Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Did the Stones ever meet Elvis?
Posted by: timbernardis ()
Date: December 21, 2018 02:21

oh, and good to see you posting, Gazz.

p

Posted by: keithglimmer ()
Date: December 21, 2018 03:13

jlowe
stickyfingers101
keithglimmer
Elvis really disliked the Stones especially Mick. He thought he was gay and that the Stones were promoting illegal drug use (two big no-one in Ep's book).

Wait a minute...promoting drugs was a no-no...or taking drugs?

Elvis was a pill-popping junkie for most of his career. Isn't that what killed him?

Yes..well, he had other health issues, but the huge consumption of drugs certainly didn't help.
He was also a Republican, dyed his hair, had a fondness for young girls and spent beyond his means.
Worst of all, he never toured the UK.
Still, he had a great singing voice...until the drugs got the better of him.

While his drug intake wasn't healthy in any way it didn't kill him. He suffered from colonic neuropathy. The nerves and muscles in his colon weren't working and he couldnt.....um..ya know.. "evacuate". He died trying to take a dump. As far as The stones go he thought they and the Beatles were encouraging American youth to smoke weed and do acid. The quote I read about Mick had Elvis telling his step brother , who tried to play Zep and the stones for him in the early 70's , "he acts like a fag" .

Posted by: Toru A ()
Date: December 21, 2018 06:27

with Scotty Moore and King.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: December 21, 2018 07:24

Toru A
with Scotty Moore and King.

Elvis looks a lot younger than Keith in that shot.

Posted by: Happy24 ()
Date: December 21, 2018 07:47

buttons67
ive never got why elvis was so popular.

according to most polls.

3 biggest selling acts of all time were the beatles michael jackson and elvis.

dont get it, they all overrated.

elvis never wrote a song in his life, was an average singer who just happened to wiggle his hips a bit more than most.

An average singer? Seriously?

As for not writing songs - yes, he never really wrote one and I also generally don't like singers who don't write their own material, but there are few exceptions. Johnny Cash or Jerry Lee also sang a lot of covers (though they wrote some songs) and they are up there among the absolutely best together with Elvis. One has to be really an amazing singer / performer who is able to make the song his own. Those three above could do that any time. I would say Elvis was absolutely best at that. Speaking about Johnny Cash - I always thing about Hurt as his own song for instance. He turned it into something completely different and waaay better than the original in my opinion. Not many people can do such a thing. But Johnny, Jerry and Elvis could...

Date: December 21, 2018 08:22

I can not agree about Elvis not being exceptional;, or calling him an average singer. The guy had incredible style and charisma in buckets. One of the few people like Jagger or Nureyev in their prime, whose mere presence will electrify a stage. Just because he didn't write songs means nothing.
He had a serious set of [pipes; great range. Just listen to him do the huge numbers (like them or not) "You Gave Me A Mountain" or "Glory Glory ", "Bridge over troubled water".

Edit - fat, sick or old..I don't think I once have heard Elvis hit a flat note. His ear was impeccable.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-12-21 08:30 by Palace Revolution 2000.

Posted by: Happy24 ()
Date: December 21, 2018 09:25

Palace Revolution 2000
Edit - fat, sick or old..I don't think I once have heard Elvis hit a flat note. His ear was impeccable.

The last concerts that were shot for a TV special sortly before he died were painful to watch for me. He really struggles with some songs. He still sings great if you compare him with 99.9% of other singers, but it was waaay bellow his standard. I have only watched it once and it was a couple of years ago, but I remember it was a real shock to me that that was really Elvis.

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: December 21, 2018 15:31

“While his drug intake wasn't healthy in any way it didn't kill him.”
quote from above

Naivety ^
Nativity: Merry Christmas

Date: December 21, 2018 16:23

Happy24
Palace Revolution 2000

The last concerts that were shot for a TV special sortly before he died were painful to watch for me. He really struggles with some songs. He still sings great if you compare him with 99.9% of other singers, but it was waaay bellow his standard. I have only watched it once and it was a couple of years ago, but I remember it was a real shock to me that that was really Elvis.

Totally agree; just when I wrote the above post I went to watch a clip of "You gave me a mountain". Normally I';ll watch '72 or '73, but this time I watched '77. It was the same kay, and like you say, he was still better than most, but compared to his earlier versions it was but a shadow.

Posted by: mnewman505 ()
Date: December 21, 2018 16:24

Michael Jackson is overrated and Elvis can't sing. This thread is hilarious. I swear half my enjoyment on this board comes from absurd opinions.

Posted by: Happy Jack ()
Date: December 21, 2018 16:28

Happy24
buttons67

according to most polls.

elvis never wrote a song in his life, was an average singer who just happened to wiggle his hips a bit more than most.

As for not writing songs - yes, he never really wrote one and I also generally don't like singers who don't write their own material, but there are few exceptions. Johnny Cash or Jerry Lee also sang a lot of covers (though they wrote some songs) and they are up there among the absolutely best together with Elvis. One has to be really an amazing singer / performer who is able to make the song his own. Those three above could do that any time. I would say Elvis was absolutely best at that. Speaking about Johnny Cash - I always thing about Hurt as his own song for instance. He turned it into something completely different and waaay better than the original in my opinion. Not many people can do such a thing. But Johnny, Jerry and Elvis could...

Elvis, like Sinatra, may not have written his own songs but their instrument was their voice. Both honed it to perfection and used it like Hendrix, Page or Richards used a guitar.

My original impetus for starting this thread was I have been listening and watching the recent 50th box set of Elvis' 68 Comeback special and realized the (missed) potential there. If Elvis had continued in that vein, stripped down and raw for a few years rather than coming out with a large backing band I believe he could have been an even better live performer. His 69-72 performances would good (and possibly the Hawaii 73 performance) but after that there was a marked decline in his performance, possibly due to increased drug intake and overwork (the guy was touring constantly).
As for the Stones meeting him, it seemed only natural that they would want to meet him, even if he might have been less than what they would have expected.

Posted by: blivet ()
Date: December 21, 2018 17:06

Mick never met Elvis, and said that he regretted very much not having taken advantage of the opportunity to do so.

Posted by: timbernardis ()
Date: December 22, 2018 05:33

Was there a specific opportunity?

plexi

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: December 22, 2018 05:58

I just remembered seeing a shot in LIFE magazine many
years ago of Ronnie outside Graceland in a pink Cadillac …..

Hazy but I recall it was a one page article and Ronnie
saying something about how he regretted that he never got to meet Elvis....

ROCKMAN

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-12-22 05:59 by Rockman.

Date: December 22, 2018 07:52

Rockman

That seems to ring a bell. Wasn't it Ronnie in one of those 80's type ripped T shirts with maybe a Falcon guitar?

Posted by: blivet ()
Date: December 22, 2018 17:16

timbernardis
Was there a specific opportunity?

plexi

In the interview I read, Mick didn't go into detail, but he seemed to be referring to a specific chance to meet him.

I suppose he must have been in the same town as Elvis at some point, and someone offered to arrange a visit.

Mick said that he declined because John Lennon had told him it was a bit of a disappointment, but that he regretted the decision.

Posted by: DaveG ()
Date: December 22, 2018 19:37

Rockman

That was the article that I referred to earlier. I remember it was Life Magazine, and the Cadillac. I think he said something in the article about seeing Elvis in Vegas.

Date: December 22, 2018 19:43

As far as peer to peer contact,
Wayne Newton was available and wrote a song/ obtained/ shared a letter from Elvis
[m.youtube.com]
and Frank Sinatra called and offered help/ support when Elvis was not feeling well cancelled show toward the last few years.

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: December 22, 2018 20:02

timbernardis
well, he ain't the king of rock n roll. That's Chuck, baby.

plexi

Chuck Leavell?

Date: December 22, 2018 21:38

mnewman505
Michael Jackson is overrated and Elvis can't sing. This thread is hilarious. I swear half my enjoyment on this board comes from absurd opinions.

Have you seen the Wayne Newton clip I posted up earlier ^ if you like Elvis and haven't seen it before it’s moving (to me).

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: December 22, 2018 22:32

Ronnie at Graceland -- photo Harry Benson

ROCKMAN

Posted by: colonial ()
Date: January 13, 2019 23:35

I bought "The Searcher" DVD (3 hours 17 minutes) in the weekend and I've watched it twice I didn't realise Elvis's '68 Comeback show he was going to cancel it minutes before going on stage.
"The Searcher" would have to be the best American documentary for 2018 - a must watch

--------------
ColonialstoneNZ
--------------

Posted by: saltoftheearth ()
Date: January 14, 2019 10:15

Happy Jack
Happy24
buttons67

according to most polls.

Elvis, like Sinatra, may not have written his own songs but their instrument was their voice. Both honed it to perfection and used it like Hendrix, Page or Richards used a guitar.

My original impetus for starting this thread was I have been listening and watching the recent 50th box set of Elvis' 68 Comeback special and realized the (missed) potential there. If Elvis had continued in that vein, stripped down and raw for a few years rather than coming out with a large backing band I believe he could have been an even better live performer. His 69-72 performances would good (and possibly the Hawaii 73 performance) but after that there was a marked decline in his performance, possibly due to increased drug intake and overwork (the guy was touring constantly).
As for the Stones meeting him, it seemed only natural that they would want to meet him, even if he might have been less than what they would have expected.

What's the deal about writing your own Songs? Some People can, for others it's better to sing other people's Songs instead of performing weak material. And there are even cover Versions that are better than the original artist's version. In the end it's the interpretation that counts.

Happy Jack, you are probably right. Elvis may have got tired about the same band and the same arrangements over so many years. I could never understand why he did not strip down or make records with different bands, Arrangements, etc. Perhaps it was Colonel Parker who did not allow his cash cow to change anything.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: January 14, 2019 13:30

stickyfingers101
keithglimmer
Elvis really disliked the Stones especially Mick. He thought he was gay and that the Stones were promoting illegal drug use (two big no-one in Ep's book).

Wait a minute...promoting drugs was a no-no...or taking drugs?

Elvis was a pill-popping junkie for most of his career. Isn't that what killed him?
Elvis didn't consider himself a junkie because he was being treated by his Doctor and was talking medication prescribed to him , unlike the Beatles and the Stones who were smoking dope and consuming other harder drugs .

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1940
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home