Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: What's the best commercially available filmed Stones concert?
Posted by: Cooltoplady ()
Date: December 25, 2018 04:36

NeverMakeASaintOfMe
I believe the pitch is off in Shine A Light. It's very noticeable to me and it makes it unenjoyable.

Is that why Jack White sounds like a nervous middle school girl? Or does he always sound like that? spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: December 25, 2018 15:16

spunky
Totally Stripped club shows and the Four Ficks box.

Yes, agree, then I’d add Fonda 2015, and Hyde Park 2013.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: December 26, 2018 13:30

Ladies & Gentleman

Posted by: Ross ()
Date: December 26, 2018 14:05

Best filmed - Fonda 2015
Best performance - L&G

Posted by: RockingLonestar ()
Date: December 27, 2018 10:25

Olympia 1995 & Paradiso 1995

Posted by: floodonthepage ()
Date: December 27, 2018 16:49

dcba
mosthigh
my pick would 'Let's Spend The Night Together' (1982) by Hal Ashby.

Alas it's been sped-up* so you don't really have an accurate representation of the Stones in 81... I'd pick instead Hampton'81.

* = for some reason the Keith song is untouched.

How sped up is it? I've read about this issue for years, but never really saw anything that explained how bad the problem is. I have the generically titled "Greatest Hits Live" DVD version, and prior to that I have seen the VHS edition. Neither of them stood out as being strange, but maybe it's like anything that's slightly off....you get used to it. Is it truly worth it to hunt down the Japanese Bluray? I suppose that's a question only I can answer, but I was just curious if anyone knew just how "off" the speed really is.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: December 27, 2018 17:08

Best is subjective. I still enjoy Hal Ashby's LET'S SPEND THE NIGHT TOGETHER and recommend it for Caleb Deschanel's work alone. Visually, HAMPTON 1981 cannot compare to it. While there are issues with speeding up songs, the bigger problem is so many songs are edited down and, in some cases, butchered. Is it still essential? On the strength of what is there, yes. A restored version with complete performances speed-corrected would be ideal. Visually, it is far and away the best looking Stones concert film.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2018-12-28 00:10 by Rocky Dijon.

Posted by: MTWEMISSYOU ()
Date: December 28, 2018 02:06

Although its not a concert film I would have to say Gimmie Shelter mainly for the best versions of their 2 biggest songs Jumpin Jack Flash and Satisfaction, respectively which in my opinion is like nothing they have ever recorded live since or before on film or otherwise. As for a concert film then L & G. Midnight Rambler is the best version ever!

Posted by: FrogSugar ()
Date: December 28, 2018 13:35

MTWEMISSYOU
Although its not a concert film I would have to say Gimmie Shelter mainly for the best versions of their 2 biggest songs Jumpin Jack Flash and Satisfaction, respectively which in my opinion is like nothing they have ever recorded live since or before on film or otherwise. As for a concert film then L & G. Midnight Rambler is the best version ever!

Love GS... Also, I really dig the version of Wild Horses on there when they're in the studio, I wish it was available somewhere (I don't think that's the one on the Sticky Fingers bonus disc)

Date: December 28, 2018 15:13

IMO the Ashby film doesn't even come close to 'Gimme Shelter' or "Ladies & Gents'; or even Hyde Park. It is the very NON perfect cinematography of the earlier films; the scratchiness, the erratic camera movement, the searching light beams, at times slo-mo that makes viewing the Stones a mystical experience.
I remember my excitement, and nervousness watching those movies back then; I can still achieve that. The sunny 81 film never did that.

Posted by: Ket ()
Date: December 28, 2018 16:25

Some Girls live is the best in my opinion, when I saw it in the cinema it actually did feel like a live concert.

Posted by: Sipuncula ()
Date: December 30, 2018 01:20

floodonthepage
How sped up is it? I've read about this issue for years, but never really saw anything that explained how bad the problem is. I have the generically titled "Greatest Hits Live" DVD version, and prior to that I have seen the VHS edition. Neither of them stood out as being strange, but maybe it's like anything that's slightly off....you get used to it. Is it truly worth it to hunt down the Japanese Bluray? I suppose that's a question only I can answer, but I was just curious if anyone knew just how "off" the speed really is.

I haven't noticed any problems, personally. I can only guess that the issue is with PAL format copies for the non-US, non-Japan people. I have only seen NTSC VHS (and maybe DVD) and a high-def airing more recently, all of which seem to be fine.

Posted by: mitchrambler ()
Date: December 30, 2018 16:35

Let's spend the night together in my opinion..love the intro of Beast with copter overhead.

Posted by: welshphil ()
Date: December 30, 2018 22:49

I would say L.A.Friday , only out on DVD , but the DTS surround sound is excellent .
Then would go for Some Girls live at Texas , followed by Leeds Roundhay Park..

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: December 31, 2018 01:14

FrogSugar
MTWEMISSYOU

Love GS... Also, I really dig the version of Wild Horses on there when they're in the studio, I wish it was available somewhere (I don't think that's the one on the Sticky Fingers bonus disc)

I'm pretty sure the Sticky bonus version is the extended version that they play on Gimme Shelter

Posted by: swimtothemoon ()
Date: January 1, 2019 02:08

MrEcho
Let's Spend The Night Together (US Tour 1981) – Japanese Blu-ray, which runs at the correct speed.

Yes, the Japanese Blu-ray is a nice upgrade. I found my copy on ebay.

Posted by: MadMax ()
Date: January 1, 2019 13:29

Live In Texas 1978 and Hal Ashbys LSTNT are EASILY the two best ones. L & G is awful to Watch, it just focus on Jagger 75% of the time. Dreadful. The sound is also substandard. Missed opportunity.

Posted by: GeorgV ()
Date: January 1, 2019 13:58

Sipuncula
floodonthepage

I haven't noticed any problems, personally. I can only guess that the issue is with PAL format copies for the non-US, non-Japan people. I have only seen NTSC VHS (and maybe DVD) and a high-def airing more recently, all of which seem to be fine.

The movie could originally be slightly speed up, but when you speed it up even more due to PAL it is clearly to fast. Pal is 25 frames pr second while NTSC is 24, so PAL DVDs will play 4.2% faster. I might be wrong, but I believe that musically this will also change the pitch of a 440 Hz A note on NTSC to 458 Hz on PAL, which is closer to A#(466 Hz)

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: January 1, 2019 21:35

GeorgV
Sipuncula
floodonthepage

The movie could originally be slightly speed up, but when you speed it up even more due to PAL it is clearly to fast. Pal is 25 frames pr second while NTSC is 24, so PAL DVDs will play 4.2% faster. I might be wrong, but I believe that musically this will also change the pitch of a 440 Hz A note on NTSC to 458 Hz on PAL, which is closer to A#(466 Hz)

THAT is very impressive info! No kidding! But .... when I listen f.i. to the Stones' unreleased Eliza Upchink at two completely different speeds, I can enjoy both, since they don't hurt my listening with unacceptable notes. The flexibility of our senses slowly degrade over the decades, so all that "super-hifi", SACD, High Vision and so on is only for the young for as long as it takes. Having said that, my 60s SACD Stones stuff sounds way better than the 1985 crap releases.

Posted by: floodonthepage ()
Date: January 2, 2019 00:53

GeorgV
Sipuncula
floodonthepage

Thank you Sipuncula and GeorgV. Sounds like my "Lets Spend the Night Together: Greatest Hits Live" DVD (despite the awful artwork and generic subtitle) is probably fairly true to life, being NTSC. But if I see a cheap Japanese Blu Ray it might still be a nice upgrade.

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: January 2, 2019 17:46

odean73
flairville
Hampton 1981. The holy grail.

This all day long.

All week long...edited to hell but cinemagraphically unequaled
One of the finest All Down The Line performances ever...

Posted by: RockingLonestar ()
Date: January 3, 2019 11:04

Munichhilton
odean73
flairville
Hampton 1981. The holy grail.

This all day long.

All week long...edited to hell but cinemagraphically unequaled
One of the finest All Down The Line performances ever...

No All Down The Line in Hampton, December 18th Performance.

Posted by: padre69 ()
Date: January 7, 2019 22:53

Interesting quotes from Bill Wyman’s ”Rolling With The Stones” -book from the LSTNT/Still Life -era:
”Mick and Keith were in the studio in New York listening to live tapes from the US (1981) tour. Mick wanted to record old songs in the studio and over-dub the audience, which didn’t seem like a very good idea.”

and a few pages forward:

”August was a holiday until Mick decided he wanted to overdub the film. He told me to fly back from Venice which, for the sake of peace, I did.”

Did they really record whole songs in the studio for the film or the album or just some overdubs?

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2390
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home