Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

poll: what % of your music-listening hours do you devote to the Stones?
Posted by: drewmaster ()
Date: December 8, 2018 15:15

I devote a much smaller percentage of my precious music-listening hours to the Stones than I did when I was younger. When I was in my 20s, it was probably 75%.

Now that I'm in my 50s, it's probably 5%.

How about you?

Drew

P.S. Will be most interested to see if anyone claims 100%!

Re: poll: what % of your music-listening hours do you devote to the Stones?
Posted by: tatters ()
Date: December 8, 2018 16:09

Well, I'll certainly never touch the radio dial while JJF is playing, and I might even turn up the volume a little, let's put it that way. grinning smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-12-08 16:10 by tatters.

Posted by: Woody24 ()
Date: December 8, 2018 16:35

I’m with you, drewmaster. These days, less than 10%. But no one else, with possible exception of Beatles (group and solo) gets any more than that.

"Take all the pain...It's yours anyway"

Posted by: FrogSugar ()
Date: December 8, 2018 16:36

1-2%

Posted by: syrel ()
Date: December 8, 2018 16:50

I'm a big Dylan fan as well as a big Stones fan and I fluctuate between the two - sometimes I'll listen to pretty much nothing but Dylan and then I'll have months when I listen to pretty much nothing but the Stones.

I really fell in love with the band again following the 2012 shows. I would say since then, about 80% of my listening has been Stones, though that is mainly bootlegs.

syrel

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: December 8, 2018 16:58

My guess is that it may be approximately 20 percent. Worse is that I am looking more forward to listen to music by others. That effect is a result of a need to listen to music that is new for me. This is why a new Stones album is most vital to me. And after a recent Stones related release has monopolised my listening time in the beginning, some freshness is for a period diffused over their other music, which I then will have had a break from.

Date: December 8, 2018 17:23

Lesser than I used to. Maybe 20 percent now.

Date: December 8, 2018 17:32

DandelionPowderman
Lesser than I used to. Maybe 20 percent now.

Thanks. That makes me feel better. I've been feeling so guilty about the diminishing time I devote listening to the band that once ruled my world.

It's like I'm watching a ship sailing away with the love of my life and I cannot do anything to stop it.

Drew

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: December 8, 2018 18:22

There's other music? Actually about 25 percent.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-12-08 18:23 by More Hot Rocks.

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: December 8, 2018 18:36

15.7%

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: December 8, 2018 18:49

When there's no tour apprx. .079%
When there is a tour apprx. .097%

Posted by: nick ()
Date: December 8, 2018 18:49

Lately it's been 100%. Currently going through the 60's catalog. 2002 SACD's, London CD's (a few Abkco's), Mono Box CD's. Variations are abundant. Mono/Stereo, Short/Long, etc. Nice to have. Remembering what is where challenging but enjoyable.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: December 8, 2018 19:07

It varies.

Sometimes I'll go for months without listening to anything.

Then I'll play TATTOO YOU or GOATS HEAD SOUP all the way through or MADE IN THE SHADE or UNDERCOVER or STICKY FINGERS or LET IT BLEED. Or my own deluxe version of MADE IN THE SHADE or TIME WAITS FOR NO ONE, those eras.

It used to be over 50% but now it's probably 1%. I listen to The Cult, Soundgarden, QOTSA and Jason Isbell and quite a few others a lot.

Posted by: masseywinos ()
Date: December 8, 2018 19:13

Syrel I'm the same as you. Back and forth between Dylan and the Stones. I do go off track now and again. Skynyrd, Young, Drive By Truckers, Zeppelin etc. Stones likely 25% of the time.

Posted by: Stonesfan13 ()
Date: December 8, 2018 19:27

Unfortunately with 6 kids and 9 grandkids ( 1 that lives with us ) not much listening time at home! But in my truck I’d say there’s a 95 plus percent chance there’s a Stones cd in the player! But there’s always a chance you’ll find a Fabulous Poodles, J. Geils, Sabbath, Ramones, or any other classic rock band cd in there!

Date: December 8, 2018 19:42

With me it is phases, and also locations. There have most definitely been times when Stones intake was 100%! But I think everyone knows, that is not healthy.
In the car I tend to listen to a lot of Stones.Nowadays it is almost all outtakes or solo Stones though.

Posted by: OpenG ()
Date: December 8, 2018 20:05

About 20% now we downsized and got rid of cars and we moved to Portland Oregon and live downtown, so no music now when driving. I probably now play my guitar each day more then listen to stones. I always do 15 minutes of scales before playing anything. I work remotely as a CPA and always have some background music.

Date: December 8, 2018 20:19

OpenG
About 20% now we downsized and got rid of cars and we moved to Portland Oregon and live downtown, so no music now when driving. I probably now play my guitar each day more then listen to stones. I always do 15 minutes of scales before playing anything. I work remotely as a CPA and always have some background music.

Well OpenG I hope you still find time in your day for Voodoo Donuts.

Drew

Posted by: OpenG ()
Date: December 8, 2018 20:58

osted by: drewmaster ()
Date: December 8, 2018 20:19

OpenG

Well OpenG I hope you still find time in your day for Voodoo Donuts.

Drew

We normally go at least twice a month - I run each day and have run 23 marathons and run across the steel bride, broadway bride, morrison bride and end on east side of willimette on espanda and go over tilimunk bride back on west side and go back to pearl district. The vegan donuts are awesome I know that defeats the whole idea of eating a donut LOL

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: December 8, 2018 21:35

What has changed is the way I listen to music these days. When I became a fan in the early eighties it was mostly through vinyl and cassettes (including VHS). Later on CD:s and DVD:s of course.
Nowadays it's mostly Youtube, Spotify and radio- and tv-channels (either direct or via play). The thing is, they hardly play Stones on the radio anymore.
Percent? I don't know, 10 maybe. Certainly less than it used to be.

Posted by: switchblade1975 ()
Date: December 8, 2018 22:43

when I was 10 years old my sister gave me my first Rolling Stones lp,it was live if you want it,I played at all the time,now that I am 60 I play the Stones75% of the time, when my Wife is out I turn it up loud with 4 Bose 901,and rock out.

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: December 8, 2018 22:48

99%
1%
ac/dc
cheezuz bunch of girls on this site

Posted by: grzegorz67 ()
Date: December 8, 2018 22:53

Good question. The answer is very little indeed. I just love Going to the actual gigs and all the fun of the travel, social gatherings and day out. I’ve heard it so much. It’s always gratifying to hear Stones music on radio or TV or on the PA in a public place. It’s all a bit like supporting a favourite football (soccer for you Americanswinking smiley ) team for me and cheering them on.

If I find some Stones concert or other footage on YouTube I haven’t previously seen, I’ll watch and listen.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: December 8, 2018 23:03

….. almost 100% when I'm drivin' the War Wagon ….
Its the greatest way ta suck up the miles …….
Home …. more like rocksteady in da morning...
Stones don't usually showup till mid-arvo ….Aftermath side 2 UK
Sticky's cool for layin the head down … Moonlight floats ya out
But lately it's been Patton or Johnson …..zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

ROCKMAN

Date: December 9, 2018 15:42

Thanks to those who responded. So looks like, for the majority, the proportion of your time spent with the Stones is going down.

Anyone feel guilty or sad about that?

Drew

Date: December 9, 2018 16:49

drewmaster
Thanks to those who responded. So looks like, for the majority, the proportion of your time spent with the Stones is going down.

Drew

I hope no one would feel such a way about that. Because it is the right thing to do. An average age of core group here would be late 40's , mid 50's.
That spells many years of listening to music. To stay stagnant on one band for 40 years would be a sad state of affairs.
So, it is only sensible to chisel down to time you spend digging your favorite band. It has become a more selective, and cherished act.

Date: December 9, 2018 19:31

Palace Revolution 2000
drewmaster

Drew

I hope no one would feel such a way about that. Because it is the right thing to do. An average age of core group here would be late 40's , mid 50's.
That spells many years of listening to music. To stay stagnant on one band for 40 years would be a sad state of affairs.
So, it is only sensible to chisel down to time you spend digging your favorite band. It has become a more selective, and cherished act.

Well said.

Drew

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1773
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home