Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1213141516171819202122Next
Current Page: 18 of 22
Re: Keith Richards - Talk Is Cheap 30th Anniversary Edition
Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: April 5, 2019 21:02

#43 in the UK with 2,417 copies sold.

From Music Week:

"Talk Is Cheap, the first of just three solo albums by Rolling Stones legend Keith Richards, reached No.37 on debut in October 1988, and a slightly belated 30th anniversary edition of the album, newly remastered and expanded, debuts at No.43 (2,417 sales)."

[www.officialcharts.com]

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: April 5, 2019 21:11

MadMax
..I dig Yap Yap, me Thinks it's his best slow song ...

I think its great too - tough call for me on whether it is his 'best' slow song, Keith has so many great slow songs, including w/ Stones.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: April 5, 2019 21:25

Hey yeah Part 3 …… Fanks Johnny …...

ROCKMAN

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: April 5, 2019 21:57

liddas
matxil
liddas
I wonder why when we discuss Keith solo, Wingless Angels never gets mentioned.

Despite not having any KR songs on them I consider those two WA albums, the second in particular, fully legitimate KR babies!

C

I only know the first, which, indeed is great. And it shows a side of Keith which especially non-Stones fans wouldn't easily know: subtlety (impossible word to write by the way).
So, the second is even better? I thought it would be just left-overs from the 1st session. In what way is it better? Is it still available anywhere anyway?

One could say that WA I is WA's live album (with overdubs) while WA II is their studio album.

WA II has the same vibe, but Justin Hinds' stellar vocals and the usual subtle (impossible indeed to write) layers of guitars and basses and vocals that characterize all Keith albums bring the songs to a stellar level.

If you like WA I, you will love II. In particular if you play it LOUD, dancing open air in a hot summer night!

C

Sounds great, many thanks for the information. I will definitely go and look for it.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: April 6, 2019 00:01

keefriff99
treaclefingers
lem motlow
Make no mistake-when I say negative shit about Keith that’s inside stuff for the board and hardcore fans to digest.
In real life I’ve told guitar players right to their face that Keith Richards is the best rock and roll guitar player that ever lived-the stammering and but but Hendrix,Page and and and ..always makes me laugh.
I always say the same thing - what about the song? What about the groove.are you playing a song or just hitting a bunch of notes and making everyone say wow!?

He makes it look so easy that it fools you but have you ever heard anyone actually play a guitar like Keith.you end up with the Black Crowes or something and thinking “great,nice try kid”

With the tour coming up I’ve been listening to alot of boots,live and studio which is the only Stones I listen to anyway as well as Main Offender and Talk is Cheap.they are better than I remember.
Struggle has been in my head,the way he just nails that opening,da da dant da and then lets it hang for just the right second.man that’s timing,that’s guitar playing.
I’m gonna grab this set and circle back to cross eyed heart as well,I only gave it a quick listen and it didn’t really click the first time.

seems a reasonable amount of love for it...I only listened to it once as well and found it a snoozer...may give it another chance on the weekend.
I had the exact same reaction. Listening right now to try to warm up to it.

OK...so what was the verdict?

I need to decide between this and a visit down memory lane with Talk Is Cheap, in honour of the 30th anniversary release. I believe I have a sealed vinyl copy of it somewhere...I wonder if it's worth something now?!

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: April 6, 2019 00:37

Debut at #15 in Germany:
[www.mtv.de]

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: April 6, 2019 06:38

treaclefingers
keefriff99
treaclefingers
lem motlow
Make no mistake-when I say negative shit about Keith that’s inside stuff for the board and hardcore fans to digest.
In real life I’ve told guitar players right to their face that Keith Richards is the best rock and roll guitar player that ever lived-the stammering and but but Hendrix,Page and and and ..always makes me laugh.
I always say the same thing - what about the song? What about the groove.are you playing a song or just hitting a bunch of notes and making everyone say wow!?

He makes it look so easy that it fools you but have you ever heard anyone actually play a guitar like Keith.you end up with the Black Crowes or something and thinking “great,nice try kid”

With the tour coming up I’ve been listening to alot of boots,live and studio which is the only Stones I listen to anyway as well as Main Offender and Talk is Cheap.they are better than I remember.
Struggle has been in my head,the way he just nails that opening,da da dant da and then lets it hang for just the right second.man that’s timing,that’s guitar playing.
I’m gonna grab this set and circle back to cross eyed heart as well,I only gave it a quick listen and it didn’t really click the first time.

seems a reasonable amount of love for it...I only listened to it once as well and found it a snoozer...may give it another chance on the weekend.
I had the exact same reaction. Listening right now to try to warm up to it.

OK...so what was the verdict?

I need to decide between this and a visit down memory lane with Talk Is Cheap, in honour of the 30th anniversary release. I believe I have a sealed vinyl copy of it somewhere...I wonder if it's worth something now?!

About $10.

The print won't change. You can visit down the road of both at any time.

Or for that matter, no time, just think about them.

Or something like that.

Posted by: MadMax ()
Date: April 6, 2019 13:55

"I think its great too - tough call for me on whether it is his 'best' slow song, Keith has so many great slow songs, including w/ Stones."

I meant outta his solo outings (officialy released)

IMHO nothing comes close to Slipping Away, How Can I Stop, All About You or Coming Down Again. Sleep Tonite's a gem as well though maybe not in the same League as the aforementioned.

Posted by: glimmertwin1 ()
Date: April 6, 2019 23:48

Remaster 2019:

foobar2000 1.4.3 / Dynamic Range Meter 1.1.1
log date: 2019-04-06 21:44:35

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Analyzed: Keith Richards / Talk Is Cheap (2019 - Remaster)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DR Peak RMS Duration Track
DR7 -0.03 dB -8.00 dB 3:15 01-Big Enough - 2019 - Remaster
DR6 -0.03 dB -7.18 dB 3:17 02-Take It So Hard - 2019 - Remaster
DR7 -0.03 dB -8.51 dB 4:11 03-Struggle - 2019 - Remaster
DR6 -0.03 dB -6.93 dB 3:13 04-I Could Have Stood You Up - 2019 - Remaster
DR7 -0.03 dB -9.00 dB 4:52 05-Make No Mistake - 2019 - Remaster
DR6 -0.03 dB -8.44 dB 4:49 06-You Don't Move Me - 2019 - Remaster
DR6 -0.03 dB -7.63 dB 3:32 07-How I Wish - 2019 - Remaster
DR7 -0.03 dB -8.41 dB 4:39 08-Rockawhile - 2019 - Remaster
DR6 -0.03 dB -7.75 dB 4:02 09-Whip It Up - 2019 - Remaster
DR6 -0.03 dB -7.52 dB 5:50 10-Locked Away - 2019 - Remaster
DR7 -0.03 dB -8.04 dB 5:25 11-It Means A Lot - 2019 - Remaster

Number of tracks: 11
Official DR value: DR6

Samplerate: 44100 Hz
Channels: 2
Bits per sample: 16
Bitrate: 1069 kbps
Codec: FLAC
================================================================================

Original:

foobar2000 1.4.1 / Dynamic Range Meter 1.1.1
log date: 2019-01-17 12:46:46

Analyzed: Keith Richards feat. M. Taylor / Talk Is Cheap (1)
Keith Richards / Talk Is Cheap (2-11)

DR14 0.00 dB -16.36 dB 3:13 04-I Could Have Stood You Up
DR15 -0.38 dB -16.54 dB 3:17 01-Big Enough
DR12 -1.65 dB -15.58 dB 3:15 02-Take It So Hard
DR14 -1.06 dB -17.49 dB 4:10 03-Struggle
DR15 -1.62 dB -19.00 dB 4:53 05-Make No Mistake
DR14 -1.33 dB -17.50 dB 4:48 06-You Don't Move Me
DR13 -0.93 dB -16.55 dB 3:32 07-How I Wish
DR14 -1.45 dB -17.45 dB 4:39 08-Rockawhile
DR14 0.00 dB -16.51 dB 4:02 09-Whip It Up
DR14 -1.08 dB -18.38 dB 5:50 10-Locked Away
DR15 -0.13 dB -17.19 dB 5:22 11-It Means A Lot

Number of tracks: 11
Official DR value: DR14

Bitrate: 914 kbps
================================================================================

thumbs up I think we have to listen to old releases or bootlegs to get decent sound ...

Posted by: glimmertwin1 ()
Date: April 6, 2019 23:52

The leftovers cd:

foobar2000 1.4.3 / Dynamic Range Meter 1.1.1
log date: 2019-04-06 21:16:09

Analyzed: K. Richards / Mick Taylor / S. Jordan / Joey Spampinato / Johnnie Johnson / Talk Is Cheap-sessions 1987/88 (1)
Keith Richards / Johnnie Johnson / Mick Taylor / Talk Is Cheap-sessions 1987/88 (2-4)
Keith Richards / Talk Is Cheap-sessions 1987/88 (5-6)

DR6 -0.03 dB -7.85 dB 10:18 03-Slim
DR7 -0.03 dB -9.66 dB 4:39 01-Blues Jam
DR9 -0.03 dB -10.44 dB 3:13 02-My Babe
DR8 -0.03 dB -9.64 dB 4:20 04-Big Town Playboy
DR7 -0.03 dB -8.79 dB 5:51 05-Mark On Me
DR7 -0.08 dB -8.27 dB 4:00 06-Brute Force

Number of tracks: 6
Official DR value: DR7

Bitrate: 937 kbps

I really like the Johnnie tracks.

Booklet states Mick Taylor plays on the first 4 tracks.

Sound is a bit too loud / hot for my ears ?!?

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: April 7, 2019 00:03

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: April 7, 2019 00:22

^ That dude in the second video...lol...he almost has Keith's signature moves and posing down perfectly - kicks and all!
Looks like he was slowing down a bit towards the end though, and almost out of breath! grinning smiley

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: April 7, 2019 06:00

Maybe it's just me but it seems that they all come in a tad bit early on the fourth...

That dude in the 2nd video... POSEUR!

Posted by: keithsman ()
Date: April 7, 2019 09:29

Hairball
^ That dude in the second video...lol...he almost has Keith's signature moves and posing down perfectly - kicks and all!
Looks like he was slowing down a bit towards the end though, and almost out of breath! grinning smiley

Haha definitely has all the moves, enjoyed that, moved well for a big guy.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: April 7, 2019 11:31

MadMax

IMHO nothing comes close to Slipping Away, How Can I Stop, All About You or Coming Down Again. Sleep Tonite's a gem as well though maybe not in the same League as the aforementioned.

"Make No Mistake" and "Demon" are up there with the trax you mention (imo).

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: April 7, 2019 11:58

Props to the big guy doing How I Wish!

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: April 7, 2019 17:22

Mark on me and the last song dont do it for me. The other outtakes are great.
Jetoen

Posted by: deardoctor ()
Date: April 7, 2019 23:54

am I the only one, who is dissapointed from that outtakes?
Talk is cheap is beside Exile my absolute favorite album. I love the boodtleg outtakes as well and was so excited to get them in good quality and more unheard pearls - But where is "She Knew What She Wanted, Breakin', the embryonic Almost hear you sight, the extended an alternate versions, even MARK ON ME, the only real outtake is faded in, faded out without any love and without the great Hammond part near minute 13.
Insead we got Blues Jam sessions and two nice but not great covers. Waiting now for the 50-years edition...

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: April 8, 2019 00:39

deardoctor
Talk is cheap is beside Exile my absolute favorite album. I love the boodtleg outtakes as well and was so excited to get them in good quality and more unheard pearls - But where is "She Knew What She Wanted, Breakin', the embryonic Almost hear you sight, the extended an alternate versions, even MARK ON ME, the only real outtake is faded in, faded out without any love and without the great Hammond part near minute 13.
Insead we got Blues Jam sessions and two nice but not great covers. Waiting now for the 50-years edition...

Maybe the songs you mention have been worked by the Stones thru the years and made untouchable. My only disappointment is Mick Taylor and Bobby Keys are not up front on the songs they play on, especially Keys.

Posted by: GetYerAngie ()
Date: April 9, 2019 12:27

Have just received the reissue. It is aminor shock listening to Talk Is Cheap again. It hasn't aged very well. The first tracks are o.k. though. But as a whole there is less to enjoy, than I remembered. Keith's vocal can't make the jams and riffs come to life. Micks first two solo albums are not flawless masterpieces in any respect, but I will prefer listening to them anytime.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: April 9, 2019 12:38

Hasn't aged well ?

I think the opposite...

[...though my view may be coloured by the fact that I've listened to it regularly through all these last 30 years.

I like the clarity of the remastered vinyl...but still prefer the more natural dynamics and feel of the original release ]

Posted by: EJM ()
Date: April 9, 2019 13:05

Curiously, This was the CD that got me interested in the stones in the first place - a Beatles Girl through and through until this.

I’m not sure what it is about what it, because it’s very rough and ready - perhaps the sheer rage of songs like You Don’t Move Me Any More - which my daughter( in her teens - no interest in The Stones ) considered to be the absolutely ultimate break up song.

id love to have seen the Winos ( on a good night ) play live.

Date: April 9, 2019 13:43

deardoctor

Agree. Was expecting more n better stuff.
Jeroen

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: April 9, 2019 16:38

Some live material and/or video would have topped it off nicely. Still, I absolutely love the guitar box! Don't think there could be any improvement there.

Date: April 9, 2019 17:08

frankotero
Some live material and/or video would have topped it off nicely. Still, I absolutely love the guitar box! Don't think there could be any improvement there.

Yeah Frank,but i dont have the money for that one.
Jeroen

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: April 9, 2019 18:36

Bought it a couple of days ago. Standard 2 cd version. 13 euro.

First the Session disk, absolutely GREAT! Didn't know what to expect (don't have any TIC boots) and was blown away. I mean, I literally had a smile stamped on my face for two days in a row. Then I read here that some of you are disappointed ... a recording of Keith and the Winos, plus Johnnie Johnson AND Mick Taylor all of them together playing some tasty blues, and people on a Stones' board complain ... What next? Sharon Stone just a blond actress? The Gioconda just a painting?

Then the old Talk is Cheap. The record, we all know it. The sound, yes, slightly "hotter", less air, but hell, it's Keith Richards playing LOUD rock and roll, it ain't no harp and violin camera concert ... Particularly love the definition and added punch of the bass in this new recording.

C

Date: April 9, 2019 18:50

Agree liddas - bought the standard 2 cd version for $12 via amazon and am more than pleased, though certainly would have liked more stuff (live material, etc.).
And as a bonus special gift for myself bought the limited edition red vinyl via amazon for $22, so for a total of $34, I made my own customized deluxe version including the 2cd's and vinyl.
Final verdict: brand new Talk is Cheap Deluxe in 2019 = happy days are here again!

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: April 9, 2019 19:16

EJM
Curiously, This was the CD that got me interested in the stones in the first place - a Beatles Girl through and through until this.

I’m not sure what it is about what it, because it’s very rough and ready - perhaps the sheer rage of songs like You Don’t Move Me Any More - which my daughter( in her teens - no interest in The Stones ) considered to be the absolutely ultimate break up song.

lol yeah I guess it would make for a good break up song...

Date: April 9, 2019 19:30

Maindefender
EJM

lol yeah I guess it would make for a good break up song...

At the time it was released, and without knowing the full backstory of WWIII (and the fact it was directed at Mick), I related this tune to an aquaintance of mine who was in the grip of heavy addiction at the time.
Almost word for word, it pretty much summed up the situation between him and everyone around him...he was burning bridges left and right...nothing else mattered to him...you can only show support for someone up to a certain point...it was sad.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-04-09 19:33 by Hairball.

Posted by: kowalski ()
Date: April 10, 2019 03:00

I bought the 2-CD edition. I must say it's a very fine reissue. Love the book-like CD case. You can feel extra care was taken for the reissue. A beautiful object actuslly. Of course I wish the original album wasn't remastered so loud, but I still have the original CD - which sounded perfectly fine by the way. The bonus disc makes an interesting listening. Early takes on some of the album tracks would have made it even better imo.If only the classic Stones albums could be reissued with the same care...

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1213141516171819202122Next
Current Page: 18 of 22

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1908
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home