Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...4567891011121314...LastNext
Current Page: 9 of 22
Re: Keith Richards - Talk Is Cheap 30th Anniversary Edition
Posted by: keithsman ()
Date: March 10, 2019 14:07

Rockman
Yes I have to say that Take It So Hard was actually written for the Stones. I had it written before the idea of the Winos even existed.

mmmmmmmmmmmmmm woulda been interesting to hear ….

It might have sounded like One More Shot, Mick would have struggled with it, especially Live.
I wonder if the reason this new album is taking so long is because Mick and Keith keep deliberately taking each others songs on a path the other doesn't like or want to go down. Like Keith comes up with Tempo's that Mick wants to speed up and visa versa.
Keith could come up with a new Gimme Shelter type track and Mick goes "na Keith i want it to sound like kinda funky an nat, or do a Samba Keef cos it's orrible'' haha

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: March 10, 2019 15:26

That quote makes me wonder when TISH was actually "written". It's odd that it doesn't appear to have been tried out during the endless DW sessions. Also what does Keith mean by "written" since he's been known to arrive in the studio (especially at the time) with only basic ideas/riffs that he played forever before they "gelled".

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Date: March 10, 2019 17:16

gotdablouse
That quote makes me wonder when TISH was actually "written". It's odd that it doesn't appear to have been tried out during the endless DW sessions. Also what does Keith mean by "written" since he's been known to arrive in the studio (especially at the time) with only basic ideas/riffs that he played forever before they "gelled".

my guess the song was not even around during the DW sessions to try. probably written after that and he wrote it for whenever a new stones album would happen but instead used it for a solo release before the SW sessions started

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: March 10, 2019 18:00

keithsman

Me thinks Keith has unfinished business with the Wino's and Keith would love to play with them again

But he knows this is a far more physical job than playing guitar for the Stones : in the Winos Keef is the frontman and main axeman which is much more demanding. Plus the Winos' music has an undeniable muscular side, the Stones' doesn't.

Conclusion ; Keef knows he'll never play again with them. It's too late.

Posted by: The Joker ()
Date: March 10, 2019 23:17

Talk Is Cheap Deluxe Edition.. Not cheap

Date: March 11, 2019 00:52

dcba
keithsman

Me thinks Keith has unfinished business with the Wino's and Keith would love to play with them again

But he knows this is a far more physical job than playing guitar for the Stones : in the Winos Keef is the frontman and main axeman which is much more demanding. Plus the Winos' music has an undeniable muscular side, the Stones' doesn't.

Conclusion ; Keef knows he'll never play again with them. It's too late.

I think it's still possible for Keith to accomplish and i have a sneaky feeling he intends to do a few shows with the Wino's if the Stones call it a day this year.
Obviously he would have to slow the pace down by including more slow songs and those legendary Wino's extended solo workouts will have to be cut shorter, but its definitely possible for Keith to do a full show with them.
Not a long tour or anything, just half a dozen shows spread over a few weeks to showcase some tracks from Crosseyed Heart, and maybe Keith can bring along another vocalist to help out and give him a breather like he did with Sarah Dash on Time Is On My Side. Perhaps Norah Jones can join in on a couple of numbers, i don't see why not.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-03-11 00:57 by keithsman.

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: March 11, 2019 10:28

Really love Keef,but i dont think any shows with the Winos will happen. If the Stones call it a day..its over.maybe a solo album but not a tour.
Jeroen

Date: March 11, 2019 10:37

runrudolph
Really love Keef,but i dont think any shows with the Winos will happen. If the Stones call it a day..its over.maybe a solo album but not a tour.
Jeroen

Just you watch winking smiley Keith doesn't realise he's old, someone forgot to tell him, he's been too old to do this since 2012 seven years ago but it doesn't seem to have stopped him. smoking smiley

Also if he really has stopped drinking heavy, he's going to have a lot more energy to burn, in his last interview he said he drinks because he gets bored, well in that case he will need to do something to survive.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-03-11 10:39 by keithsman.

Date: March 11, 2019 11:36

I hope you did not get me wrong. i would Love a Keef/Winos tour/shows.Even a Ronnies solo tour. Just hope the New Stones album wont take too long...

Maybe even a Stones European tour in 3 years??

jeroen

Date: March 11, 2019 12:00

runrudolph
I hope you did not get me wrong. i would Love a Keef/Winos tour/shows.Even a Ronnies solo tour. Just hope the New Stones album wont take too long...

Maybe even a Stones European tour in 3 years??

jeroen

That's cool Jeroen, i know you to be one of the more enthusiastic posters, i guess we will take anything they have to offer us at this stage, i too welcome solo work from the boys as the Stones as a band is kind of stuck in a loop, they need to offer something different live, like maybe perform Exile as a tour, that would be a gas.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: March 12, 2019 04:22

gotdablouse

During the DIRTY WORK sessions a track called Talk Is Cheap was recorded. That may've been Take It So Hard. I mean, that's all one can speculate.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: March 12, 2019 09:21

Was thinking about that yesterday but thanks to JEMS we've had that track since 2016 (2015?) now and it sounds more like one of Keith's nondescript ramblings from that period (Crushed Pearl style) than the nicely dynamic TISH ;-)

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: March 12, 2019 09:27

GasLightStreet
gotdablouse

During the DIRTY WORK sessions a track called Talk Is Cheap was recorded. That may've been Take It So Hard. I mean, that's all one can speculate.

I think, if memory serves, and from the Bokris book, the title Talk Is Cheap was extrapolated from a Dirty Work outtake / tape box title.

On another matter: I'm a huge fan of a Dylan Bootleg Series album, entitled Another Self Portrait, which redeemed the Self Portrait album, and accompanying sessions. I'm wondering whether the Stones should release a Dirty Work sessions retrospective - it may redeem what is considered their poorest album.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: March 12, 2019 14:54

tomcasagranda
GasLightStreet
gotdablouse

I think, if memory serves, and from the Bokris book, the title Talk Is Cheap was extrapolated from a Dirty Work outtake / tape box title.

On another matter: I'm a huge fan of a Dylan Bootleg Series album, entitled Another Self Portrait, which redeemed the Self Portrait album, and accompanying sessions. I'm wondering whether the Stones should release a Dirty Work sessions retrospective - it may redeem what is considered their poorest album.

a very good idea. at minimum, it would give us endless new threads analyzing the album, and at best, maybe a partial redemption?

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: March 12, 2019 16:37

treaclefingers
tomcasagranda
GasLightStreet
gotdablouse

a very good idea. at minimum, it would give us endless new threads analyzing the album, and at best, maybe a partial redemption?

Agreed: Self Portrait, and the Gospel Period, were both re-evaluated, and given fresh impetus via Dylan's Bootleg Series. I think if Mick and Keith went along, and decided to re-evaluate 1983-1986, then there may be some valid point to Undercover, and Dirty Work.

Date: March 12, 2019 17:11

Yeah well, i must agree. there are some great outtakes from DW and Undercover. Dont think these 2 albums are all that bad. productionwise its @#$%& up, but really like DW.

Jeroen

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: March 13, 2019 01:50

tomcasagranda
treaclefingers
tomcasagranda
GasLightStreet
gotdablouse

Agreed: Self Portrait, and the Gospel Period, were both re-evaluated, and given fresh impetus via Dylan's Bootleg Series. I think if Mick and Keith went along, and decided to re-evaluate 1983-1986, then there may be some valid point to Undercover, and Dirty Work.

Well I really liked Undercover...I felt it was the last time they tried something outside the normal stones dots. Not every track is killer, but there is some killer stuff and Undercover of the Night is absolutely fantastic, still.

Date: March 13, 2019 15:39

GasLightStreet

During the DIRTY WORK sessions a track called Talk Is Cheap was recorded. That may've been Take It So Hard.

TIC (the 1985 outtake) does circulate (as part of the "Foxes In The Boxes" vol.2) and it has zero similarity with the 1988 track. Keef must have liked the name...

There's one known example of a track that bridges to 1985 DW sessions and the 1987 TIC album ones, it's "Breakin'".
Personally I don't get why he didn't to rework "Crushed Pearl". Maybe he found he had a better slow song with "Make No Mistake"...?

Posted by: detroitken ()
Date: March 14, 2019 19:16

I ordered the Red vinyl from amazon yesterday & today it is listed as "shipped" ?? HMMMMM,i'll believe it when I see it..

Posted by: glimmertwin1 ()
Date: March 14, 2019 19:51

I ordered the 2cd-set smiling bouncing smiley

Let's pray for a descend mastering .

Posted by: rara ()
Date: March 22, 2019 18:58

Keith Richards’ limited-edition box set displayed in world’s top Rock ‘n’ Roll hotels

Keith Richards’ debut solo album Talk Is Cheap will be celebrated with the release of a reissue, marking the 30th anniversary of the acclaimed album. The reissue of the album released by BMG on March 29 will be available in various formats, including a very limited Super Deluxe Box set.

Starting on March 22, ‘The Final Five’ will be featured in ‘The Keith Collection’, an exhibition in some of the world’s top Rock ‘n’ Roll hotels including the Karma Sanctum Soho in London, Andaz West Hollywood, 25hours Hotel Bikini Berlin, L’Hotel in Paris and OD Barcelona. ‘The Final Five’ are the last five box sets are produced from this very limited run. Those who are not one of the lucky 1145 people to own a limited-edition box, this will be the only opportunity to see it in all its glory.

The Super Deluxe Box set comes in a real-wood case that was hand-built and aged by Fender, using the same materials as Keith’s iconic vintage telecaster, Micawber. It took two weeks and 37 Fender staff to complete each box, plus an additional 11 different suppliers of parts and services: from corrugated boxes to graphics on the chrome control plate, to the sawmill cutting the ash.

The Final Five’ can be found in the following hotels from March 22 for eight weeks:

#1146 – Karma Sanctum Soho, London

#1147 – 25hours Hotel Bikini Berlin

#1148 – OD Barcelona

#1149 – L’Hotel, Paris

#1150 – Andaz West Hollywood

BMG

Date: March 22, 2019 19:45

rara

#1149 – L’Hotel, Paris

Once upon a time it was a dive where Oscar Wilde spent his last days. He passed in this hotel allegedly quipping "alas, I am dying beyond my means."

How times change... And am I the only one who finds this exhibition problematic? I mean rock'n roll hotels (ahem) at 300$ a night? Is that a joke?

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: March 22, 2019 19:55

When we do no get new Stones music, it is good we get previously unpublished KR music. smileys with beer

Posted by: rara ()
Date: March 22, 2019 23:36

Keith Richards says his '88 solo album 'Talk Is Cheap' made him appreciate Mick more

Keith Richards says his '88 solo album 'Talk Is Cheap' made him appreciate Mick more

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: March 23, 2019 03:45

tomcasagranda
treaclefingers
tomcasagranda
GasLightStreet
gotdablouse

It's 2019, we're waiting on a new album, and y'all are talking about super shining a turd.

The only way DIRTY WORK could be redeemed is if it was deleted from the discography and turned into a HARLEM SHUFFLE EP with Had It With You, Too Rude and Sleep Tonight as the other tracks.

Date: March 23, 2019 04:00

GasLightStreet
tomcasagranda
treaclefingers
tomcasagranda
GasLightStreet
gotdablouse

It's 2019, we're waiting on a new album, and y'all are talking about super shining a turd.

The only way DIRTY WORK could be redeemed is if it was deleted from the discography and turned into a HARLEM SHUFFLE EP with Had It With You, Too Rude and Sleep Tonight as the other tracks.

can't forget one hit to the body

Posted by: MelBelli ()
Date: March 23, 2019 20:47

Wall Street Journal piece on TIC reissue:

[www.wsj.com]

Also, Keith will talk with Steve on Tuesday night on SiriusXM Volume channel.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: March 23, 2019 21:17

"Me being interviewed by Steve Jordan for his show on Sirius Radio Volume (106) . What a great time. Will air on Tuesday, March 26th at 8:00pm! Thank you all"

[twitter.com]

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: March 23, 2019 21:55

I'm feeling my Keef fandom!!!

Date: March 23, 2019 23:54

"There was no agenda going in," Richards said. "We just thought, 'Let's see what comes of this.… Playing with a bunch of guys I'd known for ages and always wanted to play together, more than just on odd sessions here and there, it all fell together so naturally, it was really quite a joy.'"

Translation :
by 1987 the Stones were kaput. Mick had scored a point with his solo career so I needed to catch up. So I did TIC. I lost quite a lot of dough with the tour and I realized my fame was not that big after all. So when Mick offered a truce in 1989 I said "yes". grinning smiley

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...4567891011121314...LastNext
Current Page: 9 of 22

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1502
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home