Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: OT: Mott The Hoople: First U.S. Tour Since '74
Posted by: oldschool ()
Date: January 30, 2019 05:58

Saw Hunter/ Ronson in a small club, Toads Place, in New Haven, C.T in 1989 with ex Sex Pistols Steve Jones opening. In my top 10 concerts of all time.

Got tickets to the Mott Boston Orpheum show and Can't wait.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: February 11, 2019 13:44

I scored one of the last remaining tickets for Detroit after finding out that Cleveland was officially sold out and Detroit was on a low-ticket alert. You gotta admit, they know their market. And they always were very big here in the American "Rust Belt." (Plenty of tickets still available for Boston, Chicago and Milwaukee)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-02-11 13:48 by tatters.

Posted by: HonkyTonkJan ()
Date: February 11, 2019 19:01

Got tickets for Glasgow gig on April 20th. Looking forward to it. Have seen Ian Hunter and band 3 or 4 times but not for several years now. He always delivers and always has a great band. Fantastic stage presence and plenty of banter with the crowd.

It's gonna be worth the train journey from Edinburgh through to the wild west. And it doesn't get much wilder than Saturday Gigs at The Barrowland Ballroom!!

Posted by: mighty stork ()
Date: February 11, 2019 23:13

tatters
I scored one of the last remaining tickets for Detroit after finding out that Cleveland was officially sold out and Detroit was on a low-ticket alert. You gotta admit, they know their market. And they always were very big here in the American "Rust Belt." (Plenty of tickets still available for Boston, Chicago and Milwaukee)

The Milwaukee show had a burst of sales the first day but doesn't seem like much has sold since.

Posted by: slakka ()
Date: February 16, 2019 04:02

No one’s going to mention the 1974 opening band for Mott??
That’s not like you IORR boys and girls!

Posted by: Tugboat ()
Date: February 16, 2019 04:21

Queen!

Posted by: slakka ()
Date: February 16, 2019 04:41

Thanks Tug!
Hellva double bill. Was there with my jr hs buds. Uris theater N.Y.C.

Date: April 1, 2019 13:20

Still plenty of tickets available for tonight's tour opener in Milwaukee. Looks as if they never even bothered putting the balcony seats on sale.

[www1.ticketmaster.com]

Posted by: ThePaleRider ()
Date: April 1, 2019 13:52

tatters
Still plenty of tickets available for tonight's tour opener in Milwaukee. Looks as if they never even bothered putting the balcony seats on sale.

[www1.ticketmaster.com]

I would go if I was close...but Mott hasn't existed for 45 years! This tour is totally dependent on the memories of a small core of fans....Enjoy!

Date: April 2, 2019 13:29

Opening night setlist:

American Pie / The Golden Age of Rock 'N' Roll
Lounge Lizard
Alice
Honaloochie Boogie
Rest in Peace
I Wish I Was Your Mother
Pearl 'n' Roy
Roll Away the Stone
Sweet Jane
Rose
Walking With a Mountain
Marionette
All the Way From Memphis
Rock and Roll Queen/Crash Street Kidds/Whole Lotta Shakin' Goin' On/Violence/One of the Boys
Saturday Gigs
All the Young Dudes

Date: April 2, 2019 14:43

[www.youtube.com]

[www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-04-02 14:44 by tatters.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: April 2, 2019 15:17

Only think I really see missing that I know they played last year is Jerkin' Crocus. Otherwise, yeah its basically what you want to see. If I was picky, I'd also like Sucker and Drivin' Sister included but I'd still love this setlist. Just hope Ian's voice holds out. They're doing a lot of shows in a very short amount of time.

Posted by: CBII ()
Date: April 2, 2019 16:21

I goofed and may have missed the opportunity of seeing them in Chicago tonight. We flew up to New York for the Play It Loud exhibit at the MET. Managed to get the dates mixed up thinking they played Chicago this weekend.

The clips I saw were fantastic.

Posted by: johnnythunders ()
Date: April 2, 2019 18:22

tatters
Opening night setlist:

American Pie / The Golden Age of Rock 'N' Roll
Lounge Lizard
Alice
Honaloochie Boogie
Rest in Peace
I Wish I Was Your Mother
Pearl 'n' Roy
Roll Away the Stone
Sweet Jane
Rose
Walking With a Mountain
Marionette
All the Way From Memphis
Rock and Roll Queen/Crash Street Kidds/Whole Lotta Shakin' Goin' On/Violence/One of the Boys
Saturday Gigs
All the Young Dudes

Great set list but no Through The Looking Glass (sighs). I may have to play it over the PA at the end of the London gigs...

Posted by: thegroove ()
Date: April 4, 2019 18:31

I saw them last night at the Chicago Theatre. It was pretty cool hearing those tunes played live.Probably very close to the setlist they had in 1974.Three original guys and five additional musicians.Aerial Bender and Morgan Fisher were in fine form both of them kinda hamming it up onstage.Very entertaining lads.Ian Hunter broke out the old Iron Cross guitar for Walkin With A Mountain which was jammin.Marrionette and Honaloochie Boogie were very well done my personal favorites of the evening. As they were playing my thoughts went back to Bowie NY Dolls Lou Reed Mick Ronson Overend Watts Mick Ralphs Buffin Verden Allen Beatles and the Stones.It was a glorious time for Rock n Roll.Thanks to Ian Hunter for this blast from the past.

Date: April 4, 2019 19:19

thegroove
I saw them last night at the Chicago Theatre. It was pretty cool hearing those tunes played live.Probably very close to the setlist they had in 1974.Three original guys and five additional musicians.Aerial Bender and Morgan Fisher were in fine form both of them kinda hamming it up onstage.Very entertaining lads.Ian Hunter broke out the old Iron Cross guitar for Walkin With A Mountain which was jammin.Marrionette and Honaloochie Boogie were very well done my personal favorites of the evening. As they were playing my thoughts went back to Bowie NY Dolls Lou Reed Mick Ronson Overend Watts Mick Ralphs Buffin Verden Allen Beatles and the Stones.It was a glorious time for Rock n Roll.Thanks to Ian Hunter for this blast from the past.

Sounds good. I'm fourth row center tomorrow night in Detroit.

Date: April 6, 2019 22:19

Ugh! What a hangover! That's what I get for drinking double shots of Hennessy all night. Since I'm too hung over to write my own review, here's someone else's. He's got a lot of complaints, not about the actual performance, but about the "wretched" sound quality. I have to say I have no idea what he's talking about. It sounded fine to me.

[www.theoaklandpress.com]

Mott the Hoople delivers righteous rock, wretched sound at the Fillmore

By Gary Graff

It was indeed a Golden Age, or at least a golden night, of rock 'n' roll for fans who tripped out to see Mott the Hoople '74 on Friday night, April 5, at the Fillmore Detroit.

Unfortunately, it sounded like crap.

There's no question the sold-out show was one of the most deservingly anticipated of the year so far, a chance to see Ian Hunter, who turns 80 in June, and two of his former bandmates -- guitarist Ariel Bender (nee Luther Grosvenor) and keyboardist Morgan Fisher -- touring together for the first time in, as the group moniker indicated, 45 years. On Friday they rocked with an energy and abandon that belied their ages, and with a setlist of favorites that have been on ice for far too long the Mott crew certainly turned back the clock, for both the musicians and an upper-demo boomer crowd that mingled somewhat comically on Woodward Avenue with fans of pop singer Ariana Grande, playing up the street at Little Caesars Arena.

The musicians -- including the five regular members of Hunter's Rant Band -- did their part, in other words. The band's PA mixer, not so much. The hour-and-45-minute show was far too loud, far too hot, lacking any definition in favor of pure, punishing volume. A distracting hum burdened a fair chunk of the show, while everything from the stage was pushed to such extremes that vocals and particularly solos by Bender and Fisher were brittle and distorted -- a criminal disservice to what was an otherwise triumphant reunion.

Mott, then, had to rest on the sense of occasion to carry the night, which was not to be discounted. Hunter told the Fillmore crowd that he had insisted that Detroit specifically be included on the group's eight-show itinerary, and he took fans back the heyday when Mott straddled a line between pub-style boogie and glam rock, with sophisticated arrangements and intelligent lyrics that in songs such as "The Golden Age of Rock 'n' Roll" and "Saturday Gigs" underscored the nostalgic heft of the evening -- which began with a vintage early 70s recording of David Bowie introducing the band. Hunter himself has not ignored his Mott heritage as a solo act, but it was still a treat to hear the group unearth deeper fare such as "Alice," "Honaloochie Boogie," "I Wish I Was Your Mother," "Sucker," "Pearl 'n Roy," the B-side "Rose" and "Walking With a Mountain."

Mott's biggest moments -- "All the Way From Memphis," "Roll Away the Stone," its adrenalized cover of the Velvet Underground's "Sweet Jane" and the show-closing, Bowie-written "All the Young Dudes" -- were, of course, highlights. And the troupe recreated its 1974 concert medley, blending killer favorites "Jerkin' Crocus," "One of the Boys," "Rock and Roll Queen" and "Crash Street Kids" with snippets of oldies ("Whole Lotta Shakin' Going On," "Mean Woman Blues," "Johnnie B. Goode") before Hunter led a vamp of his solo hit "Cleveland Rocks," tweaked, of course, to pay tribute to the Motor City.

Hunter has said this year's trek will be the last go-round for any permutation of Mott. That made the night all the more special, and all the more squandered by the unforgivably wretched sound mix.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-04-06 22:25 by tatters.

Posted by: ab ()
Date: April 7, 2019 00:53

Had to give up tickets for Glenside due to family emergency.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-04-07 08:06 by ab.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: April 7, 2019 02:08

Queen was their support act in their first US tour.

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: April 7, 2019 13:38

MTH should expand the US tour into Florida I want to see this damn concert. By the way - Don't forget about Angeline. That song rocks live!! Should be in setlist. Uh oh here I go again with setlists. spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-04-07 13:47 by Chris Fountain.

Posted by: ab ()
Date: April 7, 2019 13:49

Koen

Queen supported Mott on the LAST Mott US tour.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: April 7, 2019 14:14

I meant Queen’s first US tour. smoking smiley

Posted by: Braincapers ()
Date: April 7, 2019 14:16

I really looking forward to the UK dates. Hunter and the Rant Band are never less than great so with added Fisher & Bender it could be awesome

Date: April 7, 2019 14:53

Braincapers
I really looking forward to the UK dates. Hunter and the Rant Band are never less than great so with added Fisher & Bender it could be awesome

It will be awesome. I had a fantastic time the other night. 80s alt rockers The Dream Syndicate opened with a 40-minute set that kicked major ass, and Mott did not disappoint. Bender mugs and poses as much as Keith ever did, but it's his goofball persona that makes him the perfect foil for Hunter, and it's really his physical presence that makes this a genuine Mott, as opposed to a solo Hunter, concert. He also shreds, literally. There's photos from the Chicago show where he's got blood all over his green Strat.

There was a lot going on in Detroit Friday night. The comedian Sebastian Maniscalco was playing two sold out shows up the street at The Fox, and a couple of blocks beyond that, Ariana Grande was at Little Caesars Arena. I got there three hours early, just so I could be sure of finding a parking space, and sure enough, I see Ian signing a few autographs outside the stage door. I didn't have anything for him to sign, and all I've got is a little flip phone, so I really couldn't even get a picture. I settled for a handshake. It was more than enough.

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: April 7, 2019 15:00

There was a lot going on in Detroit Friday night. The comedian Sebastian Maniscalco was playing two sold out shows up the street at The Fox, and a couple of blocks beyond that, Ariana Grande was at Little Caesars Arena. I got there three hours early, just so I could be sure of finding a parking space, and sure enough, I see Ian signing a few autographs outside the stage door. I didn't have anything for him to sign, and all I've got is a little flip phone, so I really couldn't even get a picture. I settled for a handshake. It was more than enough.

Awesome!!! - maybe a little human connection overrides any material memorabilia.

What was the weather like? Cold? Warm? Windy? I'm a member of the Weather around the World thread and need to know.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: April 11, 2019 19:01

Just a wonderful wonderful night in New York City last night. I love original Mott and that band, but for what this was last night it was truly wonderful, and probably more energetic than the original Mott can muster at this point (seeing as two have unfortunately passed). Since the US didn't get an original reunion like the UK did, I feel this was a worthy substitute. UK appreciates them, the US needs a little flash and thats what this lineup is which probably works best.

The set really is just tops. Again, I love early Mott, but this set pretty much touches on everything. Opening with American Pie/Golden Age really just was a wonderful moment. Thats how I KNOW my Mott shows to open so that was a dream and played to perfection. Alice in New York was a lot of fun. As many have said, Honaloochie Boogie was definitely a highlight, same with I Wish I was Your Mother. I had wanted three things added to the setlist and I at least got two of them in Sucker and Jerkin Crocus (which I think always was but just wasn't listed as so night 1) so that was spectulatar. A fantastic Sweet Jane, nothing is better than Walking With A Mountain. A phenomenal encore with All The Way From Memphis, Saturday Gigs and All The Young Dudes. The set is perfection.

As for the band, they were stellar. I've seen Ian with his Rant band so I know that they kick and nice to see them included. Ariel Bender was everything you want him to be. He literally isn't an excellent guitar player at all, and its all flash and show off, but it works so well and its a great energy to offset Ian. He basically plays the way we all air guitar to Mott The Hoople and I find everything about him so infectious, even though I love dear Mick Ralphs to death. But there's a great sight to Ariel just running around stage like a mad old man. Ian, by god, somehow still has it at 80. His voice was a little worse for wear, although in fairness just in spots. Overall it was very good, and also in his defense they had a lot of shows lined up one after another. So in no way is it a criticism but it'd be disingenuous to say they were perfect. He ended the night by saying "I've still got it" and that much is absolutely true.

Overall a fantastic night. It'll definitely be the last time they play America and this seemed like a great way to go out. A super, beyond my imagination appreciative crowd the whole way through. You don't get that most time with these older bands but people stood from the second it started till the second it ended and were incredibly loyal fans. Loved it. And The Wallflowers opening was an awesome surprise. Hadn't seen Dylan's son in a very long time and he is very solid on his own. Great set and some of those songs really are just plain great songs that unfortunately don't get the recognition because maybe its him and probably just the landscape of the scene the last 20 years. One Headlight is a classic for anyone. And was very cool to see him come out for All The Young Dudes at the end. People were definitely in awe and living a long drawn out fantasy last night.

Posted by: knifeblade ()
Date: April 11, 2019 19:33

Saw them at the Fillmore East New York I do believe either 1969 or 1970 can't remember. Great show

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: April 11, 2019 22:28

kinda off topic, but the opening band for these MTH shows is really cool, imo -
the Dream Syndicate

Posted by: midimannz ()
Date: April 12, 2019 22:34

I am SO disappointed they never came to New Zealand- it's such beautiful video thanks tatters

Posted by: carouslambra ()
Date: April 12, 2019 22:48

Koen

I thought everyone knew this except for the film makers of the recent Freddie film who showed Queen playing Fat Bottom Girls on their 'first' US Tour.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1877
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home