Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234
Current Page: 4 of 4
Re: What's your stones confession?
Posted by: OpenG ()
Date: December 23, 2018 20:31

Keith wrote the best opening intro of any song on Gimme Shelter all he did was think of Under My thumb and he came up with those seductive splash of notes - white voodo magic.

Posted by: spiderman ()
Date: December 24, 2018 04:37

Jade ….so cool and sexy.....imagine growing up like that, mom and dad, and retaining such reality

Posted by: Elmo ()
Date: December 24, 2018 09:56

Spud
I left Roundhay Park in '82 10 mins before the end because I had to catch the last train home .

How pathetic is that for a man with a long history of sleeping on provincial station platforms or on the pavement outside Kings Cross.

[ My excuse was that I didn't feel very well. Pathetic grinning smiley]

I saw Roundhay Park through to the end but vowed I would never see the band live again, and I haven't. I felt manipulated, stuck on a hillside in blazing heat, little new stuff played just same old warhorses.....

I haven't bought an album since Steel Wheels. Got B&L as a gift, played it through once.

My confession - I don't think I love the band any more. I love the band who were so innovative with Not Fade Away back then and that's the era I still love. Overpriced gigs, warhorses....nah!

Posted by: marianna ()
Date: December 24, 2018 10:16

Room1009
I still haven't opened the front cover of Life, not even flicked through the pictures. Am I missing anything?

That might be a good thing. It's not a flattering look inside the life of Keith. He threw Ronnie Woods' parakeet in the trash at one point and thinks that story is hilarious (the bird belonged to one of the kids). There is also another story about Keith chasing someone with a sword because he can't find his scallions. What a character.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: December 24, 2018 11:35

Elmo
Spud
I left Roundhay Park in '82 10 mins before the end because I had to catch the last train home .

How pathetic is that for a man with a long history of sleeping on provincial station platforms or on the pavement outside Kings Cross.

I saw Roundhay Park through to the end but vowed I would never see the band live again, and I haven't. I felt manipulated, stuck on a hillside in blazing heat, ....quote]

Yep . That's why I didn't feel very well I think. Dehydrated and suffering with a bit of heat stroke . "Stuck on a hillside in the blazing heat" was about right.

A bit like Knebworth.... but hotter !

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: December 24, 2018 11:54

SomeGuy
I actually think Dirty Work has a good cover, simple but symbolic (Mick hanging onto the band with one limb only, so to speak), the 80s colours of their clothes obviously 'staged' (no one really believes that that was what they would be wearing at the time right?).

Opposite opinion : they made a huge mistake hiring Annie Leibovitz for the cover as - by the mid-80's - the lady had already embarked onto a journey toward artistic mediocrity. If you look at the pix she made for RS at that time you can't help wonder "wtf is this sh!t?". Like the Blues Bros painted... blue (yeah no kidding) or the pic of Whoopi Goldberg in a bath of milk (dark skin, white milk... get the idea?) confused smiley

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: December 24, 2018 12:26

Spud
Elmo
Spud

I saw Roundhay Park through to the end but vowed I would never see the band live again, and I haven't. I felt manipulated, stuck on a hillside in blazing heat, ....quote]

Yep . That's why I didn't feel very well I think. Dehydrated and suffering with a bit of heat stroke . "Stuck on a hillside in the blazing heat" was about right.

Hey guys, I can't believe what I am reading !!!
At the age of almost 68 I spent about 13 hours waiting in the hot Cuban sun (no trees or any shelter whatsoever), meaning 33 - 34 degrees Celsius, and even during the concert it was still 30+ for quite a while. All one needs is some boiled eggs, an odd ice cream, nice conversations with other fans and ..... plenty of water and the excitement of going to share yet another Rolling Stones concert with the band and fans alike. A most enjoyable way to "suffer" smileys with beer

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: December 24, 2018 12:33

Ill prepared I'm afraid. Didn't have a drink all day . Was Stupid.eye rolling smiley

Posted by: Father Ted ()
Date: December 24, 2018 12:54

Elmo
Spud

I saw Roundhay Park through to the end but vowed I would never see the band live again, and I haven't. I felt manipulated, stuck on a hillside in blazing heat, little new stuff played just same old warhorses.....

I haven't bought an album since Steel Wheels. Got B&L as a gift, played it through once.

My confession - I don't think I love the band any more. I love the band who were so innovative with Not Fade Away back then and that's the era I still love. Overpriced gigs, warhorses....nah!

When you compare how they played and sounded in their prime, they don't even sound like the same band.

Date: December 24, 2018 13:20

Spud
Ill prepared I'm afraid. Didn't have a drink all day . Was Stupid.eye rolling smiley

It happens to all of us at some point cool smiley
But ..... it can never be an excuse to not go and see the Rolling Stones ever again!
2019 is your chance to make up for it winking smiley

Posted by: blivet ()
Date: December 24, 2018 18:29

dcba
SomeGuy
I actually think Dirty Work has a good cover, simple but symbolic (Mick hanging onto the band with one limb only, so to speak), the 80s colours of their clothes obviously 'staged' (no one really believes that that was what they would be wearing at the time right?).

Opposite opinion : they made a huge mistake hiring Annie Leibovitz for the cover as - by the mid-80's - the lady had already embarked onto a journey toward artistic mediocrity. If you look at the pix she made for RS at that time you can't help wonder "wtf is this sh!t?". Like the Blues Bros painted... blue (yeah no kidding) or the pic of Whoopi Goldberg in a bath of milk (dark skin, white milk... get the idea?) confused smiley

Agreed. She is a wonderful photojournalist, but as a studio photographer her output is almost uniformly uninteresting.

Posted by: Elmo ()
Date: December 25, 2018 00:10

georgie48
Spud
Elmo
Spud

Hey guys, I can't believe what I am reading !!!
At the age of almost 68 I spent about 13 hours waiting in the hot Cuban sun (no trees or any shelter whatsoever), meaning 33 - 34 degrees Celsius, and even during the concert it was still 30+ for quite a while. All one needs is some boiled eggs, an odd ice cream, nice conversations with other fans and ..... plenty of water and the excitement of going to share yet another Rolling Stones concert with the band and fans alike. A most enjoyable way to "suffer" smileys with beer

In Cuba you might expect temperatures like that. In UK we get those figures once in a blue moon. We went wearing winter clothes, well ‘sensible ‘ stuff anyway.

Nah, no more outdoor gigs for me. I’m going to see Ben Elton in a 200 seater warm up gig before his tour next year. Something similar might tempt me to see the band again but how likely is that?

Posted by: coffeepotman ()
Date: December 25, 2018 02:04

I rarely, if ever listen to BB or LIB. I find them boring, now let the crucification begin

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: December 26, 2018 07:49

A stoning would be more appropriate. Oocha!

grinning smiley

I've over listened to Beggars Banquet, it used to give me such a buzz. Fell out of love with Let It Bleed years ago. Don't even own a copy now.

eye popping smiley

Posted by: marianna ()
Date: December 26, 2018 09:24

"Monkey Man." That makes "Let It Bleed" the album it is. I think YCAGWYW is partly ruined by the choir, though.

Posted by: RisingStone ()
Date: December 26, 2018 12:55

marianna
I think YCAGWYW is partly ruined by the choir, though.

This.

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: December 26, 2018 13:37

RisingStone
marianna

This.

Back in time, I for one thought the song was further enriched by the choir, having had the B-side of the single "Honky, Tonk Women" in advance.

Date: December 26, 2018 15:04

Witness
RisingStone
marianna

This.

Back in time, I for one thought the song was further enriched by the choir, having had the B-side of the single "Honky, Tonk Women" in advance.

I agree. On the version on the original HTW single you can hear Mick's occasional passionate singing and screaming at the background, giving a better feel than the album version.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: January 8, 2019 13:37

marianna
"Monkey Man." That makes "Let It Bleed" the album it is.

Yeah, great track, but the lyrics are shiite.

9 tracks, a couple already released (in differing forms), the lack of a consistent distinctive third man (Jones or Taylor), Mick forcing his voice to be cool too much, the comedy danger, and filler like LIB the song makes LIB the album a bit of a bore for me for quite some time.

I am quite amazed some think it is their best.

eye popping smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-01-08 13:42 by His Majesty.

Date: January 8, 2019 14:00

His Majesty
marianna
"Monkey Man." That makes "Let It Bleed" the album it is.

Yeah, great track, but the lyrics are shiite.

9 tracks, a couple already released (in differing forms), the lack of a consistent distinctive third man (Jones or Taylor), Mick forcing his voice to be cool too much, the comedy danger, and filler like LIB the song makes LIB the album a bit of a bore for me for quite some time.

I am quite amazed some think it is their best.

eye popping smiley

I guess that would definitely be a confession of mine too. While I like the song LIB, I am not crazy about the album. All the songs are great, many are warhorses - I just seem to prefer live versions to most of them. Of the Big 5 it is my least fave.

Goto Page: Previous1234
Current Page: 4 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1772
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home