Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Greatest books, articles about The Rolling Stones and The Beatles
Posted by: zgredzik ()
Date: December 11, 2018 12:07

Hi fellow IORRians! I have a problem and also question for you. I am writing bachelor's thesis about impact made by Beatles and Stones. About their phenomen, social and cultural impact and how they influenced new generation of musicians, new music, art, how their image, style influenced the way people look etc. I am looking for the best books, ebooks, articles, everything. I dont mean I want this things in material way from you, I need your recommendations. I want to prove that sixties made by Stones and Beatles really changed the world. Hope you will help me, I will be grateful. Thank you very much! zgredzik

Re: Greatest books, articles about The Rolling Stones and The Beatles
Posted by: dcba ()
Date: December 11, 2018 12:23

You need to read Tony Sachez book about the Stones. Sanchez, an ethnosociologist approaches the impact the band had on 1960's society. In the last chapter Sanchez switches gears and uses a Junguian/Freudian approach to explore Mick's influence on masculinity through the 70's and 80's, with a touch of French Theory.

In short : you really need this book for your bachelor's thesis!

Posted by: ChrisL ()
Date: December 11, 2018 12:46

You should interview Bill Biersach. He is/was a professor at the University of Southern California who taught a class on the Beatles, and I think also a class on Classic Rock.
According to a USC website, his email is biersach@usc.edu.

[music.usc.edu]

Posted by: CaptainCorella ()
Date: December 11, 2018 13:26

zgredzik
Hi fellow IORRians! I have a problem and also question for you. I am writing bachelor's thesis about impact made by Beatles and Stones. About their phenomen, social and cultural impact and how they influenced new generation of musicians, new music, art, how their image, style influenced the way people look etc. I am looking for the best books, ebooks, articles, everything. I dont mean I want this things in material way from you, I need your recommendations. I want to prove that sixties made by Stones and Beatles really changed the world. Hope you will help me, I will be grateful. Thank you very much! zgredzik

You're in the wrong place.

People here, myself included, can tell you about the minutae of (eg) what their favourite band were doing on the second friday in the fourth month of the 10th year since the band started. But generally speaking little attention is paid in depth to how they affected society and cultural mores.

You'd be better off asking in some 'sociology forum' - checking out what those folk think about what these bands did and how it affected others, (and then coming back here and checking the facts.)

eg The Beatles went to the Maharishi's ashram. So what? How did that actually affect the lives of others? It was a good publicity stunt by the Maharishi, but don't forget that Ringo couldn't stand the food, Paul left, John & George stayed on but left when the Maharishi was accused of improper activities with respect to Mia Farrow's sister Prudence. ("Dear Prudence").

eg. The Stones refused to get on the 'roundabout' at the end of Sunday Night at the London Palladium. Hardly earth shattering - although it did hit the headlines somewhat at the time. Of such stuff revolutions are NOT made.

PS. The Tony Sanchez recommended book is not sustainable in this context. File under fiction. He's a second rate drug dealer with a good yarn to tell.

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Date: December 11, 2018 13:47

Thank you, I wrote to Bill Biersach. CaptainCorella - I think there are people who love rock. And I am student, you can be a doctor, someone can be doctor i sociology. That's why I asked here, cause I know there are fans whose life was affected by their music. So it's important for me too smiling smiley and there was so many books etc about Stones/Beatles, that maybe some of IORRians read them and can recommend. So, still, I think it's a good place for this kind of question. Thank you all, I am waiting for further recommendations smiling smiley

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: December 11, 2018 14:47

Stanley Booth's and Bill German's are both good. Also, Ian McLagan's.

Date: December 11, 2018 20:25

You must read a solid book on Altamont. To this day one of the best I read about that ill fated festival was a yellow book in German called "Let it Bleed". And the film "Gimme Shelter".

I agree with Elmo; the type of books to read/ study on the Stones are the tales. The war stories, life on the road. Dalton, Carr, Greenberg.
But just recently I crawled through "Malvinni "experiencing the Rolling Stones" and it is ludicrous. Studying the Stones from some scholarly theory POV doesn't sit right.
The Beatles "All you need is Love", and Lewison's books. Probably something by George Martin. Beatles' impact was way bigger than the Stones. It never ever fails to amaZe me: to this day, and there have been many generations already, styles, fads - but everyone, literally everyone knows those Beatles songs.

Posted by: riffcliche69 ()
Date: December 12, 2018 05:05

I don’t know your first language, but if you know Dutch, then I would definitely recommend the opening chapters of Ger Tillekens’ thesis-turned- book “Het Geluid van de Beatles”. He’s a Dutch sociologist, bi-lingual, who studies sixties youth culture and Beatles music. In all my years of music study ( Stones included, of course), I’ve never come across an author like Dr. Tillekens. Years ago I used to translate several languages for public broadcasting, and his book so impressed me that for the last few years I’ve been translating it in my spare time. Fortunately, for English- speakers, there are some great things he’s written about sixties youth culture available online.

Posted by: angee ()
Date: December 12, 2018 18:15

zgredzik, email me. I could send you links to a couple of possible sources.

~"Love is Strong"~

Date: December 12, 2018 20:14

My first language is Polish, so Dutch will be difficult. I will send you a message! smiling smiley

Posted by: riffcliche69 ()
Date: December 13, 2018 05:38

I would also read the editorials contained in the reprints of California music critic Greg Shaw’s “Who Put the Bomp” newsletter(and then, magazine). He understood that American and British youth loved songs with a beat, and a “signature riff”. “Satisfaction” is based on a great original lick. The challenge for Mick and Keith was to think of a lyrical/rhythmical balance that, while adding a contemporary “feel”, compels the listener to not only hear (and dance to) the beat, but also to listen to the lyrics, which speak to what he encounters as a teenager. This is a subject few pop music analysts touch on: the link between song narrative, a great lick/ rhythm, and (in the case of The Beatles from early ‘64 on) unusual chord progressions. Indeed, this area is so unexplored that the initiate will feel as lost for words as an ancient cosmologist attempting to explain the moon’s effects on the tides.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: December 13, 2018 05:45

Good luck with your bachelor's thesis, zgredzik! smileys with beer

This article may be interesting or even useful for your research: A definitive list of the musicians who influenced our lives most

Date: December 22, 2018 14:09

Thank you mates! It will really help me, thank you for your wishes Cristiano! smileys with beer

Posted by: dave9199 ()
Date: December 22, 2018 14:37

Can't go wrong with Mark Lewisohn's Tune In for The Beatles. The first one I ever read was The Beatles Forever by Nicholas Schaffer. A lot of pictures in that one. What's interesting now is the fact it was written while Lennon was still alive. It goes into the solo years but to 1977. They were all given equal time in the book.

Also You Never Give Me Your Money by Peter Doggett is a great account of The Beatles business years starting with Apple and the effects its had up to when the book came out in 2008 or so. A lot of insight into them as people. The book is about the people, not the aura. I wish their would be a book on The Stones like that. I haven't read many but none felt like they had a lot of depth. By that I mean one about their music career and their personal lives intertwined.

Posted by: Carnaby ()
Date: December 22, 2018 18:58

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: December 22, 2018 20:25

There is a series of books called You Had To Be There/I Was There by Richard Houghton which is fan memories of seeing a particular band live in 60's.

The stones one was the first, no deep revelatationss, but it is great to have all the memories in a book and it does show some of the impact they had on people.

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 2018-12-22 20:39 by His Majesty.

Date: December 22, 2018 21:06

dcba
You need to read Tony Sachez book about the Stones. Sanchez, an ethnosociologist approaches the impact the band had on 1960's society. In the last chapter Sanchez switches gears and uses a Junguian/Freudian approach to explore Mick's influence on masculinity through the 70's and 80's, with a touch of French Theory.

Funny Freudian detail which is not in that book: According to Rose Millar, Taylor's first wife, Tony Sanchez stated that he fell in love with Mick after he left the Stones. One way direction I assume.

Date: December 23, 2018 01:33

dave9199
Can't go wrong with Mark Lewisohn's Tune In for The Beatles.

Indeed. Any book that acknowledges me personally in the thanks at the end has to be a good book! <big grin, not least because I didn't know it was there until I spotted it browsing in a bookshop one day waiting for my expanded copy to arrive from the UK>

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-12-23 01:33 by CaptainCorella.

Posted by: dave9199 ()
Date: December 23, 2018 03:50

CaptainCorella
dave9199

Indeed. Any book that acknowledges me personally in the thanks at the end has to be a good book!

What does it say?

Date: December 23, 2018 04:06

dave9199
CaptainCorella
dave9199

Indeed. Any book that acknowledges me personally in the thanks at the end has to be a good book!

What does it say?

P1625 (!!) of the extended edition - which is a VERY long read in two volumes - says..."Thanks to the following for helping me in a wide variety of ways (with three cheers for the invention of email)."... and down the page in alphabetical order, is my name. Same text in the credits of the normal edition, which I do not have.

The email thing is a laugh, because I'm sure I've got a letter somewhere from him declining my help in getting started on email. I'll see if I can find it.

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: December 23, 2018 04:13

dcba

Not sure why you would want to mislead someone that is looking for historical fact, not fiction. Probably the worst book ever about the Stones.

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: December 23, 2018 04:39

wow.
i come here and have to see this?
Mercy in spare supply int stonesland? okaaay...
i come here to hear about those dirty beetles or i come here to hear about stones.
how much TIME do you guys need for THAT one? eh?
is it a Tough question? well is it? Hey, kids, is it not 'awesome' enough for ya...eh?
if want fricken beetles i'll buy some RAT food ok?
[www.youtube.com]
Get it? GET IT !?
you do this to Hoppy on CHRISTMAS!? sugar plums ?
no
visions of whatever shit?
no.
fricken BEETLES here they are again the beetles the beetles the ONE place
i tell ya baby the fricken ONE ASS PLACE I DO NOT WANT TO SEE BEETLES IS WHERE THE KINGS LAY THEIR BURDEN DOWN BABY; IT'S ONLY YOU KNOW WHAT BABY NO BEETLES DAMMIT

Posted by: misterfrias ()
Date: December 23, 2018 20:32

The Exile book with Dominique Tarle's photographs from Genesis Publications is a great deep dive into the Exile-era Stones.

Greetings from the Jersey Shore.

Posted by: misterfrias ()
Date: December 23, 2018 20:37

GasLightStreet
dcba

Not sure why you would want to mislead someone that is looking for historical fact, not fiction. Probably the worst book ever about the Stones.

I have read a lot of disparaging remarks about this book. I read it and found thought it was actually very insightful. So I would recommend to the OP that he/she should probably read it and decide for him/herself.

Posted by: marianna ()
Date: December 23, 2018 20:50

Anything by David Dalton. I have a very old Stones book that he wrote in the '70s, and he updated it later for a book called "The First 20 Years." David is a somewhat pretentious writer who gets into cultural issues in his work.

Date: December 23, 2018 22:17

misterfrias
GasLightStreet
dcba

I have read a lot of disparaging remarks about this book. I read it and found thought it was actually very insightful. So I would recommend to the OP that he/she should probably read it and decide for him/herself.

Insightful if you believe in such fictional things as Keith getting his blood changed. The book is a giant slob job. It's a money grab full of lies.

Date: December 23, 2018 23:00

The Sanchez book may be a pile of horse manure, or it may not be a pile of horse manure, that's irrelevant

We're losing track of the OP's original focus.

S/he's not after the best written biographies of either of these two bands, but is looking for leads on reading about their social impact.

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Date: December 23, 2018 23:21

CaptainCorella
The Sanchez book may be a pile of horse manure, or it may not be a pile of horse manure, that's irrelevant

We're losing track of the OP's original focus.

S/he's not after the best written biographies of either of these two bands, but is looking for leads on reading about their social impact.

The relevance of the definition of redundant is proven right there, may or may not. Both imply the other.

And... it is the most worthless book written about the Stones.

Posted by: MILKYWAY ()
Date: December 27, 2018 21:42

UP & DOWN WITH THE ROLLING STONES is a good read. Would I quote it as a reference work? Probably not. Was it entertaining? Yes.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1289
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home