Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...56789101112131415...LastNext
Current Page: 10 of 22
Re: Keith Richards - Talk Is Cheap 30th Anniversary Edition
Posted by: donvis ()
Date: March 24, 2019 01:15

Actually Billboard magazine named the TIC tour as small venue tour of the year. How do you know he lost money?
dcba
"There was no agenda going in," Richards said. "We just thought, 'Let's see what comes of this.… Playing with a bunch of guys I'd known for ages and always wanted to play together, more than just on odd sessions here and there, it all fell together so naturally, it was really quite a joy.'"

Translation :
by 1987 the Stones were kaput. Mick had scored a point with his solo career so I needed to catch up. So I did TIC. I lost quite a lot of dough with the tour and I realized my fame was not that big after all. So when Mick offered a truce in 1989 I said "yes". grinning smiley

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: March 24, 2019 02:07

MelBelli
Wall Street Journal piece on TIC reissue:

[www.wsj.com]

Also, Keith will talk with Steve on Tuesday night on SiriusXM Volume channel.

The WSJ website has a paywall, but here are some excerpts posted on Yahoo.Com:

Keith Richards: going solo taught me to respect Mick Jagger

He’s the co-founder of one of the most iconic bands on the planet, but that doesn’t mean Keith Richards always gets on with his bandmates. He does respect them though, especially Mick Jagger.

Richards and Jagger’s friendship has spanned decades, but the rocker finally started to appreciate just how hard fronting The Rolling Stones is, when he went solo himself, he explained in an interview in The Wall Street Journal.

“I appreciated Mick’s job a whole lot more. Being the frontman is like nonstop, man. It’s constant. That’s what I had to learn. I came to appreciate the pressure of being a frontman. With Mick, the man knows his stuff.”

The rocker found himself with time on his hands after Jagger started working on his own solo work in the 1980s.

“To be honest, I felt lost for a bit. Then, very quickly, I realised this was an opportunity to spread my wings.” He formed X-Pensive Winos with drummer Steve Jordan and picked up a song he’d be working on for a while Take It So Hard.

“Take It So Hard was the first song Steve and I worked on. It had been on my back burner for a while, since maybe ’84, when I first came up with the guitar riff.”

The band quickly realised to make the song really work, Richards had to take centre stage. A position usually filled by Jagger.

“The biggest challenge for me was figuring out how to sing as a frontman. With the Stones all those years, I just stepped up to the mic to sing a few words and stepped back. I wasn’t singing for an extended period.

“On Take It So Hard, I had to think, “I’m gonna have to sing these all the way through. How do I handle it?” I learned a lot about being a lead singer.”

Of course, respecting his friend doesn’t always mean he says the right thing in public about him. In fact Richards had to publicly apologise to The Rolling Stones frontman last year after he joked Jagger should maybe get a vasectomy. The 73-year-old had just become a father again, for the eighth time.

The 30th anniversary edition of Talk Is Cheap, Richards’ debut solo album on which Take It So Hard originally featured, is being released next week on March 29.

[sports.yahoo.com]

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: March 24, 2019 10:36

keefriffhard4life
gotdablouse
That quote makes me wonder when TISH was actually "written". It's odd that it doesn't appear to have been tried out during the endless DW sessions. Also what does Keith mean by "written" since he's been known to arrive in the studio (especially at the time) with only basic ideas/riffs that he played forever before they "gelled".

my guess the song was not even around during the DW sessions to try. probably written after that and he wrote it for whenever a new stones album would happen but instead used it for a solo release before the SW sessions started

Started in 1984 according to this [www.wsj.com] but not ready enough for the DW sessions...a bit strange considering the endless noodling around bits and pieces of little interest during these sessions !

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: March 24, 2019 10:40

donvis
Actually Billboard magazine named the TIC tour as small venue tour of the year. How do you know he lost money?

He admitted it to French journalist Laurent Chalumeau. It's actually one of the most revealing interviews KR ever gave. After 15-20 minutes of initial blah-blah the journo feels Keef was giving him the usual PR bs, so he decided to kick the interviewee in the balls so to speak.

And Keef went along, giving a tell-tale interview, being brutally honest, mocking the "rock'n roll lifestyle" myth, among other things.
There's one thing I remember : "Often, after a show I phoned my wife [Patty?] and I went to bed. Alone."

Funny that Mr Rock'n roll tells you he lived the life of a truck driver... winking smiley

Posted by: mick64 ()
Date: March 24, 2019 14:09

I read that October 14 the box for problems instead of March 29 is true or not

Date: March 24, 2019 19:34

MelBelli
Wall Street Journal piece on TIC reissue:

[www.wsj.com]

Also, Keith will talk with Steve on Tuesday night on SiriusXM Volume channel.

By the way, WSJ chose this great photo to illustrate the article:

Posted by: keithsman ()
Date: March 25, 2019 10:21

dcba
donvis

He admitted it to French journalist Laurent Chalumeau. It's actually one of the most revealing interviews KR ever gave. After 15-20 minutes of initial blah-blah the journo feels Keef was giving him the usual PR bs, so he decided to kick the interviewee in the balls so to speak.

And Keef went along, giving a tell-tale interview, being brutally honest, mocking the "rock'n roll lifestyle" myth, among other things.
There's one thing I remember : "Often, after a show I phoned my wife [Patty?] and I went to bed. Alone."

Funny that Mr Rock'n roll tells you he lived the life of a truck driver... winking smiley

Every show was a sell out and received rave reviews, merchandise was selling like hot cakes, the band partly toured on a tour bus, minimal fuss was made and the stage set was as basic as can be. On the surface of it the tour was a success. Did Keith over pay his band members ? probably. Did Keith need his band to do more shows to make the whole tour a sizable financial profit ? possibly. Did Keith need to make a huge profit ? No
Did he really lose money as he said in interview ? it's anyone's guess, and i doubt he even knows or cares, he's worth 300 million pounds.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-03-25 12:41 by keithsman.

Posted by: nankerphlege ()
Date: March 25, 2019 16:49

keithsman
dcba
donvis

Every show was a sell out and received rave reviews, merchandise was selling like hot cakes, the band partly toured on a tour bus, minimal fuss was made and the stage set was as basic as can be. On the surface of it the tour was a success. Did Keith over pay his band members ? probably. Did Keith need his band to do more shows to make the whole tour a sizable financial profit ? possibly. Did Keith need to make a huge profit ? No
Did he really lose money as he said in interview ? it's anyone's guess, and i doubt he even knows or cares, he's worth 300 million pounds.

That’s more like classic Keith to do the “anti” thing. Living a truck driver’s lifestyle is the “anti” rock star thing, which would be would be the opposite of what people would expect him to do.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: March 25, 2019 17:25

mick64
I read that October 14 the box for problems instead of March 29 is true or not

I got a message from Amazon on Friday advising of a delayed October date for the vinyl remaster I've ordered...

..but I got another e-mail the following day implying that it was a mistake and confirming the shipping date once again as 29th March.

I'll wait until the CD is in the shop and then pick that up for the extra material.

It really annoys me when they don't pot it out on vinyl

Date: March 25, 2019 20:38

Ivan Neville surprised us with a visit when doing the interview with Steve Jordan on Laying it Down”, his show on Siriusxm Volume #106
Tuesday 8:00pm EST. Photo: Kevin Mazur

[www.instagram.com]

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: March 25, 2019 20:44

Hope someone can n will post it on wetransfer.
Thanks. Jeroen

Posted by: MelBelli ()
Date: March 25, 2019 20:45

Not to be churlish, but, uh, is Keith dying his hair again?

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: March 25, 2019 21:02

MelBelli
Not to be churlish, but, uh, is Keith dying his hair again?[/quote

Yeah Yeah, thats why Steve and Ivan are laughing. they are joking about his hair..

Jeroen

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-03-25 21:03 by runrudolph.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: March 25, 2019 22:57

Dying his hair again...makes him look a hundred days younger...

Date: March 25, 2019 23:15

Cristiano Radtke
Ivan Neville surprised us with a visit when doing the interview with Steve Jordan on Laying it Down”, his show on Siriusxm Volume #106

[www.instagram.com]

Wow Keith dying his hair after all this time, and am i right in thinking the bold spot has gone too, he looks great though, now we got three guys in the band with a midlife crisis grinning smiley

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: March 25, 2019 23:27

Ivan's explaining to Steve how he massaged the dye inta Keith's scalp....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: snorton ()
Date: March 25, 2019 23:30

keithsman
Cristiano Radtke

[www.instagram.com]

Wow Keith dying his hair after all this time, and am i right in thinking the bold spot has gone too, he looks great though, now we got three guys in the band with a midlife crisis grinning smiley

How is this photo current, considering the photo of Keith and his daughter on the as seen below, he hasn't died his hair in a few years?

[iorr.org]

Date: March 25, 2019 23:32

Talk Is Cheap -- Deluxe wooden set on table

ROCKMAN

Posted by: damnation ()
Date: March 26, 2019 00:22

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-03-26 00:22 by damnation.

Date: March 26, 2019 00:56

snorton
keithsman
Cristiano Radtke

[www.instagram.com]

How is this photo current, considering the photo of Keith and his daughter on the as seen below, he hasn't died his hair in a few years?

[iorr.org]

Well i just assume it's a recent photo taken from the interview, although that's an old T/shirt I've seen on Keith years ago, but then again Keith has his favorites and he wears them to death.

Date: March 26, 2019 01:01

"Keith Richards is no stranger to a stage, but he’s well aware of how difficult it is being a frontman. Hear his full interview 3/26 at 8pm ET on SiriusXM VOLUME."

Short video here: [www.facebook.com]

Date: March 26, 2019 01:04

Okay there ya go …. its the Talk Is Cheap Deluxe but not thee Wooden Deluxe

ROCKMAN

Date: March 26, 2019 01:09

Cristiano Radtke
"Keith Richards is no stranger to a stage, but he’s well aware of how difficult it is being a frontman. Hear his full interview 3/26 at 8pm ET on SiriusXM VOLUME."

Short video here: [www.facebook.com]

Yep that's Keith with the dyed hair and it's recent and he looks and sounds brilliant, if slightly inebriated, he's gonna outlive us all smoking smiley

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: March 26, 2019 01:17

Oh god, WHY is he mucking with hair dye again?? He looks great gray.

Date: March 26, 2019 01:18

It's his party and he'll dye if he wants to …..

ROCKMAN

Date: March 26, 2019 01:40

keefriff99

Yeah and what happened to Keith saying all those toxins in the hair dye are bad for you. A change of heart, Keith's got something up his sleeve.
Maybe Keith's signed up for the life extension program that Mick's on, if he starts running either side of the stage during brown Sugar and Satisfaction it's a dead giveaway.

Date: March 26, 2019 02:08

keithsman
keefriff99

Yeah and what happened to Keith saying all those toxins in the hair dye are bad for you. A change of heart, Keith's got something up his sleeve.
Maybe Keith's signed up for the life extension program that Mick's on, if he starts running either side of the stage during brown Sugar and Satisfaction it's a dead giveaway.
He also sounds pretty trashed in this interview...not a good sign.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: March 26, 2019 02:11

The color of the dye job looks to be a 'Smokey Cigarette Grey' with a bit of 'Whiskey Barrel Brown' blended in...or maybe it's 'HP Sauce Brown'...smiling smiley

Date: March 26, 2019 02:20

keefriff99
keithsman
keefriff99

Remember to take your ear plugs for the solo's on SFTD and butchered lyrics in all the wrong places on Can't Be Seen, not to mention he will forget how to play the intro to SMU and Happy. Expect lots of glaring looks from Mick and Chuck will take over most of the Tatar work with synth keys, can't wait.

Date: March 26, 2019 03:07

keithsman
keefriff99
keithsman
keefriff99

Remember to take your ear plugs for the solo's on SFTD and butchered lyrics in all the wrong places on Can't Be Seen, not to mention he will forget how to play the intro to SMU and Happy. Expect lots of glaring looks from Mick and Chuck will take over most of the Tatar work with synth keys, can't wait.
I'm not THAT pessimistic, but Keith has spent several recent interviews talking about his new-found sobriety, and here he is sounding REALLY tipsy.

Maybe he just decided to indulge for one day for this interview, but it looks a bit ominous.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...56789101112131415...LastNext
Current Page: 10 of 22

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1796
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home