Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: OT: Mott The Hoople: First U.S. Tour Since '74
Posted by: roryg ()
Date: April 12, 2019 23:15

While I love Dream Syndicate, the first three shows featured The Suburbs who reminded people why they are so enjoyable as well.

Posted by: swimtothemoon ()
Date: April 12, 2019 23:48

CBII
I goofed and may have missed the opportunity of seeing them in Chicago tonight. We flew up to New York for the Play It Loud exhibit at the MET. Managed to get the dates mixed up thinking they played Chicago this weekend.

The clips I saw were fantastic.

Yes I also regret missing the show. Maybe the last chance.

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: April 13, 2019 05:37

They underestimated their popularity - and the fact some of their fans are still around. A National US tour was required or missed opportunity.

Date: April 13, 2019 12:57

I love Mott.
I was so hoping to see them do "Foxy Foxy".In the current set, I don't know why, but after Song 3 every song started to sound like the other. And I realized that nowadays Ian Hunter is better solo.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-04-13 12:57 by Palace Revolution 2000.

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: April 13, 2019 13:23

Palace Revolution 2000
I love Mott.
I was so hoping to see them do "Foxy Foxy".In the current set, I don't know why, but after Song 3 every song started to sound like the other. And I realized that nowadays Ian Hunter is better solo.

Nope- Not in this case. This is goose bump music.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: April 13, 2019 19:36

Lol, I love Mott, but if you're just now realizing all the songs sound the same I don't know what to tell ya. To me, thats what keeps them from being a Hall Of Fame band. They're great, I love em, but there's two types of Mott The Hoople songs: there's the upbeat Rock And Roll Queen, One Of The Boys, All The Way From Memphis, Golden Age Of Rock N Roll song and there's the softer Rest In Peace, Ballad Of Mott The Hoople, Hymn For The Dudes, At The Crossroads, Laugh At Me song. Which are both fantastic and totally works. But yeah, that medley at the end of these sets sum them up. Everything is totally interchangeable. They were a limited band in a way real Hall Of Fame bands like the Stones, the Who, the Kinks, etc weren't. I don't necessarily think Ian Hunter solo is better, but I get what you mean. I've seen him solo, didn't know most of his solo material but it doesn't matter cause its very varied so overall the concert is a cool ride. But give me Mott stuff any day of the week. That stuff never gets old.

As for their demand, I actually think they played it perfectly. They could have played more places, but theaters was absolutely the right call. Pack a place instead of doing what ELO does and try to go too big (even though they sold out as well). But just saying, leave them wanting more. Don't go too big cause it could be depressing. And they aren't the kind of band that is gonna get a much bigger response than they did. I don't think they underestimated anything. The appreciation in New York was perfect. A bigger place wouldn't have been as fun IMO. But I'm sorry for those that didn't get shows in their area. They didn't do anything on the west coast right (which is what I presume you're referring to)?

Posted by: thegroove ()
Date: April 13, 2019 20:38

The Hall of Fame is completely meaningless.Mott The Hoople was a totally honest example of quality Rock n Roll. If they have cult-band status that's ok with me

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: April 13, 2019 21:04

I live in LA and I'm a Mott The Hoople fan. Flying out to one of these gigs was not in the cards for me, but I'm glad to hear the shows are so good.

I wish I could be there, but in the same spirit I wish I had seen the shows in England with Mick Ralphs and Overend Watts, because I listen to the four albums on Island a lot more than the CBS ones these days.

As far as "sameness" I don't think that it disqualifies them from the RnR HoF. You look at the level of quality of the songs--one that Hunter maintains to this day (show me anybody besides Dylan who is doing that), not to mention the influence (on Bowie and The Clash for starters) and that deserves recognition.

If Stones-Who-Kinks are the level that a band has to reach to be in the HoF they might as well shut the doors. Hunter needs to be in there twice, and that should have happened before Bon Jovi, Def Leppard, Joan Jett, and solo Stevie Nicks were ushered in.

Anyway, while I wish I was there, it's great to hear these reports.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-04-13 21:05 by loog droog.

Date: April 13, 2019 23:25

Not worth getting into a whole discussion about it because it should be a celebration thread of Mott but I think in the grand scheme of things obviously the Hall Of Fame is total shit but in a true Hall, Mott The Hoople are a fun band but not at the recognition level that the upper echelon get. Which again, isn't a criticism. I just think its what separates the really good bands from the truly great ones. I think a band like say Rush has a more impressive career than a band like Mott The Hoople and that counts for something. Ian Hunter is phenomenal and I don't think there's anyone like him. I'd argue the "only one maintaining besides Dylan" point, cause there are others at that advanced age that still do well, but yes, his solo work is excellent and the man is a rock legend through and through.

Yes, I thought the same thing seeing this show that its nothing like seeing the original band with Ralphs and Watts and Allen and Buffin. I mean THAT is Mott The Hoople, this so really isn't. But its what got brought to America so its what you have to settle with. I'd argue this is actually more FUN than the original band could muster, which is probably what America would prefer, but that obviously the original band is more authentic. They're the ones who wrote all that music. With this being the only real option at this point, I'm not disappointed, and I considered it "Mott The Hoople". But I know that in truth the only real Mott shows since the breakup were the England ones in 09 then 13 or whatever the two years were.

Date: April 14, 2019 14:29

I think Rollin Freak is right. It is not the place to delve into why I said this. And I shouldn't even be adding another post that is not in celebration of them.

Posted by: teleblaster ()
Date: April 14, 2019 15:53

RollingFreak
Not worth getting into a whole discussion about it because it should be a celebration thread of Mott but I think in the grand scheme of things obviously the Hall Of Fame is total shit but in a true Hall, Mott The Hoople are a fun band but not at the recognition level that the upper echelon get. Which again, isn't a criticism. I just think its what separates the really good bands from the truly great ones. I think a band like say Rush has a more impressive career than a band like Mott The Hoople and that counts for something. Ian Hunter is phenomenal and I don't think there's anyone like him. I'd argue the "only one maintaining besides Dylan" point, cause there are others at that advanced age that still do well, but yes, his solo work is excellent and the man is a rock legend through and through.

Yes, I thought the same thing seeing this show that its nothing like seeing the original band with Ralphs and Watts and Allen and Buffin. I mean THAT is Mott The Hoople, this so really isn't. But its what got brought to America so its what you have to settle with. I'd argue this is actually more FUN than the original band could muster, which is probably what America would prefer, but that obviously the original band is more authentic. They're the ones who wrote all that music. With this being the only real option at this point, I'm not disappointed, and I considered it "Mott The Hoople". But I know that in truth the only real Mott shows since the breakup were the England ones in 09 then 13 or whatever the two years were.

Personally I think that the original Mott The Hoople could have eaten bands like Rush for breakfast, but that's not the point of this tour. This is their final hurrah, one last party. Yes, I preferred the Mick Ralphs era (and thoroughly enjoyed the last reunion of that band), but I'm still ticking off the days until they play Glasgow (six sleeps) to experience this version. The reviews I've seen on Facebook, etc., have been ecstatic. We'll not see this band again, but I'm hoping Ian keeps touring well into his eighties and beyond. He has aged like a fine wine and is still writing, recording and performing fantastic songs.

Posted by: LiveAtHidepark ()
Date: April 14, 2019 20:47

I remember an old interview with Ian Hunter in a french magazine. Probably late 70's.

So it's only my memory, but basically it was :

- can you tell us why Mick Ralphs have leaved the band ?
- He was tired of writing songs we were unable to play.

Ian Hunter is great and humble. I bought the boxed-set "Stranded in Reality".

Date: April 15, 2019 18:05

Song differences between 2009 and 2013 original band shows:

Exclusive to 2009:
-The Journey
-I Wish I Was Your Mother
-Ready For Love
-Sweet Jane
-Sweet Angeline
-Original Mixed Up Kids
-Knockin' On Heaven's Door (not played at every show)
-Like A Rolling Stones (only played at rehearsal gigs)
-Jumpin' Jack Flash (only played at rehearsal gigs)

Exclusive to 2013:
-Violence
-When My Mind's Gone/No Wheels To Ride/The Journey
-Soft Ground
-Waterlow
-Death May Be Your Santa Claus/You Really Got Me

Songs only played on the new 2019 tour:
-Lounge Lizard
-Rose
-Alice
-Rest In Peace
-Marionette
-Pearl 'N' Roy (England)
-Jerkin' Crocus

Date: April 15, 2019 19:07

Like The Beatles on "Glass Onion" and "The Ballad of John and Yoko," Mott The Hoople referenced itself and the band's own history in various songs. That self-awareness extends to them calling this tour "Mott The Hoople '74."

They respect their legacy and their loyal fans. The several Hunter shows I've seen in recent years end with the slightly amusing sight of a roomful of grey-haired (the lucky ones who still have it!) men in their 50's and 60's singing along to "All The Young Dudes" without a trace of irony.

Hey, it's my tribe. We were lucky to be around in 1974, so we have a sense of the world in which all those songs were created, and can put them in context. But there is a timeless quality about their work that even a younger music fan could appreciate.

Mott The Hoople was an underrated group, and if you're near one of these shows: GO!

Date: April 22, 2019 14:38

They played an absolute blinder of a Saturday gig at the Glasgow Barrowlands. I've never seen Ian Hunter smile so much! The band had a ball, as did the audience. Delayed a holiday to see this one and don't regret it for a second! Ms Teleblaster almost speaking to me again....
A few shots from the front row of this all-standing gig.

Date: April 22, 2019 14:42

Sorry, I seem to have forgotten how to use Photobucket. Will try again later.

Posted by: Braincapers ()
Date: April 22, 2019 16:03

Just back from Birmingham and it was even better than Leamington and Manchester. They are just getting better and better. They are definitely having serious fun

Date: April 22, 2019 19:48

Mott The Hoople's Saturday gig in Glasgow. Trying to load photos once more.

Date: April 22, 2019 19:50

Damn! They seem oversized on my laptop. Oh Well, it's my birthday, so I'm going to the pub!

Posted by: johnnythunders ()
Date: April 29, 2019 15:20

My review of Friday's gig here. Also includes the list or records I played whilst DJing at the two London gigs.

[onlyrockandroll.london]

I included some Stones and Stones-related records - I wonder if Through The Lonely Nights has ever been heard at the Shepherds Bush Empire before ?

Date: April 29, 2019 18:49

I was watching (actually fast-forwarding through much of it) the RnR HoF show on HBO last night, and the finale was Ian Hunter with a bunch of the inductees singing "All The Young Dudes."

Great ending, but a wtf moment since Hunter isn't in the Hall himself.

It was sort of like when Tommy James backed Joan Jett on "Crimson and Clover" (Great song you wrote there, Tommy. We'll let you play it, but you've been on the county fair circuit way too long so we're NOT letting you in!! )

I'm sure this clip will go viral on his upcoming 80th birthday, and heads will explode when people see how good he is and still rocking.

Perhaps this "audition" will open the Hall door for Mott The Hoople next year...?

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: July 29, 2019 18:42

More Shows!

10/21 – Port Chester, NY @ Capitol Theatre
10/22 – Washington, DC @ Warner Theatre
10/24 – Atlanta, GA @ Coca Cola Roxy Theatre
10/26 – Nashville, TN @ War Memorial Auditorium
10/28 – The Majestic Theatre -- Dallas, TX
10/29 – Austin, TX @ ACL Live at the Moody Theater
10/31 – Scottsdale, AZ @ Talking Stick Resort Ballroom
11/1 – Los Angeles, CA @ Orpheum Theatre
11/3 – Oakland, CA @ Fox Theater
11/5 – Portland, OR @ Arlene Schnitzer Concert Hall
11/6 – Seattle, WA @ Moore Theatre

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1907
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home