[youtu.be]

Rockandroll,
Mops

Re: Is "Wandering Spirit" Mick's best Solo album: Inspired by Rockman discussing "Sweet Thing"
Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: January 28, 2019 16:27

I wish Sweet thing was saved for VL. Live, it is absolutely smokin'. Imagine how good it would have been with rest of the Stones playing on it when they took it out on the road.

Date: January 28, 2019 16:56

ryanpow
I wish Sweet thing was saved for VL. Live, it is absolutely smokin'. Imagine how good it would have been with rest of the Stones playing on it when they took it out on the road.

Mick tried to make a bluesy «part II» for VL winking smiley

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: January 28, 2019 17:06

Pondering which Mick/Keith/Ronnie solo album songs may have suited the band, [and could have made killer Stones numbers] might make for quite an interesting thread .

Date: January 28, 2019 17:09

Spud
Pondering which Mick/Keith/Ronnie solo album songs may have suited the band, [and could have made killer Stones numbers] might make for quite an interesting thread .

Obviously, this one would be pretty high on that list smiling smiley

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: January 28, 2019 18:15

It's a really good album, but I agree w/ some that Stones members have had better, meaning Ronnie & Keith. Not a solo album but Superheavy is pretty kick ass, and it comes close to Wandering Spirit.

Mick's worst? Easily Dog-excrement in the Doorway.

Posted by: floodonthepage ()
Date: January 28, 2019 18:53

For me, all of Keith's albums are better than any of Mick's. "Wandering Spirit" initially felt like a very good album, but as time has passed, it now seems thin. The soul is lacking with Jimmy Ripp, et al., whereas Keith's overall sound on his albums has proven more sustaining for me. That said, yes..in my opinion..."Wandering Spirit" is his best solo album, but that isn't saying much. I'd never heard the entire "Alfie" Soundtrack before today (I just streamed it). I thought it was really good, don't know how it escaped me upon it's release. I've previously only heard "Old Habits Die Hard".

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-01-29 20:01 by floodonthepage.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: January 28, 2019 19:10

I love "Sweet Thing" on the album or live. I didn't care for the remixes. I think WANDERING SPIRIT is a brilliant album and the only Mick album with a very good band. Curt Bisquera is a little too slow for my taste, but Jimmy Rip is brilliant on the album. I rank the album alongside Keith's first two albums and Ronnie's first five albums as being as good as the Stones during the same period.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: January 28, 2019 20:27

I understand why Jagger did one solo album. But not four. Neither of them the were big successes. Not then, not now. More like side projects.

Posted by: harlem shuffle ()
Date: January 28, 2019 20:38

Best soloalbum by any of the Stones.Reel party album with very good songs

Date: January 28, 2019 20:43

It gives Mick a chance to have complete control and not have to collaborate or compromise with Keith and be free of the weight of a band. Even with tepid sales, he is still the most commercially successful Stone as one would expect. After the first one, expectations were lowered and that probably also is a relief to an extent. While it seemed like a threat when his solo career started, in the end it just allowed Mick another outlet for creativity.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: January 28, 2019 20:43

rollmops

[youtu.be]

Rockandroll,
Mops

I forgot how good that was. It's interesting he did nothing but new solo material, ignored his first 2 albums. That says something.

WANDERING SPIRIT is easily his best solo album.

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: January 28, 2019 20:59

GasLightStreet
rollmops

[youtu.be]

Rockandroll,
Mops

I forgot how good that was. It's interesting he did nothing but new solo material, ignored his first 2 albums. That says something.

WANDERING SPIRIT is easily his best solo album.

That night they covered brillantly "Have you seen your Mother,baby?" a quite obscure & great RS #.

Also the best ever add-lib by Mick : at 58:00 Mick comes with the astonishingly funny forshadowing(it's 1994) "HillaryClinton gimme blow job". Fast forward to 1997 and dicksucking and Clinton was to become the political craze association!

Rockandroll,
Mops

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: January 29, 2019 00:01

GasLightStreet
rollmops

[youtu.be]

Rockandroll,
Mops

I forgot how good that was. It's interesting he did nothing but new solo material, ignored his first 2 albums. That says something...

Not really, it was a one-off show, specifically as a promo for just this album, he wasn't touring.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: January 29, 2019 00:27

floodonthepage
For me, all of Keith's albums are better than any of Mick's. "Wandering Spirit" initially felt like a very good album, but as time has passed, it now seems thin. The soul is lacking with Jimmy Ripp, et al., whereas Keith's overall sound on his albums has proven more sustaining for me.

I never could get on that Mick solo bandwagon as most of it seemed contrived and artificial. Bought 'em, and tried to like 'em, but for the most part it just wasn't happening.
Still have Primitive Cool on cassette, and just by looking at it I cringe.

Posted by: Midnight Toker ()
Date: January 29, 2019 00:54

Primitive Cool is MJ's best IMO.

Posted by: jahisnotdead ()
Date: January 29, 2019 01:01

I love Wandering Spirit. The whole album is good and the title track is FANTASTIC. The Stones really should have done that one. And Sweet Thing is an outstandingly funky number. I feel bad for fans that can't get a charge out of this album.

It's very well-sequenced, too. Wired All Night is a great way to get warmed up. Sweet Thing does a perfect job of shifting into the next gear. The cover songs are placed just right and give the album a satisfying sense of variety while fitting in nicely with the originals.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: January 29, 2019 01:10

So, everyone loves this album? Now? Seems like people's opinions changes with the wind. I remember when I posted this Webster Hall gig
first and everyone complained how awful it was and how pathetic the band was...

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: January 29, 2019 01:18

As I tell folks all da time ….

Play six times before you listen ….

ROCKMAN

Posted by: jahisnotdead ()
Date: January 29, 2019 01:26

Primitive Cool is the only one of Mick's solo albums I found unlistenable, but I haven't heard it in years and I plan to give it another spin soon. I'll try to keep an open mind. I'd love to love it.

I liked Superheavy, but I'm sure that opinion isn't popular. I seem to remember nothing but scorching scorn for that project, but I didn't feel that way. I truly enjoyed many of the tracks and appreciated the musical adventurism, even if it didn't always work.

I didn't hate Goddess In The Doorway, but it's a big step down from Wandering Spirit and doesn't hang together the way Wandering Spirit does. I can play WS straight through and enjoy it thoroughly, while with GITD I always had to make a shorter mix tape version to make it enjoyable. And it sort of sucks that the very best song "Blue" was only released as a b side. What's up with that?

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: January 29, 2019 01:36

I also liked some of Superheavy. I remember the first single Miracle Worker was played all the time on the radio while I was in Hawaii for an extended stay.
Lots of reggae vibes happening over there, and they seemed to latch on to it - especially given the fact that Damian Marley was on it.

Posted by: Kennedy ()
Date: January 29, 2019 01:43

Not only is it his best solo album...it his his best album, period...with or without the Stones...since Some Girls.

Flame away.

Date: January 29, 2019 01:54

I really like PRIMITIVE COOL. It's the other solo album of Mick's that I think stands up, for the most part. There's a couple songs each on SHE'S THE BOSS, GODDESS IN THE DOORWAY, and ALFIE that are also very good.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: January 29, 2019 02:56

Personally WANDERING SPIRIT is not my favourite Mick album (I actually find both his 80's albums more interesting), but still it is the best of them. To me it is an album Jagger showing he can make a Stones-type album by his own (I guess we can thank Rubin for that), which I find a bit dull idea. But he made it so damn good that how can I resist? It was actually stylistically so Stones-like that the next Stones album, VOODOO LOUNGE, sounded rather weak effort compared to it.

The difference between WANDERING SPIRIT and VOODOO LOUNGE could be set: they both cover styles the Stones have mastered in the past, but inwhereas VOODOO LOUNGE ends up the band copying themselves, trying to sound like they once did while playing a particular musical genre (they do that by instinct), WANDERING SPIRIT doesn't copy anything but goes directly reformulate new interprations of different musical genres. That is possible because Jagger is surrounded by different people who are not bounded by the Stones history and experience and 'typical sound'. That's why WANDERING SPIRIT sounds much more original, as VOODOO LOUNGE is basically 'Stones-by-numbers'. What VOODOO LOUNGE has, but WANDERING SPIRIT has not, is a typical and architype Stones sound, but I don't think that compansates the lack of true inspiration and focus. And better songs (usually those two go hand in hand).

That said, that of rating WANDERING SPIRIT better than VOODOO LOUNGE would not mean that I would rank the album very high in a Stones catalogue. I guess the usual 'best since TATTOO YOU' would do. With Keith's TALK IS CHEAP.

Interesting that Webster Hall concert. A kind of extraordinary concept for Jagger - to play the whole, just released album live, and just for once. A reminder that if it would not be so much for the very big bugs he can make with the Stones tours but just more for the sake of art, he might do/have done more things like that. I like the version of "Have You Seen Your Mother, Baby?". Reminds me of the hectic shows of the mid 60's, reaching an energy level his proper band can only dream of (for some reason he hasn't tried that one with the Stones despite playing it regularly already in his 1988 tour).

- Doxa

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: January 29, 2019 04:16

Yeah, I think Wandering Spirit is a damn fine disc all the way around...it's the only Jagger solo effort though that I could sit thru more than once.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-01-29 04:16 by scottkeef.

Date: January 29, 2019 06:04

LeonidP
GasLightStreet
rollmops

[youtu.be]

Rockandroll,
Mops

I forgot how good that was. It's interesting he did nothing but new solo material, ignored his first 2 albums. That says something...

Not really, it was a one-off show, specifically as a promo for just this album, he wasn't touring.

Well, instead of playing those Stones songs at the end he could've done Just Another Night, Lucky In Love and Throwaway. He didn't need to do any Stones songs - no one paid to get in.

It may seem odd but I find it very interesting that he went from the cranked up Wired All Night to Out Of Focus. Quite a jarring difference.

Date: January 29, 2019 06:10

jahisnotdead
Primitive Cool is the only one of Mick's solo albums I found unlistenable, but I haven't heard it in years and I plan to give it another spin soon. I'll try to keep an open mind. I'd love to love it.

I liked Superheavy, but I'm sure that opinion isn't popular. I seem to remember nothing but scorching scorn for that project, but I didn't feel that way. I truly enjoyed many of the tracks and appreciated the musical adventurism, even if it didn't always work.

I didn't hate Goddess In The Doorway, but it's a big step down from Wandering Spirit and doesn't hang together the way Wandering Spirit does. I can play WS straight through and enjoy it thoroughly, while with GITD I always had to make a shorter mix tape version to make it enjoyable. And it sort of sucks that the very best song "Blue" was only released as a b side. What's up with that?

It didn't fit the album.

It's a shame. I do like some of GITD but it's the same effort as listening to SHE'S THE BOSS, there are just a few that are listenable.

Blue is supposedly the last thing he recorded for GITD. Perhaps that's why it's so good... and doesn't fit. Would've fit just fine on WANDERING SPIRIT.

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: January 29, 2019 08:37

I can’t listen to Mick or Keith’s solo albums without this frustration of
“ there’s the Stones song” and “ that was a hit that got lost “
I think you guys mentioned it about Sweet Thing,that was a perfect Stones single that would’ve followed in the dance/funk footsteps of Miss You and Emotional Rescue.Now it’s a forgotten song on a forgotten album.
It’s to the point of almost hindering my enjoyment of their music.
It’s funny Keith called Micks track Dogshit in the Doorway because it”s another one that would’ve been a great Stones song,a hauntingly beautiful song along with Dancing in the Starlight.
But they are lost forever,the only two good songs on a waste of time album.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: January 29, 2019 09:21

Yep that's true lem ….. ^^^^^^^^^^^^

ROCKMAN

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: January 29, 2019 10:20

Stoneage
So, everyone loves this album? Now? Seems like people's opinions changes with the wind. I remember when I posted this Webster Hall gig
first and everyone complained how awful it was and how pathetic the band was...

Well, no, clearly not everyone, if you would have read all reactions. I don't, for one.
But I think it was always received as a very good album, right from the start. Both from reviewers as from Stones-oriented people as from people who weren't much into the Stones but liked "rock". I had a room-mate at that time who loved the album.

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 2 of 7

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1710
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home