Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...7891011121314151617...LastNext
Current Page: 12 of 22
Re: Keith Richards - Talk Is Cheap 30th Anniversary Edition
Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: March 28, 2019 17:34

On the eve of the release of the 30th Anniversary Edition of ‘Talk Is Cheap’, Keith sits down with Jim Kerr for an @iHeartRadio Icons exclusive interview. Listen TONIGHT at 9PM ET/6PM PT on your local iHeart classic rock station or at [www.iheart.com]

#iHeartKeithRichards

[twitter.com]

Date: March 28, 2019 19:07

Talking with Keith: 30 years since Talk Is Cheap

By Robyn Doreian
March 28, 2019

[www.smh.com.au]

Posted by: keithsman ()
Date: March 28, 2019 19:28

retired_dog
lem motlow
dcba
"There was no agenda going in," Richards said. "We just thought, 'Let's see what comes of this.… Playing with a bunch of guys I'd known for ages and always wanted to play together, more than just on odd sessions here and there, it all fell together so naturally, it was really quite a joy.'"

Translation :
by 1987 the Stones were kaput. Mick had scored a point with his solo career so I needed to catch up. So I did TIC. I lost quite a lot of dough with the tour and I realized my fame was not that big after all. So when Mick offered a truce in 1989 I said "yes". grinning smiley

This is so true-I love Keith,he’s the same dirtbag he’s always been.the guy could sell ice cubes to an Eskimo.
He’s got his groupies thinking that solo gig was a great success, it wasn’t.it bombed even worse than Jaggers.Hes got this whole 30th anniversary thing going for an album that peaked at #25 in the States.
I think Main Offender topped out around # 85 or something.
That band was about half as good as the New Barbarians and shouldn’t be mentioned in the same breath as the Stones.
“I’m lucky to have been in two great bands”-ok, bro.
I have a friend who met him in the airport ,the whole band were getting off of a Southwest Airlines flight.
He needed that 89 tour,they all did.

I can already smell the hot breath of snipers lining up against you both...a quick and cold reality check is not everybody's taste... Take care, dcba and lem!

Lol, no it's OK, i'm in a great mood today, i'll let it ride grinning smiley

Date: March 28, 2019 21:02

keefriff99
Spud
It's not funny but you can't help but smile.

Keith has a long history of confusing the idea of "going straight" with the exchange of one addiction for another.

If he stops drinking JD and starts guzzling Vodka and Orange instead...as far as he's concerned he's kicked it.
Look, we've all, as fans, been morbidly fascinated by Keith's decadent lifestyle over the decades.

I don't care if he's having a few drinks while reminiscing about Talk Is Cheap. I just hope he doesn't keep the party going into the tour. I'm amazed he's altered his lifestyle as much as he has over the past few years...he's not 40 or 50 or even 60 anymore.

I don't think now that Keith will completely stop drinking like Ronnie, Clapton or Joe Walsh, he's an on and off sort of guy, like me he can easily stop for 5 or 6 months and then he gets that itch that won't leave him alone.
I do hope he gets it out of his system in time for the tour, because it was so obvious he was better for being sober last year.
I know i'm a bit thick but can someone explain the 30th anniversary , 1988 and now its 2019 confused smiley

Posted by: GivenToFly15 ()
Date: March 28, 2019 21:48

Got my 2CD copy today. Can't say i'm impressed with the "bonus tracks" on the second cd, except maybe for "Mark On Me" which sounds great. "Brute Force" sounds like some of the jams on the Voodoo Brew/Stew sessions.

Posted by: rogerriffin ()
Date: March 28, 2019 21:58

basically second cd contains blues jams, not too bad, but i think he did not released on original lp because it does not match with the target he wanted to reach that time.

Great, i´m fine with deluxe edition, jpc.de send me a notification it´s on the way!

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: March 28, 2019 22:16

GivenToFly15
Got my 2CD copy today. Can't say i'm impressed with the "bonus tracks" on the second cd, except maybe for "Mark On Me" which sounds great. "Brute Force" sounds like some of the jams on the Voodoo Brew/Stew sessions.

Does it sound remastered? My copy arrives next week from Amazon(Why not tomorrow?)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-03-28 22:17 by Maindefender.

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: March 28, 2019 23:03

maumau
retired_dog
lem motlow
dcba
"There was no agenda going in," Richards said. "We just thought, 'Let's see what comes of this.… Playing with a bunch of guys I'd known for ages and always wanted to play together, more than just on odd sessions here and there, it all fell together so naturally, it was really quite a joy.'"

Translation :
by 1987 the Stones were kaput. Mick had scored a point with his solo career so I needed to catch up. So I did TIC. I lost quite a lot of dough with the tour and I realized my fame was not that big after all. So when Mick offered a truce in 1989 I said "yes". grinning smiley

This is so true-I love Keith,he’s the same dirtbag he’s always been.the guy could sell ice cubes to an Eskimo.
He’s got his groupies thinking that solo gig was a great success, it wasn’t.it bombed even worse than Jaggers.Hes got this whole 30th anniversary thing going for an album that peaked at #25 in the States.
That band was about half as good as the New Barbarians and shouldn’t be mentioned in the same breath as the Stones.
I have a friend who met him in the airport ,the whole band were getting off of a Southwest Airlines flight.

I can already smell the hot breath of snipers lining up against you both...a quick and cold reality check is not everybody's taste... Take care, dcba and lem!

I am no sniper and hopefully got no hot breath

I just question the point of measuring the quality of something creative trough the lens of how it peaked on the charts. It is a dumb way of measuring. Crap can peak very high in the charts. Sometimes great albums can too. Sometimes they don't.
If you don't like the album or Expensive Winos is very fine with me, I just disagree, but if you try to translate this taste into objectivity or "a reality check" well..

It had to happen...it simply had to happen...reactions like these are just too foreseeable - taking my obviously not all too serious remark at face value by insinuating something that I never said, this "don't like the album or Expensive Winos"-thing.

Look, I love Talk Is Cheap and the Hollywood Palladium album, and to a lesser degree Main Offender (simply because imo aimless riffing or jamming far outweighs the excellent songs on that one). What I don't like is the idea of Stones members going solo with song material that would have fitted the Stones and that of course includes Mick too. It robbed us of at least one, if not two fantastic Stones album(s) in a time period when their band creativity began to wane.

Other than you, I still believe that for both Keith and Mick the (relative) commercial failure of their solo efforts were indeed a reality check in a way that if they wanted to maintain their luxurious or at least totally independent lifestyles, it would be wise to revitalize their safety net, the Stones.

Or do you think this happened for purely artistic reasons? I think 4 albums in 30 years tell a different story. They simply are no Scott Walkers who did whatever he wanted to do with no sales figures in mind. With that kind of artistic attitude, they could as well have continued their solo adventures, putting the Stones, their limitations and endless fights about the direction of the band finally to rest.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-03-29 01:44 by retired_dog.

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: March 29, 2019 01:50

keithsman
retired_dog
lem motlow
dcba

Translation :

Lol, no it's OK, i'm in a great mood today, i'll let it ride grinning smiley

I knew you would recognize the "tongue-in-cheek"-nature of my remark, keithsman!

PS: Some pretty good posts by you in the Wyman-thread recently.

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: March 29, 2019 01:54

I find myself revisiting Main Offender more often than TiC.

I fully admit that TiC is a better, more complete, more well though-out album, but Main Offender rocks harder to my ears. Some of those riffs are just nasty, relentless, and heavy as hell.

A lot of them are half-realized sketches of songs, but...just my preference.

Date: March 29, 2019 02:18

get mine tomorrow

Posted by: longlongwinter ()
Date: March 29, 2019 04:40

Who's the jackass dismissing the Wino's? I witnessed them live at the Palladium. Phenomenal band!

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: March 29, 2019 05:37

The whole album (including bonus tracks) is on Spotify

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: March 29, 2019 07:04

keefriff99

I fully admit that TiC is a better, more complete, more well though-out album, but Main Offender rocks harder to my ears. Some of those riffs are just nasty, relentless, and heavy as hell.

thumbs up
TIC is a great album...but i prefer Main Offender!

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: March 29, 2019 07:31

It’s not a knock on Keith,he’s in his element when holding court with his drinks and smokes and telling stories about the past.
Everyone knows he embellishes and makes things up but it’s part of his charm,he’s not testifying in a murder trial.
Pointing it out doesn’t mean I hate Keith,that’s silly.I actually find the stuff he says hilarious most of the time.
It’s an old tradition with the Stones,Bill said in the early days Brian would make up crazy shit and tell the press and they would just print it as gospel and the band would read it later and go into fits of laughter.

Date: March 29, 2019 10:40

lem motlow
It’s not a knock on Keith,he’s in his element when holding court with his drinks and smokes and telling stories about the past.
Everyone knows he embellishes and makes things up but it’s part of his charm,he’s not testifying in a murder trial.
Pointing it out doesn’t mean I hate Keith,that’s silly.I actually find the stuff he says hilarious most of the time.
It’s an old tradition with the Stones,Bill said in the early days Brian would make up crazy shit and tell the press and they would just print it as gospel and the band would read it later and go into fits of laughter.

Keith is great with a drink in hand while holding court in an interview situation as you point out, he can be imaginative and entertaining, it's just that drinking doesn't work for him while performing live on stage in the same way, this goes way back to 99' 2003' tours, the last time he could pull it off, ( probably because it was meshed with a bit of coke to sharpen his razor. ) Drinking and getting loaded leading up to showtime ( probably to calm the nerves ) is holding 75 year old Keith back, it's making him look and sound indecisive and lost, he lacks energy and focus and appears tired throughout, his solo's are just plain uncomfortable to watch. I think Keith knows it, i don't think he is in denial about it because he admits it himself, he was banging on about how well he and Ronnie hit it off last year weaving together and in Keith's words, still getting better.
The bottom line is i think we are confusing Kieth with someone who gives a damn, when Keith's in the drink he's in the drink, all this BS about a glass of wine only at meal times, oh come on !!!

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: March 29, 2019 10:55

keefriff99

I recently bought all three of his albums on CD (I only had them on vinyl and my record player broke down) and I still like all three of them. They all have their weak (Big Enough, Body Talks, Blues in the Morning) and their strong (Make No Mistake, Hate It When You Leave, Illusion), their cool (Rockawhile, Wicked As It Seems, Trouble) and their odd-one-out (It Means A Lot, Substantial Damage).
I find Talk Is Cheap less of a unity as Main Offender or Crosseyed Heart, but I think on average I listen to all three of them equally.

Posted by: deardoctor ()
Date: March 29, 2019 11:21

Ok, listened to the bonus CD. It's great to get some outtakes - but the pearls are still in the safe. Instead we got some jam sessions, some cover-jams and not half of the great tune mark on me. What a shame...

Date: March 29, 2019 11:25

matxil
keefriff99

I recently bought all three of his albums on CD (I only had them on vinyl and my record player broke down) and I still like all three of them. They all have their weak (Big Enough, Body Talks, Blues in the Morning) and their strong (Make No Mistake, Hate It When You Leave, Illusion), their cool (Rockawhile, Wicked As It Seems, Trouble) and their odd-one-out (It Means A Lot, Substantial Damage).
I find Talk Is Cheap less of a unity as Main Offender or Crosseyed Heart, but I think on average I listen to all three of them equally.

If you think Blues In The Morning is weak, what can i say.

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: March 29, 2019 12:29

deardoctor
Ok, listened to the bonus CD. It's great to get some outtakes - but the pearls are still in the safe. Instead we got some jam sessions, some cover-jams and not half of the great tune mark on me. What a shame...

Yeah, I don't like that concept of bonus CDs and special editions. I just bought the normal standard Talk Is Cheap. The extras I can listen to on YouTube once or twice. The only special edition CD I have is Exile and I never ever listen to the second CD with all the "special stuff". It's just not very good.
The best version of an album is almost always the way it was brought out originally.

Posted by: Ross ()
Date: March 29, 2019 12:37

I may be in the minority, but I love the bonus disc! It reminds me of Jamming With Edward. Where that little gem was a showcase for Nicky Hopkins, this one features the great Johnnie Johnson. I love the loose jams and the songs fit the mood. Nice "bonus"!

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: March 29, 2019 12:56

keithsman
matxil
keefriff99

If you think Blues In The Morning is weak, what can i say.

Some folks just don't appreciate old school Rock N Roll played the way it's supposed to be.

...and it never required any any Ivor Novello awards to hit the spot.

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: March 29, 2019 14:12

Ross
I may be in the minority, but I love the bonus disc! It reminds me of Jamming With Edward. Where that little gem was a showcase for Nicky Hopkins, this one features the great Johnnie Johnson. I love the loose jams and the songs fit the mood. Nice "bonus"!

That's what I want......had Jamming on last weekend, fit the house perfectly thumbs up

Posted by: NedKellyBandit ()
Date: March 29, 2019 16:05

Mine Deluxe Edition arrived today.
Wow. Great. I love the Outtakes.
Fanatastic Vinyl Sound. High quality pressings.
Great Book. Worth every Euro.

cool smiley

Posted by: drewmaster ()
Date: March 29, 2019 16:07

keefriff99

Yep, agreed. The song-writing is more consistent on TiC but MO rocks harder. CH, on the other hand, only has a couple of tracks that move me ("Amnesia" and "Substantial Damage"), the rest are a snooze-fest.

Drew

Posted by: MadMax ()
Date: March 29, 2019 16:16

They all got their own qualities. Big Enough is such a cool sleazy start, and then I love 999's showdown with the mexican shoe scraping… Crosseyed Heart blendin' into Heartstopper and then straight onto Amnesia. My favourites from each one are: You Don't Move Me, Wicked As it Seems and Something For Nothing. Only Keith can come up with that melodic hypnotizing groove we all love. SFN is pure genius! So simple yet great!smileys with beer

Date: March 29, 2019 16:42

KEEF ENCOUNTER Keith Richards on the reissue of debut solo album Talk Is Cheap, giving up booze and appreciating Mick Jagger

The Rolling Stones legend tells the fascinating story of Talk Is Cheap 30 years after his debut solo album came out

By Simon Cosyns
28th March 2019

Keith Richards photographed for his debut solo album Talk Is Cheap from 1988

[www.thesun.co.uk]

Posted by: Bashlets ()
Date: March 29, 2019 17:46

I know we all have different opinions but If CROSSEYED HEART is a snooze fest then that’s a sleep I really love. LOL

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: March 29, 2019 17:48

Bashlets
I know we all have different opinions but If CROSSEYED HEART is a snooze fest then that’s a sleep I really love. LOL
smileys with beer
Jeroen

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: March 29, 2019 17:55

Listened to the bonus tracks, nothing to write home about but pleasant enough, especially "Slim". Can't say I hear Taylor much on these bonus tracks ?

Still don't understand what they didn't include "Breakin'" ? Are they possibly saving it for a DW Deluxe 10 years down the road ? Or because they didn't want to have a "Jagger-Richards" credit on a solo project ?

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...7891011121314151617...LastNext
Current Page: 12 of 22

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1974
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home