Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 2 of 8
Re: Keith on cutting back on drinking: "I got fed up with it."
Posted by: RoughJusticeOnYa ()
Date: December 13, 2018 12:34

SKILLS
#metoo for 2 months now, pretty large adjustment after 700ml of whiskey per day for a few years, my family have embraced the change, parents & siblings very proud of their 40 something son/brother.

Cheers Keith, with you all the way

...Solid, mate!
Tippin’ my hat to ya.

Posted by: chrism13 ()
Date: December 13, 2018 15:36

I can relate...

Posted by: partnerincrime ()
Date: December 13, 2018 15:52

keith didn't quit smoking weed. Paris 2 last year, he stood backstage while the others started playing Miss You and then he appeared before the middle eight smoking a great spliff!
ciao
m.

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: December 13, 2018 16:21

partnerincrime
keith didn't quit smoking weed. Paris 2 last year, he stood backstage while the others started playing Miss You and then he appeared before the middle eight smoking a great spliff!
ciao
m.
And not a damn thing wrong with that.

I'd rather he smoke weed than drink or smoke cigs.

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: December 13, 2018 16:22

partnerincrime
ciao
m.

Medical perhaps. Better than an opioid. God bless Keith Richards.
That Paris 2 show you’re referring
my first time Europe, and being on ‘Keith’s side’
the earth moved a few times beneath my feet as I gazed up at Keith/ France/ Exile ———

Posted by: partnerincrime ()
Date: December 13, 2018 16:45

nothing wrong with weed. I guess He quit drinking for medical problems as well as he did with cocaine.
ciao
m.

Date: December 13, 2018 18:17

Clean 16 years here. I went kicking & screaming though; had to become a guest in the system for some time,to get it beaten into me. Once it 'took' though...

Re Keith, I have always felt that Keith was never a real addict, or alcoholic.

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: December 13, 2018 18:19

I wonder if there will ever be Keith/Ronnie interviews where the issue of drink/drugs doesn't come up.
I mean, talk about YAWN.

Presumably, there are agreed 'off limit subjects', e.g. like recent studio sessions, the new record, writing songs with Mick, working together in the studio (in detail).
So why not say NO to drugs talk?
Why not talk about guitar tuning, picks, song construction, minor chords.
Much more interesting.

Date: December 13, 2018 18:25

jlowe
I wonder if there will ever be Keith/Ronnie interviews where the issue of drink/drugs doesn't come up.
I mean, talk about YAWN.

Presumably, there are agreed 'off limit subjects', e.g. like recent studio sessions, the new record, writing songs with Mick, working together in the studio (in detail).
So why not say NO to drugs talk?
Why not talk about guitar tuning, picks, song construction, minor chords.
Much more interesting.
I somewhat agree there. Like, when was the last time someone sat down with Keith and asked him about some of the strange, amazing, and his least favorite guitars and amps that he's used over the years? But also, I love to hear about Keith no matter what. He seems comfortable talking about it so why not? Better than him turning down every single interview that's offered to him.

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: December 13, 2018 18:47

‘Keef’ gets promo
like Jagger gets promo on his love life
Story picked up Daily Mail
[www.dailymail.co.uk]
Keith takes a good picture on couches cool smiley

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: December 13, 2018 19:12

barbabang
Hairball : You say most complaints about ABB are that it is too long.
How do you know that? Or is this your opinion?

In my opinion it is a weak album because of the quality of the songs and another reason why I don't play this cd notvery often is the bad sound quality in this recording.

Seems to be the general consensus based on reading discussions, and I didn't say it was the only complaint regarding it.
Add in your reasons - weakness of songs and sound - and that pretty much sums it up. Too long, weak songs, bad sound quality...

I could narrow down my favorites from it to a very small handful of tunes, but I wouldn't even say those tunes are especially great.

Rain Fall Down - a bit of funkiness, and my wife really liked it live.
Back of My Hand - faux blues, but was nice to see them play it live.
Laugh, I Nearly Died - erm...not bad.

Some of the demos leaked from the Licks sessions were much better, and a shame they ended up lost in the shuffle.

Posted by: barbabang ()
Date: December 13, 2018 19:48

Hairball
barbabang
Hairball : You say most complaints about ABB are that it is too long.
How do you know that? Or is this your opinion?

In my opinion it is a weak album because of the quality of the songs and another reason why I don't play this cd notvery often is the bad sound quality in this recording.

Seems to be the general consensus based on reading discussions, and I didn't say it was the only complaint regarding it.
Add in your reasons - weakness of songs and sound - and that pretty much sums it up. Too long, weak songs, bad sound quality...

I could narrow down my favorites from it to a very small handful of tunes, but I wouldn't even say those tunes are especially great.

Rain Fall Down - a bit of funkiness, and my wife really liked it live.
Back of My Hand - faux blues, but was nice to see them play it live.
Laugh, I Nearly Died - erm...not bad.

Some of the demos leaked from the Licks sessions were much better, and a shame they ended up lost in the shuffle.

I would probably pick the same three songs as my favorites, Hairball smiling smiley

Posted by: Paddy ()
Date: December 13, 2018 20:20

partnerincrime
ciao
m.

Is there any clips of this?

Posted by: Gaetzi ()
Date: December 13, 2018 20:47

The man has an unbelievable will and constitution. The fact he's alive is a testament to that but there aren't many people out there that just 'decide' it's time to give up booze or hard drugs.

Posted by: nick ()
Date: December 13, 2018 21:00

It could simply be some of his internal organs "got fed up with it". They put in a career that eclipses the Stones themselves.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: December 13, 2018 22:31

Palace Revolution 2000
Clean 16 years here. I went kicking & screaming though; had to become a guest in the system for some time,to get it beaten into me. Once it 'took' though...

Congratulations to you and maxtil.

As for Keith, I just viewed him as a highly functioning addict/alcoholic. My Dad would get drunk every night, spend a few months in the hospital and not drink or smoke with no problems at all, come out and pick up where he left off. Still an addict, just one who was able to function despite abusing his body. Everybody's different.

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: December 13, 2018 23:57

In 1995 in Rotterdam Keith was standing not more than 3 meters in front of me doing his "Honky Tonk Women" solo. I was in total shock (sorry Keith). "The other day" in Twickenham (on the catwalk, roughly same distance) he looked at least 10 years younger! What are you drinking these days, Keith?
smileys with beer

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: December 14, 2018 00:34

partnerincrime
ciao
m.

What a bunch of bull. he was on stage the whole time. Before the middle 8 hes on the side of Charlie drinks something and lights a cigarette. you can see it clearly in this vid. geeez

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: December 14, 2018 01:14

As I said, good for him. But this has no impact whatsoever on the vitality of The Rolling Stones. It's too late for that. He's turning 75 in a couple of days.

Posted by: masseywinos ()
Date: December 14, 2018 01:39

Enough anti-drinking sentiments!! I for one enjoy a cold beer or ten, occasional wine, the odd scotch, a shot of bourbon and a nice stiff vodka soda. Although I have started to eat better and exercise more there is no way I am going to deny myself. I feel sorry for people that don't drink. When they wake up in the morning that's the best they'll feel all day. Only gets better for us drinkers.

Posted by: keithsman ()
Date: December 14, 2018 01:59

Rocky Dijon
Palace Revolution 2000

Congratulations to you and maxtil.

As for Keith, I just viewed him as a highly functioning addict/alcoholic. My Dad would get drunk every night, spend a few months in the hospital and not drink or smoke with no problems at all, come out and pick up where he left off. Still an addict, just one who was able to function despite abusing his body. Everybody's different.

Sorry to hear that Rocky, so true though, we are all different, iv'e drank enough to destroy a couple of average livers over the years, but seem to have got away with it and have decided to stop before it catches up with me. I don't look back now and know i will never drink again, but man i had a good run with it, no regrets. Life is a little dull now without the weekend session to look forward to but it's nice waking up without needing pain killers for my hang over.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-12-14 02:02 by keithsman.

Posted by: Paddy ()
Date: December 14, 2018 02:08

masseywinos
Enough anti-drinking sentiments!! I for one enjoy a cold beer or ten, occasional wine, the odd scotch, a shot of bourbon and a nice stiff vodka soda. Although I have started to eat better and exercise more there is no way I am going to deny myself. I feel sorry for people that don't drink. When they wake up in the morning that's the best they'll feel all day. Only gets better for us drinkers.

I'll take waking up minus the shakes and trying to scrounge together money every morning for another drink. My days are happier now minus the lush than they ever were while I was at it. No Rehab, No prison, no courts, no law problems.

I'll take these days over the troubled ones that followed me every day I drank.

BUT. If you can drink a few and leave it. GO FOR IT! grinning smiley

Date: December 14, 2018 02:13

partnerincrime
nothing wrong with weed. I guess He quit drinking for medical problems as well as he did with cocaine.
ciao
m.

Do you know he gave up for medical reasons ?

I should imagine the medics have been telling Keith to stop drinking for 40 years, but i find that drinkers only stop when they themselves want to.
At 75 he knows he is too old to keep on drinking and continue to tour, plus he has a lot to live for, must be nice being Keith Richards.smoking smiley

Posted by: blivet ()
Date: December 14, 2018 02:24

Rocky Dijon
As for Keith, I just viewed him as a highly functioning addict/alcoholic.

Absolutely, and it's worth noting that he was a rich man before his alcohol and drug intake escalated. It's a lot easier to be "highly functioning" if you don't have immediate money worries, and if the people around you let you regularly pull stunts like showing up hours late for work, if at all.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: December 14, 2018 02:25

mjmjr
GasLightStreet
Play With Fire... was the LICKS tour over 30 years ago or is it site/city specific?

Prior to Hamburg....I believe Play With Fire hadn't been played since December of 1989

I'd much rather hear that than Wild Horses or Angie

I have it on a boot. It sounds pretty good. I looked up that show but it's not listed. Whatever, it's from some show.

Date: December 14, 2018 02:40

blivet
Rocky Dijon
As for Keith, I just viewed him as a highly functioning addict/alcoholic.

Absolutely, and it's worth noting that he was a rich man before his alcohol and drug intake escalated. It's a lot easier to be "highly functioning" if you don't have immediate money worries, and if the people around you let you regularly pull stunts like showing up hours late for work, if at all.

I always thought Keith was a functioning performer while drinking , and he pulled it off remarkably well while he had coke to straighten him and sharpen him, but when he could no longer use coke to enhance his performance while drinking he got too sloppy as a player.
Ronnie never pulled it off like Keith through his drinking years when performing, it really held him back, since Ronnie got sober he has really come into his own, although i'm convinced he takes something, probably legal prescription drugs that are the in thing these days but what do i know.

Posted by: ThePaleRider ()
Date: December 14, 2018 03:50

Lol...Keith showed the blade to Donald Trump!

Rolling Stones' Keith Richards (almost) gives up booze

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: December 14, 2018 04:41

ThePaleRider
Lol...Keith showed the blade to Donald Trump!

Rolling Stones' Keith Richards (almost) gives up booze
Sounds like more Keith self-mythologizing, but I'd sure as hell like it to be true.

Would have been even better if he'd stabbed the bloated little prick's stubby hand into the table a'la Luca Brasi.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: December 14, 2018 05:06

masseywinos

No anti-drinking sentiments at all! Most people handle it just fine. Some people do things to extreme and it controls them instead of the reverse. If you have an addictive personality, you might need to rein in some of the addictions, that's all. As for waking up in the morning being the best you'll feel all day -- not me. I'm a Night Owl. I hate mornings. Mornings mean starting the work day. Worst part of 24 hours.

Posted by: Wry Cooter ()
Date: December 14, 2018 05:47

Talk is cheap....

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 2 of 8

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1759
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home