Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT Beach Boys copyright extension releases
Posted by: peoplewitheyes ()
Date: December 9, 2018 01:04

As the year draws to a close, BB fans have a wonderful gift again. This time two 40-track albums of wonderful outtakes, alternative versions etc from the year 1968.

There was a similar release last year, and in previous years.

Such a treasure trove of lovely songs and snippets.

I know the Stones recorded in a very different way from Brian and the BBs, and I know there's a lot of dull legal bullsh!t in the way, but I would love to hear high fidelity previously unheard works from the Stones' albums.

Anyone else thrilled with this BB release?

Re: OT Beach Boys copyright extension releases
Date: December 9, 2018 11:09

Guess I'm the only one then...

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: December 9, 2018 13:03

I read Mick is a Beach Boy fan. Not sure if true, sorry I am not.

I do have a new purchase of wonderful outtakes, alternative versions of
Rolling Stones I plan to unwrap and listen on a drive to a college pick up-
[www.rollingstonesnet.com]
The Black Box

Posted by: ash ()
Date: December 9, 2018 13:12

peoplewitheyes
Guess I'm the only one then...

Nope, I stayed up till midnight to get these when they appeared. Superb sets. Evidence of the continued genius of Brian Wilson and the emergence of Dennis as a creative force. So much to rave about on these two sets and some totally gobsmacking moments of musical beauty not to mention the snippet of I'm In Great Shape which, speaking as a Smile head, is the archival release of the year even if it's only 30 seconds long.
I cannot see the Stones getting this kind of treatment both in quantity and attention to detail. There's even a bit of the infamous "shag tape" !

Posted by: Mr.D ()
Date: December 9, 2018 13:41

What is the name of this years releases? I've looked around for them but can't find any mention of them---HELP!smiling smiley

Date: December 9, 2018 13:55

'Wake the World' and 'I Can Hear Music'

Mr.D

Date: December 9, 2018 15:09

peoplewitheyes

Mr.D
I just found them on EXY, thanks for the heads up!

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: December 9, 2018 17:00

Wasn't aware of this. Thank you.

Posted by: ThePaleRider ()
Date: December 9, 2018 19:04

Mr.D
peoplewitheyes

Mr.D

If you don't mind..What's EXY? Thanks!

Date: December 9, 2018 19:18

ThePaleRider
Mr.D
peoplewitheyes

Mr.D

If you don't mind..What's EXY? Thanks!
Exystence has tons of new releases! [exystence.net]

Posted by: marianna ()
Date: December 9, 2018 19:22

Is this the same as the Sea of Tunes bootleg material? I;m sure there may be more of it, but at least some of it has been around a long time.

Date: December 10, 2018 00:38

Oh man, this is just too much richness. The BBs were a going concern in 1968. So many variations, different ideas, so much colour and texture.

I saw Brian in concert in the summer and just sat there with tears rolling down my face looking at that genius of a man, so much amazing, soulful music that poured out of that young, troubled man.

Posted by: ash ()
Date: December 10, 2018 00:51

marianna
Is this the same as the Sea of Tunes bootleg material? I;m sure there may be more of it, but at least some of it has been around a long time.

I don't think there's much overlap. Much of it is completely new to me and I'm pretty obsessive on Brian Wilson up to 1971-ish.
These two sets are in pristine sound and contain some truly sensational stuff. In Beach Boys archival terms, probably only bettered by the Smile box and the Hawthorne 2cd set of a few years back.

Date: December 14, 2018 23:28

The Beach Boys – On Tour: 1968 (2018)

Beach Boys On the heels of two new collections of vault material celebrating the studio outtakes from Friends and 20/20, The Beach Boys have released a further copyright extension release featuring their work onstage. On Tour: 1968 presents 114 tracks recorded on the road in summer and winter 1968.
The Beach Boys were on somewhat rocky ground in 1968. Their popularity in the rock sphere was waning and their seemingly diminishing significance in public perception came to a head when The Beach Boys elected not to play at the Monterey Pop Festival in June of 1967. At that point, many wrote them off and preferred to focus on more “serious musicians.” Still, The Beach Boys continued to tour. In February, they launched a tour with Buffalo Springfield and performed…

747 MB 320 ** FLAC

…between recording sessions in the spring, though many of those dates were cancelled or rescheduled.
Prior to the release of the Friends album, the band announced a nationwide tour with the Maharishi Mahesh Yogi that was to include venues (mostly universities) nationwide during May 1968. However, poor sales and other personal pressures led to the cancellation of the entire tour after just five shows. The band went back out on the road in July, performing 40 dates across the U.S. and Canada, plus appearances on Dick Cavett, Mike Douglas, and The Tonight Show. The Beach Boys continued to tour the U.S. between sessions for 20/20 and, in the end of the year, began a tour of Europe. Their two December 8, 1968 gigs at Finsbury Park Astoria in London were recorded and selections were eventually released on Capitol as Live in London in 1970.

It’s from the July-December gigs that On Tour: 1968 is compiled. It presents, for the first time ever, 114 recordings from that year, almost all of them previously unreleased. We hear The Beach Boys at a career crossroads, performing their golden oldies as well as the more groundbreaking material that found its way on Friends and 20/20.

Date: December 15, 2018 00:17

I haven't checked out too much of these live '68 releases yet, I'm much more interested in studio takes, but am very grateful for it all being out there for us all the same.

Posted by: werner67976 ()
Date: January 13, 2019 19:59

I'm from Germany and unfortunately I'm unable to get the 1966 - 1968 Beach Boys downloads over here. amazon.co.uk or amazon.com want me to have connection to a local bank. They avoid my German Visa card. amazon in Germany doesn't offer these recordings at all. I saw some "free" download rips that won't work because they are password protected. It's a shame but I would love to get all those 1966 - 1968 copyright protection recordings. I also would love to pay for them. Could any kind soul give me a hint where to find them. Or PM me with some help, links or advises? Thanks!

Posted by: ab ()
Date: January 14, 2019 00:31

Try onkyomusic.com I got 16-44 FLAC files from that site in the US.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-01-14 00:33 by ab.

Date: January 14, 2019 01:38

werener, I just listen to them all on Spotify (the free version) here in the UK

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2174
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home