Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
OT: Mott The Hoople: First U.S. Tour Since '74
Posted by: tatters ()
Date: January 22, 2019 18:27

Re: OT: Mott The Hoople: First U.S. Tour Since '74
Posted by: ab ()
Date: January 22, 2019 20:12

Sounds like a pre-Jazzfest road trip is calling my name.

Date: January 23, 2019 00:50

They're playing the midwest right around the same time as Nick Mason's Saucerful of Secrets tour. Might be time to put in that vacation request ....

4/1 – Milwaukee, WI, Miller High Life Theatre
4/2 – Minneapolis, MN, First Avenue
4/3 – Chicago, IL, Chicago Theatre
4/5 – Detroit, MI, The Fillmore
4/6 – Cleveland, OH, Masonic
4/8 – Glenside, PA, Keswick Theatre
4/9 – Boston, MA, Orpheum Theatre
4/10 – New York, NY, Beacon Theatre

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: January 23, 2019 06:30

i've had the great pleasure to see ian hunter live a couple of times, but never Mott! I hope to change that.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: January 23, 2019 08:12

nice to see james mastro is going along for the ride. i know him. he's a good guy & fabulous musician.

Posted by: TeddyB1018 ()
Date: January 23, 2019 10:29

Agreed on James.

Posted by: terraplane ()
Date: January 23, 2019 11:07

Awesome band but how many of them are still Alive?

Date: January 23, 2019 11:32

From the original lineup, Buffin and Overend are dead, and Ralphs hasn't played in public since a stroke in 2016. So that leaves Verden and Ian. Verden left after All the Young Dudes.

This upcoming tour is three of the 1974 lineup that played on The Hoople and did the Broadway residency.

Posted by: terraplane ()
Date: January 23, 2019 11:42

Didn’t know that about Mick Ralphs. What a shame. A wonderful player

Posted by: johnnythunders ()
Date: January 23, 2019 12:07

If you check the YouTube footage from last years festivals you will see this line-up does a great job of performing the 1974-era material, with a few surprises thrown in...looking forward to the London gigs very much

Date: January 23, 2019 16:25

Hard to believe Ian will be eighty years old in June. His is a rare case of someone who made it big when they were in their 30s. I've only ever actually seen him one time, in 2001, when he was on one of those Ringo Starr tours. Seeing him do "All the Young Dudes" and singing that line "My brother's back at home with his Beatles and his Stones" and Ringo is right there behind him on the drums .... that was pretty cool.

Date: January 25, 2019 04:39

Got a pair for the Glenside, PA show. Yippee!

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: January 25, 2019 05:44

tatters
Hard to believe Ian will be eighty years old in June.

I really hope he can handle 3 nights in a row still! I get nervous with NY being the last date that he'll be all tuckered out.

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: January 25, 2019 06:39

I'm a HUGE MTH fan, and still feel lucky to have had friends turn me on to them circa their very first stuff,
they never did really hit it big in The States but there was a rabid cult following, simliar in some ways to The Who
(without the big radio hits) before Tommy, at least in The States...
So I was more excited about the 'actual' reunion some years ago that had some
original members, and even the ill drummer came to play the encore I think...
it was pretty spectack.

i bought Ian's solo stuff and believe in him as a writer of high quality
and power fairly consitently for a long while. very very very important
songs to me to this day, a LOT of em too...
this interests me or course, and don't want to throw ice water on anyone's fire;
that Ariel Bender guy was outrageous and dear Mick Raplhs has suffered a stroke, i don't know the severity.
thoughts of Dave Davies here are upsetting me so i'll stop that tack here...
....anyway, good for them, it's not nesar a "real" "Mott The Hooople"
band per se, but those are hugely great songs, and for all I know this
is gonna be a really good band; hope so. who's on bass?
What's the exact full line up? anyone know?
ty.

well, good news i guess, but there's a caveat or two come to mind of someone
who really loved them and thought of them as absolutely Essential for a period.
I was just the exact right age to really soak all this in...

...of course one of my all time fave rock and roll stories
is when MTH tore into JJF at the end of one of their songs,
as Stoneage was in another studio there and it inspired them.
at their best, a just barely 'in control' riotous affair...
having NY Dolls and Mott The Hoople made the early 70's possible for me,
outside of an enormous release
by you know who in '72. that i still get 'mileage' out of... smiling smiley
Here's to Mott The Hoople. smileys with beer

Date: January 25, 2019 11:00

The lineup is Bender and Fisher with Hunter and the Rant Band. I've seen Hunter and the Rant Band a few times. They're aces.

Mark Bosch will cover for a lot of Bender's deficiencies as a lead guitarist. From what I've seen on YouTube clips from last year's festival shows, Bender mugs a lot and barely seems to be playing. Bosch does most of the heavy lifting, until Bender steps up for some really terrible solos. He always was an inadequate replacement for Mick Ralphs.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-01-25 11:03 by ab.

Posted by: teleblaster ()
Date: January 25, 2019 14:55

RollingFreak
tatters
Hard to believe Ian will be eighty years old in June.

I really hope he can handle 3 nights in a row still! I get nervous with NY being the last date that he'll be all tuckered out.

Don't worry about that, Ian can put a lot of younger rockers to shame. They're doing the UK later that month and I'm hoping Ian and the band will peak in Glasgow on the 20th! I've had to cancel part of a holiday to go to it, but, hey, it's Mott The Hoople.

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: January 25, 2019 15:10

ab
The lineup is Bender and Fisher with Hunter and the Rant Band. I've seen Hunter and the Rant Band a few times. They're aces.

Mark Bosch will cover for a lot of Bender's deficiencies as a lead guitarist. From what I've seen on YouTube clips from last year's festival shows, Bender mugs a lot and barely seems to be playing. Bosch does most of the heavy lifting, until Bender steps up for some really terrible solos. He always was an inadequate replacement for Mick Ralphs.

Thank you. That's true about Mick. I was just so into them,
was glad to have those songs that last outing.
but yeh, it took some 'getting used to' a lot of flash and, well, 'bend,'
but it didn't crush the entire powerful thing.
That's very helpful and useful information and I'm gonna track it,
and appreciate knowing wattup w this, thank you.

Here's Hoping Mick Ralphs has a good life and great recovery.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-01-25 15:11 by hopkins.

Posted by: roryfaninva ()
Date: January 25, 2019 15:39

As a veteran of many fantastic Hunter & Ronson and solo Hunter shows, I'd have to agree. This is essentially a Hunter/Rant Band show with a couple guest players. It was hard not to notice Bender was turned way down in the mix on the first round of shows and his lead parts doubled by Ian's excellent guitarist. But while some purists may say no Ralphs-Watts-Griffin-Allen is a deal killer, its all being billed as "Mott the Hoople 1974" and you'll never go wrong with the Rant Band. Like the Mac's Bump Band at its prime, they can go toe to toe with any group out there, young or not so young. Wish I could go!
(Weird factoid- According the the interwebs "The Hoople" was their only gold LP. Suprising. The previous LP Mott was one of the very best Britrock records of the era, certainly up there with The Stones stuff of the time (IORR and GHS).

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: January 25, 2019 15:49

Yeah I have no problem with this not being the "real" band. As explained, two are dead and one can't tour so you're not left with much. Its a kinda cool novel idea to change it up from the previous two reunions. And while Ariel is of course no Mick Ralphs, I do know them a lot from that live album so its funny how much something like "Please welcome Ariel Bender!" means to me. Its such a weird little thing, but he's a part of an era I know well.

But I'm well aware Mott is those original 5 guys. If this is all they can muster though, I don't have a problem. Ariel seems to be a LOT of flash, but in all honesty it looks like that could be fun. And as said, Ian's band more than makes up for it so I have no problem with this weird hybrid. And Steve Holley on drums! I know its not real Mott but its as close as America is getting and they'll be doing stuff like that Medley from the live album and a few other things specific to those later years that I've always wanted to hear so this will suffice. They did the "real" reunions already. I'm a huge Mick Ralphs fan from here and Bad Company, and the other guys are so instrumental to the sound. This is really just to have fun.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-01-25 15:52 by RollingFreak.

Posted by: ROLLINGSTONE ()
Date: January 25, 2019 15:59

Going to see them in Glasgow. Saw them back in 1973 and would you believe Queen were the support! thumbs up

"I'll be in my basement room with a needle and a spoon."

Posted by: roryfaninva ()
Date: January 25, 2019 16:33

Steve Holley is amazing- heres a great clip of him in action with Hunter/Ronson. Bass solo is....of it's time.smiling smiley

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: bleedingman ()
Date: January 25, 2019 18:05

Logged on to TM at 11 to check out beacon tickets. Got the "please wait" message. Three minutes later, the seating map came up with about 25 singles left in the entire venue.

Posted by: filstan ()
Date: January 25, 2019 18:50

I scored 2 good seats at Chicago Theater at $79. It was weird. First look said tickets not on sale yet, but I went to TM and it was up and running.

Posted by: roryg ()
Date: January 26, 2019 03:20

Ended up getting similar seats in Milwaukee to the seats we had for the last Bowie show at the same venue. Of course, the last Milwaukee show I saw on April 1 was 1977, when Iggy played with Blondie opening when a mop topped Bowie played keys for Mr. Osterberg.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: January 26, 2019 10:54

roryfaninva
Steve Holley is amazing- heres a great clip of him in action with Hunter/Ronson. Bass solo is....of it's time.smiling smiley

[www.youtube.com]

I saw Hunter Ronson in a club. Lucky to have done so!

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: January 26, 2019 12:11

"Touring the US" seems to mean "Touring a very limited area of the US." confused smiley

I saw Ian Hunter solo once, at the Arthur Lee benefit show at the Beacon in 2006 (at which he did a duet with Robert Plant), and MTH once in 1970 as part of the Medicine Ball caravan--bill also included the Faces and headliners were Pink Floyd. (That was quite an occasion.)

Date: January 26, 2019 14:50

I saw Ian Hunter and Todd Rundgren playing together in a benefit for John Anderson (third party US presidential candidate) in October 1980 at the Ontario Theatre in Washington, DC. Strange combination.

[www.setlist.fm]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-01-26 14:54 by ab.

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: January 27, 2019 04:52

ab
I saw Ian Hunter and Todd Rundgren playing together in a benefit for John Anderson (third party US presidential candidate) in October 1980 at the Ontario Theatre in Washington, DC.

John Anderson... the Republican who ran as an Independent that year. Funny how a guy trying to be President ends up an obscure footnote.

A few years later, in the mid-80's, a co-worker/friend who was also a political junkie mentioned to me that he supported Anderson, and still had some campaign stuff.

He gave me an "ANDERSON FOR PRESIDENT" button, which I re-purposed--wearing it proudly at NRBQ concerts as a tribute to their great guitarist, "Big Al" Anderson!

[www.youtube.com]

I want Mott The Hoople to play the West Coast!! C'mon, Ian!

Posted by: mighty stork ()
Date: January 27, 2019 07:16

roryg
Ended up getting similar seats in Milwaukee to the seats we had for the last Bowie show at the same venue. Of course, the last Milwaukee show I saw on April 1 was 1977, when Iggy played with Blondie opening when a mop topped Bowie played keys for Mr. Osterberg.

Caught those same shows you mentioned too but so far holding off on this Milwaukee show. Seems sales have slowed since the pre-sale.

Date: January 30, 2019 00:13

Very odd. Ticketmaster shows Cleveland and Detroit as being more or less sold out, while plenty of tickets remain for Chicago, Boston, and Milwaukee.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1479
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home