Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4
Re: OT: Great start for Norwegian manager Ole Gunnar Solskjaer of Man. Utd.
Posted by: 35love ()
Date: January 14, 2019 20:36

And well-dressed men @ MU, too
[www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk]

Solskjaer has worn his two-piece club suit, white shirt and red tie for all six of his matches in charge so far and his mentor, Sir Alex Ferguson, was a staunch advocate of United players wearing suits to represent the club at away games and on European trips.

Putting on the jacket with the large crest on the breast pocket gave me a sense of arriving, of achieving, reall. It took me back to those days standing in the corridor at Upton Park, seeing United players walking in all smart and thinking, 'Yes, they look the best

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-01-14 20:37 by 35love.

Date: January 14, 2019 23:29

I’m adding, my poor bugger H. I get MU info here, ask him, top convo to him.

So the MU goalie who had 11 saves. With gymnastics. My H saw him play goal guess where,
Levi Stadium Santa Clara.
Keep on Norwegian (s) everywhere smileys with beer

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: January 27, 2019 17:12

Eight straight wins now for Man Utd.
The match on Friday night was a great game and a pleasure to watch. thumbs up

Jan 25th Arsenal 1 Man U 3

Jan 19th Man U 2 Brighton 1

Jan 13th Spurs 0 Man U 1

Jan 5th Man U 2 Reading 0

Jan 2nd Newcastle 0 Man U 2

Dec 30th Man U 4 Bournmouth 1

Dec 26th Man U 3 Huddersfield 1

Dec 22nd Cardiff 1 Man U 5

Ole fits in well at Man Utd.

Date: January 27, 2019 18:29

‘Manchester United 'will not make decision on Ole Gunnar Solskjaer's future until the SUMMER' despite his perfect start as stars arrive for training ahead of Premier League return
Manchester United players returned to training on Sunday morning
United's stars had Saturday off after securing place in the FA Cup fifth round
It was the eighth win on the spin for interim manager Ole Gunnar Solskjaer
Players and staff now believe he has done enough to secure role permanently.’

How do pronounce ‘Ole’
In my head I’m calling him old Gunnar. That ol’ Gunnar did it again :-)

Edit: O. Lee or Ollie.
Only Bjornulf knows for sure. grinning smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-01-27 18:58 by 35love.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: January 27, 2019 19:19

Not O-Lee, 35 Love. E as in "let" or "net". And O as in "school". In Sweden we do not have Ole instead we have Olle (which is a short form for Olof).
How to pronounce Gunnar is another story. Probably impossible for an Englishman (or American).

Date: January 27, 2019 19:26

Here I found how to pronounce Ole-Gunnar Solskjär: [www.youtube.com]

Not exactly correct, but close to it...

Date: January 27, 2019 20:06

"Ooleh"

Posted by: MadMax ()
Date: January 28, 2019 10:52

That game on friday night was rubbish. Unai "I'd rather win 5-4 than 1-0" Emery should get his marching orders as far as I'm concerned. What a t**t. Just win the game. The tattooed, "weak human beings"-styled (as Roy Keane accurately put it the other week) footballers of today have no respect for the game or its history. Last time I Went to a home game in London in 2007 I left after 20 mins. Might as well Watch it on telly or even better, tele text. Then I can at least pretend there are still some Tony Adamses, Roy Keanes, Patrick Vieiras, Duncan Fergusons etc etc still in the game.

angry smiley

Date: January 28, 2019 11:51

MadMax
That game on friday night was rubbish. Unai "I'd rather win 5-4 than 1-0" Emery should get his marching orders as far as I'm concerned. What a t**t. Just win the game. The tattooed, "weak human beings"-styled (as Roy Keane accurately put it the other week) footballers of today have no respect for the game or its history. Last time I Went to a home game in London in 2007 I left after 20 mins. Might as well Watch it on telly or even better, tele text. Then I can at least pretend there are still some Tony Adamses, Roy Keanes, Patrick Vieiras, Duncan Fergusons etc etc still in the game.

angry smiley

You should try Aussie football, Max winking smiley

Date: January 28, 2019 12:24

Funny you should mention that Dandy!! I remember going to Ireland for 2 weeks back in the summer of '95 and all they showed in the pubs was Aussie Football as it was silly season for the "normal" footy. As Kennet Andersson teached the World during the summer before in the US '94 World cup, I instantly recognized the sign for a goal in Aussie land ;-) Two shotguns sez the ref!

I Think I even learned the rules during those 2 weeks. It was like being an ex-pat in LA, takes two weeks then you know the rules in baseball, winking smiley

Happy Days!

(On Another note, Look out for Tricky Trees from now on, Keane just signed on as O'Neills Number 2.... Now all I want is TA 6 for The Gunners with George Graham as his number 2...Well one is allowed to Dream ;-)

Date: January 28, 2019 12:33

MadMax
Funny you should mention that Dandy!! I remember going to Ireland for 2 weeks back in the summer of '95 and all they showed in the pubs was Aussie Football as it was silly season for the "normal" footy. As Kennet Andersson teached the World during the summer before in the US '94 World cup, I instantly recognized the sign for a goal in Aussie land ;-) Two shotguns sez the ref!

I Think I even learned the rules during those 2 weeks. It was like being an ex-pat in LA, takes two weeks then you know the rules in baseball, winking smiley

Happy Days!

(On Another note, Look out for Tricky Trees from now on, Keane just signed on as O'Neills Number 2.... Now all I want is TA 6 for The Gunners with George Graham as his number 2...Well one is allowed to Dream ;-)

Me and my friend got Kennet Andersson's and Peter Larsson's seats on our flight on the way home from the US World Championship in 1994. The nicest guys you'd ever meet. They didn't like being double booked and guided to poorer seats - sure - but they kept coming back joking about the double booking several times grinning smiley

Great players, great guys thumbs up

Date: January 28, 2019 12:39

That Is A M A Z I N G!!!!!!! Did you fly to Arlanda Dandy? I wish I was 15 years older, I would've joined ya!!! I know Peter Larsson wasn't in the squad but did he join the lads come the semi-finals as a spectator maybe? Shame he didn't bring more as a manager.

smileys with beer

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-01-28 12:49 by MadMax.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: January 28, 2019 13:11

crawdaddy
Eight straight wins now for Man Utd.
The match on Friday night was a great game and a pleasure to watch. thumbs up

Jan 25th Arsenal 1 Man U 3

Jan 19th Man U 2 Brighton 1

Jan 13th Spurs 0 Man U 1

Jan 5th Man U 2 Reading 0

Jan 2nd Newcastle 0 Man U 2

Dec 30th Man U 4 Bournmouth 1

Dec 26th Man U 3 Huddersfield 1

Dec 22nd Cardiff 1 Man U 5

Ole fits in well at Man Utd.

Looking forward to playing Utd. I'm a City fan.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: January 28, 2019 16:55

When Ole played for Utd he developed quite a pronounced Manc twang in his accent

This was still audible in his English when he managed briefly in Wales and when he returned to Utd ...

..but now , after just a few short weeks back in Manchester, it's back and he sounds once again ready for a part in Coronation Street.grinning smiley

Date: January 28, 2019 21:04

My husband could use MU to keep winning.
He’s a good bloke, who I should focus more on right now.
P.S.
Although I write with some British slang,
never in a million
would I attempt to speak it.
Ole

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-01-28 21:04 by 35love.

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: January 28, 2019 22:15

Still some tough games:

PSG in CL
Chelsea in FA Cup (a)
Man City (h), Chelsea (h), Liverpool (h) and Arsenal (a)

If he can get good results then he can be proud.
Still, minimum 4'th place must be reached.
I guess 5'th place is more or less in the hands

Posted by: bv ()
Date: January 29, 2019 16:49

The Man U fans can't really complain as long as their team is winning games.

When Ole number twenty moved from Molde Norway to Manchester England last month, I booked an upgdrade of my TV channels, so that I could ¨follow the ups and downs of the team. So far there has been ups and ups mainly.

I watch other teams and feel sorry for them, like Huddersfield, they are in desperate need of goals but it doedsn't seem like they will score many.

I see Southampton and think about the Stones show at their "little" stadium last summer, what a stadium, great city.

I watch the other games when I can, but to be honest, the Rashford Pogba etc combinations do work, and I would rather see a game ending at 3-2 rather than 1-0...

Bjornulf

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: January 29, 2019 20:11

"Coronation Street" mentioned on IORR - possibly a first.

Peter Schmichael also developed a Mancunian accent during his stay at Man Utd.

It's great that United are playing well, and it could be a good omen for their Champions League campaign.

Mourinho's strategies obviously stifled the team, but then, nowadays, his tactics are a tad Emperor's New Clothes.

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: January 29, 2019 20:28

tomcasagranda
"Coronation Street" mentioned on IORR - possibly a first.

Peter Schmichael also developed a Mancunian accent during his stay at Man Utd.

It's great that United are playing well, and it could be a good omen for their Champions League campaign.

Mourinho's strategies obviously stifled the team, but then, nowadays, his tactics are a tad Emperor's New Clothes.

Not quite!
[iorr.org]

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: February 3, 2019 22:54

Ten games and still unbeaten after the one goal victory over Leicester.

Just one draw against Burnley and nine wins since Ole took over.

Always a great team …………………………but now the best Man United manager since Sir Alex, to get the world class players to play as a team.

Leicester 0 Man Utd. 1

Date: February 3, 2019 23:08

Apart from the money rain it would be hell to be coach for MU. You must win every game, otherwise...

Date: February 4, 2019 10:56

Stoneage
Apart from the money rain it would be hell to be coach for MU. You must win every game, otherwise...

Actually, I think the situation has been the direct opposite for Solskjær. The team was so bad that nobody thought anybody would get them on the winning streak right away - hence the surprise that he made that happen smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-02-04 10:56 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: bv ()
Date: February 4, 2019 14:42

Over the past five years, Manchester City have won three out of five Premier League championships, while Leichester sneaked in on one, and Chelsea had another. Before that, Man U won five out of the ten Premier League championships. Nedless to say, Man U do expect to win Premier League soon again, and as a minimum, to be among the top four.

Man U have tried a number of high profile managers since Sir Alex Ferguson left six years ago. I don't know how smart the boards of directors are in British football, but it is not rocket science to understand that it takes at least twenty or more games rather than one or even ten games to understand how a manager do work with a team, as well as the club standards and history.

Sir Alex is said to be a big fan of Tottenham's Mauricio Pochettino. Even if the Spurs fans finally may enjoy seing their team above their enemy Gunners on the Premier League table, life isn't as simple as that, when it comes to "buy up" a table position. I am sure the Man U board will have many interesting discussions during the next couple of months, regarding who might bring back the glory and fame of the Ferguson days.

Bjornulf

Date: February 4, 2019 14:43

Sure Dandy, but let's wait and see what happens when they lose three in a row...

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: February 4, 2019 14:43

You've only got to look at the squad to see how they should be playing .

Ole's letting them do it.

It does make you wonder what Jose did to flatten them so much...

...are the folks correct who believe he deliberately engineered his exit ?

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: February 4, 2019 14:54

Donnebr
What about Celtic winning. Onwards to 8 in a row

Glory hunter. Support your local team. winking smiley

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: February 4, 2019 15:29

His Majesty
Donnebr

Absolutely. It’s one of my peeves that, say, people from Surrey claim to support Manchester United, yet have no connection to club through family ties or residence. Say it like it is: you’re an armchair fan; not a supporter.

Posted by: grzegorz67 ()
Date: February 4, 2019 15:41

His Majesty
Donnebr

Celtic have more money than the rest of the Scottish League put together. I fully expect to see them completing 10 in a row and more. Rubbish irrelevant league with rubbish referees who repeatedly favour 2 teams. The Rangers got 4 penalties on Saturday, 3 of which were extremely dubious at best.

It pains me to make these comments as a Scottish Football fan but it's true. It's a laughing stock of a 'competition'.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: February 4, 2019 15:53

Football in general is a joke far as competition goes.

Money has killed it and glory hunters have played their part in that.

Some twats will come along soon enough to justifiy their support for teams that really have nothing to do with them.

I have a friend that is crazy about Man City. Born and bred in Aberdeen, but his excuse is he has liked City since he was a child. season ticket holder, spends a fortune flying back and forth. Makes a change from usual glory hunter choices up here, but still, what a @#$%&.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-02-04 15:56 by His Majesty.

Date: February 4, 2019 16:56

Big Al
His Majesty
Donnebr

Absolutely. It’s one of my peeves that, say, people from Surrey claim to support Manchester United, yet have no connection to club through family ties or residence. Say it like it is: you’re an armchair fan; not a supporter.

And I thought this was the more civilized ‘football’ ;-)
Don’t call my H ‘armchair’ although he sits in one watching all MU games in the USA
His family plucked him out of England as a child who was a MU fan
(not sure he was in the correct soccer boundary tho sorry lol)
and put him in the middle of SF.
Poor chap has only seen MU play live once, in the US, when they came to Santa Clara.
He bleeds red and black.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1742
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home