Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12345678Next
Current Page: 1 of 8
Keith on cutting back on drinking: "I got fed up with it."
Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: December 12, 2018 19:49

For Richards, this tour will be different for a more personal reason: He has stopped drinking, for the most part. “It’s been about a year now,” Richards says quietly. “I pulled the plug on it. I got fed up with it.” While he admits he still has “a glass of wine occasionally, and a beer,” it’s a major step for a guy whose hedonism is a key part of his legend. “It was time to quit,” Richards says. “Just like all the other stuff.” Was it an adjustment? “You can call it that, yeah,” he says with a laugh. “But I don’t notice any difference really – except for I don’t drink. I wasn’t feeling right. I’ve done it. I didn’t want that anymore.”

[www.rollingstone.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-12-12 19:50 by keefriff99.

Re: Keith on cutting back on drinking: "I got fed up with it."
Posted by: 35love ()
Date: December 12, 2018 19:59

I can never paraphrase or quote Keith quite correctly,
but in an interview maybe 5 years ago, asked politely about ‘vices’
Keith said: “I’m down to precious few.”
I loved that/ could relate
Thank you for posting

Rolling Stones ‘Cry To Me’ Remastered 2002
[m.youtube.com]

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: December 12, 2018 20:09

Thanks for the article keefriff99.thumbs up

"For their first U.S. shows since Desert Trip in 2016..."

That's how I tend too see it also, but the writer forgot about the infamous/unmemorable *Vegas '16 show...

...(Ronnie's) hoping the band breaks out “Beast of Burden” and “Play With Fire,” which they recently performed in Hamburg, Germany for the first time in nearly 30 years
(“Mick didn’t realize what a great song it was,” Wood says.)

Yes, a shame they only played Play With Fire once and immediately dropped it from the setlist.

Ronnie: “Mick decided to keep it to one [blues number] on the last tour, [maybe because] of his waning confidence in people thinking,
‘Maybe they don’t want to hear too much off of that blues album.’ I disagree there. I think, ‘Come on! Let’s do more! Let’s do a whole blues set!’ That’s what I’d like to do one day.”

Ronnie should be in charge of the setlists!

Wood also hopes the band will play one of their famous club warm-up shows ahead of the run:
“If rehearsal’s going well, we may make a last minute decision. That’s normally how they come up; we never plan these things.”

Nice, that would be very special considering they didn't do that on the first two legs of No Filter.

“Maybe this will be the last one,” Richards admits, although he hopes it isn’t. “It’s what I do, man. Give me 50,000 people and I feel right at home.
As Ronnie and I often say before we go on, ‘Let’s get onstage and get some peace and quiet.’?”

Keep on rolling Keith. thumbs up

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-12-12 20:09 by Hairball.

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: December 12, 2018 20:31

What about the cigarettes and the weed?

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: December 12, 2018 20:48

schillid
Cmon

Posted by: diverseharmonics ()
Date: December 12, 2018 20:50

Gave up the new LP as well it seems

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: December 12, 2018 21:07

diverseharmonics
Zing!

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: December 12, 2018 21:11

keefriff99
diverseharmonics
Zing!
Sheldon says Bazinga

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: December 12, 2018 22:42

I read the article through, I found it personal, and thanks again Keith Richards (and Ronnie) for sharing your life - xoxo

Posted by: SKILLS ()
Date: December 12, 2018 23:23

#metoo for 2 months now, pretty large adjustment after 700ml of whiskey per day for a few years, my family have embraced the change, parents & siblings very proud of their 40 something son/brother.

Cheers Keith, with you all the way

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: December 13, 2018 00:21

SKILLS
#metoo for 2 months now, pretty large adjustment after 700ml of whiskey per day for a few years, my family have embraced the change, parents & siblings very proud of their 40 something son/brother.

Good on ya' thumbs up
Going on 38 years for me cool smiley, guaranteed I wouldn't be around for any of this if not spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

I don't speculate much on their personal lives, but, like with Ronnie after he got sober, Keith seemed to me to be sharper and clearer, both musically and personally on the last leg of this tour.

Posted by: fredlynn19 ()
Date: December 13, 2018 00:30

clearer on last tour? he had nowhere to go but up. still love Keith.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: December 13, 2018 01:00

fredlynn19
clearer on last tour? he had nowhere to go but up. still love Keith.
Yeah, clearer.
Agree to disagree on the "nowhere to go but up" observation though.
Plenty of places, in my experience cool smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-12-13 01:04 by MisterDDDD.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: December 13, 2018 01:20

Good for him. I only wish they hadn't dried up in other departments also. But I guess you can't have it both ways.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: December 13, 2018 02:22

SKILLS

Good for you. Not an easy thing to admit, much less conquer.

Posted by: Paddy ()
Date: December 13, 2018 04:22

MisterDDDD
SKILLS

Good on ya' thumbs up
Going on 38 years for me cool smiley, guaranteed I wouldn't be around for any of this if not spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

I don't speculate much on their personal lives, but, like with Ronnie after he got sober, Keith seemed to me to be sharper and clearer, both musically and personally on the last leg of this tour.

I haven’t had a drink in over 12 years. Like Mr D said, I wouldn’t be around now hadn’t I stopped. Music is a great friend at a time like this. I’ll keep you in my thoughts Skills. One day at a time my friend.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: December 13, 2018 04:28

Play With Fire... was the LICKS tour over 30 years ago or is it site/city specific?

Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: December 13, 2018 04:57

Paddy
MisterDDDD
SKILLS

Good on ya' thumbs up

I haven’t had a drink in over 12 years. Like Mr D said, I wouldn’t be around now hadn’t I stopped. Music is a great friend at a time like this. I’ll keep you in my thoughts Skills. One day at a time my friend.

Good on ya, SKILLS...
14 years here.

Posted by: mjmjr ()
Date: December 13, 2018 05:02

GasLightStreet
Play With Fire... was the LICKS tour over 30 years ago or is it site/city specific?

Prior to Hamburg....I believe Play With Fire hadn't been played since December of 1989

I'd much rather hear that than Wild Horses or Angie

Posted by: Straycat13 ()
Date: December 13, 2018 05:51

Saying, “Maybe this will be the last one” is unusual for him.

Posted by: IanBillen ()
Date: December 13, 2018 06:41

diverseharmonics

In this same article it says they plan on carrying on in the studio with the new album. Woody says Mick & Keith want this album to be 'really good' .. so they decided to put more work into it. They recently went over 12 songs and felt the need to add to the pot or work on it more.

Jus sayin. It appears they (Mick & Keith) don't think it's quite strong enough just yet.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-12-13 06:42 by IanBillen.

Posted by: dmay ()
Date: December 13, 2018 06:59

Alcohol is a sneaky drug. I remember from the article I posted awhile ago, an interview of Derek Trucks after the death of Gregg Allman, Trucks noted that Allman told him alcohol was the worse to get hooked on and hardest to kick.

Re the comments on a new Stones album, sometimes when you're creating/making something, you can end up overthinking it, tinker with it too much, and lose the groove of it. Maybe, to use a title from one of their own songs, the Stones should just "Let It Loose".

Date: December 13, 2018 08:19

dmay
Alcohol is a sneaky drug. I remember from the article I posted awhile ago, an interview of Derek Trucks after the death of Gregg Allman, Trucks noted that Allman told him alcohol was the worse to get hooked on and hardest to kick.

Re the comments on a new Stones album, sometimes when you're creating/making something, you can end up overthinking it, tinker with it too much, and lose the groove of it. Maybe, to use a title from one of their own songs, the Stones should just "Let It Loose".

I was just talking with an artist friend earlier today regarding the quality of knowing when to stop when working on a piece of art.
Seems younger and less experienced artists have a tendency to sometimes keep pushing it to the point of no return, and by then they've lost the plot. I guess the same can be said for the use (or abuse) of alcohol and drugs.
Glad Keith (and Ronnie) have changed their ways as far as alcohol/drugs, now if the Stones could apply that same principal of knowing when to stop towards their recording process.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: December 13, 2018 08:24

Hairball
dmay

I was just talking with an artist friend earlier today regarding the quality of knowing when to stop when working on a piece of art.
Seems younger and less experienced artists have a tendency to sometimes keep pushing it to the point of no return, and by then they've lost the plot. I guess the same can be said for the use (or abuse) of alcohol and drugs.
Glad Keith (and Ronnie) have changed their ways as far as alcohol/drugs, now if the Stones could apply that same principal of knowing when to stop towards their recording process.

with ABB they needed to put a bit more time into it. maybe this will turn out to be a good thing...maybe even great?

Posted by: SKILLS ()
Date: December 13, 2018 08:57

Kurt
Paddy
MisterDDDD
SKILLS

Good on ya' thumbs up

Good on ya, SKILLS...
14 years here.

Thank you for all the encouragement IORR crew, it's much appreciated.

Date: December 13, 2018 09:27

treaclefingers
Hairball
dmay

with ABB they needed to put a bit more time into it. maybe this will turn out to be a good thing...maybe even great?

I don't know about that as most complaints about ABB are the fact there's too many songs.
Maybe if they put more time in the editing room after the fact, narrowing it down to 10 songs - or stopped when they were initially at 10 songs and put more time into those, then it might have helped.
As it is, there's too much filler due to overdoing it and not knowing when to stop. Ironically, there previous single was "Don't Stop"!

Posted by: barbabang ()
Date: December 13, 2018 11:42

Hairball : You say most complaints about ABB are that it is too long.
How do you know that? Or is this your opinion?

In my opinion it is a weak album because of the quality of the songs and another reason why I don't play this cd notvery often is the bad sound quality in this recording.

Posted by: dead.flowers ()
Date: December 13, 2018 11:50

schillid

As the moderator recently briefed us about the band:-

They hardly touch alcohol, and certainly not drugs.

Long live The Rolling Saints

Posted by: babyblue ()
Date: December 13, 2018 12:15

I am free of alcohol 7 years now due to health issues. I do have non alcoholic beer. Odd time I have a glass of wine or caesaer.I'm happy for Keith, I am also drug free, only smoke pot once in a blue moon. I feel good, I'm still hear seeing and listening to worlds greatest rock & roll band.

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: December 13, 2018 12:23

Kurt
Paddy
MisterDDDD
SKILLS

Good on ya' thumbs up

Good on ya, SKILLS...
14 years here.

Congratulations. It's been about a month for me now. It's good to know it's possible to keep it up for much longer.

Goto Page: 12345678Next
Current Page: 1 of 8

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1605
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home