Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4
Re: OT: Great start for Norwegian manager Ole Gunnar Solskjaer of Man. Utd.
Posted by: 35love ()
Date: February 4, 2019 17:00

Go Gunnar
Let’s see him when a ego wealthy player acts out, or the press.
Will he rule w/ an iron fist, like Sir Alex?
Interesting to see, I hope he wildly succeeds.

Posted by: grzegorz67 ()
Date: February 4, 2019 17:06

His Majesty
Football in general is a joke far as competition goes.

Money has killed it and glory hunters have played their part in that.

Some twats will come along soon enough to justifiy their support for teams that really have nothing to do with them.

I have a friend that is crazy about Man City. Born and bred in Aberdeen, but his excuse is he has liked City since he was a child. season ticket holder, spends a fortune flying back and forth. Makes a change from usual glory hunter choices up here, but still, what a @#$%&.

I agree. Money and satellite TV have ruined the sport. Only the bankrolled elite have the slightest chance of winning the big prizes in the game. Gone are the days when clubs like Aberdeen, Nottingham Forest and Aston Villa could win European Competitions. Dundee United, currently not even in the top league in Scotland, reached a UEFA Cup Final, beating Barcelona home and away along the way.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-02-04 17:08 by grzegorz67.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: February 4, 2019 18:37

Dundee Utd getting cheated out of European cup final as well. It's essentially been made impossible for them to even reach those competitions now.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: February 4, 2019 18:46

Yep, everything circles around the big clubs. And their purchased international squads. But there is nothing we can do about it (except refrain from supporting them). It's business. Nothing else.
Forget the days when the players actually originated from the cities (or even countries) and clubs they played with.

Date: February 4, 2019 19:04

Stoneage
Yep, everything circles around the big clubs. And their purchased international squads. But there is nothing we can do about it (except refrain from supporting them). It's business. Nothing else.
Forget the days when the players actually originated from the cities (or even countries) and clubs they played with.

And the fans...

I don't watch any European Competition or BBC Match of the Day. I hardly saw any of the last World Cup yet in 1998 I was actually there (Brazil v Scotland at Stade de France). On the way out of the stadium I saw a poster advertising the forthcoming Stones gig so I got a phone number from the Stadium Staff. I returned 6 weeks later for the Stones gig and strolled onto the pitch unchecked from my crap nosebleed seat. This was the 1st of 19 (and counting) Stones gigs abroad, an expensive hobby, but much more fulfilling than the football winking smiley

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: February 5, 2019 12:25

grzegorz67
His Majesty
Football in general is a joke far as competition goes.

Money has killed it and glory hunters have played their part in that.

Some twats will come along soon enough to justifiy their support for teams that really have nothing to do with them.

I have a friend that is crazy about Man City. Born and bred in Aberdeen, but his excuse is he has liked City since he was a child. season ticket holder, spends a fortune flying back and forth. Makes a change from usual glory hunter choices up here, but still, what a @#$%&.

I agree. Money and satellite TV have ruined the sport. Only the bankrolled elite have the slightest chance of winning the big prizes in the game. Gone are the days when clubs like Aberdeen, Nottingham Forest and Aston Villa could win European Competitions. Dundee United, currently not even in the top league in Scotland, reached a UEFA Cup Final, beating Barcelona home and away along the way.

The so called "fair play rules" have then made things even worse.
They just preserve the status quo with the same dozen or so elite European clubs remaining in the financial stratosphere... whilst everybody else has to live within their relatively meagre means.

Other clubs aren't even allowed to get lucky via a rich new owner or investor because the "fair play" rules stop them spending money .

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-02-05 12:49 by Spud.

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: February 9, 2019 16:33

Looks like another win coming up for Man U this afternoon at Fulham.
Puts them up to fourth place in Premier League until at least tomorrow when Chelsea play Man City.
Ten wins and one draw since Ole took over this really great team who just couldn't..........or wouldn't play their best under Jose as manager.
Tough games coming up against PSG, Chelsea and Liverpool which will really have to get the team playing at their very best.
Fulham v Man U

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-02-09 16:54 by crawdaddy.

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: February 12, 2019 22:25

I heard Ole Gunnar’s photo is front and center Norway main paper.

Word on the street if they win today, Ole is getting a job.
No pressure ...

Date: February 19, 2019 00:55

Another good win for Man U at Chelsea tonight in the FA Cup.

Two good goals for them and next up in the FA Cup is a quarter final game at Wolves in March.

Next game in the Premier is at home to Liverpool on Sunday.

Chelsea v ManU

Date: February 19, 2019 10:26

Lets just say that Spurs fans will be increasingly optimistic about keeping their manager this summer grinning smiley

Date: February 19, 2019 11:36

Yes ! I would think that Man U and Spurs will keep the same managers next football season that they have now.

In my opinion the four top clubs ………………..Man City,Liverpool,Spurs and Man Utd. have got the best players and managers in the U.K. and maybe even Europe. thumbs up

Date: February 19, 2019 12:20

The thing is: When you're the head coach for a big team like MU you must win something. They are out of the EFL, well behind in the Premiership and looking so-so in the CL. So the FA-cup then, maybe?

Date: February 19, 2019 16:17

The problem with the English Premier league is at the same its greatest strength.

There are four or five teams with the quality to win and deserve the title...but only one title to win.

How not coming out on top from those four or five teams can be seen as failure I'm not really sure...but, sadly, that's how football works.

Even the FA cup is today seen as a "booby prize" ...with all emphasis being on top four placement for Champions League paydays.

Personally I don't like the increasing globalisation of football.
The old European Cup was great, and suitably prestigious in its own right, but nothing should be more important then each nation's domestic league and major cup competitions.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-02-19 16:23 by Spud.

Date: February 19, 2019 16:29

Spud
The problem with the English Premier league is at the same its greatest strength.

There are four or five teams with the quality to win and deserve the title...but only one title to win.

How not coming out on top from those four or five teams can be seen as failure I'm not really sure...but, sadly, that's how football works.

Even the FA cup is today seen as a "booby prize" ...with all emphasis being on top four placement for Champions League paydays.

Personally I don't like the increasing globalisation of football.
The old European Cup was great, and suitably prestigious in its own right, but nothing should be more important then each nation's domestic league and major cup competitions.

It's a sad day when coming 4th in your national league is more important than winning your national cup.

The Champions' League is a ridiculous oxymoron. Many of the competing teams aren't even Champions! In the leagues of Germany, Spain and England you can qualify from 4th place the previous season. Daft.

It's one indulgent billionaire against another. I treat it with the contempt I believe it deserves.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-02-19 17:03 by grzegorz67.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: February 19, 2019 19:06

It’s quite simple: support your local, lower league side. I knew a chap who ditched his Spurs season ticket and started to follow his local side, non-league Dartford FC. This is where real football is. Don’t be an armchair fan, pretending to support Manchester United or Chelsea; unless you are from Salford or south-west London!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-02-19 19:08 by Big Al.

Date: March 7, 2019 00:32

Fantastic win tonight ,by the magnificent Team and Manager of Manchester United.

Against all the odds, this team got through to the next stage of Champions League with a 3-1 win at PSG.

Ole will be manager at start of next season, and then the team will just play great football ……………………as they have been doing since the new manager took over.
They will compete against Man City and Liverpool as the best team in the Premier League and Europe.

14 wins in 17 games as team manager is great for any team in the world with a new boss.

A great night for Man Utd. smileys with beer

PSG V Man Utd.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-03-07 01:24 by crawdaddy.

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: March 7, 2019 00:37

crawdaddy
Fantastic win tonight ,by the magnificent Team and Manager of Manchester United.

Against all the odds, this team got through to the next stage of Champions League with a 3-1 win at PSG.

Ole will be manager at start of next season, and then the team will just play great football ……………………as they have been doing since the new manager took over.
They will compete against Man City and Liverpool as the best team in the Premier League and Europe.

PSG V Man Utd.

Football, bloody hell!

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Posted by: 1985jayer ()
Date: March 7, 2019 00:42

that was not a penalty
that was not a penalty
yes, thay are playing well, but never seen that called before, his back was to the ball and it was a horrible call and worst VAR. All 3 Sweden ref's wanted the Norway Manchester Utd manager to win.

Deltics
crawdaddy

PSG V Man Utd.

Football, bloody hell!

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: March 7, 2019 00:47

1985jayer
that was not a penalty
that was not a penalty
yes, thay are playing well, but never seen that called before, his back was to the ball and it was a horrible call and worst VAR. All 3 Sweden ref's wanted the Norway Manchester Utd manager to win.

Deltics
crawdaddy

PSG V Man Utd.

Football, bloody hell!

PSG sloppy tonight and Buffon too old. Why having a 40 years old goal keeper!!!

Date: March 7, 2019 00:55

France and PSG fans are gonna moan and groan about the penalty , but unfortunately in this day and age, technology takes over...….good or bad ,if the immediate decision of the referee is in doubt or unsure.
I thought it was a genuine penalty ,but obviously fans of opposing sides will disagree one way or the other.

That's football...……….and all sport these days. confused smiley

Posted by: piet ()
Date: March 7, 2019 01:11

1985jayer
that was not a penalty
that was not a penalty

The ref was from Slovenia

Date: March 7, 2019 02:01

First: the referee was Slovenian, not Swedish. Slovenia is far away from Norway. The VAR-referee was Italian by the way.

Second: Man U were lucky. Nothing else. You can't have more luck than that in one game. Basically a hat trick of luck! Two horrible mistakes and a VAR-penalty on extra time.
They didn't produce a shot on goal in the second half. Lukaku handled his chances well though. No mistakes there.

Third: VAR-situations are tricky. I would not have given a penalty in that situation. But the ref did.

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: March 8, 2019 17:36

crawdaddy
France and PSG fans are gonna moan and groan about the penalty , but unfortunately in this day and age, technology takes over...….good or bad ,if the immediate decision of the referee is in doubt or unsure.
I thought it was a genuine penalty ,but obviously fans of opposing sides will disagree one way or the other.

That's football...……….and all sport these days. confused smiley

But didn't France get a questionable decision against Eire (Republic of Ireland), involving Thierry Henri some years back ?

It's all part of the joy of football, in that questionable decisions are made whenever a match is played.

Posted by: bv ()
Date: March 8, 2019 18:01

The PSC vs man U was a great game, lots of great playing and tactics.

The penalty decition was pretty clear, as the PSG player made himself wide by actively keeping his shoulder wide, seeking the ball,. and preventing the ball from going into the PSG net. The rules are clear; you should not seek the ball with your arm in such a position.

PSG owned the ball for the first half and for the first thirty minutes of the second half. Then Ole G "let the kids out", and Man U had a totally different game. PSG thought they had a save lead of one goal, but their manager should have pushed harder rather than trying to let the clock tick while sticing to the ball.

Sorry to all the PSG fans but right now it is Ole time as it seems.

PS. Also congratulations to AJAX and all their fans. I love it when "the kids" rule the field.

Bjornulf

Posted by: Braincapers ()
Date: March 8, 2019 18:03

Just give him the job now. Bringing back Phelan was a good idea. There's a real Man Utd feeling about Man Utd now

Posted by: bv ()
Date: March 8, 2019 20:59

I think they should wait until the end of the season, until they decide. Man U has been circulating a number of team managers since Sir Alex. Just wait and see. Patience is the word. Ole will not go anywhere, and he will not sign up with any other team anyway. If he mess up during the next few weeks - which I do not believe he will - then they will know. If they end up top four and make a great season then I think the choice for the owners is easy.

Bjornulf

Date: March 8, 2019 21:13

-

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-03-09 01:27 by Stoneage.

Posted by: 1985jayer ()
Date: March 8, 2019 22:30

my bad on the ref being from Sweden, i just looked and all 3 are from Slovenia. I should have know what SLV means since i am Slovenian myself. Kind of silly on me. Sometimes luck will win. I just didnt want the game decided on an so so penalty call. best of luck to all still in the Champions League

Stoneage
First: the referee was Slovenian, not Swedish. Slovenia is far away from Norway. The VAR-referee was Italian by the way.

Second: Man U were lucky. Nothing else. You can't have more luck than that in one game. Basically a hat trick of luck! Two horrible mistakes and a VAR-penalty on extra time.
They didn't produce a shot on goal in the second half. Lukaku handled his chances well though. No mistakes there.

Third: VAR-situations are tricky. I would not have given a penalty in that situation. But the ref did.

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: March 8, 2019 22:48

Uefa backs VAR decision that gave Man Utd penalty against PSG

Uefa said the distance the ball covered was "not short" and Kimpembe's arm was "not close" to his body.
Based on this, it added that "the impact could therefore not be unexpected" and "the defender's body [was made] bigger thus resulting in the ball being stopped from travelling in the direction of the goal.

"The referee, therefore, awarded a penalty kick.

"Given that the referee did not recognise the incident clearly during live play [referred to as serious missed incident in the VAR protocol] an on-field review was conducted."

[www.bbc.co.uk]

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Date: March 9, 2019 00:32

Ole has proved himself as a football player...……. and now as a manager at Manchester United, to go onwards and upwards.

Best manager since Sir Alex Ferguson since he retired ,but Alex is still a big part of Man Utd and I guess Ole knows this, and they probably work very closely together.
Obviously Ole is the boss and he makes all the decisions.

They play Arsenal on Sunday and I really do hope that it will be another win for one of the best 3 teams in the Premier league this season.

Come on you Reds. smileys with beer

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2038
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home