Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4
OT: Bands whose stature has grown (or lessened) over time
Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: January 28, 2019 02:59

Grown:

Queen - some even think Freddie was as good a front man as Mick - blasphemy

Tom Petty - good solid rocker, but broke no new ground

Faded:

Three Dog Night - many great songs (they or the record company chose wisely). Were comparable to CCR at one time, now rarely mentioned.

Elvis - considered a joke by many

Beatles - Their influence cannot be overstated

To be decided:

The Rolling Stones

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-07-29 00:42 by bv.

Re: Bands whose stature has grown (or lessened) over time
Posted by: Pietro ()
Date: January 28, 2019 03:21

Elmo Lewis
Faded:

Elvis - considered a joke by many

Elvis isn't considered a joke by anybody who knows anything about rock. True, the later Elvis was a pathetic creature, but the same (one could argue) can be said about the band to which this website is devoted.

As for Queen, the movie has created a buzz around the band, but the campiness quotient there is too high. Queen is a very good joke, in my very humble opinion.

I sometimes ask myself what music from our era will people listen to in a hundred years. It's hard to say, but America's black music will still be going strong. We're still listening to Louie Armstrong a hundred years later. The stuff is infectious. The Rolling Stones know it as well as anybody. They made a career out of borrowing from it.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: January 28, 2019 03:50

The Beatles still win nearly every single poll about music - don't think they'll ever fade.
Elvis will never fade, and will probably be remembered beyond both the Beatles and Stones.
Queen will always be Queen to me - some great songs, but never a huge fan and nowhere near the Beatles legacy.
Tom Petty - same as above.
There are alot of "Three Dog Night" type bands still around - some playing oldies at County fairs and hanging by a thread.

Pietro
"...the later Elvis was a pathetic creature, but the same (one could argue) can be said about the band to which this website is devoted".

True about Elvis in his later years, though I never thought that about the Stones. But without a new album of original material in 14 years, and live concerts w/95% of the setlist over 40 years old, kind of makes you wonder.
At least none of them have ballooned into blimps, and as far as I know none of them eat fried peanut butter and bacon sandwiches while sitting on the toilet.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-01-28 03:51 by Hairball.

Posted by: Shawn20 ()
Date: January 28, 2019 04:00

Three Dog Night was never considered a cool band - even in their salad days. But damn, they had some great songs and their harmonies were tight. I'm a fan!!

Posted by: TKinOH ()
Date: January 28, 2019 04:01

I've always felt like The Stones are taken for granted... they've literally always been there for anyone under the age of 55 or 60, whether they liked them or not. A working band with personalities that are globally known and recognized, and folks don't have to think twice about them, they're "still" here!

When the painfully inevitable happens, and The Stones no longer work, I feel like only then will folks be able to put this band, and their monumental career and longevity, into some proper perspective...

Posted by: babyblue ()
Date: January 28, 2019 05:40

Shawn20
Three Dog Night was never considered a cool band - even in their salad days. But damn, they had some great songs and their harmonies were tight. I'm a fan!![/quot

I agree!

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: January 28, 2019 06:01

Gained:
Jimi Hendrix
Joe Cocker
Van Morrison *seeing him wed. in vegas!
Queen
Paul McCartney
Bob Dylan
Beatles
Rolling Stones

Faded:
Elvis
Chuck Berry
The Who
Aerosmith
Led Zeppelin

The Rolling Stones stature has clearly grown over time.. the only question left is whether it will continue to rise and for how long. Can't see it not, really.
They're playing on house money as it is, everything else is gravy.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-01-28 06:08 by MisterDDDD.

Posted by: tomk ()
Date: January 28, 2019 07:07

The band Journey's stature has skyrocketed, more than I ever thought. Every dumb Millennial knows that stuff, and loves it.
The Beatles will always be there, on top.
Zeppelin, too.
As for the Stones, I think the general public doesn't care what they do anymore, and it's been that way for quite a while. Sell out a stadium, yeah, but besides us, nobody cares what whey do anymore.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: January 28, 2019 07:13

Led Zeppelin's status continues to grow. Classic rock stations have twofers of Zeppelin every week that are promoted as such - hardly anyone else. Some stations even bill themselves as the home of Zeppelin.

Of course, that's just radio.

At some point, which has already started, in which record sales will be a moot point, it will be all about streaming. If Maroon 5 has a song out and it gets 87 million streams and Led Zepplin's biggest song, stream wise, is only at 52 million, well, obviously there is a "of the moment" going on and historically, at some point, Led Zeppelin will be viewed as... and so on; Pink Floyd, The Who, The Rolling Stones, The Beatles, AC/DC. Consistency will win out in terms of what one might look at as popularity due to good songs rather than the moment.

At some point streaming will give way to... and so on. It's probably easy to say a lot of this kind of stuff will be history, and it will be recognized on certain websites and in college courses, and by the time cable TV is gone, the same aspect of the importance of the history of rock music will be too, with everything from U2 making the most money and attendance for a tour and whoever sold the most records and whoever had the highest selling hits album and best selling double album and on and on and on... won't matter, it will all be a "So what?" for generations to come.

Good songs are good songs though.

Posted by: SKILLS ()
Date: January 28, 2019 09:50

AC/DC were climbing after the Grammy appearance in 2015, but now without Malcolm and Brian i believe it's over.....

unless...

They recruit Sebastian Bach, it's all in his range, he still looks great, has a couple of his bands songs that could be interesting with Angus propelling them and has Sex appeal for the ladies of AC/DC Fandom, Dudes respect and he can rock.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-01-28 09:52 by SKILLS.

Date: January 28, 2019 10:21

SKILLS
AC/DC were climbing after the Grammy appearance in 2015, but now without Malcolm and Brian i believe it's over.....

unless...

They recruit Sebastian Bach, it's all in his range, he still looks great, has a couple of his bands songs that could be interesting with Angus propelling them and has Sex appeal for the ladies of AC/DC Fandom, Dudes respect and he can rock.

Brian is back, though. They're recording (or perhaps they have finished recording now).

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: January 28, 2019 14:08

the stones are underrated, possibly the stones never projected themselves the way the beatles did. the stones were too controversial and the badboys and this image stuck, so the beatles got most credit while the stones were often overlooked, but the stones have made many great songs yet a lot are not well known to those that are not diehards, the beatles made a lot of crap which is never critisised, yellow submarine is like a kids nursery rhythm and love me do is bland, along with many other song of similar standard.

queen, i used to like very much but the harder rock songs are ordinary, its the more subtle songs which are good, bohemian rhapsody, killer queen, dont stop me now, radio gaga etc. queen are overrated and so is freddy although he is good, he isnt no 1 front man, only jagger is.

i think there is a bias towards certain artists, elvis, beatles, zepellin, m jackson, and other great groups get overlooked.

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: January 28, 2019 14:08

Good songs are good songs though. Source: GLS

I do not have satellite radio with current lease car to drive from Martin County to M-D County every work day. We have a killer radio station 106.9 True" Oldies Channel. Not much advertisements and hearing, for example, "You Babe by the Turtles or even the Four Tops "Shake me Wake" gets me going.

Inbetween songs, John Tesh gives crazy clues to happy life like wearing a blue tie versus a red tie because blue enlightens your life and appeals to others. Yep crazy shit

To your point Gas Light Street, how can the outro lead of Black Dogbe denied? Totally agree.

When I go back to origins - on Smart TV or net YTt.

April 20 I have a date with the Stones. Lucky Dip world. Hopefully, luck is on my side . If not, I am determined to be happy regardless. I will write a review from a fan's standpoint and not the concert itself. The intrinsic elements of the event itself.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-01-28 14:15 by Chris Fountain.

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: January 28, 2019 14:10

tomk
The band Journey's stature has skyrocketed, more than I ever thought. Every dumb Millennial knows that stuff, and loves it.
Zeppelin, too.
As for the Stones, I think the general public doesn't care what they do anymore, and it's been that way for quite a while. Sell out a stadium, yeah, but besides us, nobody cares what whey do anymore.

Journey? Surely you jest. Honestly I cannot recall a single track of theirs KNOWING I have heard them.

Rod

Date: January 28, 2019 15:17

MisterDDDD
Gained:
Jimi Hendrix
Joe Cocker
Van Morrison *seeing him wed. in vegas!
Queen
Paul McCartney
Bob Dylan
Beatles
Rolling Stones

Faded:
Elvis
Chuck Berry
The Who
Aerosmith
Led Zeppelin

The Rolling Stones stature has clearly grown over time.. the only question left is whether it will continue to rise and for how long. Can't see it not, really.
They're playing on house money as it is, everything else is gravy.

Thanks, Mister. I was wanting input as well as comment on my post.

"No Anchovies, Please"

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: January 28, 2019 16:40

It seems to go in cycles. What's 'In' in one decade could be 'Out' in another.
The best career move or keeping reputation intact is Sudden Death syndrome (if you are under 30).
Also finishing before you start repeating yourself. SO,
ABBA
THE BEATLES
LED ZEP
JIMI HENDRIX EXPERIENCE
CREAM (not totally sure)
DEREK AND THE DOMINOS
THE VELVET UNDERGROUND

seem to be good examples.

Has Keith's Winos band grown in stature? Maybe, amongst Stones fans only though.

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: January 28, 2019 16:52

I don't think The Doors are as highly regarded as they once were.

Some 50 years ago, Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young were described as the "American Beatles." Only Young's reputation hasn't declined.

I think the stature of The Beach Boys has grown. Early fans had them locked into their surfing/cars hits persona, but younger people are more in tune with the Brian Wilson album artist genius version.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-01-28 17:32 by loog droog.

Posted by: Dan ()
Date: January 28, 2019 19:41

SKILLS

unless...

I didn't know you posted on this board, Sebastian. I guess it's not any worse way to find a new gig than begging for a Skid Row reunion via Twitter.

Now to answer the original question, there are loads of once obscure 90's/00's bands suddenly selling out large theatres, most recently Bikini Kill, who's largest headline gig in LA was most likely the Roxy who just sold out 3 nights at the Hollywood Palladium.

Date: January 28, 2019 21:00

I would also say the status of the Monkees has grown a lot. Like Three Dog Night, their songs were coming from some of the best (Boyce and Hart, Neil Diamond, etc.)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-01-28 21:01 by Elmo Lewis.

Posted by: Shott ()
Date: January 29, 2019 04:04

Far and away the band whose status has risen is the Byrds. Especially with the tour last year for Sweetheart.

Fallen:

The Doors.

Petty is at best third in the southern rock line behind Allmans and Skynyrd.

Sneaky Great: The J. Geils Band and P.Wolf.

Posted by: spsimmons ()
Date: January 29, 2019 04:21

I agree with the statement that The Who has lessened, and The Monkees has grown. I love both bands. It's good to see The Monkees get the respect I believe they deserve.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: January 29, 2019 04:44

The wearing of Stones T-Shirts has grown …….

ROCKMAN

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: January 29, 2019 05:58

bitusa2012
tomk
Zeppelin, too.

Journey? Surely you jest. Honestly I cannot recall a single track of theirs KNOWING I have heard them.

Clearly you live under a very big rock.

Posted by: tomk ()
Date: January 29, 2019 08:02

GasLightStreet
bitusa2012
tomk
Zeppelin, too.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: January 29, 2019 08:08

….. but there's no rocks in WA.... only sand and miles of it …..

ROCKMAN

Date: January 29, 2019 09:37

Rockman
….. but there's no rocks in WA.... only sand and miles of it …..

...nah, I saw a rock once, but it rolled away.

Rod

Date: January 29, 2019 09:50

GasLightStreet
bitusa2012
tomk
Zeppelin, too.

Well I just went to Spotify and played Send her my Love, wheel in the Sky, Don't Stop beleivin', who's Crying Now, Only the Young, Be Good to Yourself,Lights, Ask the Lonely, Feelin' that Way, Open Arms, and a few others.

Can you point me in the direction of a song I might have heard from this band who's reputation has skyrocketed???

Rod

Date: January 29, 2019 11:31

bitusa2012
GasLightStreet
bitusa2012
tomk
Zeppelin, too.

Well I just went to Spotify and played Send her my Love, wheel in the Sky, Don't Stop beleivin', who's Crying Now, Only the Young, Be Good to Yourself,Lights, Ask the Lonely, Feelin' that Way, Open Arms, and a few others.

Can you point me in the direction of a song I might have heard from this band who's reputation has skyrocketed???

I think Journey were huge in the US. They never made much impact in Europe, I believe? However, it's unavoidable not to notice a band that sold 100 million albums..

Love Neal Schon for his work with Santana. Not so much in Journey..

Date: January 29, 2019 15:25

Send her my Love, wheel in the Sky, Don't Stop beleivin', who's Crying Now, Only the Young, Be Good to Yourself,Lights, Ask the Lonely, Feelin' that Way, Open Arms, and a few others.

I find it difficult to believe that anyone who has owned a radio in the past 40 years hasn't heard some of these songs.

As noted, "The Sopranos" use of "Don't Stop Believin'" really brought them to the attention of many younger fans.

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: January 29, 2019 15:29

Hairball

True about Elvis in his later years, though I never thought that about the Stones. But without a new album of original material in 14 years, and live concerts w/95% of the setlist over 40 years old, kind of makes you wonder.

It's the opposite actually, the Stones reputation started to grow up during the last 10 years or so, once the band stopped publishing new music.

Their old catalog is much stronger now, their hits collections are always on the albums chart, their streaming numbers for stuff until 1981 are great too, it wasn't like that 15 or 20 years ago, the band knows it and that's one of the big reasons for almost no new stuff during the last 15 years, sadly for a band like the Stones a new album is damage to the history.

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1647
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home