Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: 1965 revival? Beatles &Stones ...
Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: January 19, 2019 15:39

Big Al
I actually voted to remain. Not because I’m a staunch ‘remainer’, but because, on balance, I felt that the U.K. would be better-off as a member. I still feel that way to an extent, but I’ll forever love the idea of being free from that mob in Brussels. Where Merkel, Macron and Junker want to take the E.U. is place I never want to visit: The United States of Europe. One nation, one currency - already there, I know - and one armed forces. One identity. Well, I’m an Englishman, a Briton and a Man of Kent. I have never identified as a European. Europe is where i holiday. It’s abroad and it’s foreign. That’s what I like about it. Let’s keep that distance. Makes it more special, I think.

Believe me Big Al, I understand your feelings. If there is one thing good about this Brexit "drama", it is that now Brussels realises that there is a limit to bureaucracy (I just saw a very good interview with Anglofile Timmermans). Britain gave them a wake-up call. It is just sad that it happened on the basis of lies by some politicians who played with the sentiments of ordinary people. In the end, whatever happens, the latter will always pay the highest price.
But times are changing. New giants are surfacing strongly (China, India) and are ready to take over. It took them centuries, so they are certainly entitled to, but at the same time it's now Europe that has to make sure it will not be washed away and Britain will economically be much better off as part of a 400+ million unit than with only 60 million. It's as simple as that.
You Can't Always Get What You Want ... but ... winking smiley

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: January 19, 2019 16:44

Apply that thought process to the UK by replacing Brussels with London and England with Scotland.

I am a Scotsman, I wan't to be free from that lot in London!

Repeat the process again by replacing London with Edinburgh and Scotland with Aberdeenshire.

I am an Aberdonian, I want to be free from that lot in Edinburgh.

... and so on.

Posted by: ovalvox ()
Date: January 20, 2019 02:36

buttons67
if its for the younger generation it would need to be released in rap form, and the promo video would need to hide the guitars incase it leads to confusion.

LMFAO! This is so true.

Date: January 20, 2019 13:33

His Majesty
Apply that thought process to the UK by replacing Brussels with London and England with Scotland.

I am a Scotsman, I wan't to be free from that lot in London!
Repeat the process again by replacing London with Edinburgh and Scotland with Aberdeenshire.
I am an Aberdonian, I want to be free from that lot in Edinburgh.
... and so on.

Exactly HM! Those who don't see "the big picture" will eventually get lost "in translation".
Beautiful country, Scotland, by the way. And whether or not London likes it, it is part of Europe geografically ... and Ian Stewart was at the birth of this great global band, the Rolling Stones smileys with beer

Posted by: Bastion ()
Date: January 20, 2019 19:24

ovalvox
buttons67
if its for the younger generation it would need to be released in rap form, and the promo video would need to hide the guitars incase it leads to confusion.

LMFAO! This is so true.

Read my post. Get real and stop being so out of touch.

Date: January 20, 2019 23:15

Bastion
ovalvox
buttons67

LMFAO! This is so true.

Read my post. Get real and stop being so out of touch.

I listened to several Idles songs. Heavy stuff indeed and clearly expressing all kinds of frustrations. They should make a song about the Brexit "Madness" winking smiley
Question Bastion: what do you like about the (so different) Rolling Stones?

Posted by: CaptainCorella ()
Date: January 21, 2019 12:22

NOT a political post, but it seems that a certain well known logo has found a re-use in a UK newspaper...
[www.theguardian.com]

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: January 21, 2019 16:27

And that typical interchanging of England/UK/Britain.

eye rolling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-01-21 22:48 by His Majesty.

Date: January 21, 2019 16:46

CaptainCorella
NOT a political post, but it seems that a certain well known logo has found a re-use in a UK newspaper...
[www.theguardian.com]

Thanks! One can look at that image in different ways tongue sticking out smiley
I am amazed about the sentense: " ... the idea that if we prospered before 1972 ...".
I lived in the UK during 1971 and it was "total disaster". Every day (!) on TV, directly following the news, for months appeared this list of companies in the UK gone bankrupt. It was not like ten a day, no sometimes more than a hundred and even many more, daily! Occasionally a few new companies were formed (and mentioned in very small numbers). I could not communicate (post and/or telephone) with my home country for ... three months (strikes)! Not mentioning all those other long strikes going on!
Prospered ... is there another meaning of that word apart from what we learned at school? Or were these the words of youngsters, who were still babies in 1971/1972?
If it wasn't for the release of the incredible Sticky Fingers album (with amazing logo spinning smiley sticking its tongue out giving hope for the futurewinking smiley), I, as non-Brit, could have felt very depressed in 1971 confused smiley

Posted by: Carnaby ()
Date: January 23, 2019 07:15

Date: January 23, 2019 17:24

Thanks Carnaby!
Those never seen before (!) historic photos from you really fill in the blancs in my 60s memories. They add to the imagination of how things were around and along with the Rolling Stones (and the Beatles for that matter winking smiley)
Cheers!smileys with beer

Date: January 23, 2019 19:33

Date: January 24, 2019 02:14

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: January 24, 2019 02:45

ACE shot Carnaby ……………….. WAY COOL …… ^^^^^^

ROCKMAN

Date: January 24, 2019 07:19

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1640
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home