Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

July 4, 1978
Posted by: Darin75 ()
Date: December 7, 2018 16:21

Found the audio for the Stones show at Rich Stadium, Buffalo, NY on July 4, 1978.
The opening acts were: Journey, April Wine and the Atlanta Rhythm section.
I've been looking for this boot for so long! Just found it and thought you guys would enjoy hearing it too!

[www.youtube.com]

[www.youtube.com]

Re: July 4, 1978
Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: December 7, 2018 20:33

I had posted this before

Date: December 7, 2018 20:50

It’s actually a pretty good concert with high energy compared to the Philadelphia show several weeks before. I have yet to hear the Cleveland show so I can’t make an inference on it but I like this show already. I’m from the Buffalo area and have been trying to locate this show for awhile. Glad I found it. What do you think about this show?

Posted by: tomk ()
Date: December 8, 2018 04:42

I have about a third of this show on other boots, but this total one shows they were damn good on this day. Too bad we don't have more photos.
I have a soft spot for the JFK and Anaheim gigs, though.
The boot I have from Cleveland seems to start out good but kinda loses something; maybe the weather (didn't it rain that day?).
Are there any tapes from Boulder? There's very few photos from that show as well.

Posted by: Carnaby ()
Date: December 8, 2018 07:15

Philadelphia was a good show. People were just not ready for the stripped down set.

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: December 8, 2018 08:18

Is there a complete download available for this show?

I can't believe its been 40 years. I was on the floor in the general admission crowd. This may be the first time I've heard this since attending the show. I'll say this, if "Miss You" sounded this good today, I'd never want it removed from the setlist.

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: December 8, 2018 08:48

The 78 tour never fails to still sound fresh.

Date: December 8, 2018 15:29

Wow that’s cool! Hey Sicilian! Did you go to show at Rich Stadium in ‘75 too?

Date: December 8, 2018 18:58

Darin75

No, I wanted to go, but my mom wouldn't let me. My brother went to both shows in 75, I don't think he wanted me tagging along (I was 12, he was 16) so I was sent to my cousins house to sleep over. I remember watching the 11:00 news and the newscaster at the start saying "Lets go out to Rich Stadium and see what's happening with the Rolling Stones." I saw a live shot with Mick dancing around on stage and I was totally disappointed I couldn't be there. However, from that point forward, I was determined to start seeing concerts. Seven months later in March of 1976 I attended my first show at the Aud, David Bowie.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: December 8, 2018 19:02

I was completely interested in other things back in July 4, 1978......I just got married...........Great concert though

Posted by: pmk251 ()
Date: December 8, 2018 20:47

Same day, six years earlier. One of the most extravagant guitar performances of the tour.

[www.youtube.com]

Date: December 8, 2018 22:15

The Sicilian
Darin75

No, I wanted to go, but my mom wouldn't let me. My brother went to both shows in 75, I don't think he wanted me tagging along (I was 12, he was 16) so I was sent to my cousins house to sleep over. I remember watching the 11:00 news and the newscaster at the start saying "Lets go out to Rich Stadium and see what's happening with the Rolling Stones." I saw a live shot with Mick dancing around on stage and I was totally disappointed I couldn't be there. However, from that point forward, I was determined to start seeing concerts. Seven months later in March of 1976 I attended my first show at the Aud, David Bowie.
Nice meeting someone from WNY on here! I’m from the south towns Angola lol I’ve listened to the 75 bootlegs (TOTA is my favorite Tour!) but never the ‘78 show until now. . Sounds like a fun time to be at!

Posted by: black n blue ()
Date: December 9, 2018 04:05

Brother has about thirty slides from that show. Been trying to get them from him for thirty years now.

Posted by: inspector71 ()
Date: December 9, 2018 04:50

I was there . Right up front on the floor. Keith's side . good to see a full audio of show is available as I have a boot with partial show. (Satisfaction Guaranteed ") Hoping some pics of the show will show up . 78 was special for me.

Posted by: Cooltoplady ()
Date: December 9, 2018 04:57

Terrible show. Hated it. I think I was the only sober one there, including the band.

Posted by: Roscoe ()
Date: December 9, 2018 06:29

Darin75
I have yet to hear the Cleveland show so I can’t make an inference on it but I like this show already.

The Cleveland '78 show has always been considered a leading contender for the title of the worst show the Stones ever played. I was there and can confirm it was pretty sad.

(I've seen about three dozen Stones concerts over the years going back to '69 so I've got standing to judge.)grinning smiley

Date: December 9, 2018 07:34

Cooltoplady
Terrible show. Hated it. I think I was the only sober one there, including the band.

I have to admit, and have over the years on this site that the 78 show was a big disappointment at the time for many people I know that attended including myself. I guess we all expected a lot of Stones and pretty much got all of "Some Girls." With exception of "Miss You" and "Beast of Burden," the album wasn't even on shelves for month when they unfolded it into the setlist. The opener "Let It Rock" was horrible and many people really weren't familiar with it, and the fact that it was a afternoon show was a real bummer. The daylight is very distracting during a concert. You lose a lot of intimacy with the band, music, and the crowd.

That being said, listening to it now, the "Some Girls" stuff sounded brilliant in retrospect. None of those songs played in the last 30 years has sounded that good and hard. We were two songs away from a complete album play. At least we got "Lies." It really takes time to appreciate music, it's kind of like a good wine.

Date: December 9, 2018 18:14

Roscoe
Darin75
I have yet to hear the Cleveland show so I can’t make an inference on it but I like this show already.

The Cleveland '78 show has always been considered a leading contender for the title of the worst show the Stones ever played. I was there and can confirm it was pretty sad.

(I've seen about three dozen Stones concerts over the years going back to '69 so I've got standing to judge.)grinning smiley
Did you see their show at the Municipal Stadium in ‘75 too? And which ‘69 show did you go too?

Posted by: virgil ()
Date: December 9, 2018 22:25

I purchased a yellow Rolling Stones Tuxedo that some local radio station had made up for promoting the show. I’m sure some IORR member could post a picture of it. I loved it and thought it was pretty cool at the time.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-12-09 22:26 by virgil.

Posted by: rbk ()
Date: December 10, 2018 21:44

Cleveland '78 was the worst show the Stones ever did. Everything about the day,the crowd, the openers (Kansas? Seriously?),the fights, the bikers, the bad drugs,the weather, the sloppy delivery, Mick's atrociously ruined voice (when his mic wasn't cutting out), hus silly red hat... everything was SO ugly.

Posted by: doster ()
Date: December 11, 2018 02:42

Agreed, I was there too. Every Stones show since has been better!

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: December 11, 2018 05:52

rbk
Cleveland '78 was the worst show the Stones ever did. Everything about the day,the crowd, the openers (Kansas? Seriously?),the fights, the bikers, the bad drugs,the weather, the sloppy delivery, Mick's atrociously ruined voice (when his mic wasn't cutting out), hus silly red hat... everything was SO ugly.

Buffalo was just as bad. Of the dozens and dozens of Stones concerts I have been too. This was probably the worst.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-12-11 05:53 by More Hot Rocks.

Posted by: Roscoe ()
Date: December 11, 2018 06:18

Darin75
Roscoe
Darin75

Did you see their show at the Municipal Stadium in ‘75 too? And which ‘69 show did you go too?

Yes, I saw the '75 CLE show as well. Also the '75 Milwaukee show. In '69 I saw them in Detroit. Now THAT was a show!

Posted by: andrews27 ()
Date: December 12, 2018 06:25

See also these Buffalo pages:

[www.rirocks.net]...

[www.tapatalk.com]-...

[rocksoff.org]

I was at Buffalo 8-8-75 and 7-4-78, and neither were as awful as some claim, and each had many charms. My 7-4-78 complaints are registered at the Rocks Off page above.

Good luck finding and remastering that lossless, Falo.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-12-12 06:27 by andrews27.

Posted by: falo01 ()
Date: December 12, 2018 10:43

andrews27

I was at Buffalo 8-8-75 and 7-4-78, and neither were as awful as some claim, and each had many charms. My 7-4-78 complaints are registered at the Rocks Off page above.

Good luck finding and remastering that lossless, Falo.

yes could be fun. two monos can make a nice stereo. will see what happens.

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: December 12, 2018 11:16

pmk251
Same day, six years earlier. One of the most extravagant guitar performances of the tour.

[www.youtube.com]

yes i was there in d.c. for the july 4, 1972 show at RFK stadium.
I was sitting on the home team dugout, the stage was around the 2nd base area,
so the seats and sonics were tremendously good.
These are the first boots I've ever heard of what went on that day; and yes,
Mr. Taylor is just out of this world passionate and strong here....

...also saw them a few weeks later in NYC at Mick's birthday cake show
which also featured Stevie and Wonderlove jamming beautifully w the Stones
at the very end...
just overwhelmingly blessed to see these two shows; this version
of The Stones would never tour North America again.

Posted by: curt ()
Date: December 12, 2018 13:52

tomk
I have about a third of this show on other boots, but this total one shows they were damn good on this day. Too bad we don't have more photos.
I have a soft spot for the JFK and Anaheim gigs, though.
The boot I have from Cleveland seems to start out good but kinda loses something; maybe the weather (didn't it rain that day?).
Are there any tapes from Boulder? There's very few photos from that show as well.

Here are a couple from each of those:

Buffalo:

Boulder:

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1955
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home