Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 3 of 7
Re: Stones at Super Bowl 53?
Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: January 10, 2019 13:57

I remember an interview where the rolling stones spoke about the experience of playing at the superbowl. They said it was a lot of work/stress for just a few minutes of playing. But they understood the gain of the exposure in relation to the cost of a minute commercial and Keith called their live appearance on the American TV most watched sport event a "coup".

Rockandroll,
Mops

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: January 10, 2019 14:44

I really hope there is no Stones association with Maroon 5. They don't need the exposure. Like, I would really hate to see Maroon 5 show up as an opening act on the tour. As for the Super Bowl, the half time show has become something of a farce. The last several years haven't been for the hard core NFL fans but rather the casual "event" fans. You go to games & all you hear is rock basically with a little hip hop thrown in. I was shocked & pleased to hear the Stooges doing "Now I Wanna Be Your Dog" playing in the Baltimore stadium last weekend. Here in Seattle, we get a lot of the local heroes like Pearl Jam & Nirvana along with some stalwarts like Metallica & G n R.

Date: January 10, 2019 15:04

GasLightStreet
MisterDDDD
GasLightStreet
MisterDDDD
Definitely going to have me watching the half time show, even though the chance may be remote. I could see Mick joining in if not the whole band.

Would be a kick.. also Justin Timberlake has appeared three times dispelling the notion that because it's been done, it can't be done again.

It's a huge stage.. over 111.3 million people watched in 2017.
That's a lot of great, free, promotion for an upcoming tour (or album) cool smiley

A BIGGER BANG (and probably the tour) got zero help from the Stones' SB appearance.
Not saying your wrong, but.. Source??

Oh, it's around here somewhere, it pops up in various threads. Kowalski talked about how ABB sales were flat after SB40 and, well, all you have to do is look up the attendance of a number of US shows in 2007 to see how the tour turned out - as I recall, quite a few shows with a good number of seats remaining unsold.

The Stones didn't perform any shows in the U.S. during 2007. They toured Europe that year.

The 2006 U.S. Tour was basically over by the time of the SuperBowl. Only the Atlanta Philips Arena,the L.A. Forum, North Little Rock (Arkansas), Las Vegas MGM, and Fort Lauderdale left for the U.S. after the Super Bowl.

Then,there was the Fall 2006 Tour after returning from Europe but,by that time,7 or 8 months plus had passed since the Super Bowl performance and it was their 3rd trip (in a 15 month span) through some areas of the country.

Posted by: Rik ()
Date: January 10, 2019 15:26

"The 2006 U.S. Tour was basically over by the time of the SuperBowl. Only the Atlanta Philips Arena,the L.A. Forum, North Little Rock (Arkansas), Las Vegas MGM, and Fort Lauderdale left for the U.S. after the Super Bowl."

uhh, how about the fall tour in the US?

Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: January 10, 2019 15:39

Whether you personally agree or not, Maroon 5 are insanely popular.

From Spotify's List of Top 5 Streamed Groups:

Imagine Dragons is Spotify’s most-streamed group for 2018, but K-pop sensation BTS also enjoyed plenty of global listening.
Maroon 5 and Migos come in third and fourth, and Coldplay took fifth.

1. Imagine Dragons
2. BTS
3. Maroon 5
4. Migos
5. Coldplay

And Maroon 5 has already opened for the Rolling Stones on the Bigger Bang tour in 2005 for a few dates including Detroit...
The wifey was pleased.

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: January 10, 2019 16:39

“And Maroon 5 has already opened for the Rolling Stones on the Bigger Bang tour in 2005 for a few dates including Detroit...
The wifey was pleased.[/quote]”

I might’ve been pleased with it back in 2005, too drinking smiley
I say Adam L works in the gym everyday next few weeks, come out looking his best, and gets the song on w/ a hot female who can sing/ roll it with him.
All the males watching will want to see that more, IMO.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: January 10, 2019 16:49

"Moves Like Jagger" is the hit Jagger always wanted to have on his solo albums but never had. I think he always looked for a dance floor hit. Like they had with "Miss You".

Date: January 10, 2019 19:46

The last time they played the Super Bowl I thought it was terrible.

And so did everyone around me.

The only thing good about it was the stage.

Ok blast me if you want.

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: January 10, 2019 21:08

Hairball
GasLightStreet
MisterDDDD
GasLightStreet
MisterDDDD
Definitely going to have me watching the half time show, even though the chance may be remote. I could see Mick joining in if not the whole band.

Would be a kick.. also Justin Timberlake has appeared three times dispelling the notion that because it's been done, it can't be done again.

It's a huge stage.. over 111.3 million people watched in 2017.
That's a lot of great, free, promotion for an upcoming tour (or album) cool smiley

A BIGGER BANG (and probably the tour) got zero help from the Stones' SB appearance.
Not saying your wrong, but.. Source??

Oh, it's around here somewhere, it pops up in various threads. Kowalski talked about how ABB sales were flat after SB40 and, well, all you have to do is look up the attendance of a number of US shows in 2007 to see how the tour turned out - as I recall, quite a few shows with a good number of seats remaining unsold.

If anything, the all around lackluster spectacle of the Stones might have actually hurt sales for both the album and tour.
The curiosity of seeing the Stones live for those who haven't was no mystery anymore, and the new tune they played paled in comparison to their classics.
In a sense, their appearance sort of backfired.

MKjan
I hope the Stones (or Mick solo) do not go anywhere near the Super Bowl. I wish
they never did it in '06.

Yes, it wasn't amongst their finest moments.

I didn't think the sound was good, and it all so seemed so contrived. Besides, I can't stand that sport. grinning smiley

Date: January 10, 2019 21:49

Watch Video (HD) [youtu.be]

Posted by: glmmr_twn ()
Date: January 10, 2019 22:15

The thought of the Stones playing second fiddle to Maroon 5 is sickening.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: January 10, 2019 22:55

glmmr_twn

Sure.
If you look at guest spots as second fiddle. I don't.
Similar as when Aerosmith joined Run DMC onstage at an awards show for their cover. Not about second fiddle in those situations imo. More of an honoring.

Posted by: swimtothemoon ()
Date: January 10, 2019 23:31

MisterDDDD
glmmr_twn

Sure.
If you look at guest spots as second fiddle. I don't.
Similar as when Aerosmith joined Run DMC onstage at an awards show for their cover. Not about second fiddle in those situations imo. More of an honoring.

Yes I agree with MisterDDD and think it would be a cool surprise - especially if it remains a surprise. With the stones playing many NFL stadiums latter this year
and the tongue placements teasing the tour prior to the tour announcement - a surprise visit to super bowl halftime fits in well.

Posted by: glmmr_twn ()
Date: January 11, 2019 20:21

MisterDDDD
glmmr_twn

And Aerosmith and Run DMC had a collaborated on a song together, didn't they.

The only thing remotely close is Maroon 5 has 'Moves Like Jagger'.

Posted by: Rokyfan ()
Date: January 11, 2019 21:23

glmmr_twn
MisterDDDD
glmmr_twn

Of course, there is no comparison. Jagger did not sing on Moves like Jagger.

And there is no way they are even thinking of doing this for a second, regardless of all the other reasons not to do it (you are 100% correct on the second fiddle thing), because of the political aspect, calls for boycott, etc. No way.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: January 11, 2019 23:07

Rokyfan
glmmr_twn
MisterDDDD
glmmr_twn

And there is no way they are even thinking of doing this for a second, regardless of all the other reasons not to do it (you are 100% correct on the second fiddle thing), because of the political aspect, calls for boycott, etc. No way.

Of course there are comparisons- surprise appearance by a rock group joining another band at an event for starters cool smiley
Similar to Sting appearing with P Diddy, or any number of surprise guest appearances at events over the years... This would be that.
Not "second fiddle" by any definition, which was the point of the comparison.

If the Stones needed the publicity, it would be a good move (like jagger) cool smiley
They appear to not need it though, as there is no new album to sell and the tour looks like it's selling well. That said, the political environment doesn't impact them, no ones really complaining much about Maroon 5 either. It's primarily black artists boycotting..(which I support) and being non-citizens, it's a non-issue.

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: January 12, 2019 01:14

only if they do Rough Justice

Date: January 12, 2019 04:06

hopkins
only if they do Rough Justice
Yeah and Brown Sugar/Satisfaction!! Oh Yeah ;-)

Date: January 12, 2019 04:42

MisterDDDD
Rokyfan
glmmr_twn
MisterDDDD
glmmr_twn

Of course there are comparisons- surprise appearance by a rock group joining another band at an event for starters cool smiley
Similar to Sting appearing with P Diddy, or any number of surprise guest appearances at events over the years... This would be that.
Not "second fiddle" by any definition, which was the point of the comparison.

If the Stones needed the publicity, it would be a good move (like jagger) cool smiley
They appear to not need it though, as there is no new album to sell and the tour looks like it's selling well. That said, the political environment doesn't impact them, no ones really complaining much about Maroon 5 either. It's primarily black artists boycotting..(which I support) and being non-citizens, it's a non-issue.

OK, one more time.

The point was not that guest appearances, in general, are demeaning. Sting and Diddy have nothing to do with anything. The point is that Maroon 5 are not a pimple on the Rolling Stones' collective asses, despite their stupid song. The Rolling Stones are not a special guest of maroon 5.

And I know you cannot mean what you seemed to say -- that you support black artists boycotting but not the Stones??? And what country they are citizens of has to do with what?? Maybe Mick say the story and laughed. "What can we do to alienate shitloads of people?" This was over before the thread even started. Three pages on this topic is sillier that 200 whatever on the non new album.

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: January 12, 2019 04:54

After the 2006 Super Bowl performance, the effect on sales were almost zero, 2 albums re-entered the lower part of Billboard 200 for the week ending February 12, 2006:

193 ROLLING STONES BEST OF... JUMP BACK 6,284 +24% 5,084 707,887

198 ROLLING STONES BIGGER BANG 6,118 +35% 4,555 489,547

The audience of the Super Bowl was over 90 milliom at the time and only 6k were interested on their new album or the hit compilation with the songs performed at the show.

Yet, the market is very different right now with streaming, after such exposure their catalog would explode, this week Hot Rocks ranks at #167 on the latest Billboard 200 with 5k sales/streaming points, so with a performance for over 90m on TV, Hot Rocks could jump right into the Top 10/20 and Jump Back into the Top 40/50 without effort, we can even expect a big jump for Hot Rocks next week thanks to Susan Boyle's performance of Wild Horses, the Stones' version had almost 200k streams on Spotify in the US last Tuesday and 140k on Wednesday, the audience of the TV show was less than 10 million so the impact is way much bigger now than on 2006.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: January 12, 2019 05:01

From the New Yorker:

Earlier this fall, a thirty-three-year-old North Carolinian named Vic Oyedeji started an online petition demanding that the band (Maroon 5) decline the N.F.L.’s offer.
It has since received more than seventy-five thousand signatures.

If you don’t support how the N.F.L. treated Colin Kaepernick, don’t support the money-making festivities the N.F.L. has to offer.” - Oyedeji

Maroon

Evidently Pink also turned down the opportunity to perform before Maroon 5 was approached.
Something tells me Mick would want absolutely nothing to do with this controversy - bad vibes all around.
And there's still the possibility even the unconfirmed Maroon 5 will boycott.

Date: January 12, 2019 19:41

Unless the Patriots get the Super Bowl. We know what excellent taste they have in music grinning smiley

And I still refuse to get involved in the controversy (Prince RIP ‘Controversy’)

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: January 13, 2019 01:58

georgelicks
After the 2006 Super Bowl performance, the effect on sales were almost zero, 2 albums re-entered the lower part of Billboard 200 for the week ending February 12, 2006:

The audience of the Super Bowl was over 90 milliom at the time and only 6k were interested on their new album or the hit compilation with the songs performed at the show.

Yet, the market is very different right now with streaming, after such exposure their catalog would explode, this week Hot Rocks ranks at #167 on the latest Billboard 200 with 5k sales/streaming points, so with a performance for over 90m on TV, Hot Rocks could jump right into the Top 10/20 and Jump Back into the Top 40/50 without effort, we can even expect a big jump for Hot Rocks next week thanks to Susan Boyle's performance of Wild Horses, the Stones' version had almost 200k streams on Spotify in the US last Tuesday and 140k on Wednesday, the audience of the TV show was less than 10 million so the impact is way much bigger now than on 2006.

AHH! Not Kowalski! Hard to keep track sometimes about who knows what!

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: January 13, 2019 02:18

If Mick is part of the half-time entertainment, the tour should also be mentioned in one form or another; I mean why should he bother showing up ortherwise.
Rockandroll,
Mops

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: January 13, 2019 02:27

Why this is even a thread is a mystery. Might as well start threads asking if they're going to play at every festival in the world this year, too, even though we know they're only playing one, so far.

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: January 13, 2019 04:26

georgelicks

wow!!
you are on the JOB, man.
Excellent and very interesting info and perspective, ty.

---

they haven't even started rehearsing;
they might tweak stage designs etc...
superbowl is in a month. i mean, it's way more than highly unlikely,
as has been noted.

maybe mick can sit in the stands with some of his 238 children,
at least the one's he'l admit to, but he is Very diplomatic gent after all.
he can wear those purple iridescent sneakers that he killed the tree with.
i mean, we have to take what we can get.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-01-13 04:31 by hopkins.

Date: January 13, 2019 06:37

GasLightStreet
Why this is even a thread is a mystery. Might as well start threads asking if they're going to play at every festival in the world this year, too, even though we know they're only playing one, so far.

It is in the papers/oops computers my friend that blah blah blah
It was said an offer was made.
With a check attached, no, and there has been no reply.
grinning smiley

Date: January 13, 2019 06:37

And the Super Bowl is in 2 weeks.
Go Patriots.

Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: January 13, 2019 22:05

NFL made the official announcement today:

[twitter.com]

Date: January 13, 2019 22:17

Picture the rolling stones next to big boi. I mean why would anyone have a problem with that?

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 3 of 7

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1957
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home