Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
IORR posting policy comments
Posted by: bv ()
Date: January 3, 2019 18:53

Happy new year!!!!

I do post some info about the IORR posting policy, from time to time, so that everyone may understand why a thread is closed, merged or deleted. This is such a post...

ON TOPIC:
IORR is about The Rolling Stones. If you post about the Rolling Stones, your post and/or thread will be fine, as long as you do not offend. No racist posting, no hate, basic rules like at home, you know, respect.

OFF TOPIC:
Anything NOT related to The Rolling Stones is really off topic on IORR. When both Mick, Keith, Charlie and Ronnie has been off the news and off tours for weeks and weeks, life is boring, so posting off topic on IORR is may be better than watching a rerun of your favorite sports team game, or some old rerun CSI series. Before you post off topic, take a look at the first page of the IORR forum. Of there are no OT, then feel free to post, if there are lots of subjects with "OT: xxx xxx" then it must be quite interesting, like music or world champion or may be you found the meaning of life, or simply you have something great to say, then you are fine. Just make sure you prepend "OT: " to your subject line, so that it looks like (example): "OT: The meaning of life as a Stones fan"... If the first page of IORR is just flooded with too many OT posts, then some of these will be deleted, simple as that, to keep the forum relevant and Stones related. Nothing personal, any OT post may go, but music related is more on topic than just not related to anything. Like if you post about Port Vale Football Clum, may be I delete it, but if you post about Man U, may be it will stay, life is unfair, I know it. PS. I used to be a biog fan of Stoke City, and Gordon Banks, and Dennis Ritchie, and Crouch of course, and now of course 2OLEgend, but that is a different story.

CLICK BAIT:
Don't be smart. I am smarter... If you make a subject like "Guess what..." or "Best city..." or "What would Keith do...", and then the real subject is hidden down in the body part of your thread, then you are making click bait, which is the same as standing in the street, looking up into the sky, and pretending there is something to look at up there, while threre is nothing, except for blue sky. Or to pretend you are so keen to get a date, dress down, get naked, scream and shout I am ready I am so ready and so on, but then in the moment of time when your partner is ready, you say it is just a joke. Click bate is poison on Internet. Please don't try it on IORR. If I (the IORR editor & moderator) am in a bad mode then I will delete it. If I am in a good mood I will close or merge it. Please do respect the IORR visitors and readers as the intelligent individuals they are, by making a subject line which is a REAL HEADLINE, not a click teaser with just limited info. This is just common sense, it is not rocket science.

NO HARM:
Do you need to worry about these rules? Not really. Worst case, what you posted may be gone. Best case, and in most cases, what you post will stay there no worries. I don't spend much time on moderating IORR. Thanks to everyone who makes life easy moderating IORR - you are the best!

Bjornulf a.k.a. bv - IORR Editor & Moderator

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2019-01-09 09:23 by bv.

Re: IORR posting policy - Off topic and click bate subjects
Posted by: Boognish ()
Date: January 3, 2019 19:08

How is this clickbait?

"Fly on the wall
I was thinking whilst watching a stones concert via youtube what would it have been like to see/hear mick and keith creating their songs .
Let me clarify,,, not so much the musical sense but the words to the song. as in some of their classics which some of ya may call war horses .
an example is sympathy for the devil, which to my mind the words resinate to this day if not more so now. how do young dudes of the day come up with such poignant words. ?? so maybe some of ya have another song or two in mind or not spinning smiley sticking its tongue out oh yer, happy heavy rockin new year..."

Date: January 3, 2019 19:12

Anoter example of clickbate:

Free backstage passes with Stones meet & greet ...
... is not something I do have, but I wish I could supply it for everyone here...

Bjornulf

Posted by: DaveG ()
Date: January 3, 2019 21:14

There have lately been a number of "R.I.P." postings. Most of them had nothing to do with the Stones, but are not preceded by O.T.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: January 3, 2019 22:05

DaveG
There have lately been a number of "R.I.P." postings. Most of them had nothing to do with the Stones, but are not preceded by O.T.

Meh.
RIP followed directly by the name of a celebrity is self explanatory and quicker to discern.

Posted by: Cooltoplady ()
Date: January 4, 2019 06:07

DaveG

Are you kidding me?

Date: January 4, 2019 12:26

bv
Happy new year!!!!

I do post some info about the IORR posting policy, from time to time, so that everyone may understand why a thread is closed, merged or deleted. This is such a post...

ON TOPIC:
IORR is about The Rolling Stones. If you post about the Rolling Stones, your post and/or thread will be fine, as long as you do not offend. No racist posting, no hate, basic rules like at home, you know, respect.

OFF TOPIC:
Anything NOT related to The Rolling Stones is really off topic on IORR. When both Mick, Keith, Charlie and Ronnie has been off the news and off tours for weeks and weeks, life is boring, so posting off topic on IORR is may be better than watching a rerun of your favorite sports team game, or some old rerun CSI series. Before you post off topic, take a look at the first page of the IORR forum. Of there are no OT, then feel free to post, if there are lots of subjects with "OT: xxx xxx" then it must be quite interesting, like music or world champion or may be you found the meaning of life, or simply you have something great to say, then you are fine. Just make sure you prepend "OT: " to your subject line, so that it looks like (example): "OT: The meaning of life as a Stones fan"... If the first page of IORR is just flooded with too many OT posts, then some of these will be deleted, simple as that, to keep the forum relevant and Stones related. Nothing personal, any OT post may go, but music related is more on topic than just not related to anything. Like if you post about Port Vale Football Clum, may be I delete it, but if you post about Man U, may be it will stay, life is unfair, I know it. PS. I used to be a biog fan of Stoke City, and Gordon Banks, and Dennis Ritchie, and Crouch of course, and now of course 2OLEgend, but that is a different story.

CLICK BAIT:
Don't be smart. I am smarter... If you make a subject like "Guess what..." or "Best city..." or "What would Keith do...", and then the real subject is hidden down in the body part of your thread, then you are making click bait, which is the same as standing in the street, looking up into the sky, and pretending there is something to look at up there, while threre is nothing, except for blue sky. Or to pretend you are so keen to get a date, dress down, get naked, scream and shout I am ready I am so ready and so on, but then in the moment of time when your partner is ready, you say it is just a joke. Click bate is poison on Internet. Please don't try it on IORR. If I (the IORR editor & moderator) am in a bad mode then I will delete it. If I am in a good mood I will close or merge it. Please do respect the IORR visitors and readers as the intelligent individuals they are, by making a subject line which is a REAL HEADLINE, not a click teaser with just limited info. This is just common sense, it is not rocket science.

NO HARM:
Do you need to worry about these rules? Not really. Worst case, what you posted may be gone. Best case, and in most cases, what you post will stay there no worries. I don't spend much time on moderating IORR. Thanks to everyone who makes life easy moderating IORR - you are the best!

I understand what you're saying Bjornulf re. clickbait. I just don't quite see it in that post. The OP has been with us for 8 years, and not a major poster. But I myself could see myself one day just decide to wonder aloud "what if..."
Maybe you know something, I don't.

Posted by: Father Ted ()
Date: January 4, 2019 12:42

Clickbait is just attention-seeking clutter. People who post it know what they're doing. The less of it, the better thumbs up

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: January 4, 2019 13:24

BV, You are very fair and the rules are very simple and easy to understand . Great Job !

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: January 4, 2019 14:23

I hope that "New Stones album for 2019? " doesn't turn out to be Clickbate grinning smiley

Date: January 4, 2019 16:00

Think of the IORR Tell forum subject like something they would print as a headline in a printed newspaper, a serious one, not a tabloid printing nude girls on the front page. Would you see a headline like:

Guess what?

I don't think so. Or may be a headlike like this:

This morning

And then in the text below that may be you write "... I thought about the last show in Webbley Stadium of the 1990 tour"...

In the last case a naturalk headline would be:

Wembley last show 1990

Or something similar...

There are several reasons for having a great headline.

1. Easy to read, easy to search for

2. Search on Internet works perfect

Search engines like Google look for contents and headlines. If the headline is "spot on" then the search will find the article easier.

Bjornulf

Posted by: RobberBride ()
Date: January 4, 2019 16:30

bv
Thanks to everyone who makes life easy moderating IORR - you are the best!

No, you are the best!
Happy New Year to you too (and all my friends here) -

RB

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: January 4, 2019 22:26

Well done BV!
Regular updates and checks are an essential part of quality control (of anything). It helps with producing quality material and so also with keeping up the level of IORR.
There is another busy year ahead for you, so let's all help!
Happy New Year!
smileys with beer

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: January 5, 2019 14:35

Once I thought the strength with IORR was the variety of subjects. To be able to chat with fans all over the world about almost everything. To boost my poor school English.
Now, I sometimes get the feeling that the only allowed themes are to discuss where to buy tickets and book hotels. Just an observation. But I guess I'm the only one who has noticed that...

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: January 5, 2019 21:55

Hey BV, when do we get the annual winter pictures of your home in Norway with five feet of snow?

Are you going to watch the World Juniors Hockey with USA vs. Finland? Did you see the Russian crybaby throwing his helmet and pouting after the loss to the Americans?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-01-05 21:58 by The Sicilian.

Date: January 6, 2019 22:34

Stoneage
Once I thought the strength with IORR was the variety of subjects. To be able to chat with fans all over the world about almost everything. To boost my poor school English.
Now, I sometimes get the feeling that the only allowed themes are to discuss where to buy tickets and book hotels. Just an observation. But I guess I'm the only one who has noticed that...

IORR is basically about the Stone, but if you watch the off topis here, you will see that there are lots othewr subjets allowed as well. May be 50% of the IORR forum is off topic talks, which is fine with me.

Running an internet forum with two million visitors per year, and tens of thousands on the forum, is actually a full time job. I don' have that time. So it is either keeping IORR at at least 50% on topic, closing it down, or having a paid for i.e. subsciption version, or tons of ads for ticket brokers and equal advertising services.

Any open forum these days will have tons of comments which need to get moderated. These days there is so much hate around. Professional sites close down comments areas, because of hate posting. I work hard every day to keep IORR at a certain level. There is not room for more OT really. Sorry.

Bjornulf

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: January 6, 2019 23:08

I remember one time Nikibong wanted ticket information or something for a show that was coming up so he started a thread about it. No one was responding so he changed the name of the thread to "Full Frontal Nudity". I thought that was pretty clever.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-01-06 23:36 by ryanpow.

Posted by: rara ()
Date: January 7, 2019 01:13

bv

Running an internet forum with two million visitors per year, and tens of thousands on the forum, is actually a full time job. I don' have that time. So it is either keeping IORR at at least 50% on topic, closing it down, or having a paid for i.e. subsciption version, or tons of ads for ticket brokers and equal advertising services.

Any open forum these days will have tons of comments which need to get moderated. These days there is so much hate around. Professional sites close down comments areas, because of hate posting. I work hard every day to keep IORR at a certain level. There is not room for more OT really. Sorry.

I fully understand your point. Have you considered getting help from one or two trusted members to moderate the forum? You could just assign them a moderator role which allows them to edit, delete, or merge posts while you keep control over the site.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: January 7, 2019 01:37

rara
bv

I fully understand your point. Have you considered getting help from one or two trusted members to moderate the forum? You could just assign them a moderator role which allows them to edit, delete, or merge posts while you keep control over the site.

We all are moderators...you can send your complains about post or topics to BV I did it ones many years back

Posted by: sjs12 ()
Date: January 7, 2019 11:49

bv
Stoneage

IORR is basically about the Stone, but if you watch the off topis here, you will see that there are lots othewr subjets allowed as well. May be 50% of the IORR forum is off topic talks, which is fine with me.

Maybe it is down to the moderation, but I seldom see any hate posts on this site. Other sites are awash with Brexit, Immigration, Trump etc. so it's nice to have a site where we can come and discuss something we all enjoy - even if there are some disagreements about Wood vs Taylor and rants about ticket prices! By and large, I think Stones fans are a great community where everyone is welcomed.

Keep up the good work.

Posted by: 06230 ()
Date: January 7, 2019 17:57

Palace Revolution 2000
bv
Happy new year!!!!

ON TOPIC:

OFF TOPIC:

CLICK BAIT:

NO HARM:

I understand what you're saying Bjornulf re. clickbait. I just don't quite see it in that post. The OP has been with us for 8 years, and not a major poster. But I myself could see myself one day just decide to wonder aloud "what if..."
Maybe you know something, I don't.

wow, first off I had to lookup the term click bait. Really.... from what I can understand it means the post I made which I have been accused of consists of attention grabbing headlines
used to lure readers into clicking on normally uninteresting content. again wow. never knew I was that teck savy. let me clarify something here. I'm over sixty years of age I have lived and worked on three continents (and I don't mean on vacation ) so I have never had the need to lure anyone or anything into anything. now maybe i'm a tad naive here but I still have a childlike (for want of a better word ) interest how certain things work or happen. I have no knowledge or interest in why certain songs start with a certain key/note. but I appreciate the end product. some people on here do. kool for them. just sometimes i'm curious and in ore in a childlike way if ya want as to the inspiration for how that came about. so to call my post an example of click bait I find offensive.

having said that I appreciate this is your site and to be frank iv learnt so many things about this band that I thank you for the time and patience you have put into it these years..

however I really cannot breathe comfortably in an atmosphere where words are mistakenly or not taken out of content to be made into something that is nothing..

so I respectfully request you erase my 06230 profile .

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: January 7, 2019 18:19

wow, first off I had to lookup the term click bait. Really.... from what I can understand it means the post I made which I have been accused of consists of attention grabbing headlines
used to lure readers into clicking on normally uninteresting content. again wow. never knew I was that teck savy. let me clarify something here. I'm over sixty years of age I have lived and worked on three continents (and I don't mean on vacation ) so I have never had the need to lure anyone or anything into anything. now maybe i'm a tad naive here but I still have a childlike (for want of a better word ) interest how certain things work or happen. I have no knowledge or interest in why certain songs start with a certain key/note. but I appreciate the end product. some people on here do. kool for them. just sometimes i'm curious and in ore in a childlike way if ya want as to the inspiration for how that came about. so to call my post an example of click bait I find offensive.

having said that I appreciate this is your site and to be frank iv learnt so many things about this band that I thank you for the time and patience you have put into it these years..

however I really cannot breathe comfortably in an atmosphere where words are mistakenly or not taken out of content to be made into something that is nothing..

so I respectfully request you erase my 06230 profile .

Several definitions of "clickbait" out there and I think you may be taking it too literally and perhaps too personally.
"Fly on the Wall" for example, is considered clickbait per bv's definition, because "the real subject is hidden down in the body part of your thread".

Meaning simply, that others have to click on it to see what it refers to.
A different title that perhaps wouldn't be considered clickbait for the same thread would be "Mick and Keith's creative process" or similar.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: January 7, 2019 18:24

No need for that, 06230. Really. I think you are jumping to conclusions here. Just stay.

Date: January 7, 2019 19:29

I agree with Stoneage - stick around 06230.........

Posted by: timbernardis ()
Date: January 7, 2019 22:57

Manofwealthandtaste

MOWAT - Great to see u posting, havent seen any for months and months. R u coming over to the States for the tour?

plexi

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: January 8, 2019 01:18

timbernardis
Manofwealthandtaste

MOWAT - Great to see u posting, havent seen any for months and months. R u coming over to the States for the tour?

plexi

Where have you been looking, he has been posting every month.

Posted by: spiderman ()
Date: January 8, 2019 04:20

Great job BV - your leadership is probably why I'm here for years.

Posted by: Cooltoplady ()
Date: January 8, 2019 06:28

The Sicilian
timbernardis
Manofwealthandtaste

plexi

Where have you been looking, he has been posting every month.

Oh brother.....

Date: January 9, 2019 09:09

rara

There is a lot of help and advices from IORR members regarding moderation and posts that need to be taken care of.

The IORR Forum is old and not really built for multiple admin levels. It is either full admin or no admin.

I am looking for a new and more modern forum, but so far I haven't seen anything that would work as expected.

Bjornulf

Date: January 9, 2019 09:17

sjs12

Maybe it is down to the moderation, but I seldom see any hate posts on this site. Other sites are awash with Brexit, Immigration, Trump etc. so it's nice to have a site where we can come and discuss something we all enjoy - even if there are some disagreements about Wood vs Taylor and rants about ticket prices! By and large, I think Stones fans are a great community where everyone is welcomed.

Keep up the good work.

The reason why you don't see much hate posts here is because it is moderated, every day. Believe me, this place would be a comlete zoo and a warzone like FB and other places, if I did not monitor. IORR is like an editorial newspaper, where people are allowed to have their "letter to the editor" published most of the time, while sites like FB are abusing trust, privacy, respect between people, and they degenerate human communication.

Anyone who pay attention to what FB have done lately, and what they are allowing, understand what I am saying. It would be easy if everyone was civilized, but that is not the case. We are just like the dogs, we are "trained wolves", with a varying degree of moral and standards. Most of that is gone with anger, alcohol or drugs unfortunately, and the keyboards on the PC or cellphone/mobile are always there.

Bjornulf

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1436
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home