Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1213141516171819202122Next
Current Page: 17 of 22
Re: Keith Richards - Talk Is Cheap 30th Anniversary Edition
Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: April 4, 2019 03:02

Only thru side one, sound is improved IMO. Pronounced bass and a couple extra grunts in Big Enough. Really nice...thumbs upthumbs up

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: April 4, 2019 05:30

dcba
LeonidP
I am puzzled why b-sides were not part of this. Not too big a deal as I own them anyway (I know we had Key To The Highway, at least a live Gimme Shelter, and some Big Enough remixes

The 1st two were released in 1993 so they'd be part of a MO expanded edition. winking smiley

Maybe Keef decided to ditch the remixes as they reek of some "1980's record industry bullsh!t, man!" grinning smiley

Yes, - bad memory on my part. But Key To The Highway, actually was released a few years earlier as the same version is on Johnnie Johnson's "Johnnie B. Bad" album.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-04-04 05:30 by LeonidP.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: April 4, 2019 15:05

LeonidP
Yes, - bad memory on my part. But Key To The Highway, actually was released a few years earlier as the same version is on Johnnie Johnson's "Johnnie B. Bad" album.

yeah in 1991! winking smiley 3 years after TIC Leo! winking smiley

910621A 21st June: JOHNNIE JOHNSON.
CD ‘Johnnie B. Bad’ (Elektra Nonesuch American Explorer Series 61149 2, -
USA). Producer: KR. Recorded at Sorcerer Sound Studios, New York City on
the 29th - 30th January 1991 . Incl.
- Tanqueray (KR/Johnnie Johnson)
- Key To The Highway (William Broonzy/Charles Segar)

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: April 4, 2019 15:49

bye bye johnny
Nice photo tweeted by Steven Van Zandt - and some positive Mick news, too!

[twitter.com]

what a great shot!

Posted by: RafaLadilla ()
Date: April 4, 2019 15:52

Great

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: April 4, 2019 15:56

lem motlow
Make no mistake-when I say negative shit about Keith that’s inside stuff for the board and hardcore fans to digest.
In real life I’ve told guitar players right to their face that Keith Richards is the best rock and roll guitar player that ever lived-the stammering and but but Hendrix,Page and and and ..always makes me laugh.
I always say the same thing - what about the song? What about the groove.are you playing a song or just hitting a bunch of notes and making everyone say wow!?

He makes it look so easy that it fools you but have you ever heard anyone actually play a guitar like Keith.you end up with the Black Crowes or something and thinking “great,nice try kid”

With the tour coming up I’ve been listening to alot of boots,live and studio which is the only Stones I listen to anyway as well as Main Offender and Talk is Cheap.they are better than I remember.
Struggle has been in my head,the way he just nails that opening,da da dant da and then lets it hang for just the right second.man that’s timing,that’s guitar playing.
I’m gonna grab this set and circle back to cross eyed heart as well,I only gave it a quick listen and it didn’t really click the first time.

seems a reasonable amount of love for it...I only listened to it once as well and found it a snoozer...may give it another chance on the weekend.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: April 4, 2019 16:58

CROSSEYED HEART is, to me, anyway, what TALK IS CHEAP would've sounded like if he'd spent a good bit more time on it. As it is, TIC has some fantastic detailed moments. CH is a bit more intimate though.

I'm not comparing their reasons for existence - TIC came out of frustration and a new found musical life and a refining of a sound - Take It So Hard is just that exactly. CH was just because of existence, without anything to prove.

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: April 4, 2019 17:17

treaclefingers
lem motlow
Make no mistake-when I say negative shit about Keith that’s inside stuff for the board and hardcore fans to digest.
In real life I’ve told guitar players right to their face that Keith Richards is the best rock and roll guitar player that ever lived-the stammering and but but Hendrix,Page and and and ..always makes me laugh.
I always say the same thing - what about the song? What about the groove.are you playing a song or just hitting a bunch of notes and making everyone say wow!?

He makes it look so easy that it fools you but have you ever heard anyone actually play a guitar like Keith.you end up with the Black Crowes or something and thinking “great,nice try kid”

With the tour coming up I’ve been listening to alot of boots,live and studio which is the only Stones I listen to anyway as well as Main Offender and Talk is Cheap.they are better than I remember.
Struggle has been in my head,the way he just nails that opening,da da dant da and then lets it hang for just the right second.man that’s timing,that’s guitar playing.
I’m gonna grab this set and circle back to cross eyed heart as well,I only gave it a quick listen and it didn’t really click the first time.

seems a reasonable amount of love for it...I only listened to it once as well and found it a snoozer...may give it another chance on the weekend.
I had the exact same reaction. Listening right now to try to warm up to it.

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: April 4, 2019 17:32

GasLightStreet
CROSSEYED HEART is, to me, anyway, what TALK IS CHEAP would've sounded like if he'd spent a good bit more time on it. As it is, TIC has some fantastic detailed moments. CH is a bit more intimate though.

I'm not comparing their reasons for existence - TIC came out of frustration and a new found musical life and a refining of a sound - Take It So Hard is just that exactly. CH was just because of existence, without anything to prove.

I think "CH is a bit more intimate" is one the best descriptions I have read of the album, especially compared to TIC. I am listening to all three of them lately, and love them all, but CH is more of a unity. Which is - again - why it's such a pity that Blues In The Morning is on it. It's not intimate, it doesn't fit in, and - I know I am missing something here but nobody has been able to point out to me whát I am missing - it just sounds like an uninspired, loud 12 bar blues-rock without special melody, lick or anything else to make it stand out from just that.
But maybe I will change. I never liked Big Enough before but I am beginning to dig it, and I don't think Body Talks is as bad as I used to think (still the weakest link of MO though).

Date: April 4, 2019 17:56

Blues In The Morning is just the sound of Keith enjoying a Chuck Berry romp. That's all it is. It should've been the B-side to Trouble.

You're right, there's nothing specific about it, it's just a kind of run-through-have-fun rumble. I still laugh at "I don't care cause I'm a millionaire".

For me, It Means A Lot is the worst track on TALK IS CHEAP. I've never cared for Big Enough or Rockawhile but It Means A Lot is just bad.

MAIN OFFENDER has them in a row - Yap Yap and Bodytalks.

I can't stand it when an artist wants to "say something" and it's just an awful song... and it gets released, while usually something way better is left off.

Posted by: OpenG ()
Date: April 4, 2019 18:08

I agree CH is more intimate and Talk is Cheap is more raw with Keith's untamed songs and at times we have unfinished lyrics you want more as a listener, but I think its a great record and the bonus tracks with MT and JJ are great.

I listened to the radio show part 2 with Keith and Stevie and was shocked that Stevie asked Keith was there any blood between you and Mick Taylor and Keith immediately pushed back to Taylor's involvement with the 50th tour even though we all know MT was only on stage for a couple of songs etc. It was Keith's way of changing the subject in a positive way.

Date: April 4, 2019 19:38

OpenG
I agree CH is more intimate and Talk is Cheap is more raw with Keith's untamed songs and at times we have unfinished lyrics you want more as a listener, but I think its a great record and the bonus tracks with MT and JJ are great.

I listened to the radio show part 2 with Keith and Stevie and was shocked that Stevie asked Keith was there any blood between you and Mick Taylor and Keith immediately pushed back to Taylor's involvement with the 50th tour even though we all know MT was only on stage for a couple of songs etc. It was Keith's way of changing the subject in a positive way.

Keep in mind Keith had, officially, NO IDEA that MT had recorded on Plundered My Soul.

Date: April 5, 2019 00:04

TIC Rocks, this remaster is great such a cohesive effort. TIC, MO and CH are part of his solo trilogy.

Posted by: MadMax ()
Date: April 5, 2019 00:52

Interesting inputs lads! If I would make a 10 song album outta his trilogy it would go like this:

1. Big Enough (last 10 years it has grown enormously on me)
2. Heartstopper
3. Wicked As It Seems
4. You Don't Move Me
5. Something For Nothing
6. I Could Have Stood You Up (those lyrics!)
7. Yap Yap
8. Amnesia
9. Demon
10.Trouble

Date: April 5, 2019 01:27

In no particular order. To me so many cool songs

Take It So Hard
Eileen
Hate It a When You Leave
Wicked As It Seems
Words Of Wonder
Make No Mistake
You Don’t Move Me
Locked Away
Nothing On Me
Crosseyed Heart
Just A Gift
Amnesia
Blues In The Morning
Suspicious

On and on....

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: April 5, 2019 02:01

You Don't Move Me always tops my list, but there's dozens of fantastic tunes right behind it - including Demon

Date: April 5, 2019 02:46

Hairball
You Don't Move Me always tops my list, but there's dozens of fantastic tunes right behind it - including Demon

His vocals were never better than Main Offender

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-04-05 02:46 by Maindefender.

Date: April 5, 2019 04:01

Maindefender
Hairball

His vocals were never better than Main Offender

Demon is outstanding.

Date: April 5, 2019 04:46

My best-of playlist.

KEITH RICHARDS - TAKE IT SO HARD
Take It So Hard
Wicked As It Seems
Trouble
How I Wish
Heartstopper
Eileen
Struggle
Substantial Damage
Whip It Up
Will But You Won't
Amnesia
You Don't Move Me
Runnin' Too Deep
Something For Nothing
Nothing On Me
Make No Mistake
Robbed Blind
Hate It When You Leave
Suspicious
I Could've Stood You Up
Key To The Highway
Words Of Wonder
Lover's Plea
Illusion
Locked Away
Demon

Posted by: keithsman ()
Date: April 5, 2019 10:23

GasLightStreet
My best-of playlist.

KEITH RICHARDS - TAKE IT SO HARD
Take It So Hard
Wicked As It Seems
Trouble
How I Wish
Heartstopper
Eileen
Struggle
Substantial Damage
Whip It Up
Will But You Won't
Amnesia
You Don't Move Me
Runnin' Too Deep
Something For Nothing
Nothing On Me
Make No Mistake
Robbed Blind
Hate It When You Leave
Suspicious
I Could've Stood You Up
Key To The Highway
Words Of Wonder
Lover's Plea
Illusion
Locked Away
Demon

Now that's what i call a playlist smileys with beer

Date: April 5, 2019 10:34

GasLightStreet
Blues In The Morning is just the sound of Keith enjoying a Chuck Berry romp. That's all it is. It should've been the B-side to Trouble.

You're right, there's nothing specific about it, it's just a kind of run-through-have-fun rumble. I still laugh at "I don't care cause I'm a millionaire".

For me, It Means A Lot is the worst track on TALK IS CHEAP. I've never cared for Big Enough or Rockawhile but It Means A Lot is just bad.

I have to disagree here on two counts. I love Rockawhile. True, it's not a "song", rather a "jam", although I have the feeling the occasional chord changes and backing vocals combinations are more orchestrated than it seems (which is one of the typical things of Keith solo: the way he plays around with guitar-parts, lead vocals and back vocals as if they're pieces in a jig-saw puzzle) but it's just so laid back cool and groovy, I find it delightful.
"It Means A Lot" is even less of a song. I like it because it's one the best showcases of what sort of guitar player Keith Richard is: a true rhythm guitar player. It's rhythm and riffs all over the place. True: no melody or harmony to speak off, just a rambling riffing chaos (although again: probably more arranged than it seems), but it works for me.

MAIN OFFENDER has them in a row - Yap Yap and Bodytalks.

I can't stand it when an artist wants to "say something" and it's just an awful song... and it gets released, while usually something way better is left off.

Yap yap is another one I could do without, yeah. But I don't feel the need to skip it persé.

Date: April 5, 2019 10:40

If I would have to stick to ten (although there are more of course):

1. Wicked As It Seems
2. Hate It When You Leave
3. Illusion
4. Suspicious
5. Lover's Plea
6. You Don't Move Me
7. Take It So Hard
8. Make No Mistake
9. Rockawhile
10. Eileen

But, of course, I would miss the rest. A better option would to put all three albums together but skip Yap Yap, Body Talks and Blues In The Morning.

Posted by: MadMax ()
Date: April 5, 2019 15:09

..I dig Yap Yap, me Thinks it's his best slow song , agree with Main Offender, the best voice was in 92-93. Hate It When You Leave obviously a golden nugget too, it's just that Yap Yap is such a typical "Keef song", like a jig-zaw puzzle.

The same goes for Rockawhile and Something For Nothing, such hypnotic songs, the harmonies dictate the monotone chord Changes in such a beautiful way. Only Keith can compose like that.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-04-05 15:12 by MadMax.

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: April 5, 2019 16:50

I wonder why when we discuss Keith solo, Wingless Angels never gets mentioned.

Despite not having any KR songs on them I consider those two WA albums, the second in particular, fully legitimate KR babies!

C

Date: April 5, 2019 16:51

To add to my post above, the second WA album is up there with the best music KR ever released!

C

Date: April 5, 2019 18:00

liddas

Despite not having any KR songs on them I consider those two WA albums, the second in particular, fully legitimate KR babies!

C

I only know the first, which, indeed is great. And it shows a side of Keith which especially non-Stones fans wouldn't easily know: subtlety (impossible word to write by the way).
So, the second is even better? I thought it would be just left-overs from the 1st session. In what way is it better? Is it still available anywhere anyway?

Posted by: bleedingman ()
Date: April 5, 2019 18:01

Events in my life between the original release and this new one make "How I Wish" much more poignant. I always thought of Stu but now...well, there are other people (and pets) that I wish were here again. I am enjoying this very much, including the bonus tracks, such as they are.

Date: April 5, 2019 18:18

matxil
liddas

C

I only know the first, which, indeed is great. And it shows a side of Keith which especially non-Stones fans wouldn't easily know: subtlety (impossible word to write by the way).
So, the second is even better? I thought it would be just left-overs from the 1st session. In what way is it better? Is it still available anywhere anyway?

One could say that WA I is WA's live album (with overdubs) while WA II is their studio album.

WA II has the same vibe, but Justin Hinds' stellar vocals and the usual subtle (impossible indeed to write) layers of guitars and basses and vocals that characterize all Keith albums bring the songs to a stellar level.

If you like WA I, you will love II. In particular if you play it LOUD, dancing open air in a hot summer night!

C

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-04-05 18:19 by liddas.

Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: April 5, 2019 19:45

Keith Richards - 'Talk is Cheap' in conversation with Steven Van Zandt - Part 3

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: April 5, 2019 20:21

Thank you, bye bye johnny! smileys with beer

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1213141516171819202122Next
Current Page: 17 of 22

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1842
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home