Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...23456789101112...LastNext
Current Page: 7 of 22
Re: Keith Richards - Talk Is Cheap 30th Anniversary Edition
Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: January 19, 2019 19:06

Kos Angeles, Bard.

Date: January 19, 2019 19:08

KOL! grinning smiley

Date: January 19, 2019 19:24

GasLightStreet
Did anyone pass out in 1988?

I believe Ivan did once or twice. Just not during a gig.

Re: Keith Richards - Talk Is Cheap
Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: January 19, 2019 19:36

Deltics
Keith interviewed on the Shaun Keaveny show on BBC Radio 6 music.
Skip to approx 1hr. 42m.

[www.bbc.co.uk]

Thank you, Deltics! smileys with beer

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: January 21, 2019 07:57

[vimeo.com]
What a great band!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-01-21 08:02 by KRiffhard.

Date: January 21, 2019 17:27

Agreed. Nice to see that one again.

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: January 21, 2019 18:12

Groove City.....

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: January 21, 2019 19:46

KRiffhard
[vimeo.com]
What a great band!

Nice anecdote about SNL 88:
[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: January 21, 2019 20:07

KRiffhard
[vimeo.com]
What a great band!

So nice had to watch it twice - some serious groove and chemistry with that band. thumbs up

I recall watching it live back in the day - it was much better than the Stones '78 appearance which I also watched live.
The latter I watched with a bunch of friends (not all who were Stones fans), and I cringed as some of them laughed.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: January 22, 2019 10:26

Ordered the standard vinyl remaster . I'll likely pick up the CD for the bonus stuff.

Fingers crossed that the remaster has something interesting to offer in it's sound .

The original, for me, is a superb sounding album that didn't need anything changing...so we'll see grinning smiley.

Posted by: filstan ()
Date: January 22, 2019 17:55

I see no reason to buy the deluxe set being offered given the high end fidelity of the original LP and CD. The record in particular sounds fantastic. I just upgraded my turntable last week in a big way and Talk Is Cheap just pops out of the speakers. Sure the bonus stuff would be nice, but...

Now if they would just redo the Palladium concert video as a DVD in 5.1, I am all in!

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: January 22, 2019 17:58

i reconsidered and ordered the box from jpc.de for E 130,00. want to have the book.
jeroen

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: January 25, 2019 21:00

Received another email regarding this release, and don't know if it's the same as the previous announcement, but here it is:

"In 1988, on a break from the Rolling Stones, KEITH RICHARDS released his first-ever solo album, TALK IS CHEAP. This universally respected debut is an eleven track masterclass in everything that’s good about rock ‘n roll and features guest appearances from an all-star cast including Sarah Dash, Bootsy Collins, Maceo Parker, the Memphis Horns, Patti Sciafia and Mick Taylor.

Remastered from the original tapes by Richards’ collaborator, Steve Jordan, the album’s joyous swagger is re-energised and permeates through each and every song.

TALK IS CHEAP sounds as good today as it did thirty years ago; in Keith’s words: “As fresh as the day it was made.”'

Looking at the official Keith store, seems there's still some signed Super Deluxe at $749 (thanks, but no thanks), and while the red vinyl standard album says "out of stock", it's still available for preorder on Amazon US.

Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: January 25, 2019 21:25

Talk Is Cheap Box Set Unboxing

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: spunky ()
Date: January 25, 2019 21:28

How many are there on Red Vinyl Limeted Edition?

Posted by: Jfk19562003 ()
Date: January 25, 2019 21:42

Amazon USA just lowered to $157
I’m sticking with Amazon.de. Still $133 shipped to USA

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: January 26, 2019 03:31

Remastered or not, TALK IS CHEAP sounds fresh to me... as does BLACK AND BLUE and EMOTIONAL RESCUE and UNDERCOVER and on and on and on.

DIRTY WORK is the sound of a band dying.

Date: January 26, 2019 04:43

One day, you'll realize "Harlem Shuffle" backed with "Had It With You" was a terrific single. "Too Rude" was their finest stab at reggae. "Sleep Tonight" would have fit in nicely on EMPIRE BURLESQUE. The instrumental break at the end of "Hold Back" is terrific if you can skip everything before it. "Back to Zero" really swings and is terribly underrated musically. If you dare to listen to the 12" single of "Winning Ugly" or the studio outtake, you'll realize that it might have worked. Finally, there's nothing to apologize for in regards to the title track, it's just the abject stupidity of the lyrics to "Fight" with its borrowed guitar break from "Too Tough," dreadful vocals, and even worse drum sound coming after "One Hit" and its similar sonic assault that should have been amazing, but only the guitarists knew what to do on the track. It's a failure, but a fascinating one. Interestingly, brickwalling it did nothing to help or hinder it in anyway. The damn thing is titanium.

Posted by: JJHMick ()
Date: January 26, 2019 22:56

Rocky Dijon
One day, you'll realize "Harlem Shuffle" backed with "Had It With You" was a terrific single. "Too Rude" was their finest stab at reggae. "Sleep Tonight" would have fit in nicely on EMPIRE BURLESQUE. The instrumental break at the end of "Hold Back" is terrific if you can skip everything before it. "Back to Zero" really swings and is terribly underrated musically. If you dare to listen to the 12" single of "Winning Ugly" or the studio outtake, you'll realize that it might have worked. Finally, there's nothing to apologize for in regards to the title track, it's just the abject stupidity of the lyrics to "Fight" with its borrowed guitar break from "Too Tough," dreadful vocals, and even worse drum sound coming after "One Hit" and its similar sonic assault that should have been amazing, but only the guitarists knew what to do on the track. It's a failure, but a fascinating one. Interestingly, brickwalling it did nothing to help or hinder it in anyway. The damn thing is titanium.

If you consider Dirty Work as Keith's contributions and add Micks favourites at the time and you'll get another "best Stones Long Player since Exile or Some Girls"

1 One Hit (To The Body)
2 Fight
3 Harlem Shuffle
4 Hard Woman
5 Too Rude

6 Lonely At The Top
7 Just Another Night
8 Lucky In Love
9 Had It With You
10 Sleep Tonight / 11 Key To The Highway

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-01-27 12:37 by JJHMick.

Date: January 26, 2019 23:43

Not for me. I'd just have a Yetnikoff-era compilation CD that wouldn't interest me.

However, I do still love TALK IS CHEAP and am looking forward to its expanded reissue and hopefully critical re-assessment.

Date: January 29, 2019 07:45

Bonus songs timings are in:

Blues Jam: 4:38
My Babe: 3:12
Slim: 10:17
Big Town Playboy: 4:20
Mark on Me: 5:51
Brute Force: 4:00

Posted by: powerage78 ()
Date: January 29, 2019 18:06

No guitar on My Babe

I'm just a Bad Boy Boogie

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: January 29, 2019 18:23

Rocky Dijon
Not for me. I'd just have a Yetnikoff-era compilation CD that wouldn't interest me.

However, I do still love TALK IS CHEAP and am looking forward to its expanded reissue and hopefully critical re-assessment.

Me too . I'm looking forward to the reaction and a bit of perspective from folks who maybe haven't heard it for a few years... or perhaps even not at all.

I can't really judge how its stood the test of time because it's an album that's hardly been off my turntable since the day it was released.

In our house it's kind of been part of the sonic décor.

Posted by: rogerriffin ()
Date: January 29, 2019 18:40

Maindefender

better 31 minutes than nothing... (as abkco releases)

Date: January 29, 2019 19:48

powerage78
No guitar on My Babe

Yes, there is.

Date: January 29, 2019 21:48

rogerriffin
Maindefender

better 31 minutes than nothing... (as abkco releases)

thumbs up

Posted by: damnation ()
Date: February 2, 2019 14:01

I asked them if the limited editions were signed by Keith or autopen.

I guess I got my answer. NOW THATS COOL ! Thanks Keith!thumbs uphot smiley I'm sure it's going to be a nice looking reissue with a great read!

https://twitter.com/i/status/1091457544227356673

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: February 2, 2019 16:47

Great, I was wondering if there would be an answer for the cynics, me being one of them. With this worry out of the way I'm sure to go crazy for the box. I'm knocked out by the Fender wood exterior. Suppose I should mention the great music included too! Next to Brussels this will be a fight for the favorite. The happy kind of conflict.

Posted by: TeddyB1018 ()
Date: February 3, 2019 00:43

Rocky Dijon

Rocky, sometimes it’s like you pull your writing straight from my own thoughts. Just as you describe, Dirty Work could have been a very good album.

Posted by: mariano ()
Date: February 3, 2019 03:00

maybe the best outtakes .... Too!!!

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...23456789101112...LastNext
Current Page: 7 of 22

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1949
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home