Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 3 of 8
Re: Keith on cutting back on drinking: "I got fed up with it."
Posted by: partnerincrime ()
Date: December 14, 2018 10:48

paddy
there's a picture, guess taken by bv, clearly showing keith with a spliff. ckeck it out!
ciao
m.

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: December 14, 2018 12:00

masseywinos
Enough anti-drinking sentiments!! I for one enjoy a cold beer or ten, occasional wine, the odd scotch, a shot of bourbon and a nice stiff vodka soda. Although I have started to eat better and exercise more there is no way I am going to deny myself. I feel sorry for people that don't drink. When they wake up in the morning that's the best they'll feel all day. Only gets better for us drinkers.

Oh yeah, I agree I felt great drinking. I was always looking forward to it. On Thursdays I would think: tomorrow is Friday, I can drink loads again! Pity though that next day I wouldn't remember most of it and would have to ask my wife whether I did or said something ridiculous. Luckily, I never got nasty, violent or annoying, but still: not remembering any of the "fun" was taking away some of the "fun".

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: December 14, 2018 12:01

Good on ya Keith … showin' some will power …..

ROCKMAN

Date: December 14, 2018 12:51

Rocky Dijon
Palace Revolution 2000
Clean 16 years here. I went kicking & screaming though; had to become a guest in the system for some time,to get it beaten into me. Once it 'took' though...

Re Keith, I have always felt that Keith was never a real addict, or alcoholic.

Congratulations to you and maxtil.

As for Keith, I just viewed him as a highly functioning addict/alcoholic. My Dad would get drunk every night, spend a few months in the hospital and not drink or smoke with no problems at all, come out and pick up where he left off. Still an addict, just one who was able to function despite abusing his body. Everybody's different.
Sorry to hear about thAt Rocky.
Re Keith, reason I think this about him, is that there never was any desperation and pure blind necessity to his drinking and doping. No addict would ever be able to quit like he did, and eventually keel over from it. Keith IMO did it exactly thew way every alkie and addict wishes he could do it: doing it a lot, and having a blast doing it. And then one day say "Ok, I'm done". Forget about the physical symptoms for a moment, that can not be avoided.
Just my opinion.
But in no way do I feel that no one should get high. I am all for it - if it suits you, by all means: go nuts.

Posted by: peoplewitheyes ()
Date: December 14, 2018 12:51

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: December 14, 2018 12:54

He got ”fed up” with heroin in for the 1981 tour because Jagger wouldnt tour unless he quit (not the only reason but possibly the main) and neither would the sponsors. Add inscurance to that. He was clearly out of it in 2017 and im glad he stopped drinking (and doing blow - i think the palm tree accident was a seizure ) but Im convinced the main reason is the tour. I like this sober and semi clean Keith.

Posted by: peoplewitheyes ()
Date: December 14, 2018 13:32

The Guardian article also has some witty remarks in the comments section, the best being:

''Yes, I used to love it but it's all sober now....''

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: December 14, 2018 15:08

.....uhm...more interesting was Ronnie Woods revelation about Keith being nasty when drunk....that was a view inside the inner sanctum....RW stepping out there....

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: December 14, 2018 15:58

Rip This
.....uhm...more interesting was Ronnie Woods revelation about Keith being nasty when drunk....that was a view inside the inner sanctum....RW stepping out there....
yup.

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: December 14, 2018 16:11

Rocky Dijon
masseywinos
Enough anti-drinking sentiments!! I for one enjoy a cold beer or ten, occasional wine, the odd scotch, a shot of bourbon and a nice stiff vodka soda. Although I have started to eat better and exercise more there is no way I am going to deny myself. I feel sorry for people that don't drink. When they wake up in the morning that's the best they'll feel all day. Only gets better for us drinkers.

No anti-drinking sentiments at all! Most people handle it just fine. Some people do things to extreme and it controls them instead of the reverse. If you have an addictive personality, you might need to rein in some of the addictions, that's all. As for waking up in the morning being the best you'll feel all day -- not me. I'm a Night Owl. I hate mornings. Mornings mean starting the work day. Worst part of 24 hours.
Yep, same here...total night owl, and I typically dread mornings with my typical 8-5 white-collar workday.

As far as drinking...I only have beer a few times a year, mostly at concerts and at gatherings with friends/family. I never had an issue with drinking but overindulged plenty in my 20s as most people do, and got tired of hangovers.

3-4 beers and a nice little buzz is plenty for me nowadays.

Posted by: OpenG ()
Date: December 14, 2018 17:42

I wish Keith gave up Cigarettes.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: December 14, 2018 18:16

The man is 75, it hardly matters what he gives up now. The damage is done anyway. If he survived 55 years of drug habits he would probably have survived 15 years more.

Posted by: OpenG ()
Date: December 14, 2018 19:08

Yes - Keith is the only member left that smokes and he should respect the fact that Charlie had throat cancer and he should not smoke around Charlie or on stage.. Who wants to breathe 2nd hand smoke.

Posted by: Wry Cooter ()
Date: December 14, 2018 19:33

masseywinos

I'm not seeing much in the way of "anti-drinking" posts. I see a number of people saying they stopped drinking and I'm guessing for good reason. Include me in that group for 30 years now -- for good reason. It was my decision based on what is best for me. Of course I've also known alcoholics who drank themselves to death and dragged the world down with them and I didn't care for it.

In a nutshell, there are those of us who cannot drink safely -- not necessarily the same as a hard drinker or partier. That alcohol -- and cigarettes -- are among the most toxic of drugs (especially in excess) isn't some moral high ground rant but a fact. Whether one wants to embrace that or not is a personal decision. The same as whether to eat healthy and exercise or not for instance. What I also consider a fact is that alcohol does not affect all of us the same way. Therefore it is a personal, case by case decision. If you enjoy your drinking that is your right -- if you do it without destructive consequences then more power to you. Where Keith falls with this I have no idea and is none of my business.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: December 14, 2018 19:41

Wry Cooter
masseywinos

I'm not seeing much in the way of "anti-drinking" posts. I see a number of people saying they stopped drinking and I'm guessing for good reason. Include me in that group for 30 years now -- for good reason. It was my decision based on what is best for me. Of course I've also known alcoholics who drank themselves to death and dragged the world down with them and I didn't care for it.

In a nutshell, there are those of us who cannot drink safely -- not necessarily the same as a hard drinker or partier. That alcohol -- and cigarettes -- are among the most toxic of drugs (especially in excess) isn't some moral high ground rant but a fact. Whether one wants to embrace that or not is a personal decision. The same as whether to eat healthy and exercise or not for instance. What I also consider a fact is that alcohol does not affect all of us the same way. Therefore it is a personal, case by case decision. If you enjoy your drinking that is your right -- if you do it without destructive consequences then more power to you. Where Keith falls with this I have no idea and is none of my business.

Well put.
I don't begrudge people that can drink, hell- if I wasn't an alcoholic I'd drink all the time cool smiley

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: December 14, 2018 20:37

Will someone be drinking Rebel Yell or Jack Daniels behind the curtain for him?

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: December 14, 2018 20:47

Elmo Lewis
Will someone be drinking Rebel Yell or Jack Daniels behind the curtain for him?
Liver-syncing??

Posted by: clapton71 ()
Date: December 14, 2018 21:12

I think he is more of a vodka/oj kind of guy. Also, is he giving up the nose candy? I look forward to hearing him sober and focused on the music.

Posted by: Rokyfan ()
Date: December 14, 2018 21:16

Giving up drinking is easy.
I do it 3 or 4 times every week.

Posted by: triceratops ()
Date: December 14, 2018 21:24

Keith at 75...... At this age you have lost your appetite for destruction. You have no drive left in you to pursue it. But I bet Keith is still choking down the Marlboros.
But they say Ronnie was the real Keith as far as substance abuse of all kinds. He was quoted few years back as having been stoned one way or another every time on stage in the last 40 years.
These tough old birds have iron constitutions. The younger generations cannot handle such drug induced dissonance.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-12-14 21:25 by triceratops.

Posted by: triceratops ()
Date: December 14, 2018 21:28

And Keith is a mere youngster compared to Kris Kristofferson who is out on tour at age 82. And this is after being dragged down by Lyme disease for 14 years. Interesting details are on the internet. He was mis-diagnosed for years.

Posted by: Paddy ()
Date: December 14, 2018 21:57

MisterDDDD
Wry Cooter
masseywinos

Well put.
I don't begrudge people that can drink, hell- if I wasn't an alcoholic I'd drink all the time cool smiley

Same. All my family, friends etc still drink and more power to them. My Partner drinks, so long as theres no aggro I dont care what people do. I just know what i cant do. grinning smiley

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: December 15, 2018 00:22

Maybe Keith will get fed up with War Horses such as YCAGWYW, SFD and MY in set lists. That would be a great habit to kick as well spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: December 15, 2018 07:05

Redhotcarpet
He got ”fed up” with heroin in for the 1981 tour because Jagger wouldnt tour unless he quit (not the only reason but possibly the main) and neither would the sponsors. Add inscurance to that. He was clearly out of it in 2017 and im glad he stopped drinking (and doing blow - i think the palm tree accident was a seizure ) but Im convinced the main reason is the tour. I like this sober and semi clean Keith.

The palm tree incident.

There was no palm tree involved, as everyone knows.

Falling off of a tree branch and hitting your head on its root? BONK.

Keith Richards (September 2006): The fall

Everyone imagines it was a fifty-foot-tall palm tree (laughs). It's embarrassing, really: I was sitting on this gnarled shrub about six feet off the ground. I was wet - I'd been swimming. I hit the ground the wrong way, my head hit the trunk and that was that... It's not the first brush with death I've had. I guess what I learned is, don't sit in trees anymore.

[www.timeisonourside.com]

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: December 15, 2018 09:59

Rip This

The cluelessness of the majority of Rolling Stones fans never ceases to amaze me.
You watched Keith get drunk,chain smoke cigarettes and vent every bit of his frustration,air out every piece of dirty laundry and attack his writing partners music,his manhood,his lifestyle and everything about him for 30 years but no one realized he was an angry drunk?
To anyone who has ever been around an addict or three this was textbook- the lashing out at close friends, the denial.
It was sad to watch -“Mick has rhino skin,we’re brothers,brothers fight.”- no bro,the guy can’t fvckng stand you.fans can search YouTube and see Jaggers cutting responses-“I have my own brother who I’m very close to” “Keith only attacks me in the media when he’s drunk”
To all the Keithettes who think Mr Badass was putting Peter Pan in his place,hope you enjoyed the 4 Stones albums you got in 30 years.big win there,right?

Posted by: keithsman ()
Date: December 15, 2018 12:05

lem motlow
Rip This

The cluelessness of the majority of Rolling Stones fans never ceases to amaze me.
You watched Keith get drunk,chain smoke cigarettes and vent every bit of his frustration,air out every piece of dirty laundry and attack his writing partners music,his manhood,his lifestyle and everything about him for 30 years but no one realized he was an angry drunk?
To anyone who has ever been around an addict or three this was textbook- the lashing out at close friends, the denial.
It was sad to watch -“Mick has rhino skin,we’re brothers,brothers fight.”- no bro,the guy can’t fvckng stand you.fans can search YouTube and see Jaggers cutting responses-“I have my own brother who I’m very close to” “Keith only attacks me in the media when he’s drunk”
To all the Keithettes who think Mr Badass was putting Peter Pan in his place,hope you enjoyed the 4 Stones albums you got in 30 years.big win there,right?

Was this posted by a clueless angry frustrated drunk, or just a clueless angry frustrated man.eye rolling smiley

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2018-12-15 12:20 by keithsman.

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: December 15, 2018 12:44

A bit odd that now (apparantly) Keith has reduced his alcohol intake there is far more discussion about his drinking habit than ever before.
It seemed to rarely get discussed...unlike his heroin habit which (largely) ceased over 40 years ago.

Date: December 15, 2018 14:30

keithsman
lem motlow
Rip This

Was this posted by a clueless angry frustrated drunk, or just a clueless angry frustrated man.eye rolling smiley

Personally I like Lem's post a lot. I happen to agree with it. Even though I didn't see RW's quote that way.I always got the feeling that Keith was kind of a bully towards Ron; body language, the way he interrupted him in interviews; and then musically. In the 90's tours, everytime Ron had a spot you could hear (and see) Keith turning up, hoggin the camera etc. But Ron didn't seem to mind. Once you quit drinking though, your perspective changes. I don't know how many parties I have said 'no' to, because being around drunk people becomes a complete waste of time. They start looking foolish, and you start feeling like a complete tool.
What I do not understand about Stonesfans in '18, is this whole "I wish Keith would stop this; stop that". The reason we are all here is because of a spirit of "I don't give a @#$%&" that the Stones and Keith lived by. To me it would negate so much of all that mattered to me about the Stones, if they ever bowed to PC crap. In no way am I subscribing to the childish notion that Keith needs to fly that pirate flag and shoot Heroin forever - I only think whatever changes he makes should be on his terms.

Posted by: keithsman ()
Date: December 15, 2018 15:54

Palace Revolution 2000

What I do not understand about Stonesfans in '18, is this whole "I wish Keith would stop this; stop that". The reason we are all here is because of a spirit of "I don't give a @#$%&" that the Stones and Keith lived by. To me it would negate so much of all that mattered to me about the Stones, if they ever bowed to PC crap. In no way am I subscribing to the childish notion that Keith needs to fly that pirate flag and shoot Heroin forever - I only think whatever changes he makes should be on his terms.[/quote]

keithsman

Yeah this is my confusion too, Keith is (was) like the real deal, a one off, a gypsy, a pirate, he's lived like that and he's played like that all his life, he don't give a @#$%& for the cry babies kill joys or the PC movement, he's true to himself, and even if he isn't anymore, he is trying to keep that image going and people on here want to turn him into Marry Poppins.
Keith is what he is warts and all, what he is makes the Rolling Stones, Mick as well with his refusal to grow and act his age, i love how inappropriate they are, i love them for it, if they were normal people they wouldn't be playing stadiums at 75 years of age.
I mean the guy has stopped drinking because he's basically too old to carry it now, he had a good ride, why should he apologize for it, at least he is saying he pretty much can't do it anymore, personally i don't give a toss if he talks over Ronnie in an interview because like me he figured out Ronnie is full of BS anyway.

Keith once said of himself and Mick when asked where their song writing genius comes from, he said, " you can't open us up to see what makes us tick, so you just have to accept it "

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: December 15, 2018 16:17

keithsman

Don't know a thing about lem outside of this place. Don't even know if he's an inverted Mel or Lemuel. Does he often sound frustrated and sometimes even angry? Yes, he often does. Is he clueless? No, he's usually painfully honest. I don't agree with everything he's ever said, but largely he's our perfect tough love regular who tells it like it is even when we don't want to hear it.

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 3 of 8

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1863
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home